IGNORED

Mars mini games

Latest update :-

Revamped the menu and "Invaders" is now called "Menace" :-

post-21935-0-19141400-1370004295_thumb.gif <---- Click to animate

You use the disc to move up and down the menu (first half of the gifeo) and keypad buttons 1, 2 and 3 are used to change the difficulty between easy, medium and hard (second half of the gifeo). The side buttons select the game you want to play. Nonner is conjuring up some title page graphics so it won't be as plain looking as it is now.

Menace (as its now called) has had the player's score and lives added. It also has destroyable bunkers to hide behind :-

post-21935-0-12503200-1370004533_thumb.gif <---- Click to animate

I still haven't decided what the hoard of aliens will do to attack the player.

Still to do :-

- Add sound effects and music and a bit more speech.

- Balance out the games now that the difficulty can be changed.

- Allow the game to be restarted or return to the main menu when your avatar finally dies.

There is still plenty space for a 4th mini game so I'll make a decision on that soon.

Still to do :-

- Add sound effects and music and a bit more speech.

- Balance out the games now that the difficulty can be changed.

- Allow the game to be restarted or return to the main menu when your avatar finally dies.

There is still plenty space for a 4th mini game so I'll make a decision on that soon.

There's something missing in your To-Do list:

- Threaten the player somehow.

:lol: LOL!

Oh! Sorry. :)

No worries!

Looks cool!

Thanks for the compliment but once nonner gets hold of it then it'll probably look different and also be a vast improvement on my programmer art too.

By the way, I suppose the bunkers are MOBs. Are you XORing the bullet on the GRAM card on collision?

Bunkers are BACKTAB cards. The code uses the player missile's X and Y coordinates (in conjunction with a bitwise AND with 7) to determine the bunker and which part of it to start wiping out using a logical AND mask. I want to keep the rest of the MOBs free so that I can have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to beating up the player.

It would be cool if you created a campaign mode where you have to play bits of all games for an overall Mars mission. Kind of like Ice Trek or Scarfinger. Just a thought, to tie it all together.

I'm intending to have a stats page as part of the title sequence that will show your best distance travelled in Caverns, number of consecutive successful landings in Descent and the highest score in Menace.

I've added a teaser ROM to the first post. You can only play the mini game Caverns.

I'd say that the game's difficulty is probably pitched at medium/hard as it stands. The final game will have adjustable and increasing difficulty as you play. The final version will also have sound effects and music which are both lacking in this version.

Its a one button game so press your favourite one :lol: to apply thrust. Its also IntelliVoice enabled too.

I've tested it on PAL hardware and in the popular PC based emulators. Scrolling is very jerky in Nostalgia for some reason.

Any other problems or issues let me know.

• Like 1

Teaser rom first impressions:

Definitely a steep learning curve as it stands now. I finally got 137 points, but my average score is probably in the single digits. Seems learnable, though...

post-14916-0-41863300-1370220362_thumb.gif

The Intellivoice adds a nice touch to the game . You might think about having alternate readings of "Game Over" and cycling through them, since the player hears this so often... :D

For some reason the "Zombie Dance" part of "Thriller" popped into my head as a background track. Maybe something funky would fit. Just a thought....

So far so good. It's difficult, but fun...

• Like 1

Suggestion for fourth mini game. Since NASA has now found Rodents on Mars (http://beforeitsnews.com/beyond-science/2012/12/mars-rodent-photo-by-curiosity-rover-nasa-photo-no-photoshop-find-it-yourself-at-nasa-2440116.html), perhaps a version of the classic Rodent's Revenge with a mars theme like a lander probe instead of a cat.

of course, a nice simple Asteroids game would be nice.