IGNORED

Last 3 games you played?

23 hours ago, agb said:

Atari 2600

Beamrider Great gane

Pengo First time playing - good game

Gauntlet First time playing, not so good.

Blackout in the Red Room! Great album there in your icon image thingy. Wasted in America is great as well.

Gauntlet is a quarter vacuuming rip-off of Dandy, an old Atari eight-bit game; but I didn't know there was a Gauntlet on the 2600. Is it a hack of another game?

You might dig the experience a bit more if you were to play the best clone of the game ever made, assuming you have access to a C64 or an emulator like VICE 64. It's called Demon Stalkers, created by Micro Forte and released by Electronic Arts. It's better than Gauntlet itself. It's brilliant.

Edited by Chris+++
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Adventure (Arcade) ........................... worst game Konami ever made imo. Gauntlet ripoff but not as good.

Phantoms II (Arcade).............................. This shmup is bonkers! :love::rolling:

Boogie Wings (Arcade).........................Another crazy game. Says "Winners don't use drugs" at the beginning,but I think Data East were definitely on drugs when they made this.

Love the Christmas stage the best!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Dark Adventure (Arcade) ........................... worst game Konami ever made imo. Gauntlet ripoff but not as good.

Yes, it is pretty bad.. but so is BATTLANTIS.  Might want to give that one a look if you haven't.

STRIDER

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

GOLDEN AXE

all arcade

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CALCUZAP (TI-84) - Fun little calculator shmup. Its like if space invaders was a bullet hell.

Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000) - Cool maze game, annoyingly easy to get stuck when trying to turn though.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System) - Weirdly brutal, rings matter a lot less in this version, you cant re-collect them when you get hit. You get no rings for the boss fights, either. I rage quit after dying 5 times to the 3rd boss stage, not to the boss itself but the small jump you have to do after beating him.

• Like 1

Jr Pac Man (2600), been playing this a lot lately since I got my Edladdin controller. Boy, is it hard!

Steamroller (Colecovision), haven't played in a couple of years, so I'm only back up to level 20 or so.

Pac Panic (aka Pac Attack) (AtGames hand held Genesis) Tetris-like... occasional pac man to clear a string of ghosts makes it interesting.
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:04 PM, retrorussell said:

Yes, it is pretty bad.. but so is BATTLANTIS.  Might want to give that one a look if you haven't.

STRIDER

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

GOLDEN AXE

all arcade

I tried out Battlantis! lolz That's a crazy Space Invaders clone,and not a bad game compared to Dark Adventure. I also tried the Japanese version of Dark Adventure called Devil World which is supposed to be better,but I still found it sucky.

playing some good games this Halloween weekend btw!

Avengers In Galactic Storm (Arcade) ............................................. This may be my favorite fighting game at the moment!

Dropzone (NES).....................................................................................This game sucks ok! Didn't like it.

Hellfire (Arcade).............................................................Good shmup from '89. Has a Sega Genesis feel to it.

Edited by lushgirl_80
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, lushgirl_80 said:

I tried out Battlantis! lolz That's a crazy Space Invaders clone,and not a bad game compared to Dark Adventure. I also tried the Japanese version of Dark Adventure called Devil World which is supposed to be better,but I still found it sucky.

I disliked both Battlantis and Dark Adventure equally; I have also played Devil World and it still sucks.  Can't remember the difference between it and Dark Adventure but it wasn't enough to save it.

Next:

ANIMACTION

ART MASTER

MELODY MASTER

all Vectrex

I am trying to figure these out through emulation.  They are light pen games for the Vectrex.  Some I can figure out through trial and error (using both mouse and keyboard) and some I have no idea what to do.  I may have to see if I can order a light pen online somewhere and the 3 games (listed above) for it too.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:37 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

Alwa's Awakening (NES)

Eyra the Crow Maiden (Genesis)

Grand Prix (2600)

... And I'm always playing Cave Story on the Genesis with my kids 'bout once a week. We finally beat Monster X (a big tank boss) last night.

