IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

Yikes! Stay safe my friend!

Well, I was just joking about that being a fire, I figured it was just the way the sun was hitting the clouds.  But maybe that is a big fire in the background, in which case that would really suck, and I hope the buildings are not in any imminent danger!

Ugh, did a quick search and found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/03/forest-fires-in-chile-cause-multiple-deaths-and-widespread-destruction

..Al

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Well, I was just joking about that being a fire, I figured it was just the way the sun was hitting the clouds.  But maybe that is a big fire in the background, in which case that would really suck, and I hope the buildings are not in any imminent danger!

Ugh, did a quick search and found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/03/forest-fires-in-chile-cause-multiple-deaths-and-widespread-destruction

Yeah, it's a pretty serious situation there right now.

Hi!

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yikes! Stay safe my friend!

Thank you!

I have the luck of living near the beach and in the more developed areas - so we are somewhat more protected from the current fires. But the emergency alarms in the mobile phones are constantly ringing.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Sadly, we are getting used to the forest fires in the summer, but this one has been extremely big, and got into the city into an industrial zone and a few populated areas - it has been really bad. A combination of a rainy winter plus now a few extremely hot and windy days.

Have Fun!

8 minutes ago, dmsc said:

I have the luck of living near the beach and in the more developed areas - so we are somewhat more protected from the current fires.

That's fortunate.

29 minutes ago, dmsc said:

But the emergency alarms in the mobile phones are constantly ringing.

I can imagine.

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, I was just joking about that being a fire, I figured it was just the way the sun was hitting the clouds.

..Al

Me too, I had no idea it was a picture of an ongoing natural disaster! We were struck with a 5.1 magnitude earth quake in my area last night, I am about 50 miles from the epicenter. Fortunately there was no damage near me, I just felt like I had just tossed a coin into a vibrating bed for a few minutes (It struck at around 11:30 PM just after I had gone to bed).

11 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Old River Mill. 85 colors.

I'd hoped this would come out better, but after dozens of attempts this is the best. Certainly not my best work, but after the time put into it I decided not to just discard it.

OldRiverMill.png.93758331e84af7b9bd68b293339c8c3d.png GS_OldRiverMill.xex 22.03 kB · 12 downloads

Wifes' parents were married here and lived nearby, We have this on our wall and have the painting as well. Changed very little over the years. You want the picture from a nearby vineyard and wine label?fallsmillprint2.thumb.jpg.455d37945f2d5e8e0ef81f9fc61d86f9.jpgfallsmillprint1.thumb.jpg.e693e63ad9eeb5583b63861f1952e12e.jpgfallsmillpaintingcanvas.thumb.jpg.bb5f0fa43745219c5c6de182460068fe.jpgfallsmillpaintingcanvasb.thumb.jpg.816b60b241e3f328b659f1e782fbfb15.jpgfallsmillwinebottle.thumb.jpg.d14f64c0c68a746a41aac785db46d1c1.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Wifes' parents were married here and lived nearby, We have this on our wall and have the painting as well. Changed very little over the years. You want the picture from a nearby vineyard and wine label?fallsmillprint2.thumb.jpg.455d37945f2d5e8e0ef81f9fc61d86f9.jpgfallsmillprint1.thumb.jpg.e693e63ad9eeb5583b63861f1952e12e.jpgfallsmillpaintingcanvas.thumb.jpg.bb5f0fa43745219c5c6de182460068fe.jpgfallsmillpaintingcanvasb.thumb.jpg.816b60b241e3f328b659f1e782fbfb15.jpgfallsmillwinebottle.thumb.jpg.d14f64c0c68a746a41aac785db46d1c1.jpg

Wild! Sure give me the pictures of the vineyard, etc. This is exactly the type of subject matter that my grandfather loved to paint. He would have done it with pastels or water colors.

• Like 3

>>"I mistrust consensus, because generally speaking, most stupid people like to agree with a majority."- Nolan Bushnell  <<

That's not a consensus. Consensus is when everyone agrees. Consensus is when minority opinions are respected.

Nolan Bushnell is talking about democracy or compromise.

In the words of DT:
"I chose this life. This superficial lie. Constant compromise. Endless sacrifice." - John Petrucci

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

>>"I mistrust consensus, because generally speaking, most stupid people like to agree with a majority."- Nolan Bushnell  <<

That's not a consensus. Consensus is when everyone agrees. Consensus is when minority opinions are respected.

Nolan Bushnell is talking about democracy or compromise.

In the words of DT:
"I chose this life. This superficial lie. Constant compromise. Endless sacrifice." - John Petrucci

It's a direct quote of Nolan, if you have an issue with his quote, correct him, not me. But I will patronize you with a reply to your view on Nolan's quote. 

I'm not going to "edit" his quote, as it's not my place as I'm quoting, him not presenting my own statement of belief or ideology. And I know what he meant, regardless of proper use of the English language or not, and I agree with what he meant, which is why I present it here.

