IGNORED

Calling all UK based Jag fans!!!!

Gaztee

Lynko,

Watching how this subject grew kind of reminds me of what happened to

inky's to subject in events (Chicago).

at first It was going be a local bunch of of us IL guys getting together

to hang play for a few hours then as time passed on the thread got larger

It changed to local gathering to an event.

any ways good luck with Jagfest UK(or what ever you decide to call it)

Dan Iacovelli from the states.

(ps. if anybody is intersted in doing a report on this event in the UK

for The Atari Zone fanzine let me know(also when you get a date set let m know too I'll put a mention of it in the fanzine)

Hi Guys :D

Right one of the guys I know who is interested has dealings with telegames (as he owns his own shop!) & has said that he would be willing to have a word with them about this event. He is also willing to help promoting too. This is even if he can't manage to get time to come himself! This is pretty cool eh?

So now (as I see it) we need to throw out a date, number of days & a venue, so people can give a more definative answer about whether they want to come. There is even a guy from Brazil interested in coming!! He is in London for ECTS from 28-30, just didn't state which month! Anyone?

If people are going to be coming from all over europe then it is really only fair to make a weekend of it? Also, this means more people will have an chance to make at least one of the days?

So shall I get the ball rolling & suggest 21/22 June as a date? This should give us time to organise something? If Tyrant can come up with some decent prices for the hotel/hall etc that would be great. I really don't know London, but as I said before my Dad lives in Hornchurch which is about 20mins outside central London. Maybe I could do something there??

Anyhoo, keep the ideas comming. This is turning out to be an unstopable monster!

Gaztee

:twisted:

I like the name JagFest UK, and no, we're not in europe, we stand proudly apart from europe, while our government might want us to be, we resist.

Well, until your kangaroo shaped isle derives and smashes itself on french coasts ;)

Now, just to piss you off a little bit more ( ;) ), British Isles are geographically in Europe, UK entered the European Union in 1973, just don't accept Euro as its own currency (but it's matter of time :twisted: ).

You know, sometimes I think that my government could have thought at this currency thing just a couple of years more, anyhow...

It would be nice for me to be at JF-UK in June; who knows, maybe I'll have a little time that weekend.

Consider me signed up, I don't wanna give any details to MSN tho, got a big grudge against them :)

The date sounds fine to me, as long as it's not the 11th I'm fine (Sons first birthday) but i think that is a weekday anyway.

I think that not holding it in London may be handy and a lot cheaper, both for hotels and the hall itself, perhaps somewhere near london thats easy to get to on EuroStar/train from heathrow, gatwick?

Or slap bang in the middl eof the UK.

I always find London to be excessivly pricey whenever I have been down there. Especially in the centre

It'll make the planning a lot more dificult if you dont register there. Obviously micros~1 are the most evil company in the world, with the possible exception of aohell, but... msn groups are very useful tools, I thought about somewhere like geocities, looked at Atari.net, but settled on msn since they allow a lot of interaction, and can have multiple administrators so I dont have to do all the work, and I cant be acused of being a powermonger (not that anyone is likely to do that hehe).

You can read without being a member, but to post anything you need to sign up, for which you need a passport (any email address can become a passport by visiting passport.com or hotmail addresses are automatically passports). I really think everyone should sign up, it would make things very confusing otherwise. I understand the moral objections, but we need as many people onboard as possible to make this event work well.

Nice work Tyrant,

Have just signed up. I have asked Randy Femrite for my password to get access to the ADJ list of all known (by him!) UK based jag fans. I can then send them an email to let them know about Jagfest UK.

As of tuesday night I will have a bit of time as my exam is out of the way! So I should be able to get this done.

Now, how do I let you know what I intend to bring with me? :? I am useless on PC's & internet technology, help please :sad: So I am very glad that you have set this up!

Anyhoo off to get a good nights sleep!

Gaztee

:twisted:

If you go to the sign up list, you can set if your coming or not (just joining the group isnt enough since people who are interested but cant come could join), you can also enter any comments, for example, what you plan to bring with, in the notes field there.

As for people having grudges about msn, Im very sorry but can anyone think of a better way? msn groups have some lovely tools, are free, and very easy for people to use. I thought about putting the site up on Atari.net, since apart from anything else it would get a cool url, but while they offer free hosting, they have to set up any scripts, and since everything we need is dynamic thats a lot of work to ask the operators to do and totally pointless since an msn group does it all automatically.

Think of it this way... every page you view costs them money, as long as you dont click any banners you getting one over on Bill Gates every time you use the site.

