IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

The fonts are larger than before (the topic headings are especially large, and the blog entry titles are ridiculous). If you use your browser to reduce the font size it helps with AtariAge, but it will be too small everywhere else. I'm hoping this is one of the tweaks Albert is still planning to do.

Something else that would help (since they won't let us turn off avatars) is if there were an option to display them at a smaller size. I actually like seeing avatars because it helps me quickly identify the author of a post, but I'd rather they were half the size they are now, or smaller (like you see next to the Reply box).

Edited by Nathan Strum

The fonts are larger than before (the topic headings are especially large, and the blog entry titles are ridiculous). If you use your browser to reduce the font size it helps with AtariAge, but it will be too small everywhere else. I'm hoping this is one of the tweaks Albert is still planning to do.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but nice to know someone else thinks the same ;)

I've repeatedly set the "By time period" filter on my "New content" page to "New since my last visit", but it keeps defaulting to "Past 24 hours".

Also, I don't suppose that there is anyway for the "New content" page to show no results (come up blank, like it used to) when I "Mark all as read", instead of having it give the same results only with the topic titles unbolded, like it does now?

This is kind of annoying... SpiceWare's blog has been showing up as unread, which means somewhere in there, is a comment I missed. But I can't find it, without looking through every single entry that has a comment. And it only shows the last five comments (which can happen before I've had the chance to even look at the blog).

They need to let you either:

1. Change the number of recent comments shown in the list, or
  2. Be able to just show unread comments in the list

I've run into this in my own blog as well, where if I don't check in on it and more than five comments get posted, I can't always find the unread ones.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but nice to know someone else thinks the same ;)

I hope this will be fixed too. :)

• Like 1

I could live with the large stupid Facebook-y text if it wasn't accompanied by wide empty space as well.

And it doesn't like default scripting in IE6 anymore...so no more attachments from this computer :(

As I've mentioned previously, IE6 is a horrifically old and archaic browser at this point. It doesn't properly follow any modern standards, and even when it came out it played fast and loose with the standards of the time. It's also very slow, especially in terms of Javascript execution, which is fairly important with this forum software. To say nothing of all the security problems running IE6. It was released over 10 years ago, and in computer times that makes it a dinosaur.

My hands are pretty much tied as far as IE6 goes, as Invision abandoned IE6 support with version 3.2.x of the forum software. It would be a great deal of work on my part to try and massage the forum software and skin files to make it work smoothly.

Is there some reason you are still using IE6? Can you use Firefox, Chrome or Safari?

..Al

Yes, I can adjust the font sizes easily enough. The font sizes did bloom a bit with 3.2.x, although I think I had them set a bit on the small size with the previous AtariAge skin. It would be nice to find some happy medium. If you want to put some mockups together with what you feel are more reasonable defaults on a few different pages, I would not object. :)

Something else that would help (since they won't let us turn off avatars) is if there were an option to display them at a smaller size. I actually like seeing avatars because it helps me quickly identify the author of a post, but I'd rather they were half the size they are now, or smaller (like you see next to the Reply box).

There's a bug with Avatar sizes in forum threads at the moment, which is why they are larger than before. This will be fixed in version 3.2.3, which is now up to 366 bugs fixed. One of Invision's developers is going to look at the "View New Content" and "My Content" issues early this week (where they sometimes come up with no results), which he wants to do before they release 3.2.3 in case there are additional bugs in this area that haven't yet been fixed.

I removed some of the avatars (really, user photos) already, such as on the main index where I felt they really weren't necessary. I imagine Invision will add the ability to completely disable user photos at some point, as they've gotten some flak for the removal of this option.

..Al

Yes, I can adjust the font sizes easily enough. The font sizes did bloom a bit with 3.2.x, although I think I had them set a bit on the small size with the previous AtariAge skin. It would be nice to find some happy medium. If you want to put some mockups together with what you feel are more reasonable defaults on a few different pages, I would not object. :)

Here's a start.

First, the blogs as they currently appear (Safari):

post-2641-0-02225600-1318210942_thumb.jpg

The blog name is listed three times. The one at the top doesn't match any font or style anywhere on AtariAge. The second one (which hierarchically shows it's location) is fine. The third is completely superfluous. Nearly all of the fonts and buttons are at least one size larger than they need to be. The calendar and recent entries are okay.

So here's what I came up with:

post-2641-0-47210200-1318210937_thumb.jpg

Reduced the entry titles by a couple of sizes, and most of the fonts and buttons by one. Left the calendar and recent entries as-is (although I'll reiterate my request for being able to list more recent entries/comments in the side bar). Eliminated the second blog title, moving up the page numbers and "Follow this blog" button to fill the space. Changed the background and font of the blog title at the top.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the AtariAge skin is definitely screwed up on the iPad. Renders fine in regular Safari, so not sure what's going on, but I will investigate.

..Al

Your post came up in My Content pretty much immediately instead of waiting 75 years.

I removed some of the avatars (really, user photos) already, such as on the main index where I felt they really weren't necessary. I imagine Invision will add the ability to completely disable user photos at some point, as they've gotten some flak for the removal of this option.

..Al

Thanks for cleaning it up a bit. ;-)

I will be happy when invision finally fixes it though.

Mitch

Test.

Your test post has been thoroughly scrutinized and does not adhere to the testing protocol. Due to mandatory scheduled maintenance, the next test is currently unavailable. It has been replaced with a live-fire course designed for military androids. The Enrichment Center apologizes and wishes you the best of luck.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the AtariAge skin is definitely screwed up on the iPad. Renders fine in regular Safari, so not sure what's going on, but I will investigate. ..Al
Your post came up in My Content pretty much immediately instead of waiting 75 years.

Yay, "My Content" is updating again for me too, and it's even listing all the threads I had posted in since the forum upgrade. I don't know how much manual labor that required of you, Albert, but whatever it was, it's appreciated. Thank you!