But did you confer with Nolan and he told you that is what he is talking about? Otherwise that's pretty presumptuous and arrogant to say you know what he was talking about. Also, if everyone agrees and come to a consensus, then there are NO minority opinions to be respected according to your own logic here.

If you walk into a room as a person who is the leader of a group, but came late, telling them to start without you, and know what they would have been discussing, and that everyone present came to a consensus and you ask "so what is the consensus?" that would be a grammatically correct statement even though not everyone was there (the group was missing you and possibly others could have been absent too). But it was only the majority of the group came to a consensus, as not everyone who belongs to that group was present at the time of consensus.

I certainly see nothing about the quote at all that infers democracy or compromise. There can be a majority agreement on something and have nothing at all to do with democracy or compromise. The word "majority" can be used in many instances that have nothing to do with voting or even people, to assume that is ridiculous on it's face. For example, "scientific consensus says the majority of insects in the world are still undiscovered species." -There nothing to do with democracy or compromise or even people..

I believe Nolan was referring to corporate discussion surrounding ideas and decisions. And a corporation is most definitely not democratic. And corporations don't have to compromise based on employee group discussion and consensus, final decisions are left up to those who own the company, or the person(s) they put in charge, like a CEO, regardless if they accept input and discuss with employees first.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

It's a direct quote of Nolan, if you have an issue with his quote, correct him, not me. But I will patronize you with a reply to your view on Nolan's quote. 

I'm not going to "edit" his quote, as it's not my place as I'm quoting, him not presenting my own statement of belief or ideology. And I know what he meant, regardless of proper use of the English language or not, and I agree with what he meant, which is why I present it here.

But did you confer with Nolan and he told you that is what he is talking about? Otherwise that's pretty presumptuous and arrogant to say you know what he was talking about. Also, if everyone agrees and come to a consensus, then there are NO minority opinions to be respected according to your own logic here.

If you walk into a room as a person who is the leader of a group, but came late, telling them to start without you, and know what they would have been discussing, and that everyone present came to a consensus and you ask "so what is the consensus?" that would be a grammatically correct statement even though not everyone was there (the group was missing you and possibly others could have been absent too). But it was only the majority of the group came to a consensus, as not everyone who belongs to that group was present at the time of consensus.

I certainly see nothing about the quote at all that infers democracy or compromise. There can be a majority agreement on something and have nothing at all to do with democracy or compromise. The word "majority" can be used in many instances that have nothing to do with voting or even people, to assume that is ridiculous on it's face. For example, "scientific consensus says the majority of insects in the world are still undiscovered species." -There nothing to do with democracy or compromise or even people..

I believe Nolan was referring to corporate discussion surrounding ideas and decisions. And a corporation is most definitely not democratic. And corporations don't have to compromise based on employee group discussion and consensus, final decisions are left up to those who own the company, or the person(s) they put in charge, like a CEO, regardless if they accept input and discuss with employees first.

Nolan's critique is a critique of democracy, similar as in the movie Idiocracy?

4 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Nolan's critique is a critique of democracy, similar as in the movie Idiocracy?

Prove to me that is what he was referring to. Where did you read or hear him say or write that he was talking about democracy. Because he is a U.S. citizen for one, and the United States is not a democracy, it is a REPUBLIC. Go learn the difference.

It's a REPUBLIC that still respects the minority's opinion, NOT a Democracy which steam rolls the minority, which is why our incredibly intelligent founding fathers specifically chose to be a Republic and not a Democracy. A Democracy is where the minority could actually get their way despite a majority vote, but that is political science and politics are not allowed here. A Republic actually respects the minority while still insuring the minority doesn't end up controlling the majority. But that is far to complicated to explain in a reply here.

I don't believe you truly understand what either means or the consequences of an open democracy compared to a republic. I thank God the U.S. is a Republic and not a democracy. But I'm not going to explain the deep truth about both forms of government to you, there are plenty of sources for you to learn for yourself as you obviously wouldn't take my word for it anyway. People that think the U.S. is a democracy are very ignorant or very stupid people.

If you are still feel the need to reply because you are a masochist, then please PM me were we can debate/argue this all further and I will be happy to oblige you, but let's not continue to derail this thread. I could teach you the actual politics of a democracy then too, which you clearly have a false concept about. I can also help you out with English too, of which I have a college degree.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

@Atari8man2004 Great images.  How are you getting the dithering so symmetrical and pronounced?

Hello,

I look for images that I think would convert nicely I also check the image with all the different dithering options and then go with the best one.  Also the backround of the image plays a big part on a good conversion. I had many conversion that converted very bad due to many shadows in the backround.  I'm still learning how to use the options of Rasta Converter. One more thing computer generated art converts real good with dithering.  Also you can remove the backround and change it with a new one this can make a conversion look great . I use this free service - https://www.remove.bg/

Edited by Atari8man2004
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2