IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

Yet if I'm right, they're not going to come anywhere close to meeting their goal for Star Trek.

And if they decide to bite the bullet and fund it in a traditional manner like you're suggesting and are just using Kickstarter to recoup their cost (Something in itself I imagine goes against the point of Kickstarter), that means it's going to happen even if their Kickstarter fails. They're not going to pay for the license and then just sit on it just because the Kickstarter campaign unsuccessfuly paid them back for it. And if that's the case, I suspect that's not going to sit too well with those that donated past $10 the last time around to help fund it and those that were willing to put up money this time if Star Trek magically pops up on most every digital gaming distribution platform that's out there come next year despite this current Kickstarter campaign failing.

People are going to feel jipped, they're likely going to lose a few fans, and even worse, it will close this chapter for them where this unconventional funding source for them is concerned. People aren't going to donate ever again to help an impossible project happen if this one manages to make it to market without being fully funded via Kickstarter.

Edited by Atariboy

They already have around 45% of their goal. They'll get all of it with no problem even after the pledges hit rock bottom during the middle of the normal Kickstarter campaign U curve. I suspect they're doing it now so they can get both tables out in time for Christmas.

edit: I mean they're going to send it to Microsoft for approval well before Christmas only to have it not be approved until February. The other systems will get them before Christmas.

• Like 2

$23,000 is an excellent start.

I guess that means it's safe to ignore what I said before. I guess people are still willing to contribute even without having seen the fruits of their last contribution.

Figured they'd have tough going doing this so soon and with Twilight Zone still a fair ways off. Glad I seem to be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got scared for a quick second. I nailed over 10 billion in Monster Bash, but my score reset. However, unlike when Theater of Magic launched in the first pack, the game is smart enough to recognize it and still registered the proper score for the leaderboards. Just kinda wish I knew about that in advance--I wouldn't have forced myself to lose, haha. :)

I love Monster Bash! There are a ton of details in that game. Points are given like water for this table.

Want to see the points flow like a waterfall? Get "Monster Bash" going (light all the monsters), then while that's happening, get all of their instruments lit. Then you go right into "Monsters of Rock" mode. Crazy points there!

I just find Gorgar as really simplistic. Maybe it's because when I first experienced pinball, it had advanced a lot further than Gorgar. Then again, there are some tables around 1979 that seemed more advanced to me than Gorgar.

It is simplistic, but there are goals and depth to it (like getting all the multipliers, getting the spinner lit, finally getting that extra ball, getting the pop bumpers to be worth 1,000 points a hit, etc). If I recall correctly, you have to do most of that (if not all) on a single ball. I think it all resets when you drain. That's part of the challenge on older games like this.

The biggest issue is, I don't feel this game currently translates well to the digital realm. As Rex tends to put it, the Rocket Flippers™ don't really do it any favors. Where a game like this really shines though is on a real machine, especially in competitive play.

10 billion???? how long did that take???

It took me 15 minutes to get 200 million.

That's a good question. I'm thinking 20 to 40 minutes? I'm not sure exactly. I was pretty on-point with going for the goals. I got to "Monsters of Rock" on multiple occasions, and like the competitive players do on the real machine, I tried to set it up to where I had all of the monsters lit and running at once, and then after activating Monster Bash mode while all of the monster modes were running on top of it, I would focus on gathering their instruments while Bash was running. That would then activate Monsters of Rock (basically the wizard mode in the game), which is ridiculous points and unlimited balls for at least 30 seconds or so. I think I got a billion on one round of that. It's crazy. (and for the record, I have never been able to do that once on a real MB machine. That goes to show how much easier this digital version is!)

(then again, I'm a terrible pinball player).

