IGNORED

PSN Outage

SpiceWare

Does anyone think our credit cards numbers were stolen???

Think I should cancel my card?? I can't remember if mine

was in automatically. Thanks. What makes me a little mad is

Sony seems to take a "we were hacked" now you the consumer deal with it. tough luck.

I'm keeping a pretty close eye on my card for unauthorized purchases, but don't plan on canceling it quite yet.

Sony could turn this into their own 'Tylenol moment,' or they could just keep on doing what they have been. I'm willing to be blown away by their awesome customer service, but I'm really anticipating nothing except for maybe a second form email telling me more about identity theft. The first email, which I've just received, didn't even include so much as a 'sorry for giving away all your info, d00d'

Edited by Reaperman

I'd put a solid $100 toward the "do PSN up like they did geohot" legal fund. Not that doing so would necessarily make me happier.

Careful, folks are still waiting for a refund from the "Help Hotz fight Sony" (a fight that never happened) legal fund.

I'm sure the cash was put to good use. Rapping lesson is my guess.

Why they would still be waiting when it's been donated to the EFF as originally intended is beyond me. While they can be disappointed over the settlement instead of getting the legal battle they hoped for, they knew they wouldn't be seeing the money again as they were told up front any "excesses" would be donated.

Because 99% of the people here complaining about this, especially good ol' Moycon here, don't know the first thing about how any of this went down, beyond what they read in dummy IGN headlines, and on boards like this that are so far removed from the actual story, that it's been changed 40 times before it gets here.

They don't know of what they speak. Yet they yammer on like goats in a field, bleating at nothing to hear themselves bleat.

What about all of the PSN plus users ? i didn't know that PSN plus was free.

I asked that question earlier. If not in this thread, another recent one, maybe the PS+ thread I started?

Anyways, what I asked was does the PS+ content stop working when you can't log into the servers?

I was told it works fine, but I think the person wasn't entirely sure. Can you confirm it does or doesn't?

In any case I hope they extend any PS+ members membership by at least a month regardless how long the outage lasts.

Especially for new users, not having access to that content to download and services like cloud saves you just paid for would suck. I don't see them doing anything else but tacking on a month or two, do you? Who knows, time will tell.

they knew they wouldn't be seeing the money again as they were told up front any "excesses" would be donated.

Ah good to know the money is being put towards something other than a new PC or something. Dude really did need some rapping lessons though.

I can't confirm because i do not subscribe to PSN+, i just brought up PSN+ because you know that those people that are paying are hoping that PSN does come back sometime soon, and that they will not get screwed out of the time it was down.

One would hope that SONY does reimburse the PSN+ subscribers for the time it was down at least. if they do not (that will be both wrong and bad PR for SONY) that is the only way or reason that i can see of a lawsuit.

Does anyone think our credit cards numbers were stolen???

Think I should cancel my card?? I can't remember if mine

was in automatically. Thanks. What makes me a little mad is

Sony seems to take a "we were hacked" now you the consumer deal with it. tough luck.

I'm keeping a pretty close eye on my card for unauthorized purchases, but don't plan on canceling it quite yet.

They're stealing from a bank, not me, so I'll just monitor the card and if unauthorized charges come up I'll get a new card number.

• Like 2

There are a few games out there like dc universe online or mag that people can't play at all, its not as simple as "oh you can't play call of duty". People pay a monthly fee to play the dc games. Mag is online only. Capcoms dl games require online at all times. This is directly affecting peoples ability to use products they legitimately paid good money for.

I never understood hackers/ homebrewers. You're using a pc which can do whatever you want it to, why do you have to f*ck with every single goddamn piece of technology that comes out? People paid $400-$600 for a ps3 to play ps3 games, not effin doom,hexen and a space invaders clone.

I'm no sony booster but if people don't like what sony is doing, sell your goddamn ps3. Its no skin off their balls. Why is it so hard to just leave shit alone? Everybody always needs to be fiddling with everything. Build your own console and do whatever the f you want to it. Sonys billion dollar investments aren't your personal playground.

