IGNORED

PS3 encryption keys now on the net

HammR25

i have not read all of this thread... but a quick question:

it is shown on the seventh page of this thread that this is an easy process to downgrade and add the cfw. takes roughly 10 mins or so.

i use my ps3 to play Black Ops online and to play in an NCAA dynasty. is it easy to go back so i can play online?

Edited by EricDeLee

I think the answer "because we can" still holds validation here.

Again, You can shoot people with a $400 gun you own. "Because we can" is not always valid.

If you live in a small apartment, then you very well may not have the room. Or you don't enjoy the clutter of having multiple systems. Whatever the reason, why is it a problem if they want to have everything on one machine?

I lived in a two room efficiency apartment in Marietta GA for 5 years and had almost every system ever made. This was back before there were even such things as emulators.

You're going to have a REAL hard time convincing me the space argument is anything but nonsense. Sorry.

I honestly don't have a problem. Like I said, just didn't get it, but whatever, me getting it isn't important. :cool:

And really I don't have an issue with emulators, it's everything else that comes with hacking a system that makes it suck for the honest folks I guess.

I know some folks here would only be interested in emulation, there are also some folks who will use the hacked system to pirate the latest games and exploit the latest games. My guess is it'll be real easy to tell who is who.

Ok, I will add the Wife argument followed by the kids argument. My wife does not want a living room with 10 different consoles sitting beneath the TV with their associated peripherals, games wires etc. And I don't want my 4 year old sticking cookies in the cart slot/dvd slot of my treasured retro stuff.

You can believe what you want about pirating stuff, it has been going on from the days of the 2600, and will continue to do so. Just because someone runs a CFW does not make them a pirate.

• Like 3

and I don't buy the "it affects millions" bit either.

PS3 Units sold = 47.9 million

Don't even try to argue this point. Enjoy your lame emulation, cheating and piracy on the PS3 Underball.

If all you really care about is the emulation, get an Xbox pal, they are like $20 on eBay.

Please don't bitch in the future when all games are DLC and all consoles are streaming. Most folks here won't,we just like enjoying the latest and greatest. ;)

But if you're admittedly happy and satisfied paying "hard earned cash" for your games, then Sony making them DLC only, or adding DRM shouldn't bother you at all. In fact - you should be delighted that Sony is taking steps to get rid of all this Piracy you claim to hate once and for all, and you won't ever be "bothered" by pirates and hackers again.

But you're not. You want your cake and want to eat it too.

It sounds like you look at DLC and DRM as bad things. That sounds like the EXACT same argument the pirates and hackers are making towards Sony. It also sounds like a huge contradiction on your part.

I'm not an avid pirate, but thanks for the stereotypical accusation.

Here's a dumb question for you:

If you're so into the Latest and Greatest exclusively, and you don't care for emulation or "Crappy Old Games", and have such disdain for those who do: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING POSTING ON An ATARI-BASED CLASSIC GAMING FORUM?

Wouldn't your average conversations and interests be better suited to posting on a PS3 or 360-specific forum? It feels like you come here just to tell everyone what they should or shouldn't be doing with their consoles. Having and opinion is one thing. Telling everyone they are a pirate if they don't behave as you claim to is just retarded.

Stop Trolling.

• Like 2

i have not read all of this thread... but a quick question:

it is shown on the seventh page of this thread that this is an easy process to downgrade and add the cfw. takes roughly 10 mins or so.

i use my ps3 to play Black Ops online and to play in an NCAA dynasty. is it easy to go back so i can play online?

easy? sort of.

you have to boot into recovery mode again and re-flash the Official firmware.

it can be done, but it's kind of a pain. I wouldn't want to be flashing the firmware all the time.

The more important issue is the firmware version. To be able to access the PSN and play online you need to be on 3.56. 3.56 blocks CFW. To run CFW you need to be on 3.55.

Once you upgrade to 3.56 to play online games, CFW accessis gone, permanently. Or at least until the hackers crack it, but that's doubtful at this point.

Edited by Underball

Just because someone runs a CFW does not make them a pirate.

Re-read my posts. I think you missed something. ;)

BTW, you don't need 10 different consoles to play 10 different systems, you also don't need to hack the latest system to play 10 different systems.

That's all I was saying. :thumbsup:

Hacker's are having a field day currently and really are ruining games.

As an example, just try playing the PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2 online sometime. My son has all the map packs and enjoyed playing MW2 more than he did Black Op's. But he gave up even trying to play MW2 online a couple weeks ago due to the mess that the game is now. He showed me what was happening and I agreed with him that the game is now pretty much unplayable.

Mendon

SONY can't plug that with a update. They can do some damage, but once people actually own their consoles, it's possible to write code that presents to SONY in a way that will authenticate. It's now a arms race at best.

