IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

I've never played it, but Bride of Pinbot is a well liked table so I doubt you could go too wrong by purchasing it.

I imagine each and every one of these releases will at least justify the purchase price for a pinball fan. If someone is any sort of a pinball fan, the chances of not enjoying at least one of the two tables seems pretty slim.

So unless they do something like a 40's pack that will appeal to a much smaller niche, I'd say you'd be safe just doing blind buys...

Picked up both packs when I got home from work. Both are $5 each, less than I thought it was going to be (I thought it was going to be $5 per table). They are all awesome, and even the old ones already available on other compilations were worth buying again. The visual upgrades are incredible in Medieval Madness, and that game in particular plays so much faster than before (it was worth it just for that!). Cirqus Voltaire is excellent (first time I played it), and Bride of Pin*bot is pretty sweet as well, although unfortunately I had a nearly endless game on my first try (5+ billion). By that point I figured I was just wasting time and made myself lose, heh. Anyway, hopefully they can get the ball rolling and have this be a regular thing as initially planned. It feels great *finally* having some new content for this game.

Yes it is true, the tables do look amazing, especially on PS3 and this is a worthwhile purchase for any pinball fan.

UNLESS you actually dislike waiting six months between DLC releases.

I'm getting really frustrated at how long this is taking. I know the iOS folks have been enjoying DLC forever but on PS3 it's like pulling teeth and poor XBox folks don't even get the game yet.

What the hell Farsight?!?!?

there are no demos for the new tables? I'd at least like to try before I buy. That's one of the good things about Pinball FX2...

alright, I gambled and bought pack 2 with circus voltaire and funhouse. I've always loved Funhouse so it made it a more easy blind faith thing. And circus voltaire was rated high at the pinball database.

i know nothing about bride of pinbot.

*edit* holy crap. Cirque Voltaire is amazing!!!! the improved lighting is fantastic and it plays great. I've never played this table before and it blew my mind!

I had the luxury of playing on a fully modified table. LED's, the big neon is a triple color neon, and the rom had the simon mini game added. The table is absolutely beautiful.

Yes it is true, the tables do look amazing, especially on PS3 and this is a worthwhile purchase for any pinball fan.

UNLESS you actually dislike waiting six months between DLC releases.

I'm getting really frustrated at how long this is taking. I know the iOS folks have been enjoying DLC forever but on PS3 it's like pulling teeth and poor XBox folks don't even get the game yet.

These DLC packs were approved back in May. Sadly it's all up to Microsoft and the publisher when they're going to be made available, not Farsight.

What exactly would an online tournament even be? A week long contest for a specific table with a special leaderboard?

Neither one really sounds like something that would have my interest, but hopefully if there's demand for it out there, they'll satisfiy it.

Crave Games was the same company publishing Pinball Hall of Fame. If FarSight wasn't happy with them, they should've gone elsewhere.

They couldn't go into details. So we don't know if they're satisified with them and it's all Microsoft's fault, or if it's all because of Crave, or they're dissatisfied with both partners. I suspect the hold up was with Microsoft rather than Crave since some of these updates were made available on other platforms in a more timely manner (What would Crave gain by delaying the 360 updates?). Heck, we don't even know if they're even unhappy with anyone. All we know is that the content was approved months ago and that the date it finally became availalble was out of their hands since they're just the developer and not the publisher or platform holder.

That said, even if they're unhappy with them now, that doesn't mean that they weren't pleased with the partnership earlier and that they should've foresaw what was going to happen.

They're not mind readers.

Edited by Atariboy

The only platform that was somewhat on a timely manner was iOS and even then, that had a bunch of buggy releases. Every other platform had lots of problems. So the common denominator is FarSight. This seems to be a case of them throwing up their hands and blaming everyone else. If you're having problems, buckle down and fix it. Don't just go to the media and say it's everyone else's problem and then hope for the best. They need to get their priorities straight. If they need to cut down the number of platforms, including the 360 platform, then do so.

As for online features, it was stuff they were touting early on. but they've seem to have abandoned all talk of it now.

Edited by onlysublime

What exactly would an online tournament even be? A week long contest for a specific table with a special leaderboard?

Neither one really sounds like something that would have my interest, but hopefully if there's demand for it out there, they'll satisfiy it.

I always imagined an online tournament to be reminiscent of real pinball tournaments--groups of players going head to head in live multiplayer games, the winners moving up on the tournament bracket. Tournament settings would be used (no extra balls, etc). If they managed something like this, I would be interested in playing.

The only platform that was somewhat on a timely manner was iOS and even then, that had a bunch of buggy releases. Every other platform had lots of problems. So the common denominator is FarSight. This seems to be a case of them throwing up their hands and blaming everyone else. If you're having problems, buckle down and fix it.

