IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

The rock blowing up just before going offscreen was likely a collision with a saucer coming in from the same location. I've seen that before where it will actually blow up before you see the saucer.

So it's like that new warp drive theory, where a ship is coming into town at warp speed, and unleashes a barrage of exotic sub-atomic particles that blows everything away. Yeh? Makes sense to me.

All this talk of ships and rocks makes me want to go watch "Pegasus".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pegasus_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29

A ST:NG episode where a cloaking device fails and the ship is partly embedded in an asteroid. Thank god this game here is much more merciful, that if you materialize in an asteroid you explode.

Edited by Keatah

The rock blowing up just before going offscreen was likely a collision with a saucer coming in from the same location. I've seen that before where it will actually blow up before you see the saucer.

Just checked the code and the saucer doesn't start processing collisions until the frame after it appears. However, it appears within the HMOVE bars so that it can smoothly enter the screen.

You know what..? I bet there's nothing wrong with the collision detection. Isn't this a normal behavior? It takes the ship a few moments to finish rezzing-up or materializing after it gets all blowed up from a previous collision. And during that time it's an opportunity for U to get away from impending doom. It also flashes various brightness levels as it does this. Takes a few seconds to totally solidify. I bet that's what we're seeing.

That's probably it. We'll let BigO confirm.

Probably changing the shield enabled graphics (blinking between solid and vector ship) would help here too and make things more obvious.

Don't know if I can do that. Surprisingly I've got 25 bytes free in the ARM code after yesterdays revisions, but I need to track down and fix the "jumping sprite" issue I noticed last night and who knows how much space that'll take. Respawn and shields are also different functions which work and show themselves differently (respawn cycles luma, shields cycles color unless the game is monochrome in which case it also cycles luma).

Just checked the code and the saucer doesn't start processing collisions until the frame after it appears. However, it appears within the HMOVE bars so that it can smoothly enter the screen.

So it can be hidden on the left side of the screen then? That's probably where I've seen it happen.

So it can be hidden on the left side of the screen then? That's probably where I've seen it happen.

it actually happens on both sides, the HMOVE hides 7 of the 8 pixels when the saucer first appears as it starts out with X=1 (when moving right) or X=159 (left). X=0 is used to end the saucer's current appearance.

The large saucer spans the full 8 pixels, but the small one occupies the left 5 pixels so it's "offscreen" for 3 extra pixels when entering from the left side. It might make sense to shift those graphic over a pixel or two to better center it :ponder:

Edited by SpiceWare

• Fix to prevent saucer from hiding out in the vertical wrap zone
  • updated "label by" in easter egg
  • centered small saucer graphic
  • fixed the sprite jump glitch
  • menu tweaks to style and color

Release Candidate 6 ROMs - Harmony or Stella1

spacerocks20121114_NTSC.bin

spacerocks20121114_PAL.bin

1 Requires Stella ver 3.7.1 or later. See first post for instructions on how to reduce flicker.

My only feedback at all is that sometimes rocks appear over top of each other and don't look the best when in the multi-color mode. This is one awesome game for the 2600!!!

Funny how much opinions can vary. I have no problem with rocks flickering when passing one another, and the multi-color solid mode is the only way I'm willing to play. :)

Oh, and that title screen logo looks great. It's nice how you've coordinated it with the label. I thought I posted that last night, but apparently it didn't go through.

Edited by KevinMos3

My only feedback at all is that sometimes rocks appear over top of each other and don't look the best when in the multi-color mode. This is one awesome game for the 2600!!!

Yeah, sometimes the color blending due to flicker can look odd, but there's nothing that can be done about that. I normally play with vector style and it's not as noticeable then. Thanks!

Oh, and that title screen logo looks great. It's nice how you've coordinated it with the label. I thought I posted that last night, but apparently it didn't go through.

That was always the plan, the prior logo was just something I threw together as a placeholder. Thomas Jentzsch has been working his magic again and freed up enough space to hold the larger, 2 frame logo that Nathan's been working on. The two frames are flickered to get the red outline around the yellow letters as there's no other way to do it.

Just wondering... Would it be possible to shift "space" 8 pixels left, and shift "rocks" 8 pixels right?

That looks great. I'd need to write a number of new routines to do that and I'm out of space for them. Thomas' has some additional optimizations that might help, but I'm quite pressed for time and I'm not willing to push Space Rocks' release date into next year.

I squeezed in some time last night and applied the rest of Thomas' ARM optimizations. That probably freed up enough space to do the title shift, though I'll have to relocate some data out of the 6507 bank into the ARM bank before that can occur.

Edited by SpiceWare