IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

Troy_Whelan, on 28 May 2014 - 8:50 PM, said:Troy_Whelan, on 28 May 2014 - 8:50 PM, said:

I was on the fence about the purchase, then I looked closely and talked myself out of it, then I read RelliK's post and talked myself back into it. So yes, the buyer really wanted NIB as trying to get NIB for all of ColecoVision. :) I blame RelliK really, because if I did not respect his opinion the game would still be on eBay! :-D

Troy

Well I'm happy that you where able to get that. I look forward to seeing if you get it graded :-D :thumbsup: Its cool to know that there's a NIB Robin Hood out there and its preserved! If you ever want to sell it in the future let me know :lust: :thumbsup:

I think you got a good buy! & a one of a kind item especially with the ability of getting it graded

Edited by RelliK111

That is one pretty Robin Hood NIB/Sealed and I can't imagine this one lasting too much longer even though it's a big nut to pay.

You just don't see Xonox games NIB/Sealed.... probably because their games were amongst the best games developed for any system, ever, and people just had to open them in order to play! :ponder:

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe this is factory sealed? I'm skeptical because the seller said it came from a pawn shop and every pawn shop I have ever visited locally has a shrinkwrap machine and liberally reshrinks stuff. Also, there is clearly wear under the wrap which could be just shelf wear that penetrated through the wrap or it could be a sign of a rewrap. The seams are also awfully thick and uneven and don't look similar to early 80s game shrinkwrap I have seen or the Xonox Commodore 64 games I have seen with the wrap mostly intact but the top opened. Frankly, I would bet that this is a reseal. I wouldn't have paid $500 for this when it's impossible to know if the wrap is legit without multiple examples to compare it to or at least some period price stickers or other indications that the wrap is vintage.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe this is factory sealed? I'm skeptical because the seller said it came from a pawn shop and every pawn shop I have ever visited locally has a shrinkwrap machine and liberally reshrinks stuff. Also, there is clearly wear under the wrap which could be just shelf wear that penetrated through the wrap or it could be a sign of a rewrap. The seams are also awfully thick and uneven and don't look similar to early 80s game shrinkwrap I have seen or the Xonox Commodore 64 games I have seen with the wrap mostly intact but the top opened. Frankly, I would bet that this is a reseal. I wouldn't have paid $500 for this when it's impossible to know if the wrap is legit without multiple examples to compare it to or at least some period price stickers or other indications that the wrap is vintage.

I was wondering the same actually .... Maybe the hangtab?

Even then, you could shrinkwrap the box, and stick a hangtab on the back of the box

Yellowed hangtab? .... Yeah, just buy new hangtab and soak them into tea ;)

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe this is factory sealed?

Because all eBay sellers are 100% honest! ;)

You really shouldn't be asking me this question as I was not (and would not) the one that pony up the money to purchase it. The buyer was Troy W. and you can ask him directly on here.

After looking at the pics again and basing my opinion on the pics alone, I would have to say that it's the original shrinkwrap. It would be a different story if I was holding it in my hands to look over and compare with other boxes from Xonox that I own that have opened shrinkwrap on them. BTW, Xonox and Sunrise had very piss poor quality control in place so the issues you mention do not surprise me one bit.

I was wondering the same actually .... Maybe the hangtab?

Even then, you could shrinkwrap the box, and stick a hangtab on the back of the box

Yellowed hangtab? .... Yeah, just buy new hangtab and soak them into tea ;)

Most hangtabs on 80s games were not factory original unless they were actually part of the box itself. If the pawn shop reshrinked the game to begin with, it's very easy to just attach a hang tag and depending on how the game was stored, it could yellow in a couple of years, especially if it was around heat and dust. I just have never seen factory shrinkwrap with seams that thick or uneven on any classic game and it leads me to believe that the shrinkwrap job was done at the shop level by someone who wasn't too precise. I could be wrong, but paying a premium for a game like this that has obvious wear and questionable shrinkwrap seems like a bad decision.

Edited by bojay1997

:( Great - this will suck big time if resealed. In the 80's I was collecting and stopped as it got to be way too expensive. So more a gamer and less a collector after that and until about 6 months ago when I started to collect again. It has been getting expensive lately but I was enjoying it...not enjoying it so much right now. All in all the box looks good except for the areas where the plastic is cracked. Seeing this image of other Xonox games with plastic on them, I do not see any difference in the plastic myself. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219256-rare-colecovision-xonox-games/

:( Great - this will suck big time if resealed. In the 80's I was collecting and stopped as it got to be way too expensive. So more a gamer and less a collector after that and until about 6 months ago when I started to collect again. It has been getting expensive lately but I was enjoying it...not enjoying it so much right now. All in all the box looks good except for the areas where the plastic is cracked. Seeing this image of other Xonox games with plastic on them, I do not see any difference in the plastic myself. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219256-rare-colecovision-xonox-games/

I say, wait till you get the game in your hands

it could be totally legit factory sealed as well

Troy_Whelan, on 29 May 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:Troy_Whelan, on 29 May 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

I think some people might be messing with you, I looked again at the pictures and it looks real! You will know for sure when you get it in your hands. You also have a buyers protection if for any reason its not real. I really wouldn't worry if I where you. I would be willing to bet that it is a real factory seal.

