IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

Sorry, I haven't managed to do anything on the project since the last progress report in early July :(. I'll be focusing on this and Mars Minis in the next few weeks.

Thank you for the update GroovyBee. Don't worry, we know you are a busy bee :)

Cheers and good luck!

By the way: What do you people think about a HSC-Challenge when the game is done? I dont mean a round in the HSC-Challenge from cparsley, just a fun challenge to get motivation for playing the game.

Dan Iacovelli created a homebrew only competition for Atari 2600. It doesn't happen in the HSC forum because players wanted to avoid confusion. It is in the main Atari 2600 forum.

I would like to see something like this. A homebrew only competition for Intellivision. Each game taking a month?

We could start the homebrew games and play them now. When Rocketeer is finished, it's Rocketeer's time!

If we play for a month, it's good to have two games at once. Thus avoiding letting many players who don't have the game out.

August (Minehunter/Match 5); September(DIIK/Stonix); October(Rocketeer/Space Patrol) etc... Just some ideas.

I'm in for a homebrew only or something very different from the already running HSC. A multiplatform? Play Popeye in Inty, Atari, Coleco; Frogger, Dk...?

I wouldn't like to create another tourney similar to the one we already have.

But I always thought this is a good idea: http://www.retrocade...wforum.php?f=52

http://www.retrocade...wforum.php?f=53

A permanent place to submit your better score.

Sorry for streching and beeing off-topic. I know you didn't mean to create another big tourney...

By the way: What do you people think about a HSC-Challenge when the game is done? I dont mean a round in the HSC-Challenge from cparsley, just a fun challenge to get motivation for playing the game.

With patches!? I want to win patches. They seem to be the right amount of motivation for me to play non-stop for a month ;-) 20-30 total patches seems to be a good number too...achievable, but not easy.

With patches!? I want to win patches. They seem to be the right amount of motivation for me to play non-stop for a month ;-) 20-30 total patches seems to be a good number too...achievable, but not easy.

I agree with the patches ... dunno why I like them, but I really do. And I agree with making a limited number available ... means more when you've earned it!

Looking forward to playing the game!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, nothing new to report on Rocketeer since last time. I did put the new title page tune and the sound effects player into Mars Minis over the weekend. I'll be reviewing the code for Rocketeer this week to finalise its to do list and then working on both games.

• 2 weeks later...

Hover Bovver was started BEFORE Rocketeer, and I have paid a LOT more than you have, so I have to disagree with you.

And I have to disagree with you.

If Groovy spread himself too thin for your enterprise's plans, then that's your problem, and you have a grievance with him.

That does not in anyway make our complain or request any less valid. We already paid for some products, and we believe that this should be honored in good faith.

Groovy, if you're around, we love you bro', and we support all your efforts; but please throw us a bone, man. Finish something. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

If he spread himself too thin, and took money for your game, that's YOUR problem.

Exactly, it is our problem, which is why some of us post these complaints. We are customers, and some of us think it is appropriate for us to ask Groovy for an update or to respectfully pressure him into delivering.

On the other hand, it is not becoming of a professional enterprise to bitch about the same in public.

Moreover, Groovy asked for money in this forum, so it is appropriate for us that paid him to post here about it. Your contract with him, on the other hand, was a private matter between you and him.

As to which project has priority? Well, in my opinion it is not which started first--for the people in this thread it most likely is Rocketeer, precisely for the reasons I mentioned above. It is unprofessional for you to come in and argue with us about it, so please stop.

We just want Groovy to finish the games we paid for, and since this is the thread where they were announced, I believe it is appropriate. If you want to go start your own thread to complain about your programmer's timeliness, go ahead.

dZ.

• Like 2

This topic just got fun!

I must agree with DZ on a couple of items. First, by taking on money up front, Groovy has put himself in a situation in which he needs to deliver on a product to the public. I'm patient and, honestly, the money isn't a big deal for me so I can afford to sit back and wait. I can understand if others are growing impatient. Making customers wait for something they paid for isn't good for future business (although with our fanatical base, I don't think that he'll see future problems!).

And, William, from a business standpoint, it's probably not a good idea to thrust your complaints into a public forum. The only thing that you can do is alienate yourself from your customers in this situation. It does NO good to potentially offend someone who may be a current or future customer. If you are concerned about the timing of the game, go to Groovy. Using the forum to argue about it does you no good (other than blowing off some steam).

Just my .02 ... which is probably worth less than that.

By the way, I paid two Groovy games, not just Rocketeer :ponder:

I dont have a problem to wait for Rocketeer, but I guess it was a mistake to announce the release date. Its not my first homebrew and sometimes there are YEARS between the payment and the release. Its not the best solution, but its okay. In this case Groovy announced the release and it delays, so some customers get impatient. Its understandable and yes, it was a mistake from Groovy to announce a release he cant keep. Its definitely better to make no announcement for the release date until you know exactly when the game is ready for shipping. Just remember the other game. Mars Mini Games, its paid and there are no questions, because no release date was announced.

But I dont want to charge Groovy for that, mistakes happen sometimes. Lets forget the old release date and say its TBA.

My two Cent which game should come first: Definitely Rocketeer, because it was paid earlier. I dont care when it comes, but as a customer I would dislike a release after Hover Bovver. I dont care if Elektronite paid more and earlier, because for me its a huge difference between buying a game as a customer, or paying a developer as a business which sells videogames. Finally WE CUSTOMERS buy the game from Elektronite, so its a bit strange to read here that Elektronite is more important than its customers.

• Like 1