IGNORED

The homebrew flood ... good thing, right?

Fushek

What is the consensus on second hand sales of homebrew? I've read some opinions about that is "morally wrong" to resell limited edition homebrew games, although I can't imagine any publisher preventing that to happen, unlike some of the big companies on modern consoles who rather like to think they're renting out a license to play the game rather than selling a copy for you to deal with in any way you like. As long as there are no problems selling off the homebrew games that didn't turn out the way you imagined them, it is not any problem as long as you can find someone else willing to buy them, ideally at a reasonable price.

Where some people see the "morally wrong" issue only comes in when a home-brew publisher produces a limited run, someone swoops in and buys most/all of them, and then resells all of them later at price-gouging rates. This situation is somewhat similar to ticket scalpers for real-life sports arena games (just the scalpers who buy a huge number of tickets). Some publishers on this forum reduce the odds of this happening by only allowing individuals to buy X number of games.

Conversely, I'm not aware of anyone who thinks it is wrong to buy a only couple games and resell them on eBay later.

• Like 1

Does releasing the ROM after sales have stopped alleviate this problem?

I'd guess not when it comes to the Intellivision. And thanks once again to limited runs, most people do not have the ability to pop ROMS into a multicart like we can with other systems.

Besides, seems the Intellivision community is all about the boxes and overlays anyway. Might be a case where ROM releases hardly affect the value of boxed or physical sales.

I will extend a buy back program to include intellivision NON home brews as well! If anyone us not satisfied with there boxed spiker or mud buggies or those pesky child learning "fun" games, I will refund the original retail release price.

This just then kind of guy I am!

• Like 3

I will extend a buy back program to include intellivision NON home brews as well! If anyone us not satisfied with there boxed spiker or mud buggies or those pesky child learning "fun" games, I will refund the original retail release price.

Hey, I offer original retail release prices for these games WITH a free $10 Starbucks gift card. What a deal!

Sweet deal. I have an original Major League Baseball that retailed for $32.99. Please tell me how to send it to you for a full refund. I am sure I can dig up more titles.

I will even pay the shipping to you. This is just the kind of guy I am.

• Like 6

Sweet deal. I have an original Major League Baseball that retailed for $32.99. Please tell me how to send it to you for a full refund. I am sure I can dig up more titles.

Crap! I knew my plan wasn't fool proof.

Well I may of meant only the top rare games! Haha

• Like 1

Crap! I knew my plan wasn't fool proof.

Well I may of meant only the top rare games! Haha

Perhaps some shops selling games for current generation consoles feel obliged to offer money back guarantee in order not to lose customers to other shops? Or at least second hand trade in when you buy a different game.

What is the consensus on second hand sales of homebrew? I've read some opinions about that is "morally wrong" to resell limited edition homebrew games, although I can't imagine any publisher preventing that to happen, unlike some of the big companies on modern consoles who rather like to think they're renting out a license to play the game rather than selling a copy for you to deal with in any way you like. As long as there are no problems selling off the homebrew games that didn't turn out the way you imagined them, it is not any problem as long as you can find someone else willing to buy them, ideally at a reasonable price.

There is a few things on second hand sales of homebrew. People in the past at classic game expos has bought multiple copies of the same game that has a limited run for selling purposes.

There is another problem with selling second hand sales of homebrew from a "morally wrong" standpoint. That problem is an ebay seller false claims a homebrew game has a limited run, but it actually doesn't have a limited run. There has been problems on ebay by a certain seller falsely claiming scramble for the Atari 7800 had a limited run and changes the game $69.00 more dollars than Atariage store does despite Atariage store still has the game in stock.

People always ask me how 'limited' my games are......well, if no one buys them, they will be VERY limited.

I have no problem with people buying my games to resell. When I first start selling, I want to at least break even. I feel that there are a lot of people who still don't know about my games (this is not to bring up the discussion of how big the market really is....I don't want to debate it), so resellers help me reach those people.