What did you think of Eyra?  I'm thinking of purchasing it but there's not much in the way of reviews online.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

What did you think of Eyra?  I'm thinking of purchasing it but there's not much in the way of reviews online.

First, a disclaimer...I've only played the first few levels so far.

But from what I have played, it's very good!  The controls are very responsive. Jumping, hit detection, weapons... All that feels right.

It's very polished visually. The sprites are colorful and detailed, great pixel art. Every time you rescue a guy, it's satisfying. Sometimes they look different too, and they all say 'Thank You' in the same way as the POWs in Metal Slug. The fact that they just stand there afterwards with their ripped warrior abs and watch a female continue to do all the work is amusing to me.

I'm just getting to the point in the game where the weapons start to get bigger. I don't know if they keep getting bigger and better, but hopefully they do. Even if they don't, that's okay. The game so far has a pretty methodical layout, and I only really get hurt if I screw up and miss a jump or get careless with enemy timing. There's nothing frantic about it, unlike say Contra or Metal Slug or even the Sega Disney platformers. Those can get frantic, Eyra doesn't.. or at least hasn't yet.

I recommend it. The crow mechanic doesn't do much yet... But maybe that gets better.  The game certainly looks great and controls well. For a homebrew, it's definitely of the high quality we've gotten used to in the last decade. This certainly could have been a retail release bitd, and probably would have gotten good reviews, especially the art and graphics.

Also I'm drawn to fantasy genera games, especially Nordic flavor, which this just oozes. For whatever reason I'm partial to kicking ass with female leads in games too. Eyra is a joy here for that and mad sexy too.

So yeah, high quality release. Big thumbs up and there was a ton of attention to detail in this. Well worth supporting the authors in my book.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

First, a disclaimer...I've only played the first few levels so far.

But from what I have played, it's very good!  The controls are very responsive. Jumping, hit detection, weapons... All that feels right.

It's very polished visually. The sprites are colorful and detailed, great pixel art. Every time you rescue a guy, it's satisfying. Sometimes they look different too, and they all say 'Thank You' in the same way as the POWs in Metal Slug. The fact that they just stand there afterwards with their ripped warrior abs and watch a female continue to do all the work is amusing to me.

I'm just getting to the point in the game where the weapons start to get bigger. I don't know if they keep getting bigger and better, but hopefully they do. Even if they don't, that's okay. The game so far has a pretty methodical layout, and I only really get hurt if I screw up and miss a jump or get careless with enemy timing. There's nothing frantic about it, unlike say Contra or Metal Slug or even the Sega Disney platformers. Those can get frantic, Eyra doesn't.. or at least hasn't yet.

I recommend it. The crow mechanic doesn't do much yet... But maybe that gets better.  The game certainly looks great and controls well. For a homebrew, it's definitely of the high quality we've gotten used to in the last decade. This certainly could have been a retail release bitd, and probably would have gotten good reviews, especially the art and graphics.

Also I'm drawn to fantasy genera games, especially Nordic flavor, which this just oozes. For whatever reason I'm partial to kicking ass with female leads in games too. Eyra is a joy here for that and mad sexy too.

So yeah, high quality release. Big thumbs up and there was a ton of attention to detail in this. Well worth supporting the authors in my book.

Thanks for the info @CaptainBreakout!  It's interesting that it is also available for NES and even SNES!  It tends to remind me of days long past when there were a few games available on NES AND Genesis, but we'd later find out about Nintendo strong arming the developers,  Highly recommending they only publish on NES,  lest they run into "chip shortages" around Christmas!

I really like that you can order just the ROMs too!   May have to grab them...And cheap enough to get all 3 versions!   (WOOHOO!)

PS I think I'll end up with it on Evercade too!  :)

• Like 1

As of a month ago, the SNES version of Eyra wasn't quite ready. At least not in cart form.

Three more games played over the weekend...

Mickey and Donald World of Illusion (Genesis)

Fishing Derby (2600)

Frogger (2600)

And I don't know if this counts...

Coconuts (a 2600 game playing on a 7800... Is this game broken? The monkey kept freezing)

• Like 1