IGNORED

PSN Outage

SpiceWare

According to Kotaku.....

"Sony has not yet determined if the personal information or credit card numbers of users on the still-offline Playstation Network have been stolen, according to a Sony spokesman.

Sony Computer Entertainment is conducting "thorough investigation" into the outage, Satoshi Fukuoka, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment in Tokyo, told PC World.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesman Patrick Seybold reiterated Fukuoka's statement, confirming that Sony is still looking into whether credit card or other personal information were taken during the "external intrusion." Both declined to provide more information about the intrusion that led the company to take the global Playstation Network down last week. The network remains down as of Monday morning."

Sigh.....

Mendon

According to Kotaku.....

"Sony has not yet determined if the personal information or credit card numbers of users on the still-offline Playstation Network have been stolen, according to a Sony spokesman.

Sony Computer Entertainment is conducting "thorough investigation" into the outage, Satoshi Fukuoka, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment in Tokyo, told PC World.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesman Patrick Seybold reiterated Fukuoka's statement, confirming that Sony is still looking into whether credit card or other personal information were taken during the "external intrusion." Both declined to provide more information about the intrusion that led the company to take the global Playstation Network down last week. The network remains down as of Monday morning."

Sigh.....

Mendon

Good thing the last credit card I used on PSN expired already.

Anyone know if this could be done?

"Using custom firmware that makes a retail PS3 act like a debug unit, hackers were able to get onto a "trusted" version of PSN reserved for reviewers and developers. Since users of this network were considered kosher, fake credentials were never checked, and people could help themselves without having to give up real personal details or fork over a single dime"

http://www.destructoid.com/is-rampant-piracy-to-blame-for-psn-downtime--199610.phtml

According to that guys blog people did grab stuff for free which tells me it can be done.

It is interesting that when thinking of downloadable music, Itunes is the only service mentioned. There are other (and arguably better) services for music.

I only mentioned iTunes because it's the service I use. What services do you use, and why are they arguably better?

For me the convenience of iTunes is the major appeal. When I'm listening to a song and wonder if the artist has anything new out I just select "Show Artist in iTunes Store". It's a feature I use a lot. No need to launch a browser, change to a web site and fill in search fields, then figure out how to put the downloaded files into my music library.

One of the bloggers at the Houston paper wrote something about that - Amazon MP3 vs. iTunes: Cheap music isn't enough

the real reason why Apple continues to stay ahead of Amazon is convenience. Apple's music store lives in the same software used to manage music on iPods, iPhones and iPads. Buying music is an impulse purchase in iTunes, but with Amazon MP3, it's active shopping. So long as the price for convenience isn't too high, people will pay more to get their music in a simple way.

Another thing I like is that AAC sounds better than MP3s when they're at the same bit rate (Amazon and iTunes both use 256).

ares galaxy and no itunes or apple devices ever.

Anyone know if this could be done?

"Using custom firmware that makes a retail PS3 act like a debug unit, hackers were able to get onto a "trusted" version of PSN reserved for reviewers and developers. Since users of this network were considered kosher, fake credentials were never checked, and people could help themselves without having to give up real personal details or fork over a single dime"

http://www.destructoid.com/is-rampant-piracy-to-blame-for-psn-downtime--199610.phtml

According to that guys blog people did grab stuff for free which tells me it can be done.

Yes it is true. Getting on the Dev PSN was simple. Not much different than changing a hosts file on. PC to reroute DNS inquiries.

Yes it is true. Getting on the Dev PSN was simple. Not much different than changing a hosts file on. PC to reroute DNS inquiries.

HA!

I found this as well:

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/rumor-psn-outage-due-to-rebug-custom-firmware.html

Of course this isn't confirmed.

I havent heard of Rebug but then again CFW's do start popping up once a console is unlocked. The PSP is a good example.

Edited by cimerians

But in my opinion, the ones who really feeling the effects of the outage are the small time developers who are losing potential sales and profits of their PSN products. They depend on sales and with the outage, there aren't any.

