IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Hi!

On 4/8/2024 at 3:11 AM, GravityWorm said:

New version crashes 20% the time. Some memory fault. Something like segmentation fault or memory access violation

Just now I had a look at this. Confirmed the problem, I suspect that the reason it works in windows is that it depends on the order of initialization if the crash will occur or not.

I did a pull request with the fix at https://github.com/ilmenit/RastaConverter/pull/7 , also attached is the fixes sources.

Have Fun!

RastaConverter-fix-segfault.tar.xz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, dmsc said:

Hi!

Just now I had a look at this. Confirmed the problem, I suspect that the reason it works in windows is that it depends on the order of initialization if the crash will occur or not.

I did a pull request with the fix at https://github.com/ilmenit/RastaConverter/pull/7 , also attached is the fixes sources.

Have Fun!

RastaConverter-fix-segfault.tar.xz 631.29 kB · 1 download

@drpeter, we did it!

RCGUI.exe high core processor fix

Arsoft made the nice GUI front end for RastaConverter Windows users many years ago, but no longer has the source code. 

The attached is a fixed version though which you can copy into your RastaConverter folder to replace the existing one if you have the problem. 

Thanks to @Stephen and my brother Ben who knew the .net/vb.net/c# to make it work again after messy decompile due to no source code

RCGUI.zip

Edited by Sheddy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Sheddy said:

Arsoft made the nice GUI front end for RastaConverter Windows users many years ago, but no longer has the source code. 

The attached is a fixed version though which you can copy into your RastaConverter folder to replace the existing one if you have the problem. 

Thanks to @Stephen and my brother Ben who knew the .net/vb.net/c# to make it work again after messy decompile due to no source code

RCGUI.zip 250.96 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks Sheddy. I may have missed it but what does the patched version fix?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheddy said:

RCGUI.zip 250.96 kB · 1 download

He calls himself Larkadiusz, AR Soft is his company. I know because I played his game Laura (on emulator, Atari800)... A difficult game! And I finished Dune 2 (PC VGA) with no dead soldiers! So i can tell what a difficult game is!

Edited by GravityWorm

2 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

He calls himself Larkadiusz, AR Soft is his company. I know because I played his game Laura (on emulator, Atari800)... A difficult game! And I finished Dune 2 (PC VGA) with no dead soldiers! So i can tell what a difficult game is!

Yep, that's him. He has done tons of Atari stuff over the years. Laura is really good, but I admit I didn't play much.

@BeeblebroxThe problem that the new version fixes is if you have a processor with more than 16 cores, (which more and more processors are doing these days of course). It errors when you run the GUI and you can't get more than 16 cores working on the conversion. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheddy said:
3 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Yep, that's him. He has done tons of Atari stuff over the years. Laura is really good, but I admit I didn't play much.

I got stuck. :) And deleted my save games. And found video solution. And now I remember that game. :)

7 hours ago, Sheddy said:

RCGUI.zip 250.96 kB · 2 downloads

Just a heads up - on my system (core i9) - running with > 20 threads causes the Rasta convertor to immediately crash.  This is not related to the RCGUI front end, but the actual convertor.  That being said, when I run 20 threads, I'm seeing peaks of over 300,000 iterations per second!  This ill be fun.

EDIT:
I'm running my 1st conversion at 20 threads.  I am not sure if it is because I am now using dithering, and a high number of solutions (8192) but the rate counter is fluctuating between 50 and 78 thousand per second now, not 300 thousand.  What settings affect the speed of conversion?

I don't know why the converter may crash with more threads unfortunately. Didn't touch that code. Wonder if beta7 has the same trouble?

The speed could depend on caching the solutions for scan lines. I've noticed things often start slow with large number of solutions selected but things speed up as they "converge" more. That's only an observation  as I don't really understand the hill climbing algorithms or caching parts of the program myself (yet! Maybe one day I'll get there)

Maybe it doesn't like a mix of P cores and E cores. intel thread director could highlight something

It's only a 32 bit program (couldn't make a 64 bit build) possibly some windows 32 bit restriction. Can't say I've seen it use loads of memory though 

Edited by Sheddy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sheddy said:
9 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Yep, that's him. He has done ons of Atari stuff over the years. Laura is really good, but I admit I didn't play much.

Tried this? One of my favorite lately...

https://www.atarimania.com/8bit/screens/the_children_8.gif

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sheddy said:

I don't know why the converter may crash with more threads unfortunately. Didn't touch that code. Wonder if beta7 has the same trouble?

