IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

so, I was wondering if any of you experienced bargain finders could give me (a relative n00b) some advice on how to find some thrift stores in my area? a few internet searches on goodwill and consignment shops is leading me to believe there isn't much of a market here in Jersey for anything other than clothes and jewelery :(

you just got to keep going in the thrifts and checking them out on a regular basis.if you dont go,you wont find anything.also doesnt hurt to be friendly to the cashiers/workers there.

Had a decent weekend for finds.

Game Genie CIB NES 2.00

3d World Runner Box w/Man NES Free

P.O.W. Box w/Man NES Free

Ninja Gaiden NES .50

Baseball Stars w/man NES .50

Tecmo Super Bowl NES .50

Bases Loaded II w/Man NES .50

Tecmo Super Bowl III SNES .99

Pitfall! SNES .99

Home Alone CIB SNES 1.49

The Humans Gen 2.50

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge Gen 2.50

Wacky Worlds Gen 2.50

Adventures of Cookie and Cream CIB PS2 5.99

High Heat MLB 2004 CIB PS2 3.00

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit NIB Xbox 5.00

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune CIB PS3 34.00

Dragons Lair II CIB DVD 1.99

Who Shot Johnny Rock CIB DVD 1.00

Zelda Phantom Hourglass Lunch Tin NIB 10.00

Space Invaders PNP 1.00

Frogger PNP 1.00

I almost shit myself.Today i found a 2600 heavy 6!!!!!!!!It says Sunnyvale,california on back.The thrift shops have increased their prices now as some already know,where i live anyway.It cost more than usual,but i wasnt gonna bitch about the price for this gem!Man you guys aren't kidding when you say "HEAVY".This thing is built unbelievably rugged!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik

I almost shit myself.Today i found a 2600 heavy 6!!!!!!!!It says Sunnyvale,california on back.The thrift shops have increased their prices now as some already know,where i live anyway.It cost more than usual,but i wasnt gonna bitch about the price for this gem!Man you guys aren't kidding when you say "HEAVY".This thing is built unbelievably rugged!!!!!!!
Come on man, how much did you pay? :twisted:

Here are some numbers that are on the back of the heavy 6 i found from my post #5931 above.Can any of you experts tell me what they mean? Model NO.CX-2600.(obvious)MFG by Atari Inc.,SunnyVale CA(obvious)and a bunch of patent numbers.And this on very bottom S.N. 82507G.Thanx

Edited by Rik

Here are some numbers that are on the back of the heavy 6 i found from my post #5931 above.Can any of you experts tell me what they mean? Model NO.CX-2600.(obvious)MFG by Atari Inc.,SunnyVale CA(obvious)and a bunch of patent numbers.And this on very bottom S.N. 82507G.Thanx

I am not certain but I think that the S.N 82507G means it is the 82,507th one made.

Come on man, how much did you pay? :twisted:

I usually dont post or reply to posts asking how much I paid,its not important to me.If I found this a year ago,I would of paid $7.99,which is what I saw a 2600 DEV unit sell for,which I lost out on!Thrift shops have caught on that they can or should be selling for more money now.Because of that ,I paid $39.00 for my heavy 6.And its in MINT cond.The faceplate has no faded letters,all are nice and brightly coloured.I DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO CLEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!But i did anyway to "disinfect" it ,never know if there's cockroach eggs in those things or other nasties.I almost missed it!At first glance I said to myself,oh,just another 2600!,I have enough of those.Then I walked by it again on my way to look if theres games,cus usually when a console comes in,chances are games for it came in with it also right?No games :mad: So I walked by again and the thick plastic along the bottom of the fake wood panel,with the "ROUND" edges,not "SQUARE" corners like on the cheaper asian made 2600 caught my eye!.Then i felt my bowels loosen,IT A HEAVY 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :thumbsup: ;) :o