Right, we get it. Your continual rehashing the same crap again and again was stale two pages ago. We've got our tables now, so it would be nice if people would quit the bitching.

These DLC packs were approved back in May. Sadly it's all up to Microsoft and the publisher when they're going to be made available, not Farsight.

They need to get their priorities straight. If they need to cut down the number of platforms, including the 360 platform, then do so.

So what's Sony's excuse then? My PS3 is waiting patiently for more awesomeness.

They need to get their priorities straight. If they need to cut down the number of platforms, including the 360 platform, then do so.

So what's Sony's excuse then? My PS3 is waiting patiently for more awesomeness.

this is a real discussion. not time for sony fanboyism... go back to your cave. all your posts are just laced with unnecessary cheerleading.

The only platform that was somewhat on a timely manner was iOS and even then, that had a bunch of buggy releases. Every other platform had lots of problems. So the common denominator is FarSight. This seems to be a case of them throwing up their hands and blaming everyone else. If you're having problems, buckle down and fix it. Don't just go to the media and say it's everyone else's problem and then hope for the best. They need to get their priorities straight. If they need to cut down the number of platforms, including the 360 platform, then do so.

You sure like making leaps.

All the poor guys there said was that the first two DLC packs were approved in May by Microsoft and that the delayed release for them was out of their control.

It seemed relevant to point out that statement they made a day or two ago when ComputerSpaceFan said "what the hell Farsight" when he was expressing his frusturation that no DLC packs had been released for the 360.

Not sure why it had to become a finger pointing session placing blame for the umpteenth time for matters we're not even privy to. I don't understand the mentality of some people in this matter. If you're so dissatisfied with them why are you even posting about it? If I'm annoyed by something, I walk instead of still utilizing the product and buying more stuff for it.

I'm all for criticizing them when criticism is due (And no doubt there's plenty of room here for it), but you always seem ready to leap out and attack them even when there's no cause to do so like me passing along that tidbit that this DLC had passed certification in May and that they're not the ones with any power to decide when to release it.

Edited by Atariboy

I like the product idea and the idea that they are trying to preserve pinball. But the execution is completely shoddy and they're handling of PR is shoddy. You solve problems by fixing things not by deflection.

Spacefanboy wasn't expressing any type of frustration. He doesn't even own a 360.

As for changing the conversation, I wasn't the one switching it to the delays of the DLC.. Just a few posts up, all I was talking about was the tables. So to bring the conversation back to the tables, I buckled and got Bride of Pinbot/Medieval Madness as well. :)

I went back to PHoF to make a comparison and I've got mixed feelings on Funhouse. The new lighting effects are cool, but in some ways, the camera movement and the feel of the game was better in PHoF. Medieval Madness in PHoF was definitely not as good as Pinball Arcade.

Oh! I forgot to add! maybe someone mentioned this but I didn't see it. If you're having problems controlling the plunger, pull it back all the way and then slow let off on the trigger to bring it to the level that you would like to release it and then release it. That way you have full control of the plunger at your leisure.

After that, I've been able to more easily hit skill shots.

I like the product idea and the idea that they are trying to preserve pinball. But the execution is completely shoddy and they're handling of PR is shoddy. You solve problems by fixing things not by deflection.

I don't see it

They've make mistakes and I also think they've had some issues out of their control. I don't see the reasons for your crucification campaign though. I think they're doing more right than they're screwing up and I don't see it as being so out of the ordinary that they've had a few stumbles.

I'm writing them off as growing pains since I think they've done ample enough to justifiy some patience. Revisit the matter in 8 months or so and if there are still tons of delays, some unaddressed significant bugs like that scoring issue for a specific table in regards to the online leaderboards, and unfulfilled promises, then I think there would be justification.

But I still think they've done a halfway decent job with tons of promise for the future.

Spacefanboy wasn't expressing any type of frustration. He doesn't even own a 360.

What's this that I quoted below then?

As for changing the conversation, I wasn't the one switching it to the delays of the DLC..

Post 307 wasn't necessary. Someone posted the facts from Farsight that the DLC tables were certified back in May and that they were powerless over when they'd finally be released to XBLA and you jumped in about how Farsight is responsible for it anyways.

It's getting annoying. I'm not a Farsight fanboy, I've criticized them before over various matters including here, and I'm no one's apologist. I simply think some of the criticism they're recieving at various places, including regular instances of it from you, isn't completely deserved and is portraying an inaccurate picture of them.

Can't help but feel compelled to try to introduce some fairness towards them when I see that.