The speed could depend on caching the solutions for scan lines. I've noticed things often start slow with large number of solutions selected but things speed up as they "converge" more. That's only an observation  as I don't really understand the hill climbing algorithms or caching parts of the program myself (yet! Maybe one day I'll get there)

Maybe it doesn't like a mix of P cores and E cores. intel thread director could highlight something

It's only a 32 bit program (couldn't make a 64 bit build) possibly some windows 32 bit restriction. Can't say I've seen it use loads of memory though 

OK, it is running out of memory with that many cores (threads). I was able to recreate it by specifying 32 threads on the command line

32-bit Windows programs can usually only use 2GB and task manager showed it going up to about this before RastaConverter died.

Have just learned there is a compiler/linker option which allows 4GB though: /LARGEADDRESSAWARE

@Stephen The 32 thread test worked after compiling Beta8 with that option and I've attached it here if anyone wants to try it.

RastaConverter.exe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, snicklin said:

How are people getting rates like 300,000 per second? I have a PC with an i9 processor, 10 core, 20 threads, up to 5ghz and only get around 10 to 15000 per second.

Lol my fastest device is a teen or almost a teen years old...

38 minutes ago, snicklin said:

How are people getting rates like 300,000 per second? I have a PC with an i9 processor, 10 core, 20 threads, up to 5ghz and only get around 10 to 15000 per second.

Remember the rc settings have a major bearing. So yuv is faster than cie, dithering slows it down. I tend to just use yuv settings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, snicklin said:

If you check the title bar of my "progress" pics you'll see the options I use.  Always YUV for the colour mapping.  I run 8192 solutions (don't even know why I do this, but it seems to be working pretty good).  I did notice yesterday that the rate was pretty low until the first 700 million or so but then it greatly started speeding up.

14 hours ago, Sheddy said:

OK, it is running out of memory with that many cores (threads). I was able to recreate it by specifying 32 threads on the command line

32-bit Windows programs can usually only use 2GB and task manager showed it going up to about this before RastaConverter died.

Have just learned there is a compiler/linker option which allows 4GB though: /LARGEADDRESSAWARE

@Stephen The 32 thread test worked after compiling Beta8 with that option and I've attached it here if anyone wants to try it.

RastaConverter.exe 667.5 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks!  Works perfectly and this finally pushed the machine.  Before even at 20 threads it seemed to only use 47% of CPU.  Now it slams it to 100%.  I was seeing rates fluctuate between 300,000 and 340,000!

24Threads.thumb.jpg.1a5865fd8a626052ac0d32f5c3774248.jpg

• Like 2

How are your temps going though?  I've got an i5-14600KF (6P,8E cores), air cooled and it fairly easily hits 100C doing Handbrake AV1 video conversions set to use 5 cores (10 LPs)

Though the modern CPUs are designed to operate that way, just throttling down once TjMax is hit.

6 minutes ago, Rybags said:

How are your temps going though?  I've got an i5-14600KF (6P,8E cores), air cooled and it fairly easily hits 100C doing Handbrake AV1 video conversions set to use 5 cores (10 LPs)

Though the modern CPUs are designed to operate that way, just throttling down once TjMax is hit.

I only ran it for a few seconds.  I'm sure it will not be nice to sit next to.  I do have a large water cooler with 3 fans on the radiator.  Flight Simulator is the most demanding thing I have ran on the system, and I think the temps hover around 85C and my 3070 vid card around 70 to 75C.  I don't believe I've ever had the system throttle down due to heat, but even those temps are extreme to me.  The last system I had which was water cooled never got more than 10 degrees above ambient.

• Like 1

In the early 2000s we'd generally get CPU temp from a sensor on the motherboard under the CPU itself - these will generally read well under what the core based sensors return so hitting high 80s and beyond isn't really a problem with newer CPUs.  The good thing about modern CPUs is that (unless you override with BIOS settings) they will throttle automatically once temperatures become a danger.

You can also notice a core sensor reading will go up and down rapidly in accordance to load where the motherboard based ones had a lot more lag.

For a CPU with lots of cores you could find a sweet spot - likely running 60-75% # of threads vs logical cores available would get a lot done without too much heat or making everything else sluggish.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Thanks!  Works perfectly and this finally pushed the machine.  Before even at 20 threads it seemed to only use 47% of CPU.  Now it slams it to 100%.  I was seeing rates fluctuate between 300,000 and 340,000!

Meanwhile, I plod along with my trusty 11-year-old Sony Vaio Duo 13 with i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2295 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors. At ~10-20,000 solutions/second 😬 😄

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1