I posted the above and then read the following this morning on Kotaku:

"At least one developer has confirmed that Sony will be doing all it can to help out the developers affected by the PSN Outage. A number of downloadable games were scheduled to be released last week, including Mad Blocker Alpha from Open Emotion Studios. Paddy Murphy, CEO of Open Emotion said Sony would be helping their game with a few additional weeks of marketing in order to make up for the outage.

"Sony will be helping us retain key focus [prominent placement on the PSN Store] for an extra few weeks as they understand how something like this can affect a small dev studio like ours," said Murphy. "As it's our first week in the U.S., I'm sure it will affect sales, but we have to understand that Sony wouldn't take down the entire PSN on a whim. As long as they can give us some marketing assistance when the PSN is back up, we are sure we will be able to recoup our potential losses."

Great move, Sony!! :thumbsup:

Mendon

HA!

I found this as well:

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/rumor-psn-outage-due-to-rebug-custom-firmware.html

Of course this isn't confirmed.

I havent heard of Rebug but then again CFW's do start popping up once a console is unlocked. The PSP is a good example.

Everything you would want or need to know about PS3 CFW and the like is here:

psx-scene.com

So I'm hearing that it is confirmed that credit card information has been stolen from PSN. I'm very happy I have gone out of my way to buy codes from stores rather then put my credit card information on my consoles. I even started to think I was being silly about this until I heard this last night. Just crazyness.

I really wish I had purchased Mortal Kombat for the 360 right now. I don't mind having it on the PS3 for the most part, but online play would be nice, and I could still be doing that on the 360. Oh well. If they don't get this fixed soon people will start to buy games on the other consoles if they have the option just because we can't be sure when PSN will be back up and games are more and more online play and less and less single player.

Official Announcement:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

”…we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.”

Ok I don't own a PS3 but I do feel bad for you guys. Is it me or does it seem obvious that a backup of the PSN system should have been made and this would not be going into day 6?

Power loss, hacking, server or hard drive crash, fire or flood, etc are all more than possible in this day and age, remember Japan, and as a big company would not Sony want to back up all PSN data so in case one of these, and many possible others, happen so they can recover in a day or less?

Why down for 6 days now? If this was a bank, a major manufacturer, a service company, etc. and the system was down for 6 days you may as well throw in the towel. You're done. Millions, billions lost in profits & sales, frustrated customers, frustrated suppliers, developers, etc, etc.

Didn't Sony have sufficient security? I mean I've even got a firewall, virus protection, spyware protection and a 1 TB hard drive to back up my data on my PC, why wouldn't Sony? Again hello does this not seem obvious now-a-days? Backup, backup, backup! Security is essential.

No I can't count on everything to go right. I just lost a 320 GB hard drive which had a lot of data on it but nothing I can't replace in a matter of hours, most of the data was a bunch of games that I still have on CD/DVD and really not vitally important, but I'm just one guy, not a major electronics corporation. Hey I've even lost a whole PC to a lightning strike and came back from it on the same day with all my data.

Well good luck guys. Hope you get PSN back soon. :sad:

Rich

Official Announcement:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

”…we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.”

And this, folks, is why you don't throw a bone to the homebrew crowd and then take it away. To think all of this could have been avoided because simply nobody cared to hack the PS3 before Sony goaded everybody into doing it.

• Like 1

And this, folks, is why you don't throw a bone to the homebrew crowd and then take it away. To think all of this could have been avoided because simply nobody cared to hack the PS3 before Sony goaded everybody into doing it.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It pisses me off more then a little to think this is the result of a pissed off homebrew programer and/or fanboy. Because you can't make your homebrew games we can't play PSN at all? Yep, that sounds fair to me too. Sony might be losing money over this thing, but the person that has done this has hurt the community as well, and homebrew programmers are supposed to rely on that community. I'm going to take a breather before I comment more on this!

