IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not exactly a banner day for great finds, though I DID score this awesome Wico Boss stick at the very first Goodwill! Also found some various 80s figurines and my wife found some Disney dolls from her youth. Had a nice lunch (taco truck) as well.

post-61233-0-20559000-1499555360_thumb.jpg

post-61233-0-73831200-1499555626_thumb.jpg

Passed up this thing:

post-61233-0-33887900-1499555648_thumb.jpg

:)

That's a good tip, not sure what that place is but that sticker is new to me. I actually got one of these a year or two ago at the flea. Spring time you get the winter pallet buyers and they had a few of them where the box was jacked up but still new/sorta sealed for $5. Money well spent with great games, covert cord tucked into the back of it, and high score saves.

That price sticker on that pac-man pnp looks like one from a similar store from me, they must be a chain. Means you can come back in a month and it might be half off.

The chain is called 'Bargain Hut/Hunt'. There is another a few miles from this location and it seems to be the better of the two. Walked in on opening day to find TWO (bagged/carded) vintage Marmit Ultraman kaiju sitting side by side in a bin along with a ton of carded 90s figures. (?!?)

The store seems to be your typical (oftentimes kickass) closeout store, much like BigLots, only this place is no holds barred -- I've even found loose/used stuff sitting among the retail items, lol, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what an individual location will stock.

Truly like a flea market chain.

Oh, regarding that $11 Pac thing, it'd have to hit 90% off for me to have any sort of interest. Those types of devices just aren't my scene, I pass them by on the regular for next to nothing. ;)

• Like 1

I got lucky today out and about with thrift like stuff (well flea market and an estate sale last day basement item.)

At the flea I came across Striker 1945 PS1 CIB for $4 (shame it's a copy of the MVS cart I have I found out playing it.) Big score to me was paying $35 on a couple of old 1980 MEGO toys -- Dukes of Hazard General Lee and also a 57 Chevy white cop car for Hazard Co in great shape on both...seems the cop car is alone worth $50+ and the Lee what I put into the bundle. :) They'll be found a nice shelf space somewhere, have to find me a random show cop for the car and the Duke boys for the car for my own satisfaction. Also a sealed up original 1989 era Gameboy cleaning kit for $10, I opened it up already want to use it. :D

The estate sale, found a NES Action Set box, styro, and with some of the paperwork/posters(maybe all need to check) for $12. Probably going to sell it, but might not. If I had a NES already for it I'd be happy but they're like bird teeth finding one around here anymore outside of some lame $50-60 craigslist ripoff posting.

The day before found couple Remco robots for $2/pc and also 4 micromaster transformers as well for another $4. THere was a cool Japanese mechanical monkey shoe shine toy too that was shorted for $10, I had it fixed, but then tried it hours later and it blew so I tossed it. :(

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

My local retro store was have a buy more get more sale. So I plunked down some coin and got lots of stuff. All said and done about $40 spent for everything below. The only thing missing from the picture is Jungle Strike for the Genesis as well as a friend wanted to borrow it.

DEiM-DiUAAAurJg.jpg

• Like 1

My local Goodwill had a lot of game stuff.

Xp70EGN.jpg

Lots of N64 games, all $9.99 each. Nothing good. Boxed N64 console (taped up a lot to prevent people from open it and losing stuff, but I can't check if it has 4Mb expansion or if the controller was good), $70. Also a silver slim PS2 $60, XBox 360 first version $100 and PSX with controller (non DS) $25 plus a dozen NDS games for $10 each.

Seems like my local Goodwill are using eBay price or slightly higher.

The box is taped up with enough tape to satisfy USPS regulation 20x over. You won't be able to save the box at all, and the way it rattles inside there is no tray and probably no manual either. Considering the overall condition of other N64 carts, the Mario cart probably has bad label as well.

