IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not in the least bit. It was easy for me to find around 2 years back at most and didn't cost much so I didn't even try and find a deal on it. Sparkster though, at least on SNES is harder to come by and gets some money.

That said though now browsing those pictures, he's in the business of buying, selling, keeping a few for himself. There's a lot of money to be made there on what is in that bundle, yet also a lot of $1-5 type stuff too as it's a real mix. Sonic 3 with a working battery is I think around $10-15 loose and there's 3 decent and one that's label roached so at least $40 there. The two Tiny Toon titles are also if I remember right another $10-15 game too of which there's 2. Quite a few easy enough sold for $5 games as well so not a bad deal.

Edited by Tanooki

Is Rocket Knight Adventures supposed to be rare or something?

Not sure it is considered rare but I NEVER see it in the wild and it is jumping up in price. Cart only is $20 and complete is double that. Genesis has been going up and I think I might want to sell this one and drop the extra $20 and grab a complete while I can. I may just see what a box/manual runs me. I'm still annoyed over not buying ps2 wild arms alter code F back when it was $30.

I think it's got legit Sanwa buttons, yeah. They're very good buttons, yes! But I don't think they're significantly better than the Happ Competition buttons I installed in my custom stick... they look less cheap but they've got the same actuating force. The joystick... yeah, that's better. Shorter throw, feels tighter, makes less noise.

Beyond that, the MadCatz feels a lot more solid than my custom stick. You could press a shirt with this thing considering its weight. It's a very, VERY good joystick, but if you're thinking of paying five hundred dollars for it as I've seen it go for on eBay auctions, you need to put down the crack chimney.

On Rocket Knight Adventures...

That was always on my personal "Hidden Gem" list. I bought it back in the day out of a KB Toys clearance bin on a whim for $19.99 and still have it CIB to this day. I figured that since it was a Konami game, it would at least be decent. It's hands down one of my favorite games of the 16-bit era! I still can't get past the level where you fight the other rocket knight in the mech battle, though.

On video games and yard sales...

I haven't seen many older games at yard sales since the current retro craze began. Around here, that stuff doesn't even hit the yard sales; it's usually on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, or LetGo for stupid money because it's "old". Even 2600 stuff, the really common stuff too, goes up there for absurd prices. Hell, there's even a sign at the end of my street now that someone put up in the past couple weeks offering to buy old video games. That ship has sailed, at least around here it has.

• Like 1

On Rocket Knight Adventures...

That was always on my personal "Hidden Gem" list. I bought it back in the day out of a KB Toys clearance bin on a whim for $19.99 and still have it CIB to this day. I figured that since it was a Konami game, it would at least be decent. It's hands down one of my favorite games of the 16-bit era! I still can't get past the level where you fight the other rocket knight in the mech battle, though.

The game is soooo freakin' good. Sucks that Sparkster isn't. I bought my CIB copy at a convention for like $15 about three or four years ago. I bought it because I knew it was good, but I was blown away by how good it actually is.

The mech fight is easy once you get the pattern down. You have to know the precise distance to be at so that you're as far away from the enemy mech as possible but still able to connect your punch, then back up immediately after hitting him so he can't get a counter punch in, and repeat. The end boss battle is harder and more frustrating, IMO.

It was about 19 years ago when I played and beat Rocket Knight Adventures. From what I remember most of it was pretty easy. Pretty sure I beat it in one setting. I was visiting relatives in WV and wanted to beat it before we had to go. I do remember a few enemies being a bit tricky but It wasn't to bad. I beat it the same day I first played it. It is a really fun game but under rated as far as gems go.

I found two more PS2 slims last weekend along with some modern games. A little while back I got a 2DS (sans charger) for $2.50, lol. They had it in a bin of kiddie handhelds, 'Leapers' and similar.

We typically do pretty well around here, got seven Goodwills within a ten mile radius along with a few fleas and variety malls.

I snagged 4 Saturn cases for $1 each. No games in them but the cases are in decent shape no broken hinges or cracks even I was surprised. Came form my local Game store even.

Independance Day

Virtua Cop 2

FIFA Soccer

NCAA 97

Edited by Professor Gull

It was about 19 years ago when I played and beat Rocket Knight Adventures. From what I remember most of it was pretty easy. Pretty sure I beat it in one setting. I was visiting relatives in WV and wanted to beat it before we had to go. I do remember a few enemies being a bit tricky but It wasn't to bad. I beat it the same day I first played it. It is a really fun game but under rated as far as gems go.

I've had it for awhile without really getting into it... like most of the rest of my games....