You know, I think that crap like this, killing PSN for about a week, is just hurting the community of the unmodded ps3 and modded ps3. This crap makes less people want to buy or use the system, and with no one wantiing to use the system, then there is no community, thus killing the "homebrew scene". I havn't seen or heard anything about ps3 homebrews, except that guy making the Kinect run on PS3 as a concept, all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff. I don't care how many people want to defend these hackers, they did something that was WRONG. And possibly letting thousands of credit card numbers and expiration dates out there on the internet. I can't believe the things that these people are doing.

Hackers: do this shit with your own property, I consider the ps3 system your property, but the servers are Sony's, so that is one step too fucking far.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It pisses me off more then a little to think this is the result of a pissed off homebrew programer and/or fanboy. Because you can't make your homebrew games we can't play PSN at all? Yep, that sounds fair to me too. Sony might be losing money over this thing, but the person that has done this has hurt the community as well, and homebrew programmers are supposed to rely on that community. I'm going to take a breather before I comment more on this!

Holy crap, did I ever say that it was right? No. No, I did not. Stop putting words in my mouth.

All I said was that it was an effect of removing OtherOS. The thing was that nobody cared when OtherOS was available. The system was apparently wide open the whole entire time, yet nobody cared to do that. The only major (if at all) issue was the extensive hardware hack that prompted the removal of OtherOS. Sony effectively had one person jumping through their own butthole because nobody expected the keys to be so poorly implemented. Once people got interested, they got interested in the key algorithm. And the rest is history.

I never said it was right, but would you walk into a preschool, yell Santa isn't real at the top of your lungs, and expect there to not be at least one kid to run up to you and kick you in the shin? They wouldn't be right, but you wouldn't be right either.

all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff. I don't care how many people want to defend these hackers

Most people on AA don't defend these jack-asses.

I can understand an old school gamer, their minds are set in the past when we weren't all networked together and you couldn't do something like this from the comforts of your home. They still think people should be able to do whatever they want with their equipment. They defend these people because they are stuck in the past they just see it as tinkering, be curious to see what they think of this BS, tinkering is exactly why this happened. The rest of the folks defending this shit they just defend it because they don't want their easy freebies to go away.

In the end, even if you are someone who only "tinkers", know you're in the extreme minority, most hackers are nothing more than pirate scumbags who want to play the latest games for free and rip people off. Pure and simple. Defending them at all, for whatever weak reasons you can produce, or enabling them to get to this point is just lame. :thumbsdown:

• Like 4

I havn't seen or heard anything about ps3 homebrews, except that guy making the Kinect run on PS3 as a concept, all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff.

1. The Kinect thing. You answered your own question.

2. Emulators. Damn good emulators thanks to the Cell.

3. The obligatory source port of the Doom engine. Every hardware platform has a Doom engine.

4. Heretic and Hexen ports.

5. Home theater software.

6. Software to turn your Dualshock 3 into a vibrator.

7. They got Linux to run on the PS3 again!!! Holy crap!!!

You know, I think that crap like this, killing PSN for about a week, is just hurting the community of the unmodded ps3 and modded ps3. This crap makes less people want to buy or use the system, and with no one wantiing to use the system, then there is no community, thus killing the "homebrew scene". I havn't seen or heard anything about ps3 homebrews, except that guy making the Kinect run on PS3 as a concept, all they did since cracking the ps3's security is fuck with everyone else's stuff. I don't care how many people want to defend these hackers, they did something that was WRONG. And possibly letting thousands of credit card numbers and expiration dates out there on the internet. I can't believe the things that these people are doing.

Hackers: do this shit with your own property, I consider the ps3 system your property, but the servers are Sony's, so that is one step too fucking far.

the hackers who wanted to be able to run homebrew, and the kind of people who steal credit card information are entirely different. Lumping them in together doesn't make sense.

And yeah - boo hoo if you can't play online games for FREE for a few days. If you were paying for the service, fine - you have a right to bitch. But you're not. It's a bonus.

Online gamers can't rack up trophies for a few days is much less invasive than Sony yanking OtherOS without any warning and decimating people's LEGITIMATE PS3 linux installs.

• Like 2