IGNORED

The homebrew flood ... good thing, right?

Fushek

I don't want to start anything either but i'm so not picky, i'd be happy if the games boxes were shoe boxes, cereal boxes, or just any cheap cardboard with the artwork printed on it. Look at those boxes Voltron made. Simple and artistic. Anything to drive down the costs. I know i'm usually in the minority with my thinking. :)

I am not opposed to doing Cart only releases for some games (like Old School) that don't probably rate a CIB treatment. I think that LTO Flash! will be a good way to deliver budget gaming to the platform.

I am not opposed to doing Cart only releases for some games (like Old School) that don't probably rate a CIB treatment.

You've said this more than once and I must admit I'm confused by this statement. To me this implies you don't think it's a good game? :( I love this game, so I was certainly happy to buy the 6 copies that I ended up purchasing.

I've said from day one how happy I was that you chose to go with very high quality boxes in particular, as well as nice manuals, overlays and Joe's excellent cart shells. I, for one, think all releases deserve the full CIB treatment, but if you have the option to go cart only after the initial run I certainly understand how this would be great for folks who don't really care about boxes and/or would prefer a more budget friendly release.

• Like 1

Those who don't like "homebrew" could like retroillucid mentioned call them "indie", or perhaps either "aftermarket" or "third party" games. However what would we call it if whoever holds the rights to the Intellivision would release new, compatible hardware and acquire the rights to include some newly developed game for the system? Those would not be homebrew, not indie, not third party and since the system would be commercially viable again not aftermarket... hm, "newbatch" games?

Those who don't like "homebrew" could like retroillucid mentioned call them "indie", or perhaps either "aftermarket" or "third party" games. However what would we call it if whoever holds the rights to the Intellivision would release new, compatible hardware and acquire the rights to include some newly developed game for the system? Those would not be homebrew, not indie, not third party and since the system would be commercially viable again not aftermarket... hm, "newbatch" games?

I think "homebrew" is more or less accepted terminology at this point, so it's unlikely to change even when the line between hobby/pro is more or less blurred/obliterated. It's like trying to go with "netcast" instead of "podcast" or any other example where there's probably a better way to describe something, but common usage overrules any realistic hope for change. At this point, "homebrew" refers to any aftermarket release, i.e., as soon as a system has officially stopped production and software is no longer being carried in mainstream retail outlets.

• Like 6

You've said this more than once and I must admit I'm confused by this statement. To me this implies you don't think it's a good game? :( I love this game, so I was certainly happy to buy the 6 copies that I ended up purchasing.

I've said from day one how happy I was that you chose to go with very high quality boxes in particular, as well as nice manuals, overlays and Joe's excellent cart shells. I, for one, think all releases deserve the full CIB treatment, but if you have the option to go cart only after the initial run I certainly understand how this would be great for folks who don't really care about boxes and/or would prefer a more budget friendly release.

How can you be confused? This might be a 'fun time hobby thing' for you but I personally was not willing to accept the risk of doing a CIB release. You inquired about giving me a 'loan' for the Old School box/manual/overlays. I didn't need a loan. I had enough credit to borrow the money. What I didn't have the ability to do was to LOSE that money.

Tim came along and offered to risk his money. Yup...if the upgrade kits and the first 50 CIB copies had not sold, he would have lost all of that money. I don't think you were willing to do the same. Tim didn't give me a 'loan' he bought the games and upgrade kits up front.

You might be surprised to learn that, actually, John DOESN'T like or think it is a good game. I felt differently and thought that it would be a good cart only release but NOT a 'CIB' release. I know that you would love to see boxes/manuals and overlays for every release but your money isn't at risk. I have to be much more careful. Another Paddle Party or Match 5 and I would have been out of business.

Match 5 is an excellent game. It was chosen one of the Top 10 new games of 2013 by Classic Game Room. I am very proud of that. But, everyone looks down their nose at it. Little consolation when I am paying the printing bills.

How can you be confused? This might be a 'fun time hobby thing' for you but I personally was not willing to accept the risk of doing a CIB release. You inquired about giving me a 'loan' for the Old School box/manual/overlays. I didn't need a loan. I had enough credit to borrow the money. What I didn't have the ability to do was to LOSE that money.

Tim came along and offered to risk his money. Yup...if the upgrade kits and the first 50 CIB copies had not sold, he would have lost all of that money. I don't think you were willing to do the same. Tim didn't give me a 'loan' he bought the games and upgrade kits up front.

You might be surprised to learn that, actually, John DOESN'T like or think it is a good game. I felt differently and thought that it would be a good cart only release but NOT a 'CIB' release. I know that you would love to see boxes/manuals and overlays for every release but your money isn't at risk. I have to be much more careful. Another Paddle Party or Match 5 and I would have been out of business.