Edited by Rik

I usually dont post or reply to posts asking how much I paid,its not important to me.If I found this a year ago,I would of paid $7.99,which is what I saw a 2600 DEV unit sell for,which I lost out on!Thrift shops have caught on that they can or should be selling for more money now.Because of that ,I paid $39.00 for my heavy 6.And its in MINT cond.The faceplate has no faded letters,all are nice and brightly coloured.I DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO CLEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!But i did anyway to "disinfect" it ,never know if there's cockroach eggs in those things or other nasties.I almost missed it!At first glance I said to myself,oh,just another 2600!,I have enough of those.Then I walked by it again on my way to look if theres games,cus usually when a console comes in,chances are games for it came in with it also right?No games :mad: So I walked by again and the thick plastic along the bottom of the fake wood panel,with the "ROUND" edges,not "SQUARE" corners like on the cheaper asian made 2600 caught my eye!.Then i felt my bowels loosen,IT A HEAVY 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :thumbsup: ;) :o
Nice! I probably would have grabbed it myself, I'm in the market for a heavy sixer, and $40 for a mint one sounds like a nice deal to me!

Nice! I probably would have grabbed it myself, I'm in the market for a heavy sixer, and $40 for a mint one sounds like a nice deal to me!

Thanx!!!!!!!!A lesson learned for me...NEVER OVERLOOK ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not certain but I think that the S.N 82507G means it is the 82,507th one made.

Thanx,that sounds right ;)

Here are some numbers that are on the back of the heavy 6 i found from my post #5931 above.Can any of you experts tell me what they mean? Model NO.CX-2600.(obvious)MFG by Atari Inc.,SunnyVale CA(obvious)and a bunch of patent numbers.And this on very bottom S.N. 82507G.
"S.N." = Serial Number. There are several free patent sites online which you can use to look up the patent numbers.

See The Official "Heavy Sixer Serial #" list. We're not exactly sure how the numbering system works but prevailing theory is that Atari did not start from #1 (more likely 10000 or 10001), and the letter at the end started at E and was incremented each time the 5-digit number rolled over. So after doing the math, your unit would be either the 252506th or the 252508th unit made in Sunnyvale. However, certain number ranges seem to have been omitted along the way (for which we don't yet have a sufficient basis to account), so it is very likely to be lower than that by some multiple of 10000. Edited by A.J. Franzman

Here are some numbers that are on the back of the heavy 6 i found from my post #5931 above.Can any of you experts tell me what they mean? Model NO.CX-2600.(obvious)MFG by Atari Inc.,SunnyVale CA(obvious)and a bunch of patent numbers.And this on very bottom S.N. 82507G.
"S.N." = Serial Number. There are several free patent sites online which you can use to look up the patent numbers.

See The Official "Heavy Sixer Serial #" list. We're not exactly sure how the numbering system works but prevailing theory is that Atari did not start from #1 (more likely 10000 or 10001), and the letter at the end started at E and was incremented each time the 5-digit number rolled over. So after doing the math, your unit would be either the 252506th or the 252508th unit made in Sunnyvale. However, certain number ranges seem to have been omitted along the way (for which we don't yet have a sufficient basis to account), so it is very likely to be lower than that by some multiple of 10000.

Thanx A.J.Franzman your assistance is appreciated again! ;)

Edited by Rik

Richard Hudson here, long time lurker, first time poster (at least in a long time.

All for US $15

Tapeworm

Fantastic Voyage

Space Jockey

Pigs in Space

Fast Eddie

Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle

Pole Position (2600)

Squeeze Box

PS. Are there any classic game lovers in Fairfield County Connecticut left?

I didn't get anything today, but I passed on some awesome and ridiculously overpriced stuff!

Passed on the following:

Axelay (SNES) marked at $10.99

Genesis 3 marked at $98.00

The same place had a bunch of boxed NES and a few boxed Game Gear games but nothing I really needed, and I didn't really want to know what they were charging for them.

How come some heavy 6'ers dont have the channel switch or hole like mine,is it really needed?It is a disadvantage?

NTSC models without the switch operate only on channel 3. If that channel happens to be used for broadcasting in your area, you will have a difficult to impossible job trying to get an interference-free game picture on your TV. I'm not sure, but since those with the switch seem to be fewer, my guess is that Atari did some research and distributed the consoles by region, sending those without a channel select switch to areas where there were no broadcasters using channel 3 (which, I believe was a channel used only in very few places at that time.)