IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not gaming related, but I did find an attachment for a lawn tractor the other day that sells retail for around $140. I paid a little less than $18 for it. I don't have a mower it will fit on, so I'm going to flip it. The money will probably go in my game money fund, though.

I've had finds like that, some by accident, some not. Three weeks ago I bought up this Black and Decker extra long life lith-ion battery that goes on many of their yard tools. I thought it would work with the 2 I have, but the fools changed the bracket and it wouldn't fit. Was hoping to get like 30-40min instead of 10 out of my stuff. But I paid $15 and it could go for $75-100 on ebay -- but I'd rather it just work for me. :(

Today I found this oddball 1978 Tomy wind up mini robot for $2, and for 2 x $5 GBA Chu Chu Rocket and Jazz Jackrabbit. Happy to have those, loved JJ as a DOS game and the other no more dreamcast so good!

Decent day, though a bit humid, and the shitburger I ate for lunch is sitting in my gut like a hot stone. (I know better, I accept full blame for my willful idiocy/craving.) Found this plastic storage thing, nearly new, for two bucks. I know, I know, it's not very aesthetically pleasing nor solid, but it's a nice temporary fix and houses four rows of 24 carts very comfortably:

post-61233-0-78962000-1502574355_thumb.jpg

post-61233-0-98838900-1502574315_thumb.jpg

Also found this for $2....seems to be in good shape and lit right up with batteries, but I see no connection points except for an adapter port:

(?)

post-61233-0-97602000-1502574383_thumb.jpg

The find of the day goes to my wife - she found this beauty in a box of Happy Meal toys and other non-related junk! A Japanese Hedorah at a yard sale that I'd written off as a run-of-the-mill 'old lady clothes/household crap' affair. He (she?) is not only in great shape, but soft and squishy, my favorite type of vinyl!

post-61233-0-98693100-1502574426_thumb.jpg

Love the toxic green detail on the tentacles...

post-61233-0-77157200-1502574405_thumb.jpg

:-D

• Like 2

Man you guys find some really cool stuff!

Lately I've seen some cool stuff in the wild too! And some of it is even video game related haha...

First, I saw a Lamborghini in town the other day. I know it's not a video game, but I just thought it was cool. Haven't seen one locally since I saw a Countach here in the 80's...For the record it was a Gallardo.

Second, today as I mowed a lawn on the outskirts of town I saw a Praying Mantis. That's just cool because I've never seen one before and I didn't know they even lived in Wyoming. It climbed up a shed as I walked by and kind of freaked me out at first....And yesterday my friend and I walked around a pond at dusk and saw a ton of bats feeding on all of the insects nearby...My friend had never seen a bat in the wild before...I have, though. In fact in college, our class went to a darkened room (part of the "bat lab" at the university) and watched them feed the bats....Very cool being in a small, dark room lit by one single red light bulb as the bats feast on crickets in front of you...They'd fly within about 6 inches of people causing some girls to scream, but never once bumped into anyone...Fascinating...And now to get on topic (sorry)...

I think the number of times I've actually seen anything good or video game related at a yard sale or thrift store could be counted on one hand. Once I bought an Adventure cart for Atari at a garage sale for 75 cents in (about) 1988 and I instantly loaned it to a friend I never saw again...And about 4 years ago I snagged some PS2 games for $2 each at a charity sale at a bank...

Then there's Today...

I saw a garage sale 2 blocks from my house. I was on my way to mow a lawn, wearing old clothes and shoes etc., and looked like I just crawled out of a rock in hell, but thought, it couldn't hurt to ask...

So I pulled over. Then asked the guy, "Do you have any video games?" He pulled a box out from the back of the garage, and said "Playstation 2?", I said, "Sure! Or anything Retro..."

He said a buck each so I just took everything he had...

I know for a fact I already have Lord of The Rings, Guitar Hero, and probably some of the racing games (I mean who can keep those straight, am I right?), but for $15 I raced back home and grabbed some dough...I'll probably sell the duplicates on eBay sometime...

I'm quite happy! And look only 1 sports game!!

Cheers!

PS2 Haul

PS2 Haul2

PS2 Haul3

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 4

The find of the day goes to my wife - she found this beauty in a box of Happy Meal toys and other non-related junk! A Japanese Hedorah at a yard sale that I'd written off as a run-of-the-mill 'old lady clothes/household crap' affair. He (she?) is not only in great shape, but soft and squishy, my favorite type of vinyl!

attachicon.gifIMG_3057.JPG

Love the toxic green detail on the tentacles...

attachicon.gifIMG_3058.JPG

:-D

Wow I'd have loved to have found that Hedorah, would go fantastic with the old Godzilla I found some months back for a couple bucks too.

i hit a few yard sale yesterday and found some old Camp Snoopy drinking glasses & a Garfield glass for $1. There were a TON of PC disc games at this yard sale too but I glanced through them and they were mostly war games so I passed.