Edited by RelliK111
  • Like 2

I think some people might be messing with you, I looked again at the pictures and it looks real! You will know for sure when you get it in your hands. You also have a buyers protection if for any reason its not real. I really wouldn't worry if I where you. I would be willing to bet that it is a real factory seal.

I'm certainly not messing with him. I have collected sealed games for many years and this particular item has a lot of red flags. The size and sloppiness of the seams along with the extensive wear under the wrap are big problems. I think ultimately it's going to be one of those items that is incapable of ever determining if it's legit or not unless it's actually opened. Indeed, while I strongly oppose VGA grading for a number of reasons, I suspect in this particular case, even they would probably send it back as incapable of conclusively determining whether it's factory sealed or not.

I checked my atari version of CNSK and I see a lot of similarities

I agree that the vent hole appears to be in a similar position, the hangtab seems similar and the general seam pattern is similar. Your seams look a lot less think and they are much more even, however. It could just be the plastic starting to break down or dirt accumulation on the one that was just sold. I think your exemplar makes me somewhat more convinced that the Coleco game that just sold has factory wrap, although it's still not conclusive by any stretch.

I'm certainly not messing with him. I have collected sealed games for many years and this particular item has a lot of red flags. The size and sloppiness of the seams along with the extensive wear under the wrap are big problems. I think ultimately it's going to be one of those items that is incapable of ever determining if it's legit or not unless it's actually opened. Indeed, while I strongly oppose VGA grading for a number of reasons, I suspect in this particular case, even they would probably send it back as incapable of conclusively determining whether it's factory sealed or not.

Did you check the pictures from the link in post #2650? The games in those 2 pictures are ColecoVision games by Xonox where the shrink-wrap has been opened at one end and left on the rest of the box. It is the same heavy plastic with the same think and uneven seam across the middle of the end. Looks exactly the same to me, and unless the games in that other picture came from the same pawn shop and were also shrink-wrapped there then I say the look the same and like original factory seal to me. :) I appreciate your comments and to some degree your skepticism, but I think the evidence supporting a factory seal is much stronger than the mention of a pawn shop in the eBay listing. I am convinced it is legit and I am happy with the purchase. The game has not arrived yet and I am not sure how I could "prove" it is a factory seal. I would be interested in reasonable suggestions though.

Troy

I just checked my sealed Slurpy, and it does not have a seam along the top flap like this Robin Hood example.

Maybe your Slurpy does not have a factory seal! ;)

j/k I would not expect all games from a factory to all be sealed the same way. I have seen other games by the same company where over time the games were simply closed but not sealed, sealed but not shrink-wrapped, shrink-wrapped by different machines, etc. Even something as simple as the shrink-wrap machine breaking down and being replaced or the company growing and needing 2 machines would result in differences in the seam. I would however expect the plastic type and thickness to be the same though.

Troy

LOL, maybe! I'm pretty sure that it is, however, because there is a 1" diameter hole on the shrink where a price sticker used to be, I presume. I'll try to post some photos later. But I agree that shrinkwrapping may not be consistent across all titles. Having to stare at shrinkwrap seams is annoying part of the hobby, I'll admit.

Troy! In my opinion I thing it is legit :)

Here's some pictures of my Double ender. its been open but you see the buttom Wrap. It looks like your Robin Hood.

Too bad its been open...

Thanks for posting those pictures! I agree, the pictures you have and in the link I posted above all have shrink-wrap that looks the same as the game I bought. :) Feeling much better now that my purchase has a similar looking plastic wrap as games owned by others.

Troy

• Like 1

I'm eyeballing a listing for $95 plus 16 games, but I have most of the games, I just want the Colecovision...is it worth it?:

Colecovision for sale. This is among the very first video game systems to hit the market going back to 1981. It is in working condition and comes with the following:

--system with power supply and coaxial connection.
--2 controllers. One does not work well but you can't get a Sega Genesis controller if you need a 2nd controller.
--2 action game controllers
--Steering wheel and pedal. Steering wheel doesn't work but pedal does. You can steer with a normal controller.
--16 games. Haven't tested all of them but those I tested worked.

post-23741-0-83625300-1401511785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Falconhood