IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

I didn't realize that was replicated in these digital recreations. If you are having troubles, I might suggest pushing your buttons faster.

But yeah, basically it's a leaf switch for flippers. Pushing it in slightly will activate only the bottom flippers, while pushing it in all the way will activate the upper ones. In real pinball, it actually takes some really good precision and finesse to control each set of flippers individually. For the most part you don't see people using them like that.

(Example of what the switch looks like)

What was the Frankenstein bug? Could you get unlimited bonuses against Frank by nudging during his mode?

From what I read, the bug was during Frankenstein multiball. Initial bug report was that every nudge would score a jackpot. Then someone figured out that if you trapped two balls you could just keep tapping d-pad left forever and score a 2.5M jackpot with every press. No table movement = no risk of draining. Fun!!

There's an active forum at pinballarcadefans.com with detailed discussions of releases / bugs / glitches.

Also, DLC Pack # 4 is now available for PS3/Vita if anyone is interested...

Edited by boog

Assuming they have fixed the L1+R1 issue, did they mention if they have allowed players the option to turn off that weird stacked flipper thing? I don't know what it's called but basically with real pinball if you hit the button hard both the top and bottom flippers move together but if you hit the button softer only the lower flipper moves. Segmented flippers? Whatever it's called, they added that recently in Pinball Arcade and I don't like it.

Have they allowed us to turn off that option if we don't like it?

Well I downloaded the patch last night.

The good news is L2+R2 work once more. Excellent!

The other good news is Black Knight and Creature from the Black Lagoon show up now in my list of tables even though I haven't bought them which is what I expected since the same happened with Fun House and Circus Voltaire.

The not-so-good news is unlike Funhouse and Circus Voltaire I don't get the option to try before I buy with Black Knight and Creature, I am told I have to buy the pack. Luckily I intended to anyway so no biggie.

The even-less-than-good news is scrolling from table to table I hear the Tales of the Arabian Nights background music playing on both Black Knight and Creature. Ugh.

However, I then purchased Black Knight and Creature which fixed the background music so that's a relief.

Final bit of bad-ish news is the stacked flipper control (whatever it's called) remains and I guess I'll just have to live with that since clearly I am in the minority on wanting to opt out of that feature.

Can I ask any 360 owners how Far Sight is doing DLC for your version? It seems that PS3 is just going to be patched anytime more tables are available. At least, that's how it has been done so far.

I would have thought these tables would be handled more like Rock Band tracks or something where they do not appear at all in your list unless you buy them.

I have no intent in buying Funhouse (nothing personal against the machine, I've simply played it too much in the other versions) so will it always be sitting in my list? Will any future DLC also be sitting there and if so, will I at least be able to play trial versions?

The new tables show up in the list but are not downloaded til u buy them at first I thought something was wrong but figured it out (Im using the PS3 version so I guess this happens to all versions)

And I hate not being able to try before you buy also That was a good way to do it now your out the 5 bucks even if you try and you don't like it who are you going to return it too its DLC so your stuck

DLC Pack # 7 is going to offer TWO new tables!! Elvira's 'Scared Stiff' and the old EM table 'Big Shot'.

They've finally worked out all the PS3 bugs, and will soon be offering two tables for $5 without forcing a double dip. :thumbsup:

Oops... nevermind. Just found out that 'Big Shot' was part of the PHoF:Gottlieb Collection. I don't even remember playing it.

Forced double dips continue... :thumbsdown:

The latest update on the iOS is awful. It won't let me purchase any of the new tables because it says I need to be connected to the Internet. I checked the reviews of this app on the iTunes app store and many people are complaining about this. Does anybody actually test their apps any more? I'm convinced no one tested this latest update.

Also, why are we forced to have to download tables again after we already paid them after every app update? It is so annoying. Even Atari's Greatest Hits fixed this problem. There should be a way to fix this. Sadly, this app has gone downhill.

Oops... nevermind. Just found out that 'Big Shot' was part of the PHoF:Gottlieb Collection. I don't even remember playing it.

Forced double dips continue... :thumbsdown:

I re-bought the Gottleib PHOF collection after losing my first copy for the PS2. Wow it was terrible. The Genie table's good for a late '70s table. Victory however has a terrible playfield design. Tee'd Off is like a No Good Gophers done badly.

I had no idea that the Wii version had 3 extra tables. Goin' Nuts would have been fun to try. But for all the Gottleib tables that were made, they didn't do Devil's Dare or Haunted House? I am disappoint.

