IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

This is the reason we keep up with our thrifting, even when the stores seem dry.

My finds for the week all have boxes, instructions, and overlays (where applicable) unless noted:

1995 Sega Rally Championship Plus Net Link Edition. I paid $7 plus tax for it at Game X Change in Norman It has no instructions.

Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 for the Saturn. $8 at Game X Change in Midwest City

Ice Trek for Intellivision, loose, $1 at Vintage Stock in Midwest City.

Nintendo 64 cartridge drawer, holds 24 carts plus a handful of controller paks, the old jumper pak, etc. I paid $3 for this at the Goodwill MMV store in Midwest City.

So I browsed around Vintage Stock for a while, dropping my jaws at the outrageously priced Inty games. I was thinking of buying a few, but in the end I only got Ice Trek since it was Imagic and it was $1. I passed on a nice looking Frogger cart for $6.

My old glider chair broke last night. It sucks since that was what I used for playing games. I know of a good place to get office furniture on the cheap, so I headed across town to Heart and Hand thrift store in Bethany. I got my office chair for $13 plus tax, and it is comfortable.

Before that, though, I spotted a case full of boxes Inty games priced at $3.01 each. Frogger was in there, so I decided to buy it. I asked for a clerk to open the case, but it turns out the case was unlocked. The clerk said to me, "You know that all these are 75% off, right?"

I thought for a minute, then said, "I'm dead when I get home, but for now, I'm going to clean you out!"

"Since you want to buy them all, how about another 25 cents off of each one? They'll be fifty cents each that way."

I was tempted to buy the games and leave, but I knew my glider was not going to hold my big fat rear much longer, and Final Fantasy 8 was calling for another marathon session (hence why I needed a chair pronto!) I had her take the Inty games up to the counter while I went looking for a good chair.

Out of the lots pictured below, Star Strike has only one overlay, and Frogger has no overlays. Out of the rest, most are missing catalogs and the leaflet titles "How to insert Intellivision cartridges". The carts are in excellent shape, as are most of the overlays and instructions.

If I hand't broke my chair last night, I'd have never come across this lot. So, you see, it pays not only to be great, but to be great big as well! :D

post-7210-1217111893_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1217111906_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1217111919_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1217112090_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow460

This is the reason we keep up with our thrifting, even when the stores seem dry.

My finds for the week all have boxes, instructions, and overlays (where applicable) unless noted:

1995 Sega Rally Championship Plus Net Link Edition. I paid $7 plus tax for it at Game X Change in Norman It has no instructions.

Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 for the Saturn. $8 at Game X Change in Midwest City

Ice Trek for Intellivision, loose, $1 at Vintage Stock in Midwest City.

Nintendo 64 cartridge drawer, holds 24 carts plus a handful of controller paks, the old jumper pak, etc. I paid $3 for this at the Goodwill MMV store in Midwest City.

So I browsed around Vintage Stock for a while, dropping my jaws at the outrageously priced Inty games. I was thinking of buying a few, but in the end I only got Ice Trek since it was Imagic and it was $1. I passed on a nice looking Frogger cart for $6.

My old glider chair broke last night. It sucks since that was what I used for playing games. I know of a good place to get office furniture on the cheap, so I headed across town to Heart and Hand thrift store in Bethany. I got my office chair for $13 plus tax, and it is comfortable.

Before that, though, I spotted a case full of boxes Inty games priced at $3.01 each. Frogger was in there, so I decided to buy it. I asked for a clerk to open the case, but it turns out the case was unlocked. The clerk said to me, "You know that all these are 75% off, right?"

I thought for a minute, then said, "I'm dead when I get home, but for now, I'm going to clean you out!"

"Since you want to buy them all, how about another 25 cents off of each one? They'll be fifty cents each that way."

I was tempted to buy the games and leave, but I knew my glider was not going to hold my big fat rear much longer, and Final Fantasy 8 was calling for another marathon session (hence why I needed a chair pronto!) I had her take the Inty games up to the counter while I went looking for a good chair.

Out of the lots pictured below, Star Strike has only one overlay, and Frogger has no overlays. Out of the rest, most are missing catalogs and the leaflet titles "How to insert Intellivision cartridges". The carts are in excellent shape, as are most of the overlays and instructions.

If I hand't broke my chair last night, I'd have never come across this lot. So, you see, it pays not only to be great, but to be great big as well! :D

thats awesome.enjoy the games and the chair :)

No pics of the chair? :)

Found one of those Atari folder things that looks like a book after MY WIFE asked a guy at a yard sale if he had any Atari stuff, before I could. That was pretty funny. We also bought a kitchen clock shaped like a teapot and a breadbox, for a grand total of $3. We also purchased a lemonade from the the daughter of these very nice people. It was quite the idyllic stop on a pretty day here in Northern California.