What SONY can do is raise the cost! Rapid updates, which are negative for basically everybody, combined with "instabrick" technology --the tactical nuke of consoles, can make keeping up with hacks difficult and expensive. That is their number one course of action, along with "tethered" game titles.

A new console release entirely is required to close the door. It's all about time and cost now.

I'm just pleased it's possible to own the console. I won't hack mine now, because it's relevant. I will do it in the future, when I've moved on, and want to archive titles on the console, or re-purpose it.

• Like 1

SONY can't plug that with a update. They can do some damage, but once people actually own their consoles, it's possible to write code that presents to SONY in a way that will authenticate. It's now a arms race at best.

What SONY can do is raise the cost! Rapid updates, which are negative for basically everybody, combined with "instabrick" technology --the tactical nuke of consoles, can make keeping up with hacks difficult and expensive. That is their number one course of action, along with "tethered" game titles.

A new console release entirely is required to close the door. It's all about time and cost now.

I'm just pleased it's possible to own the console. I won't hack mine now, because it's relevant. I will do it in the future, when I've moved on, and want to archive titles on the console, or re-purpose it.

actually, it has nothing to do with hacking the PS3 now.

The hackers are using Proxy Servers to access the PSN and sign in to play online. Using proxy servers is a feature built into the official PS3 OS.

They'll just take that away next.

Again, that can be added back, or old code modified to present as new code.

The only real trusted security was lost. It's just cat 'n mouse. Ordinary users, not playing this game lose more than not.

I don't like that part of things. I'm one of those users! I'll just play less, and find other things to do. But, I also take the ownership issue seriously, which is why I've made the posts I have.

I have a question for the hackers: why not just make stuff for PCs? They are more powerful and no drm stuff. Instead of using thier creativity on screwing over common users, why dont they start making homebrew or indie games and stuff for PC?

I say: fuck off, hackers, you killed the ps3.

Edited by Tr3vor

I hardly think the entire platform is dead. Lots of overreactions here.

Hackers have ruined legitimate gamers experience on the PS3 and you know it.

If I pay $60 for the latest game and have to put up cheaters then my experience is ruined. Times that by millions.

Yeah I know all hacker want to do is play SMS and Genesis games on their PS3. It is important that they are able to do this because it saves them from sea's of cables, 1,000 of consoles lined up in tiny dwellings and wives that will divorce them if they don't hack.. LOL

Just go plug your hacker BS elsewhere. Real gamers frequent this forum.

• Like 2

If I pay $60 for the latest game and have to put up cheaters then my experience is ruined. Times that by millions.

Yeah I know all hacker want to do is play SMS and Genesis games on their PS3. It is important that they are able to do this because it saves them from sea's of cables, 1,000 of consoles lined up in tiny dwellings and wives that will divorce them if they don't hack.. LOL

Just curious (since I dont play online ps3) how often does the average honest gamer get dumped into modded lobbies now? Is it an every so often thing or is it a guarantee you'll be in a modified lobby..?

Just curious (since I dont play online ps3) how often does the average honest gamer get dumped into modded lobbies now? Is it an every so often thing or is it a guarantee you'll be in a modified lobby..?

There is no guarantee.

If you're lucky, you know a bunch of people, and only play online with them, otherwise it's a crap shoot.

In the end you can bet there are more legit games than hacker creeps so no you're not always going to be paired up with one.

Still, like Underball pointed out, it's not difficult and that means your chances just went up.

For instance....

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/17/jailbreaking-your-ps3-all-fun-games-until-your-online-gaming-is-ruined/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f142/ps3-cod4-online-ruined-by-hacker-please-help-548529.html

http://www.multiplayergames.com/2011/01/17/ps3-hack-ruins-modern-warfare-2-multiplayer/

http://www.examiner.com/video-games-in-milwaukee/ps3-hack-the-hackers-have-gone-too-far

From the last link....

Gamers need to realize that the hackers are not on your side. They are punishing you, and the people who make things you like. Hackers have used a series of explanations to justify their actions, from abusive DRM, to the high prices of games, but their canards don’t apply this time; Even if you believe that the reactivation of Other OS was their only motivation, that doesn’t justify the theft of games or harassment of online gamers, and it doesn’t explain their hacks of the other consoles. These people at best are vandals, and at worst are thieves, and they have gone too far.

I agree. :thumbsup:

I'd add to the list of lame excuses though based on this thread.

Teeny tiny living space, messy cables and evil, overbearing wives are all lame excuses. Sorry.