I went back to PHoF to make a comparison and I've got mixed feelings on Funhouse. The new lighting effects are cool, but in some ways, the camera movement and the feel of the game was better in PHoF. Medieval Madness in PHoF was definitely not as good as Pinball Arcade.

Too bad I assume you have no way to reach a properly maintained Medieval Madness machine.

I'd love to see if the differences you're noticing in feel (Not camera movement) are actually more accurate compared to real life or if they've inadvertantly negatively affected the physics for this title from their previous collection.

Edited by Atariboy

I'd love to see if the differences you're noticing in feel (Not camera movement) are actually more accurate compared to real life or if they've inadvertantly negatively affected the physics for this title from their previous collection.

The physics overall are definitely a good bit closer to real life, although there is still a lot of room for improvement. I don't feel at all that the upgrade has affected the game in a negative manner, and I prefer the physics in the Pinball Arcade Funhouse over the HOF version. Either way, again, there's still a lot of room for improvement. The league I play in just got a Funhouse with a pristine playfield, and I have to say, the real thing feels way more claustrophobic to the point where I'm scared to shoot at times. That feeling is completely absent in the Pinball Arcade and I have no problem dominating the game here just as I did in the HOF version (which is the exact opposite of the real life table).

My biggest issue is the camera system for these newest table additions. Sometimes the flippers are cut-off a bit, which is weird. I am playing it on a standard CRT though, so it's not in HD and that might affect it. The auto-track camera function is iffy at best as well, and doesn't zoom in when it probably should, or it stays zoomed for too long and I can't fully judge where the ball is going to land until it's too late.

I didn't think the real life Funhouse felt claustrophobic. But I'm not a good player by any means so getting specific goals isn't something I'm good enough to go for. I just want the ball to survive. :) But at least on the real arcade machine, it was pretty easy to survive.

In terms of PA or PHoF, the ball is more lively than the real thing. I always felt real pinballs feel heavy on the table which is something you don't feel in video simulations. It's not bad and it's pretty darn fun. But realistic has a ways to go.

The thing I liked about the camera movement in PHoF for Funhouse is that it's easier to use and has the camera in the more appropriate places. Like if you get the ball along the left lane, PHoF will momentarily zoom to the top left so that you can read the text and see the goals. PA doesn't do the same. And the movement of the camera is a little slow for camera 2 which is my favorite view for PA. Not that all camera views for all tables act the same. Like Medieval Madness in PHoF has some terrible angles compared to the PA version.

Hey sorry guys, I was being pretty snarky earlier. It's just my frustration getting the better of me.

I really do think Pinball Arcade is a great game, it's a dream come true to see these old classics reborn in a great digital format. Having toyed with Virtual Pinball emulators for years I am really impressed at what a great job Farsight has accomplished here. I guess I let my enthusiasm carry me away on an emotional tangent and I lashed out at the developers when it's not really their fault. Being in a forum of similarly enthusiastic fans causes me to shout out when I'm excited and yell when I'm frustrated but it doesn't excuse ragging on the developers nor the console makers.

What a great world we live in where I can complain about not having enough pinball to enjoy, right? :)

Anyway, consider me "schooled" and I'll learn to think before I type next time.

The physics overall are definitely a good bit closer to real life, although there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Spent a short while with Medieval Madness last night, and that's what I noticed... slightly improved physics over the HoF version, and a HUGE improvement over what the portable versions offer. No more rocket flippers! The ball "feels" significantly heavy on the table and doesn't fly up & around a ramp at every tap. Still suffers from rocket-ball though, where it'll shoot around at unnatural speeds when it shouldn't, but it's definitely better.

alright, got finished making some 720P vids showing off the spanking new packs:

Note: I just uploaded them so Youtube is still doing some processing so quality should be slightly better in a couple of hours. And also note that the game and videos were originally 60 fps but Youtube automatically converts all content to 30 fps so animation suffers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYQOFd0_9c

0:57 start of gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXiJHhj9os

0:44 start of gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7NbCYicdg

1:02 start of gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_668vCC9EMk

0:43 start of gameplay

To have some fun, I also made comparison vids (for the caveats, see the video's descriptions):

I even have the audio of both tables (the PHoF audio for the first half and the PA audio for the second half).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyd1RgKoo8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMSOY6hNMo

does anyone know what this update to the original tables actually does? I applied the update and the tables seem the same. Everything seems the same. Do I have to quit back to dash and reload?

*edit* alright, I quit back to the dash and then relaunched it and now I notice changes such as more flexibility with the camera angle on the plunger. so If the game still looks the same after applying the patch, restart everything.

Edited by onlysublime