IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I like that hope the pieces all there. You know that Tetris cube they sold a couple years back at like pharmacy/grocery/toy stores? I found one for $2 at a goodwill many months ago and despite being so cheap I tore that box open and counted every part. I'll do the same with a 100 or so piece puzzle too whether people like me in the way or not as buying incomplete games/puzzles is just bad. I don't blame them not having time to count but it's still bad that stuff like that even gets put out.

Family events kept me away from the thrift stores last weekend, and Hurricane Harvey had the honor this weekend. What to do with all this spare time? Organize and snap pics of all the stuff I'd brought home before last weekend!

The video game pickings have been a bit slim at my thrift store. The day I saw these was no different, but you know, sometimes you don't need actual games to make a score...

post-6115-0-83091000-1503872598_thumb.jpg

Sure, they're flattened, but whoever did so took the time to flatten them carefully. And then donated them. Go fig. I won't complain though, because a few of these will fit nicely into my collection. The rest I'll have up for sale soon.

The rest of this post has nothing to do with video games, but plenty to do with my other big passion: music! A lot of good vinyl has come in to the store, so much that I am once again woefully behind on my listening! There's been a little bit of everything, from '50s and '60s oldies to '70s and '80s classics. I even picked up a few Richard Pryor and Cheech & Chong comedy albums. Fun for the whole family! Pictured below is just the very tip of the iceberg. The rest are still waiting patiently in my game room.

post-6115-0-45712600-1503872852_thumb.jpg

But it isn't just vinyl that's come in. On two separate occasions, the store got big stashes of audio cassettes. Since cassettes don't sell very well on the floor, I gather them up and then sell them in bundles on eBay. On occasion I'll also set a few aside to listen to, if I haven't yet heard a particular album on vinyl or CD. Well, after wading through the most recent donations, here's the "few" I'm currently holding onto:

post-6115-0-83821300-1503873073_thumb.jpg

And those are just the ones I'm "borrowing". Against better judgment, I started yet another collection a while back. I decided it would be fun to collect the biggest album from every successful '80s artist on cassette, to celebrate the decade's music and its most popular portable media format (portable CD players weren't really a thing until the very end of the decade). Well, whoever donated the last batches of cassettes must've also been '80s music buffs, because a good third of this collection, maybe even half, came in only in the past month!

post-6115-0-27682700-1503873264_thumb.jpg

I'm already out of space on the shelf where I'm keeping these. Heaven help me if any more come in. Do me a favor and wish or pray that I don't see, say, Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason or the Alan Parsons Project's Eye in the Sky or Falco's 3 on cassette anytime soon!

Then there was this...

post-6115-0-03621600-1503873475.jpg

Nothing special, just an old CD-ROM, right? Not exactly...

post-6115-0-22741300-1503873500_thumb.jpg

You know, it would almost be worth trying to find more of these to store and show off PC games on floppy. Almost.

And finally, if you thought the Harman Kardon CD-R I ran across was ridiculous, check this out:

post-6115-0-26393100-1503873834_thumb.jpg

Yes, you can get genuine Apple DVD-R's, certified for use in your Apple DVD-R recorder. Accept no substitutes!

• Like 4

You see tape boxes, and I see a really insanely fun way to setup an entire Gameboy(any version) library in little boxes you can print up art for already online. :D Takes obviously more room but it's nice.

That Pokemon Red box brings back some memories, it was my first.

I've got a challenge for anyone here who wants to accept it, and no this message will not self destruct. On Saturday at Goodwill of all places I stumbled upon something for $10, one of those what the hell is that moments where you know you really should just pick it up because you'll never see it again type situations. What I found to put it in perspective here is a set of 7 toys from the 1960s, and what makes this so damned peculiar and rare is the fact they're Made by Kibbutz Hanassi, Upper Galilee, Israel. It's the Israel Defence Army Set. Right side of the box is in Hebrew but the left side points out precision cast models - centurion tank, armoured car, 25 pounder with ammunition carrier, jeep and other authentic models. Basically it appears the set can vary but those are the constants, the other 3 in mine are a troop covered truck, same truck but with sides/open top for supplies, and then a willys pick up truck. The company name is Gamda Toys. Nothing but a little loop on the back of the 25pounder and the plastic jeep windshield are damaged(missing) as all the paint is intact, and the stickers are mostly there (they're the cheap water type from models so with age they've flecked off a bit.)

The only thing I can find is that one dude on ebay is trying to OBO a set differing from mine and with NO box for $2000USD or Best Offer. I can't find a sales history anywhere on ebay or google more or less(just a blocked UK auction site where a boxed set sold but they hide the value w/out having an account.) One guy (2K dude) on ebay seems to know stuff, trying to get help there, but no one is willing to let even damaged ones (lots of paint lost) go for under $250 each on ebay.

Anyone here know anything about this set or someone who is from or in Israel that may have a clue? They're NOT for sale, going to display these with my other old antiques and the few old military toys I have too.

• Like 3

Finally got some controller adapters for my Videopac G7200 so tested it out and surprisingly all of my O2 games I tried so far play fine on it :) also played a little Sega CD

Odyssey 2/Videopac

post-39068-0-07961300-1503895452_thumb.jpg

Attack of the Timelord - 156min

Demon Attack - 30min

Power Lords - 45min

Skiing - 25min

Sega CD

Jurrassic Park - 30min

• Like 3

Your Odyssey2 has a built-in monitor? Freaky! That must have cost a lot of money.