Not your typical post, but I found a beautiful bookcase today. The "gaming cart" I had made didn't make sense in our new place, and I wanted a more traditional setup since I had the space for it. In great shape, solid wood construction with a nice stain finish. Got most of it setup last night after hauling it home:

post-44598-0-02264000-1499964999_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-17979600-1499965197_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-35268900-1499965298_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 5

Why the sideways pics, do you guys stand on walls when taking them? :rolling:

Some phones use gyroscope to automatically correct photo/video orientation, but it seems like most phones just expect everyone on Earth to be viewing the Internet on a phone, where you can just flip your own device sideways :roll: :roll: :roll:

Today's offerings from the game store. The 3 Atari games were $7 total and the loose Road Rash 3, the TI joysticks and the books were free. I also spent another $10 (not shown) on a bin of 40 - 50 loose atari carts with bad or no labels. I'll go through them and the ones that Albert can use will go to the store for homebrews.

post-2493-0-47309600-1500161023_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

found some DOS 5.25 floppies at a yard sale, many of them are either blank or have back up data but there were some games: Sim Earth (Maxis 1990, 4 disks), Star Control (Accolade 1990, 2 disks), Splash! (Spinnaker 1988, 4 disks), Night Shift (Lucasfilm 1990, 3 disks), Life & Death (Software Toolworks 1988, 2 disks), LHX Attack Chopper (Lucasfilm 1990, 2 disks), The Colony (Mindscape 1988, 2 disks).

Today's offerings from the game store. The 3 Atari games were $7 total and the loose Road Rash 3, the TI joysticks and the books were free. I also spent another $10 (not shown) on a bin of 40 - 50 loose atari carts with bad or no labels. I'll go through them and the ones that Albert can use will go to the store for homebrews.

Good stuff, I had two of those books as a kid.

I recognize Space Cavern, are the other two homemade?

found some DOS 5.25 floppies at a yard sale, many of them are either blank or have back up data but there were some games: Sim Earth (Maxis 1990, 4 disks), Star Control (Accolade 1990, 2 disks), Splash! (Spinnaker 1988, 4 disks), Night Shift (Lucasfilm 1990, 3 disks), Life & Death (Software Toolworks 1988, 2 disks), LHX Attack Chopper (Lucasfilm 1990, 2 disks), The Colony (Mindscape 1988, 2 disks).

Yeah, although I ignored it for years, I find myself paying more attention to older computer items these days. (Sticks, 'big box' games, random cases of discs, etc.)

Nope those are Zellers carts, they're "official" - kinda the way a hotdog is "food" :D

Ooooh are those cool. Not seen any of these, and I've owned hundreds of games - what are the odds?!

Looks like several of them are around $10-$20, seems reasonable for games that I've not seen in my 43 years on this planet.

post-61233-0-86632900-1500171605_thumb.jpg

Seems like many (all?) of them are just rebranded department store versions of existing games, though....I've played Frontline, Circus, Sea Hawk, etc. 'Ocean City Defender' = Imagic Atlantis?

Yea they are more common in Canada as Zellers was a Canadian store like Kmart. My game store has a few of these, these were the cheapest although Inca Gold is usually worth a little more but without the end label I got it cheap. Earth Attack is just Defender. I like them mostly for the labels. Earth Attack is just so trippy :D

• Like 1

I was just telling a guy at work that I needed to look into getting a telescope, because the sky there is so bright and clear. Well, I found two of them today at Goodwill, $10 each, and I'm glad I got them both because one is not that great and the other is missing the eyepiece(s) =)

Got a Space Navigator Deluxe and a really old looking Galileo Reflector. Can't believe I'm saying that I'm actually kind of excited to go to work on Monday @_@

I'll have to look into getting some new eyepieces for the Galileo, I can't believe they actually still make them (albeit with a few modernizations).

The 3 Atari games were $7 total and the loose Road Rash 3, the TI joysticks and the books were free.

Mmm, Road Rash 3...

Ooooh are those cool. Not seen any of these, and I've owned hundreds of games - what are the odds?!

I have two of those: the scuba diving one, and the ripoff of Imagic's Dragonfire (in the upper-right corner).

Never knew they were Canadian, that would make sense. I have a couple Froggo ones, too.

• Like 1