IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

Unfortunately multiplexing sprites can look quite bad on Inty, mainly due to its fixed palette of harsh colours that you cannot change the luminance of. It all depends on the colour(s) you use and the background they are moving over and whether its running on a PAL or NTSC machine.

Yes, that's true. Now, I think of it Intellivision have more feature for sprites regard different sizes it can be. There probably be less multiplexing on the Intellivision. I'll see once I dive into it.

intvnut explained a neat approach to bounding box collision here :-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/169112-intellivision-homebrew-mystery-castle/?p=2094955

Although I'm not sure how well that will translate into IntyBASIC. However, I'm sure one of us assembler types could make a small "library" routine, for your IntyBASIC project to call, in order to speed things up for you should you want to go down that route.

Intybasic have sprite hardware collusion. Based what I tested with IntyBASIC it should be capable to handle this game.

Edited by Kiwi

Intybasic have sprite hardware collusion. Based what I tested with IntyBASIC it should be capable to handle this game.

Pssst! I think you mean collision. Although there have been some games where I could swear that the hardware has colluded with the sprites to make my life miserable (I'm looking at you, Ice Trek!) :lol:

Hopefully, this is the final version of the game's intro sequence :-

attachicon.gifRocketeer_game_intro_06_07_14.gif <---- Click to animate

Progress has been pretty slow the last few weeks, due to real life getting in the way. The game's "new ship" FMV style animation sequence is up on the blocks next.

Looks stunning, i so want to play it now!

• Like 1

It's hard to fully appreciate the Mystery Musician's contribution when all we have to look at is a silent gif animation...

Is there a YouTube clip of rocketeer anywhere? I dont recall....

You can hear the game's title music in the Bee3 demo and see the game in action here :-

Mystery Musician is also responsible for Rocketeer's game over music and player death tune too. As well as the Mars Minis title page music, the Caverns music and the Next Street title page music :-

And lets not forget the Hover Bovver title page, intermission and game over music either :-

• Like 4

I think I have prooven my patience so far and I still do not want to rant, but is there finally a rough estimation for the release? I do understand that many problems may appear during the development and I also accept the fact that the job is done by a very small team, which does the work in its free time, but I also notice that its an Inty game and not new RPG for the PS4.

To get to the point: Do we get the game in 2014, yes or no?

• Like 2

I dont think there is nothing wrong with respectfully asking for an estimated release date. After all, it has obviously been a while since the original pre orders were taken. There is no escaping this fact................... I myself could do with out all the negative inuendo that is creeping into the Intv forums, I myself am probably guilty of this LOL .......maybe the snide remarks are better than an all-out curse and scream fest....lets all get along!.... carry on! /rant

So, that being said, I am looking forward to this, and many more games from Groovybee. Is there an estimated date? Thanks.

Edited by revolutionika

@ boxpressed

If that happens you just have to ask again, and again, and again ;) But to be honest, I think we heard often enough about how great Groovy his, how awesome this game will be and how nice it looks. I am a little bit shocked, that we see the "maybe" final intro about 15 months after the initial release date.

Dont get me wrong, I wont be lumped together with all the hate-boys, but I also want to isolate myself from the fanboys. If I get my game and think its awesome I also say "well done, give me more", but until then I dont see any reason to flatter GB. There is no question that he is a talented programmer, but thats not everything to satisfy customers at all. Lets be realistic: Its a simple arcade game, which copies an well known gameplay 1:1. For such a game the development time is much too long.

As someone who took 18 months to complete an Intellivision game, I can attest to the fact that the little details that turn a game from a "simple arcade game, which copies well known gameplay" into an enjoyable experience, take longer than making the game itself. As most of you already know, Christmas Carol's game mechanics and basic look-and-feel were done and released in a little over a week, yet it still took almost 20 months to complete.

Most of that time is spent competing between work, family, and hobby; the rest is sweating over the most exacting details of the experience to make it memorable. Smooth transitions, properly paced and shaped music and sound effects, full frame-rate animated scenes, accurate and intuitive disc controller for high-speed arcade game-play, animated and interactive menu screens, intuitive easy-to-learn and hard-to-master game mechanics, original storyline and personable characters, etc. Those things do not come for free.

That the result has been praised so high by the community (and voted "Best Game" twice, against very worthy competitors) proves that such effort indeed makes a difference.

I'm not a "fanboy," but I have seen and play-tested Rocketeer, and I know it's a good game. The new music and animated cut-scenes add even more life to it. Trust me, those are not the things that "a simple arcade game" typically has. Moreover, they are excruciatingly hard to do on the Intellivision.

Plus GroovyBee is not only making the games, he is designing and manufacturing his own cartridge PC board. This project is much, much bigger than any of us expected, including GroovyBee.

I think we can all agree (including GroovyBee) that taking pre-orders for this game was very premature and not such a good idea. (Personally, I won't participate in any other pre-order again.) Nonetheless, it was done and here we are. We could all pick up pitch-forks and torches and go after GroovyBee with scorn and contempt, or we could give him a chance to provide an even better game than we originally expected. Or, just as easily, we could ask for a refund and forget the whole thing.