Well I actually ment to post that in the what have you played tracker, not sure how I managed to get it in here lol. But yea the G7200 is a awesome European Videopac system :) but it is a bit more pricey than a US Odyssey 2 and the shipping wasn't cheap either lol

• Like 1

Nice shape and with box? List it for $20,000 and see what kind of fish you catch with that bait.

I could, like the other guy on ebay for $2000obo, but I don't want to. The only data I forgot to mention I could find was a tiny google scanned copy of a couple pages in a book by some Brit who does writeups on old toys who has like 2-3 books out there. It was published in 2006 and it gave a little company history of the short life of Gamda Toys that folded in 1965 (more or less, were bought and lasted just a few more as Gamda-Sabra as they got in bed with US based Cragstan and sold rebranded toys for their name for a bit.) This set appears to have come from 1965, and it's the so called holy grail set from that company as very few were produced and he felt a boxed set could fetch 400£ (today's conversion over google is $516USD.) I doubt the value reduced but it's either flat or higher. I tried to find contact info for the guy but hit a wall there too. All in all if it's still worth 400£, not bad for a $10 purchase. :D

Currently trying to figure out where to display it. I may just keep it in the box with the top flap open as it has cool art.

=) indeed. The way I look at it is pretty black and white.

Back in 1960 Israel had a population of 2M and how many would you guess were kids? Then figure how many individual toys would have been made figuring that, then cut that down dramatically for a total set of 7 right when they were folding up shop. It's a real curiosity to me and I find when I locate something I've never seen before, and if with what little I have I can afford it, I buy it because I know if I like what I see and know I will never see it again I'll go after it. That's why I picked it up.

Doesn't matter the decade either, a month or so ago I got a Space Sheriff Sharivan vinyl robot japanese figure complete in its box for $20 at a flea market -- the toy itself isn't common on ebay to pop up, but finding the box according to Japanese toy collector sites are almost impossible. Another case of I could make out like a bandit, but instead box is on one shelf, toy is under my desk lamp because it has really awesome red lightly see through molding with glitter in it so it looks like a red candy coat car paint job in the sun.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I haven't gone out hunting in a while, but I made a last minute, quick trip to the local flea market while out with the wife yesterday. I hit my usual vendors and netted these:

D3S7BMBl.jpg

One booth is an "overflow" of a local game store chain, where they bring the stuff that doesn't fit in the stores to sell cheap. They have giant racks of PS2 and OG Xbox titles, all 3 for $5, so it's great to pick through. I've wanted to try Prisoner of War since it came out, Whiplash looks fun, and Enclave seems to be uncommon and people like it, so I'm happy with that. Also, they don't really sell pre-NES stuff in the stores much, so they bring the bins of that stuff to the booth and it's all cheap. I scored the ratty Popeye for the 5200 for $1, just because I love Popeye and I want to try it on the 5200. Dragonfire was $5 at another booth, which is well worth it because it's such a fun game. Not bad for $11 total!

Also, at the booth with Dragonfire was a boxed Microvision that looked MINT for $20. Someone else grabbed it before I could. I keep telling myself, "it probably didn't work anyway", LOL!

• Like 2

Found a Parker Bros. Wildfire for $30 at an antique shop (it was really a junk shop with a few antiques here and there)

You're in for a treat. I found one of those complete locally a few years ago and I keep it in my desk still. Sure it's old and uses just some well placed red light to simulate a ball, but surprisingly it works out really well and has for its limitations enough to do to keep you entertained.

I haven't found anything good for a long time, then all of a sudden I'm finding games at good prices left and right. I found the games below, all games that I do not already have for $2 each. I even picked up a pair of weird mini controllers that look like the fit an Atari 2600.

I'll probably go back and buy more stuff. The guy I bought them from had a small stack of TRS 80 cartridges, which I've never seen in the wild, a bunch of colecovision games I already have, 2600 games, commons, colecovision 2600 adapter, and an Atari Ram Module. Even though I don't own a TRS 80, the chances of me finding cheap games for one in the future are pretty slim, lol. I'll probably go back buy a few more games for $2 and see if he'd take $1 a piece for the rest he was trying to get rid of them. Last week a I picked up 8 CIB Intellivision games that I needed for $3 a piece.

It's been a good couple of weeks, almost too good. My wife is starting to get upset with all the "junk" I'm bringing home, lol

post-8713-0-92046400-1504242480_thumb.jpg

Edited by fred
  • Like 3

I bought an empty box for a few bucks.

So this guy had a sega Cd game in his hand going to trade it in and I caught him before he hit the door.

"Pardon me good sir are you planning on trading that in?"

"Yeah but I don't think they will take it the game is all ruined and I have no way of testing it but I thought it might be worth a try."

"Could I see that?"

Inspecting the game and seeing the light through the disk I was for sure it was not playable.

"Yeah that wont ever play its missing data. See here you can see the light through the disk in lots of spots. they probably won't offer anything for this. I will give you $10 though for the box and stuff if you like."

"Sure"

So done deal. Time to find a disk that works now.

DIo-FsCXkAQEPyK.jpg

I even picked up a pair of weird mini controllers that look like the fit an Atari 2600.

Yeah, the Amiga Power Stick! I used to play 2600 games with that. Works with the VIC-20, too. I liked it back in the day, but game controllers have gotten so much better since then that it might be tough to go back.

I have a couple sets of that Amiga Powerstick. Very compact controller though no solid switches still worked reasonbly well. Keep a set with my Commodore SX64 in the cloth accessory bag.

commodore-sx-64-accessory-bag.jpg.