Match 5 is an excellent game. It was chosen one of the Top 10 new games of 2013 by Classic Game Room. I am very proud of that. But, everyone looks down their nose at it. Little consolation when I am paying the printing bills.

First off, i think it is a given that ANY Intellivision game is guarenteed to sell at least 100 CIB games on its initial release. Reguardless of what kind of crappy game it is.

John Doherty thinks the game Old School is not a good game himself and he is the programmer? I would not of let little tidbit out to the public......

You seem a little harsh on Cmart, one of your biggest customers, and future executive producers/investors for boulder dash and (others?), and wholesale purchasers along with me.

Printer. No one cares about your 3 million dollar printer.... we get it...you are the best publisher and most professional....but please don't rub our faces in it.

Try being a little more humble, I promise, you will win the support of more people.

Thanks

• Like 1

I was expressing concern that maybe you didn't like the game which I really enjoy, and I was paying you a compliment on the excellent job you have done in putting these releases together.

Sadly I don't have any free time or I most certainly would have offered to do what Tim so graciously was able to do for those of us who are thrilled to see these new releases.

Is there too much brands of cereals?

No, you only buy the one you like, it's just a matter of personal taste :)

The problem is with this tight knit community is, we want all the games and just not pick and choose. But some of us just can't afford them all. It's like a gambling disease. It's nobody's fault and nobody to blame. We can't have it all, but we want it all. :-D

• Like 1

The problem is with this tight knit community is, we want all the games and just not pick and choose. But some of us just can't afford them all. It's like a gambling disease. It's nobody's fault and nobody to blame. We can't have it all, but we want it all. :-D

The thing I find peculiar, and I have witnessed this first-hand as a homebrew publisher, is that some people seem more excited about the release of high-quality homebrews for vintage consoles than they do for modern games on the current mainstream consoles. I guess there's something about an old-school cartridge in a box with a glossy manual that people find more attractive than a download on their smartphone. :)

• Like 6

The thing I find peculiar, and I have witnessed this first-hand as a homebrew publisher, is that some people seem more excited about the release of high-quality homebrews than they do for modern games on the current mainstream consoles. I guess there's something about an old-school cartridge in a box with a glossy manual that people find more attractive than a download on their smartphone. :)

I'm clearly one of those people :)

The question of whether the homebrew "flood" is a good thing is best answered with another question: "For whom?"

1. It's a boon for the collector who doesn't feel as though he or she has to own EVERY release (or two copies of every release).

2. Same goes for the collector who can afford to buy every title (and multiple copies of every title).

3. It's a mixed bag for the collector who has to own every title (or two copies of every title) and can't afford to buy them all.

4. Based on William's comments, it's a mixed bag for some companies who produce "homebrews" (I'll just use this word for simplicity's sake) because collectors don't have enough money to go around to make releasing certain games worthwhile.

We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if everyone were like the first type of collector. But the fact that we're not (and probably more like collector #3) is nobody's problem but our own, not the problem of those who are making these games. They're not selling food or electricity, after all.

It's not what I can afford, it's to what extend I want to allow someone to extort money from a hobby.

Charging extra for a low serial number is ridiculous.

• Like 1

You are right Rev. I really shouldn't talk to you.

Why would you not talk to me? Are you mad at me? Do you hold grudges? I think you should get what ever is bothering you off your chest. Dont worry. Im a big boy, you wont hurt my feelings.

For what its worth, I love the fact that you have a passion for Intv and love making games for it.

We all have things we can improve upon..... maybe me the most.

Thanks

The thing I find peculiar, and I have witnessed this first-hand as a homebrew publisher, is that some people seem more excited about the release of high-quality homebrews for vintage consoles than they do for modern games on the current mainstream consoles. I guess there's something about an old-school cartridge in a box with a glossy manual that people find more attractive than a download on their smartphone. :)

Something about the thousands of crappy smartphone games dumped on the market by developers attempting to profit off of micropayments might have something to do with it.

A new vintage console release is something completely different. Forget about the nostalgia factor for a moment. Typically for a developer to even bother creating a new release for a system like the Intellivision they have to care, it's simply not worth their time or effort otherwise. The dedication that so many people in the Intellivision community have in producing these new games is a treasure that we should all appreciate while it lasts.

• Like 4

totally off topic, but my son pitched to me at the ball field today and I got two home runs.

being a dad is so much fun.

Yah I could totally crush my son's pitches too. Mind you he's nine so his fastball is not that impressive. Chicks dig the longball. :)

• Like 1

Yah I could totally crush my son's pitches too. Mind you he's nine so his fastball is not that impressive. Chicks dig the longball. :)

Son is 10. He threw them for hitting out. Its was only around 225-250 feet and then hit some trees. First time I used a wood bat in 30+ years.