The way I figure it, most folks who really enjoy ruining everybody's game online, will find a way to do it anyway. Glitching, teamkilling, dirty passes, are all within the rules. These hacks give killjoys powerful new tools, but they're also tools that are punishable, where other annoyances often aren't. I'm certainly for the console banning of online cheaters.

It would be a shame if all the fair players dropped off the console, leaving it entirely to hackers. I haven't seen hacking on PS3 yet, but I have seen what it did to a few DS games. The experience was totally ruined. Even fair 1v1 matches were all but impossible to find.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

You're talking about hacks going on in MW2. A 4 year old game that can be had for $19.99 or less.

Black Ops Servers aren't having problems. They're perma-banning modded consoles. It's only the old, outdated games like MW2 where the hacking is going on. Because those games AREN'T the "$60 Latest games".

• Like 1

Moycon gave you a good answer, which is basically "you rolls the dice, you takes your chances".

A question and answer from the official PS forums:

Q: well i was playing mw1 and then i just reached lvl 55 then it said i was at level 1 again and told me i needed 985475345 xp more to reach lvl to again. i was wondering if somebody hacked me or it was IW error or something. If it is an error do i go back to the lvl i was before?????

A: it wasn't you or your ps3 being hacked, you got into a hacked lobby and by staying in there, your save file on your ps3 and your "save file" on IWs' servers got tricked into making the changes. don't worry, your ps3 is fine, but, sadly your online stats are screwed. you can't get back to your previous level, you would only be able to start over with a new account at this point. IW says they don't save old info, that when the match ends, the data overwrites the old data they have so they say they can't put you back either.

Doesn't matter if its a four year old game or a new game... you paid money for your game, paid money for your DLC's, played and worked to achieve levels and items, enjoyed yourself, and then some butt-wipe comes along and ruins it for you.

Just one more reason why I don't play much online.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Moycon gave you a good answer, which is basically "you rolls the dice, you takes your chances".

A question and answer from the official PS forums:

Q: well i was playing mw1 and then i just reached lvl 55 then it said i was at level 1 again and told me i needed 985475345 xp more to reach lvl to again. i was wondering if somebody hacked me or it was IW error or something. If it is an error do i go back to the lvl i was before?????

A: it wasn't you or your ps3 being hacked, you got into a hacked lobby and by staying in there, your save file on your ps3 and your "save file" on IWs' servers got tricked into making the changes. don't worry, your ps3 is fine, but, sadly your online stats are screwed. you can't get back to your previous level, you would only be able to start over with a new account at this point. IW says they don't save old info, that when the match ends, the data overwrites the old data they have so they say they can't put you back either.

Doesn't matter if its a four year old game or a new game... you paid money for your game, paid money for your DLC's, played and worked to achieve levels and items, enjoyed yourself, and then some butt-wipe comes along and ruins it for you.

Just one more reason why I don't play much online.

Mendon

I don't disagree with your sentiment. It's bullshit that people use hacks and cheats and fuck up other people's games.

But the reality is, all of these companies only have so much budget and staff and time to monitor every lobby for every game. The newer games that are current take precedence. Older games that are no longer relevant have fewer monitors, and more problems with hacks and cheats. It's no different than Online PC games have always been. Hackers have done that to online PC games for years. That hasn't stopped the games from being released, or people from buying them.

So the claims that "the PS3 is ruined FOREVER!!!!111111!!!" are a big exaggeration. A few older games have some annoying, occasional online issues. Older games don't get the attention because there's no money in it for the manufactuers. Sucks, but what can you do?

• Like 1

Who said anything about Tiny dwellings? My house is huge. I just don't want to live like a slob.

also - this thread had nearly 200 replies in it before you started mouthing off about what you think other people should do.

Until they make you a mod here (never happen) why don't you stop trying to tell people what to talk about?

Edited by Underball
  • Like 2

But the reality is, all of these companies only have so much budget and staff and time to monitor every lobby for every game. The newer games that are current take precedence. Older games that are no longer relevant have fewer monitors, and more problems with hacks and cheats.

I don't disagree at all. In fact, this is one area of current gaming that really concerns me, in that developers have little interest in patching/fixing older games even if a current mandatory firmware update screws up a game.

For example, if Firmware update 3.56 screws up Far Cry 2 or Lair or MotorStorm or Resistance, what incentive is there for a developer to spend big $$$$ and staff hours trying to fix a game that they now make little or no money on?

If a developer is still making money from a title, maybe through sales of DLC's, they have a reason to spend some time and money fixing something. But to expect EA to fix a game like Godfather II because a firmware update or hackers have created havoc with the game? I sincerely doubt a fix would be coming.

It's a shame that I may have to start buying two of every system: one to never take online so that I don't have to worry about firmware upgrades or hackers screwing around with my SAVE DATA and one to take online.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon