IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Found from one vendor at the flea market yesterday.

Strategy guides for...

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country

Breath of Fire

Zelda Link to the Past

Mario RPG

...also came with Final Fantasy VII complete in case.

$20

Had a good weekend for finds.

Quick Shot Joystick NES 1.99

Golf NES .99

Tennis NES .99

Deja Vu NES .99

SMB/Duck Hunt NES .59

Dragon Power NES 3.00

Terminator 2 NES 3.00

Platoon NES 3.00

Dragon Warrior II NES 4.00

Dragon Warrior III NES 4.00

Rolling Thunder II Gen CIB 2.00

Batman Returns Gen CIB 2.50

Samurai Showdown Gen CIB 2.50

Ghoul Patrol SNES 15.00 <~Bought on Ebay

R-Type Final PS2 NIB 9.99

Virtua Fighter 4 PS2 CIB 8.00

Bloody Roar II PS1 CIB 4.00

Tomb Raider III PS1 CIB 4.00

Need for Speed, High Stakes PS1 CIB 4.00

Rogue Leader, Rogue Squadron II GC CIB 4.99

Ninja Fighter Handheld .99

When I visited one of my college friends recently, I saw a Goodwill that was ancient - and told myself that I wasn't going to go into it (it looked like it was all clothing). When I visited last, we decided that perhaps it would be worth a shot to go inside and check it out despite its appearance. While I was there, I was delighted to find a boxed "Atari Multi System Deluxe Joystick Controller" (a.k.a. a proline) for $0.50.

There was also this place called the "Supermall" - which turned out to be a large thrift store. I picked up a boxed View-Master Projector for about 4 bucks and a Gameboy (the clear "Play It Loud" version) that was still in its original clear plastic retail package for $10 (has the serial number and the day it was bought on the back of it). It even still has the cardboard "Play It Loud" insert!

damn awesome finds atariman and ghost.i found this weekend at a few goodwills during 50% off sale:

pitfall! for 2600(cart only)$1

deadly duck for 2600(cart only)$1

tecmo world wrestling for nes(game only)37 cents

rbi baseball 2 for nes(cart only)37 cents

stunt kids for nes(cart only)37 cents

arrow flash for genesis(complete)$1

super off road for genesis(complete)$2

a Gameboy (the clear "Play It Loud" version) that was still in its original clear plastic retail package for $10 (has the serial number and the day it was bought on the back of it). It even still has the cardboard "Play It Loud" insert!

one of these things?

Yep, that's exactly the right model GB. It looks like the person probably didn't play with it much as there is virtually no wear on it (no scratches on the screen and the serial number sticker isn't all grimey from dirty fingers, either). I'm guessing they only had one game - the same thrift store had some boxed GB NBA Live game that I didn't pick up (it was $10, so no, thanks) but the manual for the game was in the GB's case.

I think I like this version of the original Gameboy the best.

damn awesome finds atariman and ghost.i found this weekend at a few goodwills during 50% off sale:

Lucky! It seems like the Goodwills in Elkhart rarely ever have any carts when I go to them. :) Of course, I don't think I go to them often enough to find any ridiculously great finds, either.

Lucky! It seems like the Goodwills in Elkhart rarely ever have any carts when I go to them. :) Of course, I don't think I go to them often enough to find any ridiculously great finds, either.

i see a small amount of carts,just half the time its stuff i already have or dont want.too many damn sports games!!

Yep, that's exactly the right model GB. It looks like the person probably didn't play with it much as there is virtually no wear on it (no scratches on the screen and the serial number sticker isn't all grimey from dirty fingers, either). I'm guessing they only had one game - the same thrift store had some boxed GB NBA Live game that I didn't pick up (it was $10, so no, thanks) but the manual for the game was in the GB's case.

that one is my personal.. I found it at Fantastic thrift in Richmond Va.

I had always wanted the clear one since a kid, and there it was for $5!

so its called "play it loud" huh? I always thought it was just a case color variant at the time.

I wonder how rare it is.. better do some research...

that one is my personal.. I found it at Fantastic thrift in Richmond Va.

I had always wanted the clear one since a kid, and there it was for $5!

so its called "play it loud" huh? I always thought it was just a case color variant at the time.

I wonder how rare it is.. better do some research...

Well, technically it IS just a case color variant, but when they began churning them out in colors besides white(ish), the slogan (or whatever you want to call it) was "Play It Loud". :)

Unexpected finds at a thrift that never has games - these are the salad days of Playstation collecting my friends...

