IGNORED

Silk Worm: WIP!

Philsan

Having done games both ways (shifted chars and Mode E) - I think the freedom of Mode E work does out weigh the complexity of soft sprites in char mode - the results can be good either way - and rather than waffle on about what you could do if you twiddled G2F images all day - this is a working example - 8 soft sprites plus PMG ship and parallax backdrop...

From few months I working on a project with soft sprites chars, full screen real horizontal parallax (20 chars height), three layers, and multiplexing hardware sprites. Of course - 50fps.

Probably will also be a decent vertical parallax scrolling.

Eagle

ps. So far I do not present it here. I do not want Jose got a heart attack. :D

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

Having done games both ways (shifted chars and Mode E) - I think the freedom of Mode E work does out weigh the complexity of soft sprites in char mode - the results can be good either way - and rather than waffle on about what you could do if you twiddled G2F images all day - this is a working example - 8 soft sprites plus PMG ship and parallax backdrop...

From few months I working on a project with soft sprites chars, full screen real horizontal parallax (20 chars height), three layers, and multiplexing hardware sprites. Of course - 50fps.

Eagle

I have a good Heart...

btw. Steve, did you put your website offline?

Yes www.jetbootjack.com is no more!

I decided to stop maintaining it a couple of years ago, and then the renewal came up and I decided to spend the money elsewhere :-)

To be honest the site was pure vanity anyway ;)

The materials are copied all over the web, despite requests from me to not do that - so it should be easy to find - if anyone wants to host the complete archive, just let me know...

sTeVE

Eagle

20chars=160scanlines scrolling and linear Parallax scrolling in 4colours bitmap with only 4or5 sprites by line and you much more simple would code Sub-Hunter ;)

And all the Tiles/soft sprites/colours/... are 100% ready to be coded :P

Just to remember:

http://a8subhunter.blogspot.com/

and here: http://www.atariage....n/page__st__100

(look what you could achieve with the A8 Pallete :) ... )

Edited by José Pereira

20chars=160scanlines scrolling and linear Parallax scrolling in 4colours bitmap with only 4or5 sprites by line and you much more simple would code Sub-Hunter ;)

But I'm talking about proper parallax scrolling. Like in Flimbo Quest.

• Like 1

But I'm talking about proper parallax scrolling. Like in Flimbo Quest.

And was thinking if I could help you with something easier (or perhaps it isn't...) :P

Eagle,

I think it looks really great - it's always a series of compromises you need to take to get the game you want up and running!

menace_2.gif

Okay it was only 15fps - but it worked in the real world not the imagination...

Anyway Eagle, looking forward to seeing your game finished, in the video it looks lovely!

sTeVE

We have to put this into the argumentation pool.

Some real good coder has been able to put this game running at 15FPS. There is just one charset used and no parallax effects, no sound, no music.

Edited by emkay

Eagle

:thumbsup:

mk you know that Menace was a running wip demonstration from the coder working on the game commercially at the time hence no sound or music at that stage. No parallax effects? it was using char rotation for the background parallax effect

OK. One char rotation is also a parallax effect. But real parallax is a bit more complex.

Can't we just boot Emkay off somewhere more suitable (a brief spell in 4chan might suffice) and just get on with things?

When do you marry José ? You both fit well together.

When your mum has a window in her schedule to strip at the stag party

You know I'm 44years old. My mother has been 30 years old, when I was born.... so .... ;)

Some real good coder has been able to put this game running at 15FPS. There is just one charset used and no parallax effects, no sound, no music.

1988/1989...

Mac65 running on real hardware, single disc drive, not cross assembler and PC tools...

Done in 10 weeks by a 22 year old in his 3rd year of XL programming, his first commercial project...

And I do have a version with music (really nice Orall Cornelius tunes) and sound effects, 8 soft sprites, emulating attack waves from Amiga version and everything runs at 15fps unoptimized (solid 30fps in ANTIC 5 version)...

sTeVE

I think that deserves a round of applause for not going completely insane during a long 'boot assembler, change code, grind away compiling to disk, run, trash memory and start again' cycle that would turn Ghandi violent.

or maybe mac65 didn't suck quite as much as using turbo assembler on the C64 did...

Edited by sack-c0s

1988/1989...

Mac65 running on real hardware, single disc drive, not cross assembler and PC tools...

Done in 10 weeks by a 22 year old in his 3rd year of XL programming, his first commercial project...

And I do have a version with music (really nice Orall Cornelius tunes) and sound effects, 8 soft sprites, emulating attack waves from Amiga version and everything runs at 15fps unoptimized (solid 30fps in ANTIC 5 version)...

sTeVE

Post it ;)

Get it real. Menace has a rather limited amount of enemies, and 15 fps is not a really playable speed for Silkworm. Also, the "moving" objects can get the 4 fold compared to menace.

Josè is talking about parallax scrolling and PM overlay, with that huge amount of moving objects.

1988/1989...

sTeVE

Post it ;)

Get it real. Menace has a rather limited amount of enemies, and 15 fps is not a really playable speed for Silkworm. Also, the "moving" objects can get the 4 fold compared to menace.

Josè is talking about parallax scrolling and PM overlay, with that huge amount of moving objects.

Yes, I usually talk about that underlays/overlays kind of things...

But here someone, a well known coder on A8 came and starts to code something, just to show ;) ...

If the we will see planes flying around with the Heli(an/or Jeep) that is a proof of concept.

Further things like more Attack waves are more of the same.

Have one Attack wave or have thousands it's coding the same x thousand times.

Tezz: Emkay it's worried more, I think, it's in the Ground Weapons that are in two scrollings ;)

Emkay: I am married, indeed I marry one day but I am waiting for the divorce for to much days.

When I get it I'll think in your proposal, o.k.? :twisted:

Edited by José Pereira

Post it ;)

No, as I said earlier JBJ.com is no longer online, the version with audio was on the site, along with the fast (no parallax and Antic 5) versions, I think the original disks are (along with all my old computer stuff) in storage, but it has been 10 years since I even saw them...

And yes I noticed the usual fantasy talk with no actual evidence, easy to claim you can do better when you never have to show it...

Maybe roll up your sleeves and get real?

Anyways looking forward to Eagle's game!

sTeVE