IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

9 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Tutankhamun 

Colors : 35                                                                          Rocks ona CRT monitor.

Atari8man_Tutankhamun.png

Atari8man_Tutankhamun.xex 22.04 kB · 12 downloads

Just a constructive comment and in no way a criticism (as you know I think your conversions are amazing ;) ). With this source image it looks like perhaps the orignal image was taken and when resized, it was stretched horizintally slightly.

Where I have a source image like this which is effectively going to be stretched horizontally when resized to 320x240, I tend to add, say, more black either side in pre processing and recrop then resize it, so it doesn't suffer from being stretched.

As I say amazing conversion. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Just a constructive comment and in no way a criticism (as you know I think your conversions are amazing ;) ). With this source image it looks like perhaps the orignal image was taken and when resized, it was stretched horizintally slightly.

Where I have a source image like this which is effectively going to be stretched horizontally when resized to 320x240, I tend to add, say, more black either side in pre processing and recrop then resize it, so it doesn't suffer from being stretched.

As I say amazing conversion. :)

I need to work with that technique I had some other pictures like the "2 tone cat" looked a bit  squashed.  Thanks for this info. BTW IRFANVIEW GRAPHIC VIEWER is awesome !

Edited by Atari8man2004
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I need to work with that technique I had some other pictures like the "2 tone cat" looked a bit  squashed.  Thanks for this info. BTW IRFANVIEW GRAPHIC VIEWER is awesome !

cool.

yup, i've been using irfanview for 15years+. It's my go to. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Tutankhamun 

Colors : 35                                                                          Rocks ona CRT monitor.

Atari8man_Tutankhamun.png

Atari8man_Tutankhamun.xex 22.04 kB · 12 downloads

Amiga 500/600 HAM level?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

Is there an up to date version of Rasta?
Is the real resolution of Atari  178x240?
Not as people said in the past 160x240?

not sure about screen res, but the last RC version uploaded was here in July 2022:

https://g2f.atari8.info/rc.7z

Although this is based on Beta7 from 2017.

Main Graph2font page this link sits on: https://g2f.atari8.info/

54 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

Is there an up to date version of Rasta?
Is the real resolution of Atari  178x240?
Not as people said in the past 160x240?

The Atari has modes which increase or decrease the standard horizontal resolution by 20% (by increasing or decreasing the horizontal width of the field in which graphics are displayed, not by narrowing or widening the pixels) which would for example give modes of 192 or 128 pixels wide rather than the standard 160 pixel mode, or 48 or 32 characters wide rather than the standard 40 characters.  See the Altirra Hardware Manual or De Re Atari for details.

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

The Atari has modes which increase or decrease the standard horizontal resolution by 20% (by increasing or decreasing the horizontal width of the field in which graphics are displayed, not by narrowing or widening the pixels) which would for example give modes of 192 or 128 pixels wide rather than the standard 160 pixel mode, or 48 or 32 characters wide rather than the standard 40 characters.  See the Altirra Hardware Manual or De Re Atari for details.

unfortunately 192 / 384px per line is just Atari's b/s marketing. The real result is 352px (or 356px thanks to Mono) in Hires per line and half of that in 4 color modes.

They never made such claims in marketing - they went the other way and just said 320x192 which is only what the OS supports.

The reality is 352 hires pixels though a realistic figure on a 4:3 CRT is around 336 which is equivalent to 1 extra character either side (though plenty of TVs cut the left portion off a stock display)

Regardless, at least we had that extra control - most computers of the era had a fixed screen architecture and had to resort to tricks and exploits just to expand on that.

• Like 3

"The program displays several high-resolution images measuring 356 pixels wide and 240 pixels high. For the first time in the history of 8bit Atari, 4 additional "junk" pixels on the right side of the screen were used."

displays several high-resolution images measuring 356 pixels wide and 240 pixels high. For the first time in the history of 8bit Atari, 4 additional "junk" pixels on the right side of the screen were used.The program displays several high-resolution images measuring 356 pixels wide and 240 pixels high. For the first time in the history of 8bit Atari, 4 additional "junk" pixels on the right side of the screen were used.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cyprian said:

The real result is 352px (or 356px thanks to Mono) in Hires per line and half of that in 4 color modes.

On a real Atari, this is true- the details of why are described in the Altirra Hardware Reference manual.

Wide/extended height playfields were never part of Atari's marketing, I don't think.

RastaSlide 4.2.zipRastaSlide 4.2 - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker and Tools

Changes in version 4.2
- Reduced Colour Mapping Tool mapping failures by checking deeper upcoming changes @MrFish
- Fixed truncated slide name display when using many International characters 
- Fixed corruption on RastaConverter pics extracted from pre-version 4 slide shows
- Fixed slide names containing full stops not being recognised 
- Fixed ini problems when re-adding very sparse over-optimized extracted pictures
- Added support for Windows shortcuts when adding slides
- RastaConverter pics can now be directly extracted from slide files
- Changed to zopfli 1.03 as some pictures taking abnormally long compressing
- Higher default compression settings in zoplfi.ini file --i900 instead of --i150

sheddy_aqua_the_boo_buddy_fish.png

sheddy_aqua_the_boo_buddy_fish.xex

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I was shocked to see how well King Tut looked on a CRT.  I'm trying to  imagine walking into a Pc store in 1984 and seeing Tut display on the XL.

It would have been a game changer for sure!  I remember being amazed at some images from Steve Dong, just using some simple DLI changes for backgrounds.  Wouldn't have been much fun downloading each 23kB image at 300 baud, and only being able to store 3 per disk!

• Like 4

Hello Stephen, guys

42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wouldn't have been much fun downloading each 23kB image at 300 baud, and only being able to store 3 per disk!

Three on one side and three on the other!  Downloading them at 300 baud wouldn't have been much fun, but loading them at 600 baud and hoping the 1010, XC11 or XC12 would load them in one go without any errors would be an adventure in and by itself.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2