IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Thats where I got Myst from, I currantly don't have any system to play the Jap games with, I looked through thgem very throughly though for the ones I wanted. :)

I've got an Action Replay clone from Lik-Sang for my Saturn.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...roducts_id=100&

I could do with doing an order from them again if you want to split postage.

Ugh. I went on another thrift store spree today, and found almost nothing. 3 Atari compatible joysticks, a pair of Gemini paddle controllers, and Sewer Shark and Microcosm for the Sega CD. I'm not sure I can muster up the enthusiasm to keep looking for games and consoles in thrift stores, because I never find anything. It just seems pointless. It's as if someone goes out on a regular basis and wipes all the stores clean of anything videogame related before I get there. I can find overpriced Xbox and PS2 gear in pawn shops, but I can't find a freakin' thing in thrifts. :sad:

Ugh. I went on another thrift store spree today, and found almost nothing. 3 Atari compatible joysticks, a pair of Gemini paddle controllers, and Sewer Shark and Microcosm for the Sega CD. I'm not sure I can muster up the enthusiasm to keep looking for games and consoles in thrift stores, because I never find anything. It just seems pointless. It's as if someone goes out on a regular basis and wipes all the stores clean of anything videogame related before I get there. I can find overpriced Xbox and PS2 gear in pawn shops, but I can't find a freakin' thing in thrifts.  :sad:

I well know the feeling, Steve.. it almost seems like there must be a better way. ;)

Sources are really drying up. I'm pushed to find anything earlier than the SMS or the NES even at the state's biggest swapmeets. Few Thrift/charity stores are interested in anything electrical due to what's typically described as an insurance crisis. While pawnbrokers do have some stuff, few go back any further than the SNES.

There are now several active individual dealers in old video games. Their prices are typically eBay prices, yet they rarely have anything truely worthy of those prices. I wonder how much stuff they get to before I have a chance. Similarly, I wonder if they're telling people that there's no value in the old interesting stuff.

Oh, and lastly, swapmeets have an entry time for sellers, then later an entry time for buyers. Waiting outside the last big swapmeet I saw someone I recognised who was only a buyer wandering around at least 20 minutes before we were all allowed in there. As it happened, people were still unpacking when we left, but he still shouldn't have been in there.

Simple

Boycott Ebay, The dealers read these pages. Particularly here in OZ, How many times have your read "Atariage rates it as??"

Seriously, alot of ebay sellers have cut their regular prices from people not buying from them. Check ebay aus for a good laugh. Notice the sales with no bids that have been doing the rounds for weeks,,,,,,,,

I picked up an Atari 2600 collection from a charity store. Some guy asked for it to be held until 11am. 11am came and went, so I got:

* A 2600, power supply and three joysticks (Woo and/or Hoo.)

* Kangaroo (already used in the GreetingCart compo)

* Asteroids

* Centipede

* Ms. Pac-Man

* Hero

* Dodge 'Em

* Swordquest: Earthworld

* River Raid

* Combat

* Space Invaders x2

* Breakout

* Q*Bert

* Hot Action Pak

* Frogger

* Chopper Command x2

* Mouse Trap

* Sports Action Pak

* Stampede

* Keystone Kapers

* Ghost Manor/Spikes Peak

* Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot

They wouldn't separate any games. If it hadn't been a charity shop I wouldn't have paid the A$50 they were asking, but I wanted the Kangaroo cart for the compo.

Chris, I'd have to Disagree with you on what you said about the Swapmeets. My local swapmeet (Centro Warwick) is normally fairly good, cause you can go in real early. Yes, Karrinyup is closed for Xmas, but I still found something predating SMS/NES Today.

Atari 2600 6 Switch /w 10 Games, etc: AU$10

I'd say this year on whole has been way better then last year, swapmeet wise.

Lucky you. I got that game today, House of the Dead 2 for $10 but no extra disc. :sad:  

And I spent another $15 just for a gun which seems to be aiming to the left. Or am I using it wrong? Interact Light Gun.

Ive gotta say ive always had probs with the original DC gun, its not good to hear that a 3rd party isnt very good. And i think of how excellent the saturn gun is. $10 is still a great score :)

Lucky you. I got that game today, House of the Dead 2 for $10 but no extra disc. :sad:  

And I spent another $15 just for a gun which seems to be aiming to the left. Or am I using it wrong? Interact Light Gun.

Ive gotta say ive always had probs with the original DC gun, its not good to hear that a 3rd party isnt very good. And i think of how excellent the saturn gun is. $10 is still a great score :)

Never had a problem with the DC gun.

Exept I like the build and weight of the Saturn gun better.

@Jasoco,

HOTD2 has a gun configuration screen so it's a good idea to use that :)

If it's physicaly shooting left theres not much you can do.

Of course you could just be a bad aim :P :P :P

@Jasoco,

HOTD2 has a gun configuration screen so it's a good idea to use that :)

If it's physicaly shooting left theres not much you can do.

Of course you could just be a bad aim :P :P :P

Well, seeing as I can move to 5 inches from the screen and the bullet hits 5 inches to the left, I do believe it is borked.

What are the chances of a guncon working with a DC to PSX adapter??

If you're referring to using a DC gun on a PSX, it won't work. The DC controller port includes video timing information, but the PSX's doesn't -- PSX guns need to be patched into the video cable between the deck and the TV.

What are the chances of a guncon working with a DC to PSX adapter??

If you're referring to using a DC gun on a PSX, it won't work. The DC controller port includes video timing information, but the PSX's doesn't -- PSX guns need to be patched into the video cable between the deck and the TV.

Actually i meant using a guncon on a dc.

I bought the japanes release of HOTD2 with the gun early in production, Maybe the gun got better??

Well it's almost been a year since I started this thread and finaly my local thrift

has figured out I'm not going to pay $5 for a lose Megadrive cart :D yay

Today the thrift lady bought out a box full of Megadrive games, 2 consoles and 3 controllers (1 honey bee :) )

She was actually keeping it in the storeroom for me :D

2 games got my attention .... Sonic & Knuckles (lose) and Sonic spinball (box & inst.)

but there where about 30 games all together.

How much for this bounty you ask ..... AU$20 ...... but I have to wait untill tomorrow because I'm broke right now (as always).