Bummer for me, our local stores have been dried up for a couple of years. I still troll a couple of times a week, and I haven't seen anything video-game related that wasn't made after 1995 (i.e. everything is PC joysticks/wheels/etc) forever. I did find a z80 databook that was of mild interest a couple of weeks ago, but that's been about it for a while! I think there are too many wannabe circuit-benders and chiptuners (ok, I'll lump myself in there too :D) for the limited supply around here.

No pics of the chair? :)

Found one of those Atari folder things that looks like a book after MY WIFE asked a guy at a yard sale if he had any Atari stuff, before I could. That was pretty funny. We also bought a kitchen clock shaped like a teapot and a breadbox, for a grand total of $3. We also purchased a lemonade from the the daughter of these very nice people. It was quite the idyllic stop on a pretty day here in Northern California.

You remind me of the journey through Spencer, OK today. It was beautiful over there, with a mix of bright neighborhoods and clean cut open fields. I should have stopped and shot some photos with my new phone (gotta git it hooked to the net soon for that).

Oh, and here's a shot of my new chair next to the 215 pound keister of mine that's probably gonna break it sooner or later.

post-7210-1217120936_thumb.jpg

I found some cool controllers today.All like new condition.Nothing to write home to mom about,but still cool to have found.

1.2600 keyboard controllers,for Codebreaker.Pretty simple,Mickey mousey game,but worth collecting anyway.

2.Wico Command Control Roller Controller.Greatly adds control to Millipede and other roller games,used to use cx-40 :ponder:

3.Track and Field controller,great for Decathlon!.Can now save my stiks from breakage/premature wear!

Finding new controllers changes a game dramatically!I am now on a controller finding phase.I am stoked i found these :)

Edited by Rik

A few days ago, I mentioned having found a PS2 for $7, but it was experiencing lots of read errors. The consensus here was that it needed a good cleaning, which I did and it worked! For a bit. The deal is that games boot up, but while you're playing, the PS2 will shut down with a blinking red power light. any ideas?

When I was looking for repair advice online, I found people mention re-aligning the laser. Could that be part of my problem? Thanks for any advice. I'm just dying to play Katamari... ;)

Re aligning any type of optical drive laser requires some special tools. If you have them, you might be able to do it. If not (and you don't know someone with 'em), you've got a paperweight. I'd try opening it and cleaning the laser that way, and also I'd check the transport mechanism that moves the head.

Although there are FAQs out there on how to increase the laser output, this can cause the laser to burn out.

I had a chance to get an Inty lot like that (8 or 9 boxed games, with instructions, etc) and an Intellivision (proven to work) for $30 total at a flea market a couple years back. My wife was there and said "sure, we have room," but I was in one of my "I have too much" moods, so I passed. I have regretted it ever since, and seeing your find makes me regret it all over again. Good find, wish it was me.

A few days ago, I mentioned having found a PS2 for $7, but it was experiencing lots of read errors. The consensus here was that it needed a good cleaning, which I did and it worked! For a bit. The deal is that games boot up, but while you're playing, the PS2 will shut down with a blinking red power light. any ideas?

When I was looking for repair advice online, I found people mention re-aligning the laser. Could that be part of my problem? Thanks for any advice. I'm just dying to play Katamari... ;)

There's a diy technique for aligning the laser in these. There's a thumbwheel that sets the angle, the basic technique is to set it to it's lowest level and begin turning it a half a turn at a time until it reads a disc. Google for it, though, since there's a lot more detail involved in a (fairly complicated) disassembly/reassembly, alignment for different types of discs, etc.

I actually bought a new laser to replace the weak one in my last ps/2 and it worked great...until the dog got tangled in the controller cords while we were playing guitar hero and pulled it off the shelf onto the floor. :D

until the dog got tangled in the controller cords while we were playing guitar hero and pulled it off the shelf onto the floor. :D

If it were the Aerosmith version, I'd argue he didn't get tangled, but is in fact a very smart dog, and a good friend.

Edited by Atarifever

I had a chance to get an Inty lot like that (8 or 9 boxed games, with instructions, etc) and an Intellivision (proven to work) for $30 total at a flea market a couple years back. My wife was there and said "sure, we have room," but I was in one of my "I have too much" moods, so I passed. I have regretted it ever since, and seeing your find makes me regret it all over again. Good find, wish it was me.

You always regret the ones you let get away. :( I'm sure I've mentioned the Virtualboy I passed on for $10 last summer, why why why? :x

Found some decent finds in the past couple of weekends.

Last week at a yard sale:

2600 games

Sky Jinks CIB

Bowling CIB

Grand Prix CIB

Space Invaders (Text) CIB

Decathalon CIB

Astroblast CIB

Outlaw loose

Phoenix loose

Defender loose

Demon attack loose

All for $6, some were new to me some were big improvments over abused carts I had, but I've been buying cheap boxed games lately because I really like having the manuals.

X-box games

Crimson Skies

Star Wars Star Fighter

Test Drive

Amped Freestyle Snowboarding

Amped 2

Simpsons Road Rage

Spider-man

Halo 2

Freestyle BMX 2

Return of the King

Toejam and Earl III

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x

All 12 games CIB for $10. I don't even own an X-box, but I figure I will eventually.