Also, the slightest nudge will tilt the table. It is way too touchy compared to the modern Farsight tables.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been far too long since I've played a real pinball table and it's something I've also done far too little of over the years. But I came across a Theatre of Magic table the other day and have a question.

Is it normal to have difficulty really getting the ball to go anywhere? Anything past halfway up seems out of reach almost and the flippers don't seem to have near the power I remember or seem to experience in pinball sims. Even releasing a ball needed about 100% force just to get it out into the playfield. I essentially got nowhere and my 5 balls all quickly drained. On even the most difficult Farsight recreation I've played (Including a rendition of this table), I was able to at least get more than a handful of seconds of play out of at least a ball or two and I also don't recall being this horrible on past pinball tables I've personally played.

Does it sound like a poorly maintained table?

Edited by Atariboy

Been far too long since I've played a real pinball table and it's something I've also done far too little of over the years. But I came across a Theatre of Magic table the other day and have a question.

Is it normal to have difficulty really getting the ball to go anywhere? Anything past halfway up seems out of reach almost and the flippers don't seem to have near the power I remember or seem to experience in pinball sims. Even releasing a ball needed about 100% force just to get it out into the playfield. I essentially got nowhere and my 5 balls all quickly drained. On even the most difficult Farsight recreation I've played (Including a rendition of this table), I was able to at least get more than a handful of seconds of play out of at least a ball or two and I also don't recall being this horrible on past pinball tables I've personally played.

Does it sound like a poorly maintained table?

You may be right but it can depend on the table too.

But if I may relate my experience last summer:

I do know that after years of playing Pinball sims it felt completely different when I played an actual pinball game last summer which I haven't done since the 90's. I was a frequent pinball player in the 80's as well.

I have forgotten the physical part of this game.

It was a completely different experience and I was really surprised because I tried three different machine's and it really made me realize just how impossible it is to replicate the physical feel of the pinball machine and the ball/flippers that are in play, rolling around and using english on them without Tilting the machine. It just can't be done.

These "sims"\games are a lot of fun and they replicate these tables beautifully but after that experience I just can't ever look at these games again the same way and take them too seriously as being "accurate" or anything.

Edited by cimerians

@Atariboy--It sounds like the machine you were playing on was in rough shape. The flippers were most-likely weak, and I bet the playfield was worn (probably didn't look it, but it probably was). On well-maintained machines, there should be no problem getting the ball to go anywhere on the playfield.

At Midwest Gaming Classic, there was a Fish Tales table there. Literally 70% of the opening plunges I did went for a SDTM drain. I was shocked at how many times I was draining. The Fish Tales I normally played at Blainbrook never did a single SDTM drain from the beginning plunge.

Sometimes it's all in the table itself. I used to be good at Star Trek: TNG, but the one I played about 4 months ago made me look like a rank amateur who never played pinball before(right lane drains after 10 seconds).

• 2 weeks later...

Android update came out today.

Big Shot was made only OK. Its very predictable. If you plunge in the same place, it follows the exact same path. Way to go rehashing the game farsight. :/

Scared Stiff is also only OK. Its an OK game with the same issues as big shot. Lots of unrealistic bounces. Oh well maybe next pack will be decent

I love how the new PS3 update shows me Taxi and Harley Davidson but with zero option to actually buy them. Ugh.

It was nice to get Elvira and the Party Monsters and it plays well compared to real hardware (my buddy has the machine) but it looks a bit rough compared to No Good Gofers which looks like a million bucks. I don't understand why the difference in image quality. Maybe it's just me.

Farsight on their Facebook finally gave us an update about the Xbox 360 situation. Not an update for new tables, just an explanation about why we haven't gotten anything new in years. It's apparently in Microsoft's court and Crave's court. Crave is going through financial difficulties.

And yet hundreds of terrible games can get published in the indie section.

I love how the new PS3 update shows me Taxi and Harley Davidson but with zero option to actually buy them. Ugh.

It was nice to get Elvira and the Party Monsters and it plays well compared to real hardware (my buddy has the machine) but it looks a bit rough compared to No Good Gofers which looks like a million bucks. I don't understand why the difference in image quality. Maybe it's just me.

Where did you see Taxi\Harley? Is it in the new addons section? Cant find it.......

It's nothing to get upset about. It's not a bug or something of the sort. The PS3 releases are a bit behind and they wanted Elvira and the Party Monsters out for Halloween. So Table Pack 5's release date was swapped with Table Pack 6's release to get pack 6 out in time for Halloween.

Pack 5 is due early this month.