IGNORED

PS3 encryption keys now on the net

HammR25

So instead of giving the kid a job to find ways to make their console more secure (and being under NDAs and whatnot as an employee, which would give them more control over his actions), they just tell him never to tinker with their hardware again. Missed opportunity. Idiots.

• Like 1

So instead of giving the kid a job to find ways to make their console more secure (and being under NDAs and whatnot as an employee, which would give them more control over his actions), they just tell him never to tinker with their hardware again. Missed opportunity. Idiots.

This was Sony pulling back to save face. They got him to agree to not hack the PS3 anymore, and in turn, he doesn't have to pay them millions in losses he doesn't have.

Two things are pretty clear here:

Sony realized this wasn't good for PR and would ultimately cost them way more than they could ever hope to recoup from a penniless college student, and Anonymous rendering their PSN utterly useless was the final nail in the coffin.

Sony didn't win. They called a truce.

I wonder if folks will get the OtherOS feature added back into the console and a public apology from Sony?

Those were two of the terms Hotz had in mind if he was going to settle with Sony.

Also what happens to all the donations now that he has settled.

His lawyers probably billed him for whatever money was donated.

Exactly. He stopped accepting donations a while ago when he had enough to cover what the lawyers asked for.

Also - in BIGGER Sony news - Mathieulh and a few others have added a shit ton of information to the PS3 Dev wiki, including the long sought after PRIVATE NPDRM keys.

This essentially opens up every nook and cranny on the PS3, and should allow for effortless Homebrew development.

http://ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Keys#Modules

I wonder if folks will get the OtherOS feature added back into the console and a public apology from Sony?

Those were two of the terms Hotz had in mind if he was going to settle with Sony.

Also what happens to all the donations now that he has settled.

Nah. I doubt we'll ever see OtherOS returned to the PS3 from Sony. It'll have to be hacked in, and of course, that's what started this whole fiasco in the first place.

On the other hand, I think Sony called a truce. The settlement basically said Hotz can't spill any more beans about hacking the PS3. Thing is, Hotz doesn't have any more beans to spill. Other folks will continue distributing the info instead. Hotz let the genie out of the bottle. There's no way to put it back in again, unfortunately for Sony. So really, Hotz wound up on the winning side of this deal, if indeed there is a winning side at all. He gets to go home without repercussions from Sony. Sony will leave the man alone going forward.

And for that matter, Hotz and all concerned still get to have their cake and eat it to, as PS3 systems are still hacked, and those that want to use Linux on them can do so without connecting them up to Sony's servers. Homebrewers, too. It precludes having to own two seperate PS3 systems (one for kosher gaming online, one for homebrew that never knows about Sony's server farms). But at this point it would seem that it could be done, as long as you aren't drawing attention to yourself concerning the matter. And again I'll reiterate, I have no problems at all with someone wanting to use the PS3 for homebrew, Linux, etc., as long as they keep it offline and do not cheat using a hacked system, and do not exercise piracy. That's my only concern, and I know there are some that will, but there are also a good many that won't.

Worse, it's a back door claim to ownership of HIS hardware. He has agreed that SONY does own HIS hardware, and SONY didn't have to go and set legal precedent for that. Over time, enough of those will lean the courts their way. Not good longer term.

I actually think SONY was smart about it from their point of view. Entering court would not have been pretty for them, and would have cost legal, plus a lot of sales / good will. Not that they haven't paid some of that already, but it would have been significantly worse.

Secondly, there was a very real risk of a decision not entirely favorable to them being made, and that would have established some law today.

Done this way, they get something to crow about, shut Hotz down on their stuff, get a implied ownership without any of the risks, putting the problem off into the future after more settlements of this kind have been reached.

The longer term outcome could be very good for them, bad for us, IMHO.

And if I were Hotz, I would release it ALL by proxy. There isn't anything saying that "bob" from a country more friendly to this kind of thing, can't continue on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At least PSN is free. Now they don't have to give people a free month of service for all the down time.

what about the PSN plus users ?

I don't think that's currently being spun as 'paying for psn.'

This is a good thing, since a lot of ps3 multiplayer is hosted peer-to-peer anyway and I'd expect a much higher level of service for something I pay for.

At least PSN is free. Now they don't have to give people a free month of service for all the down time.

what about the PSN plus users ?

I don't think that's currently being spun as 'paying for psn.'

This is a good thing, since a lot of ps3 multiplayer is hosted peer-to-peer anyway and I'd expect a much higher level of service for something I pay for.

I never did like PSN. You get what you pay for and in my opinion XBL is a much better option.

• Like 4

I just tried to play Motorstorm Pacific Rift and couldn't until I unplugged my internet connection because it kept looking for an update. I'm trying to figure out how it knew there was another update to download if PSN is down.

Oh and now Sony is saying this was caused by Hackers.

http://techland.time.com/2011/04/23/sony-admits-playstation-network-%E2%80%98affected%E2%80%99-by-external-attackers/

Capcom are the only ones so far with must-be-online-to-play-DRM as far as I know. The reason PSN was shut down could be getting free games as this guy mentions.