Playstation

PS2 Eyetoy Camera + Eyetoy Play

PS2 Sega Superstars

PS2 Pinball Hall of Fame Gotleib Collection

PS1 Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

All for $12

Gameboy Micro with charger in really nice shape $30

Found some Atari Age comics (not the mini ones from the games) as well as the Pac-man issue of MAD (like my avitar) for $10.00

Picked up Mr Driller for PS1 at a pawn shop for $3, my wife loves the GBA version, and is really enjoying this version too.

Not game related but I found this at a flea market for $60, a really nice glass display cabinet that retails for $325. I'm a big nerd, so I'm using it to display my Star Wars and Star Trek Hallmark ornaments, as well as some other sci-fi related items like prop replicas and stuff. This frees up some room in my other cabinets as well. I really love it!

post-12780-1217188540_thumb.jpg

Found 3 2600 games for 6 bucks.

Sunrise : Quest for Quintana Roo

Konami : Strategy X

Empire Strikes Back

Wow edweird13, that's an awesome score! Quintana and Strategy X for 2 bucks each! I know the Empire isn't the top find but I would have definately picked it up for 2 bucks if I didn't have it.

One quick question, is the Strategy X label fully intact? I notice many have much wear, mostly to the end label since it wraps around.

Are you keeping or selling? I'm definately interested in Stategy X and perhaps Quintana if you bought them to resell. Thanks!

I'd say about a third of the Inty games available around here have boxes. Problem is that most of them are priced around five bucks. That's a good price point, yes, but it sure adds up fast. I'm thinking of going and getting what I can that I don't already have. I've spoken to one manager already about his Inty carts. If I do get them, I will probably have to do the same thing and clean out each store, then resell what I already have copies of.

I know of an Intellivision for sale, but I'm in the "I have too many consoles" mood right now. I also know of a Nomad that's going to be sold locally soon, so I will probably save my money for that instead.

Edited by shadow460

One quick question, is the Strategy X label fully intact? I notice many have much wear, mostly to the end label since it wraps around.

Are you keeping or selling? I'm definately interested in Stategy X and perhaps Quintana if you bought them to resell. Thanks!

The Strategy X label is all there the end is a little frayed but all there. I didn't have any of these games so I am keeping them. :P

Edited by edweird13

had to pick up a full 53 ft trailer today(im a truck driver) in columbus ohio,hit a thrift on the way home and found:

earth defense for sega genesis(complete,unlicensed game)$2

the great circus mystery starring mickey & minny for sega genesis(complete)

illusion of gaia for snes(complete)$1

9 philips cd-i games,all complete,$3 each.the games are:

litil divil

little monster at school

treasures of the smithsonian

a great day at the races

jepardy

berenstain on there own

titanic an interactive exploration

shark alert

surf city

i dont own a cd-i system or know much about them.did i get a good deal on the cd-i games,or meh??

ps: classic gamer 24,i will put pics up later when im not so tired.driving a big rig wears ya out :) !!

Edited by wccw mark

The Strategy X label is all there the end is a little frayed but all there.

Another flaw common to Konami carts is that the gold metallic ink tarnishes. Sometimes it gets so dark that it's practically invisible against the black background. How bright is yours?

ahhh thanks mark for thinking about me ;)

i got some more items as well including silent hill green label ps1 for 5.99 and

resident evil directors cut green label ps1 for 5.99 as well

and they had bomberman land for the wii for 14.99 cib and shrinkwrapped but passed since i don't own a wii is it forth getting for 15 bucks just to collect?

Hit the Thrift Town kind of on a whim yesterday and got quite a haul. The bill was about $25, but I have a job now so can afford to splurge. Leisure Suit Larry for the PS2 set me back a bit ($6), but I figured the novelty might be worth some giggles. As it turned out, the wife and I had a lot of fun playing it. Who knew?

The Game Gear with big bulky battery thing was also $6. Weird pricing.

And hey, looks like that Haunting game goes for $20 or so on eBay. Cool. Edit: or 99 cents! (I love how people are quick to burst my bubble :))

http://cgi.ebay.com/Haunting-Starring-Polt...1QQcmdZViewItem

post-6271-1217368405_thumb.jpg

Edited by phaxda

got today at goodwill:

PICT0002-1.jpg

gunstar heros for genesis(complete)$1 (this is gonna replace my cart only copy)

rocket knight adventures for genesis(game and box)$1

strider for sms(complete)$1

dirty harry for nes(cart only)$2 (i asked why the nes game was $2,and the sega games were $1,she told me because the nintendo game works with the wii :ponder: )

then at a pawn shop:

wario ware touched for wii(complete)$12

I just had to share this big find!

Atari Pong console -- Only $125.00! This was in an "antiques and collectibles" shop. I stopped in after work today.

Console with sticker on back...oh, it's a price tag!

post-6271-1217461969_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture; I was laughing. $125.00 is what it really says.

post-6271-1217461977_thumb.jpg