PSX

You don't know Jack - $2

Toy Story 2 NIB - $1

Playstation Underground CD Mag - $2

Dreamcast

Alienfront Online - $1

Starlancer - $1

Toy Commander - $2

Breakout in box! - $1

Video Olympics in box, with extra sleeve with hangtag - $1

Also scored a nice Technics SL-Q303 turntable that is unused. Still need to sniff around to learn about it, but it looks really nice - especially for $25. ;) Gotta bust out my Pac-Man Fever record.

Well, technically it IS just a case color variant, but when they began churning them out in colors besides white(ish), the slogan (or whatever you want to call it) was "Play It Loud". :)

and this is what I discovered in my research..

and the Ebay BIN of $149 RARE!!!!!

4 days to go with 0 bids :P

my research apparently yielded that yellow is rare in the US, while common in the UK, while the most saught after varient is a branded case for the UK united foottysportsball team.

and I'm fine by it.. Like I said earlier.. I got the GB I always wanted as a kid for $5, on top of that.. I finagled the counter chick to swap me the included game for Tetris.. I keep the the thing in the car, and whip it out for a quick game of tetris if I'm ever so inconvenienced.

so.. now that I'm not disappointed that my GB is not rare.. I'm free to mod it....

there's of course the obvious insertion of random LED's in the case.. for lighting effects..

but what about rear lighting the LCD display?

swapping out the panel directly... looks to be a pain in the ass.. I can find cheap LED illumination panels, but if the display in the GB is aluminum backed, once again, un effectual, and a pain in the ass..

a couple of ultra bright LEDs on either side of the display, light shielded, and directed could work just as well.

I follow the efforts of the guys who use old grey Game Boys for making music. One of the hot topics in those chat groups has always been the modding of the Game Boy to include lighting, but I don't think that there have been a lot of super successes. I think that the side-lighting thing that you mention is the one that's worked the best. I do still have a kit for Game Boy Advance that allowed modding it for a backlight, but by the time I got up the nerve to try, the GBA SP came out. ;)

Good luck!

Actually got a hit last weekend. Picked up 2 NES consoles with 6 controllers and a zapper w. 6 games for $10 bucks total all in one scoop.

bastard.

Anyway, I found some dude who wanted to get his head kicked in. I was looking on electronics shelf when I knocked over some peice of shit LED tetris ripoff game. It fell on the floor. The dude kept rubber-necking me after that happened and he went over to a different shelf and pretended to look at stuff. I knew he was watching me, but he didn't seem to know that.

The song on my mp3 player was pissing me off and I had to change it immediately. (I rode my bike to the store, im not the mp3 player in the store guy.) Plus, I was stalling for time to see if the guy would walk away, or be a hero.

So, I take my time selecting the song. Mind you, I haven't moved away from the shelf where the item dropped on the floor.

So after a minute or so, the dude comes barreling over, starts grabbing under my feet, and retrieves the China-made Tetris clone game.

He then states, "Fine!! I'll fuckin pick it up, then!"

He then continues berating me, and calling me such names as Lazyass.

I then advise him to kindly "Shut the Hell up."

He seems amazed that I didn't take his insults lightly.

I then suggest him to grab an application on his way out, if he enjoys picking garbage up so much.

My work was done, I played him like a card, so I leave.

I was outside unlocking my bike when he comes out. I look at him too see if he has anymore names to call me, but he continued on his way.

What a bozo. I hate when people try to get all in your face. If he wasn't watching me, I would have picked it up. Instead, I let him do it.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

found today at several goodwills:

tazmania for gamegear(cart and clam case)75 cents

aladdin for gamegear(game and clam case)75 cents

swordquest fireworld for 2600(cart only)75 cents

seicross for nes(cart only)75 cents

nfl for nes(game,sleeve,and box)75 cents

star trek voyager elite force for ps2(complete,disc needs buffed)$3

I went to an estate sale during lunch today and picked up some Genesis goodies.

Landstalker-CIB, Phantasy Star II-CIB (without the special guide though), Phantasy Star III-CIB, Phantasy Star IV-loose all for $5 each. Also picked up the Phantasy Star III Official Game Guide for $3. I already have all the Phantasy Star games in the PS2 Genesis collection, so I might end up selling them (I never sell anything though ;) ).

Had a good night for finds.

City Connection NES 3.00 <~I've spent a long time looking for this one.

Goonies II NES 3.00

Ultima: Quest of the Avatar NES 3.00

Elevator Action NES 3.00

Burai Fighter NES 3.00

NES Wall Storage holds 21 2.00

SNES Wall Storage holds 18 2.00

Cyber Cop Gen 3.00

Jungle Strike Gen 2.50

Adventures of Batman and Robin Gen 2.50

Super Monaco GP Gen .99

Sega Genesis Model 2 1.99

Mega Man X Manual Free