IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

So there is no sound FX just all talking during the game? That's what I seen on you tube.

It has sound effects and background audio, that YouTube video is wrong. Check this one out instead to hear the audio (The game starts at 1:29... the silent early segment is the attract mode).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDp-iN59wLI

I hate when YouTubers stretch their videos to 16:9. Especially when they're 3:4 vertical arcade games.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Awesome ! Would that ingame speech even be possible ? I just watched a video that has the Title anouncement ... love it .

In-game speech is possible with the 2600. SpiceWare's Frantic (Berzerk/Frenzy) will speak during gameplay, of course helped along with the DPC+, but DPC+ is not a requirement. You do have to hit the volume Register anywhere from twice a scanline (good sound), including vertical blank & overscan, to every other scanline (scratchy sound).

If your game can't handle giving up time each scanline, you can play samples between screens.

I am sure the TIA of the 7800 is doing samples, but probably the 7800 has too much going on to give up that much scanline time.

It has sound effects and background audio, that YouTube video is wrong. Check this one out instead to hear the audio (The game starts at 1:29... the silent early segment is the attract mode).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDp-iN59wLII hate when YouTubers stretch their videos to 16:9. Especially when they're 3:4 vertical arcade games.

Thank you, i was going to link that for Jinks....:)

Thanks everyone!

@ZylonBane: Yes - that is exactly why - there are some screens where there are 10 enemies in one zone. That uses about 385 cycles, where the max is about 417. 320B mode would double that. :(

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas :)

I was hoping to have this completed by Christmas, but due to a hard drive crash (complete re-load) a demo will just have to do.

All of the enemies are here. This is my TODO list as it stands now:

- Warp Button

- Enemies that drop in certain waves

- Hidden bonuses

- Sound

- Speech

Enjoy! :)

Bob

AstBlstr.A78

AstBlstr.bin

• Like 6

Your demo is better than I would have ever expected a commercially released home port of this game to be back in the day. This is great. I've long wanted to see this game ported to a classic system from its era. Excellent work. It's going to be absolutely jaw dropping when you add the other stuff in. I can't wait for this one to make it to the store.

Awesome stuff as always (man, we already take it for granted:)).

One suggestion: All your games feature easy settings, but they are still way to hard for me. I guess my reflexes have really gone down the bin. I played AB now for about 30 times and never manage to get as far as stage 4 while on Mame I reach at least stage 10 or 11 at almost each game without using Warp... Also I could play Megamania virtually forever on the 2600 (have to try this again, maybe I suck on it as well nowdays:)). If I don't get shot I am running out of fuel all the time. Have mercy and do a teddy bear variation for all those who sucks on arcade games. I know, a game should be challenging, especially if they have just a few levels/screens, but it wouldn't hurt anyone if there would be an really easy setting.

I am not asking for the radical way like Blue Azure mods (nothing against him, but his mods are too boring for me). I would just be happy with a reduced fire rate of the enemies and a slower consumption of fuel.

For highscore hunters you could divide the points by 10 or whatever in easy mode, I wouldn't mind. I just would like to play the game to the end and not just get stranded with only seeing 15% of the game content. :)

Hope I haven't offended the hardcore arcade players :)