IGNORED

HSC8 Round 10: Up the Creek!

I WAS using an 800XE, but I read earlier something about possible issues with XE and Paddles. I grabbed my trusty old 600XL and I noticed a slight improvement (accuracy). not much.

Then I remembered I had a box with a pair of unused, brandnew paddles.

This combination appears to work better. I still think it is very hard. But now I might get a better score.

The 'problem' I have is this:

1. When you want to walk to the right you have the turn the paddle controler until the spy actual starts to walk.

2. When you want to hold on place you have to turn left and right very fast. Most of the time i can not find the exact breakpoint left/right

3. As soon as the fellow is on the right side of the screen and I have to go to the left, I have to turn the paddles again further than my 'brain' would think.

So it is all about accuracy.

I'm still glad this thread introduced me with this game. I think it can be great fun!

Thanks for the hint btw.

Anymore ideas?

Marius

I played the cake, new 8-byte high score :D

M. - Spy's demise has three control options, we're playing with paddles but really these are the hardest control option! With the others you can hover in the longer platforms between the lifts... but it's a paddles tournament so we have to just try harder (wiggle left and right but keep hold of the paddle - try a different grip to limit your movement) ;)

The strategy is to WAIT before setting off as the lifts to move at different rates - not randomly... I find the middle platforms are harder to cross so perhaps be more patient there. I cleared the first screen (3,395) and got a clue (or was it non clue?) can't remember what these were for. It's sister game Spy Strikes Back was pretty good, we could play that sometime too... never did beat it :ponder:

Had my first bash at Juggler (26,150), it's fun but no idea what I am doing yet, made it to the 3rd level. Wavy Navy (Deckhand 2,670) is a good game - lots of nice additions as the game progresses! Before I had helicopters that shot at you, but didn't this time; there might be difference between ATR vs XEXs :?: anyone else seen them shoot :?:

More scores:

post-19705-0-30049200-1308042000_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-47891700-1308042012_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-70735400-1308041992_thumb.jpg

Table Updated For River Rat please post what level you get to & the score for level 1 if you want to get some bonus point action, checkout post #2 for all the details.

Dangit, I lost my extra bonus points on River Rat...

I think I'm going to keep playing RR and Juggler only to better my scores, I know I can't on the other games... (I'll keep playing Clown Ballons as my GF likes to play 2 player with me, I was playing it and she informed me that it was her favorite game as a kid :D )

... Wavy Navy (Deckhand 2,670) is a good game - lots of nice additions as the game progresses! Before I had helicopters that shot at you, but didn't this time; there might be difference between ATR vs XEXs :?: anyone else seen them shoot :?:

BBob - there are 2 verison floating out there. The version where the planes dont shoot is a bad crack and extremely easy. You need to not use this version.

Edited by therealbountybob

Wavy Navy (Deckhand 2,670) is a good game - lots of nice additions as the game progresses! Before I had helicopters that shot at you, but didn't this time; there might be difference between ATR vs XEXs :?: anyone else seen them shoot :?:

BBob - there are 2 verison floating out there. The version where the planes dont shoot is a bad crack and extremely easy. You need to not use this version.

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I thought I did well to find an XEX version, oh well this is on disk 2 so it's a bit late now.. the link to the full ATR version (as shown below - has author's name on menu) is on post 2 and on [Fandal]- play either version for this tourney (on advanced). I'm switching so if you are up for the challenge swicth over too! If anyone has a better file version please post :)

post-19705-0-56739100-1308137073_thumb.pngpost-19705-0-63422900-1308137092_thumb.png

River Rat is joystick only

Rather than not play, you can use joysticks/keyboard if you can't handle the mouse... maybe the 50% reduction in scores is a bit harsh... I'll see how you get on and adjust this. (others stick to the paddles!) again details on post 2 of which games have joystick/keyboard controls also :)

Dangit, I lost my extra bonus points on River Rat...