I dont know, it makes sense if they shut it down to prevent theft of some sort.

Well there you have it kids. Start hacking and this is what you get --> Greedy bastards that take it too far and then we get the short end of the stick.

It all goes back to..."do whataver the hell you want but if it effects me in a negative way then I'm against it".

Adobe is doing the same thing....introducing a subscription model for upgrades, partly to fight all the hacked copies of Adobe suites.

Pirates pirate and honest folk pay for it through DRM and other bullshit. That's how its going to be.

Edited by cimerians

Well,

One could avoid CAPCOM and ADOBE. I do. It's not hard.

Vote with your feet, or reconsider life expectations. Both are valid, giving them only the power you give them.

One such expectation is that tethered products are only rentals, even though you "buy" them. Know that, and set expectations accordingly, and value accordingly.

The CAPCOM game is just some experience. If having it is worth it, then their position is no big deal. If it isn't, there are a LOT of other experiences that are.

Got a big project? Maybe Adobe can save some time. Maybe others can save that same time, or maybe labor can be traded for dollars, or the project isn't viable.

Well,

One could avoid CAPCOM and ADOBE. I do. It's not hard.

Vote with your feet, or reconsider life expectations. Both are valid, giving them only the power you give them.

One such expectation is that tethered products are only rentals, even though you "buy" them. Know that, and set expectations accordingly, and value accordingly.

The CAPCOM game is just some experience. If having it is worth it, then their position is no big deal. If it isn't, there are a LOT of other experiences that are.

Got a big project? Maybe Adobe can save some time. Maybe others can save that same time, or maybe labor can be traded for dollars, or the project isn't viable.

You cant avoid it when its not discovered or disclosed until AFTER the fact you paid for it.

Then to tell you later AFTER the fact that you need to be online to play? That you now need to subscribe to get updates?

Capcom has apologized and now discloses DRM. Supposedly. There are threads on that here at Atari Age and all over the net about that fiasco.

Adobe simply doesn't give a damn.

I can see why people get pissed and steal shit. But I also can see how it can really screw with people who have no part in it and just want to fucking play their game and they cant.

PlayStation Outage Makes Some Capcom Games Unplayable Offline

http://kotaku.com/#!5794533/playstation-outage-makes-some-capcom-games-unplayable-offline

Yep, and after experiencing that, the best path is just to empower ourselves to avoid that mess in the future.

My first few experiences with DRM lead me to build skill on open code, open computing, open standards for data.

Sometimes a DRM product is worth it. Often it's not.

People get pissed and infringe on shit, sure. They also use this mess as the out to do it for self-serving reasons too.

In the end, there are lots of good choices, and I'm all about people making good choices more than not.

The bigger companies are gonna do this to make more money. Fact. They never give a damn. Never have, never will. Knowing that is the first part of resolving the problem. That they don't give a damn isn't some out to infringe, nor does it excuse failure to deliver the value promised to their customers either.

This is why educating people on their choices is important, and keeping things open is important. When people have choices, and things are open, competition can happen, and there can be solutions for people in need of one.

Really, that is as good as it's ever gonna get on these things.

So, two examples:

One, a game. When I buy games now, I don't count on them enduring for any length of time. It's a experience, and I enjoy it, and that means I don't value it very highly. If they tether it, then it needs to be cheap ass, because that is all it is worth. If they will put it on media for me, where I can play off-line, swap with friends, backup, run under emulation, etc... then it's worth a whole lot more.

On software, I have some software I use that I paid for. Stuffed it in a virtual machine I can run as long as I want to, on a lot of platforms, when I want to, etc... Protected myself, and have no issues doing that. In the past, and in the future I would use a crack, in a second, to secure my license purchase too. Not gonna rip them off, but also am not gonna take a risk that I don't need to, and that there is no value added to justify.

One more:

Movies, music and books. Buy open. It's that simple. They can sell a CD, or non-DRM digital file, or give me a PDF, or... And I'll easily pay full boat for those, because I get a very long service life, on my own devices, even ones I made myself, can swap with friends, transcode, etc...

I simply will not buy closed, because there isn't any value there.

Last one: Devices.

Don't buy closed devices, unless you are prepared to treat it like a rental, because that is what it is. Closed things are not worth much, because you are not trusted to use them as you see fit. Open devices? Pay top dollar, because you will see very high use value.

People can step up on this, educate themselves and value stuff properly. When they do, these DRM advocates will find it's expensive to fuck people over, and it will balance properly.

Edited by potatohead

I just tried to play Motorstorm Pacific Rift and couldn't until I unplugged my internet connection because it kept looking for an update. I'm trying to figure out how it knew there was another update to download if PSN is down.

Updates aren't tied into PSN, but a separate net site. Ever notice that when you are prompted for an update (game or firmware), you are logged out of PSN? That's why Netflix is still working even though PSN is down.

Mendon