I'm willing to wait because I believe GroovyBee will delivery a fantastic game; I've seen his work, and I understand and appreciate the reasons for the delays. I can also see that others may not have as much confidence on GroovyBee, and so may not wish to wait longer. However, I see no reason to continue with innuendo towards his work ethic, commercial scruples, or programming prowess.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 5

Oh dudes, I do not want explanations why it delays, I do not want to drop my ordern, I just want Groovy to answer my question. If there is any problem with that please contact me per PM.

@ Atari

No, its not nuff said because you take orders. Sorry dude, but there is no crime or wrong thing to want an answer over a year after the first release date.

@ Groovy

Instead of liking your protectors, could you please show the courage to answer my question? I am also fine with it if you like them and answer ;) Thanks.

Edit

@ Jay

I do respect that, but we need to keep in mind that he thought it could be released May 2013. As he is not complete new to make games he also knows that stuff so I really think he worked a little bit longer on that titles, at least I hope so. And since he took money already he has a different responsibility than you had.

Edited by Ignorama

Nuff said was intended for me, I can't and I won't tell others to shut up and I don't understand why you get so worked up over my post.

GroovyBee will have his reasons why it takes its time until release. And as I wasn't active on AtariAge at the time of ordering, I'm not even on the reservation list. But for me, every homebrew release is precious and when one takes longer than expected, then so be it. These guys aren't obliged to release anything at all and believe me, not one of them gets rich by giving us these games.

Maybe he has his reasons, but I honestly think that I and others deserve an answer. Its way too easy to hide behind your comments. I did not asked about a hard release date, I just asked if the game comes this year or not, a timeframe of more than FIVE month. I think its a fair and rightful question.

If you did not get a copy may ask Rev or Cmart via PM, as far as I know they overtook some droped orders and I could imagine that they would sell you one of this copies. At least asking is for free ;)

• Like 1

Even the farmer has to tell when the corn is harvested and the cow is slaughtered. Really guys, please stop to tell me things I am not asking for and let GB answer the simple question, I really dont get what the problem is.

Wasn't targeting you. Was actually commiserating with the rest of the fellas about development time. Don't hurt me! :)

@ Jay

I do respect that, but we need to keep in mind that he thought it could be released May 2013. As he is not complete new to make games he also knows that stuff so I really think he worked a little bit longer on that titles, at least I hope so. And since he took money already he has a different responsibility than you had.

Point taken. However, I believe GroovyBee already has taken the hit for missing the target date, so why dwell on it. I also believe he stated that there is currently no release date, that it'll be released when it's done and the PCB is ready, and that people are free to not accept this and ask for a refund.

What changed? That you waited more from the last time? Or are you asking him to respond with "no release date" yet again for the sake of keeping in touch?

I think the fact that he has provided progress reports with no new release date means there is none yet. It also means that he is still working on the games.

Really, I understand you are upset, so am I; but our expectations have been managed. The game missed it's release date, is still in progress, and does not have a release date yet. It's our choice to accept that situation or not.

Now, I ask you, would you think it more appropriate to PM GroovyBee directly to ask him personally for progress or to complain about the delay?

dZ.

Well okay, but I hope GB finds the time to answer my question after he liked all of your posts :lol:

Edit

@ Jay

Now, I ask you, would you think it more appropriate to PM GroovyBee directly to ask him personally for progress or to complain about the delay?

Its not a topic between me and him, its a topic between all sellers and him and so the question belongs to this thread, not to a private conversation. I also do not complain about the delay, I complain mostly about the behavior now to ignore my question and let you guys do his job of answering. And I can just repeat, I only asked if the game comes this year or not, I did not even asked for a month.

Edited by Ignorama

Instead of liking your protectors, could you please show the courage to answer my question? I am also fine with it if you like them and answer ;) Thanks.

:lol: I really don't need any protectors. I was just short on time when I dropped into AA earlier today, so answered PMs and skimmed a few threads.

The game will be released this year. When? Thats difficult to say precisely :(. The Bee3 needs quite a bit more testing to make sure it acts just like a normal cart. Which means playing a bunch of legacy games on it, as well as my own games and running automated test suites all while its hooked up to the logic analyser. All the testing is to make sure its rock solid and behaves exactly as it should in a variety of machines. I really don't want any hardware related issues when the first game is ready to go, because Rocketeer and Mars Minis will both be shipped on Bee3s. Unfortunately the kind of exhaustive testing I want to perform takes time, which is in short supply at the moment. As soon as Bee3 hardware testing is complete I'll be the happiest man in the the Inty forum.

I'm also extremely disappointed that the game hasn't come out sooner. Theres easily well over 500 hours of work gone into it so far (not including artist and musician time). You might say its a simple arcade game but there are 17 moving objects on screen, along with AI, logic, collision detection and sound effects. With everything active in the game, the frame rate never drops below 60 FPS. On the Inty, I think that is pretty good ;). Thats also one of the things I love about coding video games on old consoles. What looks simple on the outside might actually be quite complex on the inside and be burning a whole bunch of CPU cycles and performing neat programmer tricks to which the game player is completely oblivious - and thats exactly how it should be :D.

Hopefully, I'll be back to making weekly updates on game progress after this week. Don't worry, there is an end goal in sight, its just been way too slow getting there and I'm extremely grateful for people's support and patience along the way.

As I said earlier in the thread, if anybody wants a refund all they need to do is ask.

• Like 9