Consider me signed up, I don't wanna give any details to MSN tho, got a big grudge against them :)

The date sounds fine to me, as long as it's not the 11th I'm fine (Sons first birthday) but i think that is a weekday anyway.

I think that not holding it in London may be handy and a lot cheaper, both for hotels and the hall itself, perhaps somewhere near london thats easy to get to on EuroStar/train from heathrow, gatwick?

Or slap bang in the middl eof the UK.

I always find London to be excessivly pricey whenever I have been down there.  Especially in the centre

It's quite the shame you feel that way. You'll never get a chance to experience HALO that way. You'll be limited to the lesser offerings from Sony and Nintendo. Too bad. Your loss.

It's quite the shame you feel that way. You'll never get a chance to experience HALO that way. You'll be limited to the lesser offerings from Sony and Nintendo. Too bad. Your loss.

T-Bird, I'm wrong or you consider HALO as the 'definitive' videogame? :)

It advances the current art of the videogame as much as BattleSphere did when it first came on the scene.

T-Bird, I'm wrong or you consider HALO as the 'definitive' videogame? :)

It advances the current art of the videogame as much as BattleSphere did when it first came on the scene.

You are a programmer, so I think you know what you're talking about. I played with HALO only with the demo version when the Mac version was available, but I admit, don't remember it very well. :)

Are yahoogroups no good for this sorta thing?

I am more concerned with the information that msn gleen from my subscribing.

As for Halo, not realy bothered and I loose no sleep over it, to me it looks like just another 3rd person shooter, with a bit of squad AI thrown in. Yawn. and a 1st person shooter on a console.. YUCK!) And MS are just really the publisher, (well I spose they bought Bungie, so maybee a little more). To me X-Box and Halo are nothing special, I will get any games I really want when the greedy corp releases them on PC.

As for Nintendo and Sony.. I don't care much for Sony either.. hence why I have no PS2. Nintendo release some top quality games, and the cube also has the dev teams of Namco, Capcom and Sega too. The joys of TriForce etc. I prefer Japanese games mainly to Western ones, they are massivley playable and good fun. Plus I have never seen a crashed GameCube, I have seen several crashed X-Boxes, as have my friend that has bought one.

Anyway.. back on Topic. I am Keen to come along and probably a member of our team with me, the other guy(s) are on hols in france I think. I would probably bring along my BJL Jag and something to show off (assuming I have something to show off and am not too embarrased :) )

I can't wait

Are yahoogroups no good for this sorta thing?

As for Halo, not realy bothered and I loose no sleep over it, to me it looks like just another 3rd person shooter, with a bit of squad AI thrown in. Yawn. and a 1st person shooter on a console.. YUCK!)  And MS are just really the publisher, (well I spose they bought Bungie, so maybee a little more).  To me X-Box and Halo are nothing special, I will get any games I really want when the greedy corp releases them on PC.  

Yeah.... right....

And Iron Soldier is "yet another big robot game", AvP is "another Doom clone", BattleSphere is "just a stupid Wing Commander Ripoff", and Tempest 2000 is "A dumb 1980's vector game".

If you judge HALO by what it might look like in the screenshots, or the demos, then you miss the one thing is does that has never been done before. It SEAMLESSLY integrates the game world into the story of the game and is the first game I ever played that actually FELT like it delivered the longstanding promise of putting the player into an "interactive movie". The plot unfolds and develops as you play, and it throws in plot twists and changes as you go. It does this so well it literally covers over the "mission based" aspect of the game so you don't know it's there at all. I hate "mission" games, so that says a lot.

I recommend anyone give it a real try, and avoid falling into the trap of hating it because it's an MS product or because it looks like something else they may have already played.

I was a co-organiser for Eurocon 2001 (www.geocities.com/eurocon2001) ,which we held in Lytham St Annes, just outside Blackpool in a Hotel.

About 6-8 months prior to the event, we went around loads of hotels in the area for them to quote a party of 30 for use of a conference room and two nights accommodation. The cheapest we found (with facilities that met our needs) worked out at 100GBP per person, give or take.

That included Dinner, lunch & B+B (so no food worries), 2 nights ensuite accommodation and use of the conference hall.

Although London seems to be a popular choice for this con, I would think that you would find it expensive, and with the plethora of cheap flights to smaller airports, anywhere in the country is pretty good.

Of note: We found it to be expensive to run a (residential) con in this country compared to other european countries. At Eurocon 99 in the Netherlands, the organisers rented a big chalet in the country that was self catering and held 30. The cost for this per person was about 30quid, for the whole weekend!

We were looking for something similar when we were initially planning Eurocon 2001, but we found there isn't that type of accommodation readily available in the UK (at least at those prices!)

HTH

Steve.