I think I'm going to keep playing RR and Juggler only to better my scores, I know I can't on the other games... (I'll keep playing Clown Ballons as my GF likes to play 2 player with me, I was playing it and she informed me that it was her favorite game as a kid :D )

Hope you're giving her the good paddle! Feel free to post scores for others :thumbsup: take a bash at the C&B expert bonus too (see post 2 for details) ;)

Table Updated

New scores!

Breakout Double: 817

Breakout: 659

Breakout Progressive: 928

Clowns and Balloons: 19000

Kaboom: 2247 (using the large paddle)

Spy's Demise: 4225 (finally a better score... still very hard game)

Wavy Navy: 2890 / Deckhand

Downhill Intermediate level:

38.30 seconds

Downhill Expert Level:

44.20 seconds

This games is one of these nice BASIC game examples. It's really fun! I did not know the course was the same every time. The first time I played it I thought: waaah how stupid this randomized course... but now I played it more, and it is the same (each level has it's own course) ... and that makes it possible to practice and get better! YEAH!

Worked on SB Progressive and delivered some more pain on Kaboom! Come get some! :evil:

Kaboom!-

Large paddles: 53,604

Small paddles: 4,468

Super Breakout-

Breakout: 889

Progressive: 2029

Doubles: 503

Cavity: 471

post-25215-0-72622800-1308170034_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-90316300-1308170077_thumb.jpg

Kaboom!-

OMG are you a FREAK!?

;)

Kaboom always gets my dead-level best ;) I've always had a knack for this one and used to make a few coworkers sick watching it. :)

I believe I've also destroyed the HSC record on this one twice now. :D

Edited by zylon

Kaboom!-

OMG are you a FREAK!?

;)

Kaboom always gets my dead-level best ;) I've always had a knack for this one and used to make a few coworkers sick watching it. :)

I believe I've also destroyed the HSC record on this one twice now. :D

Wow guys post overload :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes Zylon you've crushed the Kaboom! record held by VW (whatever happened to him?) 12,850. I'll award you 1 real HSC point as a bonus ;)

Stupidly I tried kaboom on my XE and the paddles were so bad I couldn't even hit a K for my initials... strange that either paddle wouldn't hit this. Hope someone comes up with a hardware fix... back to the XL tomorrow as with McKong and others making progress looks like it's Game On in the HSC :)

post-19705-0-35231200-1308173177_thumb.jpg 471 :twisted:

Ok I gave LIVERWIRE a go too.

I think it is a bug that after you are done the games is in Joystick mode again, but ok.

Greetz

M.

You can fix that one when you've made Juggler not need the 800 translator ;)

p.s. I see you've cracked Spy's Demise now what about those clues anyone :?:

We have a new leader Table :!:

I'm pondering on allowing Zylon 2 entires in the Kaboom table seeing as though he hasn't many games :ponder: Remeber folks checkout all the details for each game in post 2 and lookout for the bonus challenges ;)

Ok I gave LIVERWIRE a go too.

I think it is a bug that after you are done the games is in Joystick mode again, but ok.

Greetz

M.

You can fix that one when you've made Juggler not need the 800 translator ;)

p.s. I see you've cracked Spy's Demise now what about those clues anyone :?:

We have a new leader Table :!:

I'm pondering on allowing Zylon 2 entires in the Kaboom table seeing as though he hasn't many games :ponder: Remeber folks checkout all the details for each game in post 2 and lookout for the bonus challenges ;)

Why am I in next to last place in Super Breakout: Progressive if I have the 2nd highest score? ;)

Edited by Deteacher

Why am I in next to last place in Super Breakout: Progressive if I have the 2nd highest score? ;)

Also, I'm in 3rd place in the other breakout games, but I only got 2 points. Shouldn't I have 6?

It's the new scoring system*... ok I spotted it and corrected it, now we have another new leader... re-posted!

Might have to play the River Rat card tomorrow to counter the M&Ms :P

* I knew I should have gone to bed and updated this in the morning :sleep: