IGNORED

Silk Worm: WIP!

Philsan

The game is in mode E
There is no chance on a colorful background.

:_(

Why not Mode4, multiple fonts, preshifted enemy definitions?

I have a passion for Silworm because in my school times I was responsible for the Students Association and one of the things I done was buying one of that pirate Chinese NES with Contra,... and some guys put their computers in school...

There wasn't many C64 here at that time and I think it was the first time I played on a C64.

Silkworm was the game that I think people most played.

I always wanted to see it on A8.

From my recent learnings, even that some of you think they aren't possible, even those I am still thinking in a way of...

Tezz how will you get all those sprites over gfxs?

C64 gfxs are in 4colours by scanline and sometimes only 3... but how this help? There would be always PF2&PF3 clash.

(not to enter in Eagle's work... just for talking and sharing ideas)

Even with the last answer from Tezz or even a GR.7 I still can't see how would the gfxs background with sprites would be possible :?

pf2/pf3 aside Jose, the strip sections of the backgrounds can be done reasonably with few colours

PF2/PF3 aside no, you have to always think in PF2&PF3...

There aren't many colour's... yes they are normally 3 or a maximum of 4 but even that how would you get all.

The Enemys come in 4or5 each attack wave and possible maximum of 2Attack waves with 4enemys on each...

Jeep and our Heli can be at the same scanlines (and the two at the same scanline can also be on the same scanline as some Enemys)

Even for a three or four Enemys on each scanline like here:

post-6517-0-46224700-1321649074_thumb.png

How would you get the Enemys green colour more Jeep more our Heli?

You have 2grays, White and Blue sky 4colours on gfxs... put PF3 on Helis would clash...

4colours gfxs more, at least green and black on sprites.

How????

@ Eagle, quite a few fonts needed yes :) # of fonts is dependent on the max # of enemies that appear on the same row at a given time in the enemies patterns. Bullets and rockets etc can be char moved. Some mem towards fonts gained from lower screen ram but it would need to be a multi load game inbetween levels.

Problem isn't each version you get the things but the game in itself taht I don't see a way...

Going for the Amiga version would even get things more harder...

A Char-Mode and PF2/PF3 could be a blessing that here I don't see how?

Having the gfxs in 4colours is enough and the 5th colour it's a part of ANTIC4 but don't see where to use it????

The idea is having all the Enemys as soft sprites for cases like this (and like Eagle is doing that he can get the real waves, like 8Enemys maximum):

post-6517-0-62989400-1321650620_thumb.png

This way I would have a White, a Green and a DarkGray (instead of Black) on the Enemys... Could be PF0,PF1&BACKGR.

White and Dark Gray it's on gfxs...

3PFs used and there's left two that would/could be and better if they were PF2&PF3.

On gfxs we have more two grays that if PF2&PF3 would clash...

I was thinking if I in someway something of what i said above then we can have our two sprites (Jeep and Heli) re-sized to 10pixels wide and be two Multicolour PMs/Hardware sprites only.

@Tezz: That would work in character mode if every line was a new set of characters.

@emkay: SWIV??? Narrow screen, double buffered, gr7, 17fps, Digi

hmmmm it's possible. :D

Even less work than here

naaaaa... ;)

Btw: You WIP demo.... is there any PM free, yet? I mean at the full vertical heigth?

and like Eagle is doing that he can get the real waves, like 8Enemys maximum

It could even be sixteen. The program has no restrictions. That only slow down to 25fps.

But then you will have chaos on the screen. :D

Something like you have now in Enemys but change other things into this:

-> ANTIC4 (use like Tezz said)

-> All Enemys and Bullets are 3colour soft sprites but have gfxs like C64

-> Jeep and our Heli resized to 10pixels and be two Multicolours PMs/Hardware sprites only

Like this then:

Even that you'll need some nº of Charsets, how many soft sprites (12pixels wide, exactly the C64 ones) you think you can have on screen at the same speed you have now?

Edited by José Pereira

Don't look at the c64 conversion of the game Jose, it's best always with every existing game to go to the source and plan everything for the A8 from scratch. Although on this occasion the Amiga version rather than the arcade original.

Exactly what Eagle is doing but with Tezz ANTIC4 Char-Mode that I get with no clash and Enemys freely going over all sort of gfxs.

Missiles are now free to use as Fire...

I get a version that I can easily get PF2&PF3 on the different Levels an no clash, the NES version with the gfxs. converted from 1:1->2:1.

The Grounds seems better the ones of the C64 version and in this part 32scanlines (can be one Charset on A8) there's nothing special going on and probably better the C64.

The Mountains and other Levels Top gfxs. would need to be from NES but it could be really good looking...:

post-6517-0-28231500-1321678597_thumb.png

(Jeep seems bad coloured with colour14/15 luminances, probably a 13 would go better and then change that Green Floor (PF2) into other colour/luminance)

Eagle the same as you but:

-> Instead of a clean sky you have gfxs

-> Instead of Bitmap GR.15 I am using ANTIC4 Char-Mode

How many Enemys and at wich maximum fps we could get if it was this?

Edited by José Pereira

Exactly what Eagle is doing but with Tezz ANTIC4 Char-Mode that I get with no clash and Enemys freely going over all sort of gfxs.

I get a version that I can easily get PF2&PF3 on the different Levels an no clash, the NES version with the gfxs. converted from 1:1->2:1.

?

That picture already shows "clash" by the removed parts of the mountains.

Edited by emkay

forget the background...

as early mentioned... the sprites are pre shifted and brute copied into screen ram... so... what is key in a shoot 'em up? to have a nice background or to have smooth movement?

so I would go for the basics in a game... player shooting nasties... ;) and if the sprite engine is fast enough to keep the game play nice... add the damned background in... ;) but as eagle mentioned... and as programmer I am sure... adding backgrounds (without copy clashes) with masking and EOR stuff will reduce the amount of sprites by 50%.

• Like 1

Eagle is doing it right.

I'd rather have 8-10 enemies on a black/ gradiated background then 3-5 on a 3 color background using the same color as the enemies.

further, the nice thing is, the ground contains graphic, so it does not really look like the eighties where all the background was black.

He mentioned he would use the PM for occasional graphics, so it wouldn't even be single-colored background in the end.

Last point, why not go7 try different ways in A8 shooter-development? This game should explore whats possible with simple background and others can code games with complex backgrounds but lesser sprites? Diversity guys :)

?

That picture already shows "clash" by the removed parts of the mountains.

:mad:

That's because I used 'COPY/PASTE' on G2F ;) ...

There's no clash.

Edited by José Pereira