IGNORED

PS3 encryption keys now on the net

HammR25

Also some downsides to this I guess...

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/323-ps3-hacks-render-modern-warfare-2-online-modes-unplayable-say-fans

The hackers' work, which allows savvy PS3 owners to run non-Sony-approved code on their machines, has resulted in a wave of cheaters and hackers targeting older Call of Duty titles, leaving them "in total shambles and unplayable," as one fan told Joystiq.com.

Some of those who happened upon hacked servers have suffered permanent consequences, including the deletion of all their accumulated multiplayer stats and experience -- and according to the Call of Duty team, players can expect the situation to continue.

To answer an earlier question. Yes being able to sign stuff will make for a much easier experience eventually. But as it is now the homebrewers are still poking around and learning the system. Like on the Wii and PSP I think most homebrewers are trying to go the "official ODK (Open developers kit)" route. Stuff like that takes time. But being able to sign stuff will make this far easier.

But as was pointed out there is still alot about the hierarchy of the PS3 operating system that is gonna take them a while to figure out.

As for cheaters... as I saw pointed out on other forums the cheaters have been around looong before the PS3 security was broke.

Some things that I would like to see..

the ability to play PS1 and PS2 "backups" or play them off the hard drive, external usb, or network. This can be partially done with PS2 games, swap magaic and open iso loader.

For non Phat PS2's extend that to use any "software" emulation that Sony has made where you can inject images (like the popsloader on the PSP). If this is possible. The PSP's PSX emulator is quite nice.

We can already send the PS3's output to the PSP. Would be nice to be able to do that to a PC.

FTP server as part of the CFW. I'd like to be able to FTP into the PS3 when need be without having to load a seperate program.

Sometype of FS redirection where you can redirect to either an external USB or networked share.

OtherOs? Where is it anyways? They hacked these keys in the name of OtherOs.. yet no one has restored it yet. ;) :P

Kinect support? j/k :lol:

There is a feature in a PSP program called IRshell that lets you launch other programs (including the XMB) and jump back to the IRshell so you can do things like browse web files, pdf files, etc.

That's just it off the top of my head.

Edited by Shannon

As for cheaters... as I saw pointed out on other forums the cheaters have been around looong before the PS3 security was broke.

Right, that link discussed the huge influx of cheaters newly appearing.

I imagine it went from a hand full, to a butt load.

Bad news for folks who enjoy playing the latest games online right now.

The solution they gave? Only play with people you know. LOL

There ya go.

Regardless, sucks for the honest folks just looking for a game.

+1 rep

It will suck, greatly. I have a few games that I keep for the online playability more than the single-player stuff. Once these games are junk online, I'll probably have no use for them. Likely all that will be ruined very shortly. We're all going to have to get as much play in NOW before all the games are crap.

Microsoft is jumping in with an anti-piracy update

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-360-gets-an-anti-piracy-update-192132.phtml

It's all about stealing games.

I was wondering what the update did.

Tempest

From what I've heard that update has been fairly affective so far, is microsoft's update the result of ps3's encryption getting cracked?

Think about that, and carry on with the discussion.

I dunno, I buy consoles to play the newest games made for that console. I genuinely like video games and I'm interested in playing the latest and greatest companies have to offer. I couldn't care less about playing creaky games from a dozen old systems on that console for free. I couldn't care less if someone makes their own homebrew games for that system right now. I couldn't care less about "backing up" anything, I couldn't care less about cheating online in tournaments against other people and mostly I couldn't care less about ripping off game companies by playing games I didn't pay for .

I can't imagine some kid getting his first PS3 at Xmas, then spending $60 on a brand new just released game, being all excited to try it out, and realizing it sucks because he can't kill anyone because they've cheated. I'm glad MS updated. Keep this lame shit off the 360. Idiots want to screw around and hack a system, do it after the system is dead so folks who don't care about the geeky lameness can enjoy their newest games! LOL

I could care less about playing creaky games from a dozen old systems on that console for free. I could care less if someone makes their own homebrew games for that system right now. I could care less about "backing up" anything, I could care less about cheating online in tournaments against other people and mostly I could care less about ripping off game companies by playing games I didn't pay for .

I know people who would be raging over this. It's "couldn't care less", not "could care less". "Could care less" implies you DO care. ;)

Idiots want to screw around and hack a system, do it after the system is dead so folks who don't care about the geeky lameness can enjoy their newest games! LOL

This I agree with, although not particularly for the same reason. People are making homebrew infinitely harder on themselves by trying to crack open the systems while the systems are still commercially viable. They should understand by now, after half a decade of firmware updates, that they're playing a cat and mouse game that keeps upping the restrictions and requirements to open a console. Not saying they shouldn't spend their time trying to hack them if they so desire, but if they're successful they should keep that fact to themselves until AFTER the console is dropped commercially.

It's a lot harder for a company to explain to a court of law why they sent out a console bricking update after they dropped support for it, and it becomes nothing but a liability for them to keep working on it's firmware when they're no longer producing games for it and are in fact trying to recoup costs for their current console that followed it.

I know people who would be raging over this.

Fixed. Wouldn't want any raging!

People are making homebrew infinitely harder on themselves by trying to crack open the systems while the systems are still commercially viable.

Not to mention the fact with tools like Microsoft XNA, anyone that wants to make an indie game can legitimately do so right this very second if they desire, without cracking anything.

OtherOs? Where is it anyways? They hacked these keys in the name of OtherOs.. yet no one has restored it yet. ;) :P

If you re-enable OtherOS you get the same limitations as on a pre-3.40 phat console (seventh SPU locked out, no RSX access)

Marcan has written his own Linux Bootloader for the PS3 called AsbestOS instead, giving you full hardware access.

Looks like Sony has decided to go with serial keys to fix the piracy problem.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/1/21/sony-rumoured-be-adding-serial-keys-ps3/

I was afraid they'd do something stupid like this. Basically, if you don't have your system connected to the internet you don't play. Not sure what this will do to rentals but it pretty much kills buying used games, since you can't be sure they included serial isn't banned.

I was afraid they'd do something stupid like this. Basically, if you don't have your system connected to the internet you don't play. Not sure what this will do to rentals but it pretty much kills buying used games, since you can't be sure they included serial isn't banned.

If Sony decides to go this way then they will just drive more people to piracy. While I never sell my games I sometimes do buy games used. If I can't buy older games used for a reasonable price because Sony killed the resale market then I will consider hacking my PS3. There have been several older 360 and PS3 games that I missed when they first came out that I've bought on Amazon or EBay used. I don't want to get into this downloading and burning crap but if Sony forces me to I will...

Since I also have a 360 if Sony does that I'll definitely not buy any more games for my PS3 unless they're exclusives and even then I'll have to think long and hard about it.

I work at a used game store and this would kill us. Hundreds of dollars, thousands throughout the chain, would go to waste. We would have hundreds of useless copies of ps3 games. How could they even consider this as an option.. :x

Key word: Rumour

I work at a used game store and this would kill us. Hundreds of dollars, thousands throughout the chain, would go to waste. We would have hundreds of useless copies of ps3 games. How could they even consider this as an option.. :x

Even if they did add serial keys, it would only apply to new titles. There's no way to retrofit existing PS3 games with keys.

You say that like it is a bad thing, Moycon.

There are too many 13 year old boys playing Call of Duty multiplayer to enjoy it.

The 16 year old's are worse.

Regardless, sucks for the honest folks just looking for a game.

Ha! I see what you did there...