• Like 1

"The whole notion that password details have been taken defies belief. There's a reason that most internet sites can't tell you what your own password is and can only reset it – it's because the server itself doesn't actually store it at all. Your chosen password is hashed when it's first transmitted, and only this checksum is stored. When you enter your login, the password is hashed again and compared to what is on the system – if we have a match, you are granted access.

In short, there is no actual need whatsoever for your password to be stored server-side at all. Sony's statement suggests that it was actually storing sensitive information in plain text format, which defies belief."

Copy/Paste from a chatlog in FEBRUARY.

<user2> creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderName=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=4558254723658741&creditCard.expireYear=

[Line break inserted here to prevent page scroll]

2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&creditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.address1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&creditCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.address.postalCode=12345%20

<user2> sent as plaintext

<user3> uh

<user3> did you censor that card?

<user2> ya its fake

<user3> good

<user1> wow, plaintext :S

<user5> plaintext wow

<user3> im never putting in my details like that

<user2> ya is all fake lol

<user2> i never used cc on ps3

<user2> normally you ATLEAST enccrypt the securtity code, even if its ssl

<user5> id hope sony would do such in a safe manner

<user5> psn cards probably plain text to then

<user2> fake certs are known since years as vuln so companies encrypt such data twice normally

Full link: http://pastie.org/private/97oth9v5tspkiztwwdmnga

456956-0E58V4X.gif

There are a few games out there like dc universe online or mag that people can't play at all, its not as simple as "oh you can't play call of duty". People pay a monthly fee to play the dc games. Mag is online only. Capcoms dl games require online at all times. This is directly affecting peoples ability to use products they legitimately paid good money for.

I never understood hackers/ homebrewers. You're using a pc which can do whatever you want it to, why do you have to f*ck with every single goddamn piece of technology that comes out? People paid $400-$600 for a ps3 to play ps3 games, not effin doom,hexen and a space invaders clone.

I'm no sony booster but if people don't like what sony is doing, sell your goddamn ps3. Its no skin off their balls. Why is it so hard to just leave shit alone? Everybody always needs to be fiddling with everything. Build your own console and do whatever the f you want to it. Sonys billion dollar investments aren't your personal playground.

People paid $600 for the PS3 because of OtherOs.

Then Sony took it away without telling them, and decimated everything they had installed in it with one firmware update.

Now everybody knows how it feels to have something you paid good money for get taken away by Sony's stupidity.

Your PSN online games will be back working in a few days. OtherOS and all the data people lost when it was removed isn't coming back. ever.

• Like 1

If everyone never messed around with anything you would not have computers, you would not have TV. you would not have the internet, you would not have cars and so on and so on. People messing around with stuff is what drives everything forward and its what gives us what we have and use today. just a thought.

but when people buy something they are either going to use it for what its intended for, or mess around with it and learn about it (which is where homebrew falls under), or mess around with it for their own personal gain (pirating software, cheating in a online game).

quite a few people bought the PS3 for its otherOS feature. which is another reason why SONY removed it because it was costing SONY, they was not making any money from these people in software sales. selling a console at a loss to make it up with software sales.

I love homebrew, but opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 3

mess around with it for their own personal gain (pirating software, cheating in a online game).

Probably around 96% of hackers, which is why most folks don't give a shit about them or their "tinkering".

Inventing the next PC, they aren't.

Then Sony took it away without telling them, and decimated everything they had installed in it with one firmware update.

Now everybody knows how it feels to have something you paid good money for get taken away by Sony's stupidity.

Your PSN online games will be back working in a few days. OtherOS and all the data people lost when it was removed isn't coming back. ever.

To be fair, Sony didn't really remove OtherOS without telling anybody. There was buzz about it in the days (maybe weeks) leading up to it, and the firmware update presented to you a warning explaining to you that by installing the update, you would be losing OtherOS, and it gave you an option to cancel installation.

mess around with it for their own personal gain (pirating software, cheating in a online game).

Probably around 96% of hackers, which is why most folks don't give a shit about them or their "tinkering".