I just realized those videos were yours (subbed, by the way!). I think your experience might be more enjoyable--even on tables you don't care for, like Gorgar--if you work on some flipper skills. I notice you flap both flippers at the same time a lot. I'm sure the ball's gone down the center drain a lot when you do that. Also, I notice you catch it occasionally, but you miss a lot of opportunities to do so. Likewise, sometimes the ball will come flying down straight at a flipper, and I notice you fire it right back up into the playfield. Practice letting the ball bounce off one flipper to the next. You will find you have a lot more opportunities to catch it that way. Lastly, use the nudging (left analog stick by default). I noticed a couple center drains in your video that could have been avoided entirely by nudging. The nudging in this game is very generous, and the ball will literally move a centimeter-ish on-screen when you do it. :)

On a side note, for anyone curious, real-life tutorials are great for getting to know the rules of these digital versions. Here's a great one for Monster Bash:

great tips!

actually, off-video, I do play much more methodically. but methodically doesn't work well in a video and kind of makes it boring unless you're really good at aiming and hitting goals. the only people that would be interested in methodical playing are true pinball players but my playing is not nearly good enough to keep the attention of a good player. plus, i try to finish a video by 20 minutes. gorgar, I hate that table so I don't try that hard. maybe if I knew the goals better, I would try more but it's hard for me to generate interest in it.

If I can get my xbox working, I'll pick up Monster Bash and play with you guys. I'll record my endeavors as well. I have been wanting to do a let's play series, or just simply adding voice to my recordings (difficult to do unless I buy a mixer), by using a laptop to record as I talk. :)

you don't need any kind of mixer. use any linear video editor you choose (I use Adobe Premiere which is overkill for many people). record your gameplay. record your commentary audio (either concurrently or later on). add both the commentary track and the game footage together and create a new video.

so if I was to do that, I'd use my hauppauge hd-pvr to record the game and its sounds. I'd also wear a mic that goes to my PC and record a separate audio track. then in adobe premiere, I'd have the video track and the 2 audio tracks together.

it's a lot of work if you're willing to do it. the biggest thing is, when you have to perform while it's recording, a lot of times things that are very easy to pull off off-camera always seem to be harder to do when you know you're being recorded. so you end up having to do multiple takes (which I don't do which is the reason I can't make those types of videos because of the multiple takes needed). it sucks to make someone sit through your multiple tries which means you have to splice together a well-edited video to show all your points you're trying to convey.

I'm looking forward to that next pack #5 (Taxi, Harley Davidson). I actually like Taxi a lot in PHoF. never played Harley Davidson... The Internet Pinball Database shows a user score of 7.9/10 for it.

here's the preview trailer for the Xbox 360 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXq9mY4rXcs

so to be clear, pack 4 is Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Knight? any known release date for this one?

pack 3 was Monster Bash and Gorgar.

pack 2 was Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse.

pack 1 was The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot and Medieval Madness.

I'm looking forward to that next pack #5 (Taxi, Harley Davidson). I actually like Taxi a lot in PHoF. never played Harley Davidson... The Internet Pinball Database shows a user score of 7.9/10 for it.

here's the preview trailer for the Xbox 360 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXq9mY4rXcs

so to be clear, pack 4 is Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Knight? any known release date for this one?

pack 3 was Monster Bash and Gorgar.

pack 2 was Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse.

pack 1 was The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot and Medieval Madness.

At my local bar, there's a Harley Davidson. I'm not sure if we're getting the Sega version, or the Stern version. All the rulesets are the same, but I am unsure if the pattern in video mode is the same or not.

Its a relatively easy pinball, at first. Its super easy to get all of the first initial goals of the multiballs. After the first set though, things get a little tougher. My top score I got on a real machine is 770 mil, and I ended up score whoring the video mode to get that (42 mil a pop). This is the first pinball that I was able to truly have a chance to study and play, so we shall see how the conversion goes.

Its a relatively easy pinball, at first. Its super easy to get all of the first initial goals of the multiballs. After the first set though, things get a little tougher. My top score I got on a real machine is 770 mil, and I ended up score whoring the video mode to get that (42 mil a pop). This is the first pinball that I was able to truly have a chance to study and play, so we shall see how the conversion goes.

Well, if the other conversions are anything to go by, if you can score 770 million on the real thing, chances are you will be able to nail 9 billion (at least) on the digital version. :P

• Like 1