I also found a few orange card POTF figures like Yoda and a Stormtrooper.

A few Wii games (Clone Wars lightsaber duel among them - my boys will love it) and some DS/GBA games like Animal Crossing Wild World (complete in box)

Then I found some N64 games: Perfect Dark, New Tetris and Quake, all in very good condition.

• Like 4

Got a TV Games Ms Pacman Plug and Play from a garage sale earlier, 50 cents. Also has the twist joystick for analog control in Pole Position. These sell for $30-$50 on Amazon so good find. I would love to give it the cigar box treatment like I did with Pacman 35th, but not sure how to incorporate the steering wheel.

• Like 1

Got a TV Games Ms Pacman Plug and Play from a garage sale earlier, 50 cents. Also has the twist joystick for analog control in Pole Position. These sell for $30-$50 on Amazon so good find. I would love to give it the cigar box treatment like I did with Pacman 35th, but not sure how to incorporate the steering wheel.

Yeahhhh, but Amazon is an inflated joke that nobody really takes seriously, they actually sell for closer to $10-$15. ;)

(Ebay/completed auctions/tons of 'em.)

Still a hell of a deal for two quarters, though!

I didn't realize that the things were even sought after; I've got a half dozen of them, heh. Seriously, you stick builders should be taking advantage of my wealth of p&ps....not as if they're doing ME any good....

• Like 1

I was at Family Video yesterday and they had Wii Sports Club for $10. I know it's barely improved over the original Wii game, so there's no way I would pay anything close to the $50+ that eBay sellers want, but $10 isn't bad at all B)

I remember liking the Motion Plus controls in Boxing a lot back when I played the demo.

They also had Game & Wario, and I'm not sure if I need to go back for it or not...

Edited by Asaki

Got a turkey shirt, random Dreamcast game and a Wii S-video cable (I already had component but the CRT I'm using right now only goes up to S-video) from thrifts today, the ugly miss pac-man and Dig Dug were clearance from a local store.

DHXowBNW0AERPrr.jpg

Edited by FireStar
  • Like 1

U1nreoy.jpg

Didn't expect to find Atari Conversational anywhere at all. It seems complete with 5 cassettes plus one fake cassette plate (binder holds 6) and a book inside the binder. No Atari computer to test with so it's up for grabs. The binder has spine damage about 2" from top coming off.

Game Gear came with Sonic 2. Put batteries in, LED lights up and the screen shows life, and contrast dial changes the black screen's blackness but no game shows up so either it's got dirty cart slot or something. I am about 100 miles away from home atm so I don't have access to other games to check with.

Speedpad N52 seems to work but keys seems a little crappy like it needs serious cleaning. Not sure what to do yet but it was only 2 dollars. Keypad in HID mode (no Belkin driver) acts like the left half of the keyboard plus cursor key (directional pad) and space. 3 colored LED lights up on plugging it in but I think the function is only via official driver.

• Like 1

If Craigslist amounts of a thrift despite being stuck waiting 90min due to a freeway closure having someone bring it most of the way to me I got Skies of Arcadia Legends Gamecube an hour ago for $45 -- complete in overall excellent condition. Been wanting to slide that back on the shelf after getting the Dreamcast out of here.

Bonus I was smart enough to keep my prima game guide for it all this time too as it's quite expensive to buy too. ...and now the wait for time to enjoy it and that GC HDMI external adapter device.

• Like 1

I must have fifty Dualshocks, but I love them so much and always welcome more!

(Not sure about the other brands, but they were all priced very reasonably.)

I've been making a conscious effort to no longer ignore PC stuff. Found these three - one from Sierra and one from Lucasarts - and had to grab 'em.

post-61233-0-73653700-1503170115_thumb.jpg

These are actually reasonably sought after, apparently. They feel a lot like the Advantage. Price is all over the place, though; the last three sold for $12, $52, and $79! (?!?)

post-61233-0-92590700-1503170132_thumb.jpg

Good day out, looking forward to the END of this nasty, soupy humidity.

Oh, the old timer I bought the XB sticks from told me to come back tomorrow.... "Well, my kids crapped out on me for the day, but we'll be back tomorrow! I KNOW they had all kinds of games and tapes at one time....I'll tell her to pull it all outta the garage...." I'm going to go back and see him tomorrow. Maybe bring him some lunch.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's weird, like when you don't expect things they just kind of pop up not when you're really after them.

The other night I get Skies of Arcadia Legends for $45 on GC complete, and then today for $10 both MOH European Assault + Wave Race Blue Storm again both complete.

Perhaps the wait listing for the GC HDMI mod thing did it. :P