Inventing the next PC, they aren't.

Yes, let's just throw arbitrary percentages out there. That'll make your factless opinion seem more legit. :D

You know who definitely isn't inventing the next PC?

Dudes who cry about losing their PSN trophies from Modern Warfare, from the comfort of the couch in their Mom's basement, at 42 years old.

Edited by Underball
  • Like 1

To be fair, Sony didn't really remove OtherOS without telling anybody. There was buzz about it in the days (maybe weeks) leading up to it, and the firmware update presented to you a warning explaining to you that by installing the update, you would be losing OtherOS, and it gave you an option to cancel installation.

But Sony didn't give you an option to still be able to play the $60 games released from that point on on your $600 system, WITHOUT installing said update and agreeing to remove OtherOs.

I understand why Sony no longer wanted to support it. But forcing people to remove it, or essentially agree to never be able to use anything new on their system is bullshit.

It's called forced negotiation. They hedged their bet that most people wouldn't bother to read it or wouldn't care.

• Like 2

But Sony didn't give you an option to still be able to play the $60 games released from that point on on your $600 system, WITHOUT installing said update and agreeing to remove OtherOs.

I understand why Sony no longer wanted to support it. But forcing people to remove it, or essentially agree to never be able to use anything new on their system is bullshit.

It's called forced negotiation. They hedged their bet that most people wouldn't bother to read it or wouldn't care.

Yes, now this is correct.

I saw problems coming with this months ago.

Sony (and to be fair, Microsoft) both sell their consoles at a loss and depend on people buying software (games) and other add-on's to make the difference up. It's not the model used in the past, but it works.

Nintendo, on the other hand, always sells their consoles to make a profit, and doesn't depend on software sales as much.

MSN aproached the indie angle by giving them a place in XBox Live to peddle their games. Even if people only come on there to buy indie games, you're paying for XBox Live anyway, so it's a win-win....MSN gets money, the developers get money, and everyone is happy.

Sony....well, some posters have allready said far better then me how THEY handled this. :roll:

Please tell me, why did people buy ps3's for otheros, the system is locked down so that you can't access most of its hardware in otheros mode, in other words, you could have gotten the same thing in some 200$ dell computer.

Why did the Air Force buy thousands to build a super computer?

They make amazing servers, extremely fast with the Cell processor.

Please tell me, why did people buy ps3's for otheros, the system is locked down so that you can't access most of its hardware in otheros mode, in other words, you could have gotten the same thing in some 200$ dell computer.

A $200 Dell cant do the same thing as a cell CPU.

look up PS3 supercomputer

the cell is above a CPU and below a GPU in terms of what it can do in folding @ home. but that should give you somewhat of a ideal on what it can be used as.

otherOS was the key to this. SONY screwed everyone out of their money that bought it for this reason.

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 3

So it appears credit card information was encrypted, however...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?

A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

456956-0E58V4X.gif

When Sony says that the credit card table was encrypted, it's really hard to know 'how encrypted,' or what they mean by that. I'd really like to know, and doubt Sony will ever tell me. (maybe lawsuits will help with this) It's also not terribly comforting to hear that the only reason hackers don't have my credit card security code is because Sony hasn't bothered using it for anything, or that account items were stored poorly. As far as I've ever seen, throwing basic encryption on a table is never a real hassle.

Oddly, the PSN outage is pretty big news around the office today. So far, one canceled credit card locally. I've only heard of one lawsuit in the US, and some agency in Britain is going to "question" their branch of psn about it--whatever that means.

Edited by Reaperman

According to IGN, Sony has made a statement on their blog that "some functionality" of the PSN network will be restored next week. They still won't say when a full, working PSN will return.

IGN Link

Mendon

They will not bring PSN back up for any reason until they are sure they got "new things" going. They are also moving stuff to another location.

See the blog above or here

They also mention they are going to trace them down no matter how long it takes.

"Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information?

A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognized technology security firm and law enforcement in order to find those responsible for this criminal act no matter where in the world they might be located."

Maybe they need to look in South America too. :P

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2