Consider it a visual find as I'm not that stupid, deep pocketed or insane but side by side at a retail place I was at an hour ago had Bubble Bobble 2 ($315), Super Turrican 2 (Game+wrecked box - $250), and Mega Man 7 (CIB very nice for $400.) Makes you kind of die on the inside a bit. They had Rockman 7 next to it for $15, I bought that. Then I came home and accepted an offer I put on a Super Everdrive v2 with DSP1/2/3/4 installed for $75 shipped. To hell with that kind of abuse.

• Like 1

I saw your post in the SNES mini thread, lol. Wish I hadn't sold off all of my PSP stuff way back, but there are so many ways to play these games on the computer or TV, it is not even funny.

Why would someone pay $315 for an NES game is beyond me. In our local retro shop, they had an SNES game in the glass case for $500 just as a lose cart. It was something pretty obscure and I don't remember what it was.

I saw your post in the SNES mini thread, lol. Wish I hadn't sold off all of my PSP stuff way back, but there are so many ways to play these games on the computer or TV, it is not even funny.

Why would someone pay $315 for an NES game is beyond me. In our local retro shop, they had an SNES game in the glass case for $500 just as a lose cart. It was something pretty obscure and I don't remember what it was.

PSPs, eh? I've got a dozen or so, should you find yourself in need, man. Chips, cords, blah blah blah, as well. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I try to not sit in judgement of what folks choose to spend their disposable (?) income on, but I feel you. It can be baffling at times. It's certainly nice to find such things in the wild, though. Nothing like Felix the Cat, SNES rpgs, and Xonox games for pennies on the dollar from your local yard sales. 8)

Sure, I've profited financially, we all have, but I'm much more into the barter system.

I just enjoy playing the games, always have, and would rather see this stuff in the hands of someone that actually GIVES a damn about it and not just out for the clams. The goodies that I get in return just sweeten the arrangement.

• Like 1

Yeah nice, and in all fairness that Mega Man game I'd buy that if selling off the box and manual brought the game back down to a reasonable ($50~) level on the back end. I really doubt it though that a manual and a piece of cardboard would go that far.

Speaking of Felix I had an angry moment on that one last weekend. Have not had my eyes on the NES one in a long time. Guy at the smaller eastern flea market from here ends up having this guy who sells basically anything he gets from random sources (he's a junker) and he has a verbal agreement with an indoor old man reseller. He has nine tubs of gaming stuff a mix of disc based systems/games/accessories, a little bit of handheld and NES. Right on top of a tub was a minty nice looking Felix, SMB3, DK Classics, TMNT3, and a few others. I know from the outdoor guy his pricing and since I'm on the old guys good side he only put a couple hundred into everything. GIven that place is only good on the outside and it's small while the inside is just oddly Tijuana of Kentucky I'm not sure I want to go back at all. Totally demotivating knowing anything of interest game wise will be gone no matter how early you show up due to side deals. I already was told anything worth a little bit for the NES was going home to be put on ebay so it's already gone.

I cheated. :P

I have been wanting a home copy of Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator for... well... something. I missed out on a super cheap CIB Vectrex version for only $20 shipped, so one of my "suggested" auctions had these two 5200 carts.

65AxRgZl.jpg

$8 and a few days later, they were in my mailbox. I have always wanted to try the 5200 version, and I didn't have Ms. Pac Man either, so I'm happy. Now I want to get ST: SOS for everything else! :-D

I actually went hunting this afternoon, and came up with absolutely nothing. My usual "honey hole" has been running dry lately. In the past, I've scored so many deals at this little antique/junk shop a few towns over from mine, but I think those days are over with. They had a Coleco Mini Arcade Pac-Man in fair condition, but it was $50 with no guarantee of actually working. There was also a Tomy electromechanical mini arcade called Cosmic Clash, and they said "$35 ALL DAY" so I left it. Some guy on a FB group picked up a Coleco mini arcade from them a few months back for like $5, so he must have tipped them off. :mad:

I still feel outside of that duo of Interplay Star Trek point and click (with some light ship combat) and the SNES/32X Starfleet Command, nothing beats the Arcade Star Trek SOS -- a truly fantastic game. I hope that version does well by you.

As far as those Coleco's go, they usually do work or just don't. Go back tomorrow and with 4Cs and demand to try it. If they work, get it, they go for notably more, especially Ms Pac-Man. It's fantastic. It is to the arcade version of Ms Pac Man, multiple maps, coleco follows the same too for both (pac is 1 and done, ms pac has a few.) I'd be mad too if some facebook guy paid $5 then let them know they screwed up as that's just uncool, stupid too, as they'd still be $5 now for more potentially.