If a manufacturer makes 250 or so copies, that is a big outlay of cash. Rightfully he probably 'deserves' the profit, but if someone comes along and buys 10 copies, and resells them, he is probably just happy to be 10 more copies nearer to the break even point. Boulder Dash for the Atari only had 250 copies made. It sat for almost a year until it sold out....now people are crying for it......and it isn't going to be re-released. Well, as far as the Intellivision version goes....it isn't 'limited' but there is a time limit to the sales of the game...they specifically end on August 15, 2015. So, if people want to buy multiple copies to speculate, I really don't care. Just buy the game, and don't sit on your hands for a year. The Boulder license is not cheap...the art, printing etc is not cheap....if this game sells poorly it will indeed be rare, but the chance of there being more licensed games from me goes down to nil......someone else will have to do it, or it will be true 'homebrew' releases from that point on. The customers will decide.

• Like 2

I prefer the real homebrews over the 'remakes'. Even thoughe I have a lot of respect for all the time and effort put into games like Boulderdash and Hover Bovver I will probably never buy them as I can play both these games on my C64.
I bought D2K because of the new levels but prefer really new games like Carol and Match5.

just my opinion :-)

• Like 3

I prefer the real homebrews over the 'remakes'. Even thoughe I have a lot of respect for all the time and effort put into games like Boulderdash and Hover Bovver I will probably never buy them as I can play both these games on my C64.

Never played games on the C64. Is Bolderdash better on the C64 or the Colecovision? The Coleco version is fun and it seems to have been a good port.

Never played games on the C64. Is Bolderdash better on the C64 or the Colecovision? The Coleco version is fun and it seems to have been a good port.

If I remember correctly, the Atari 800 version was the original, and the C64 version is more or less the same. The ColecoVision version has higher-resolution graphics, but from the last time I played it, I seem to recall that the scrolling/animation wasn't as smooth as on the 800 version.

Honestly, I dont know if the flood is good for anyone. For the publishers its bad for sure, because some people just cant afford to buy all homebrews, even if they want to. But also for us buyers/fans its a complicated time. To tell the truth, I am very disapointed about some releases and after testing them I never put them again into my console. My biggest dissapointment was Paddle Party. I was excited for nearly a year for this title, but when I saw the first gameplay videos I got a bad feeling about this game. Every single game has flaws in design for me and Tennis in Space (or what ever its called) is just weird. I write my opinion to the game in the Paddle Party thread later.

Its no offence against the developer, but I always get the feeling that we BUYERS are making it too easy for the publishers to say everything is good, even if its not good. When I look at my homebrew-shelf I have not really many games I want to play. Deep Pockets? No way, the flickering of the balls is too annoying. Match 5? Naaaah, but the game is good, just not my genre and the graphics are a bit to somber. Scarfinger? Not really.

I like Carol, Space Patrol, DK Arcade (and D2K), King of the Mountain, Tennis.

Lets think about that sentence - Carol is a new fresh idea, so its awesome. Tennis, Space Patrol and DK are better versions of existing games, so they are nice to play, but honestly not very creative.

Thats the problem for me with the homebrew-scene from the Intellivision, we have so many games, but not really new ideas, most games are just new versions of old stuff. Not bad, but not even close to the scene from the VCS or Colecovision.

All in all I would prefer less releases with a higher quality.

Just a brief comment on the above -- I think it's important to differentiate newly written homebrews from reproductions of unreleased games. They really are different things, after all, and the issues involved are somewhat related but still very much distinct.

I personally hold homebrews to a higher gameplay standard, though it's also important to me that unreleased games have all their bugs fixed and missing levels added before release. IntelligentVision did a great job with King of the Mountain in that regard.

I agree that a relatively small number of high-quality releases would be my ideal too. That said, so far I've only encountered one Intellivision game that made me think "Hmmm, maybe this shouldn't have been released", and that was a reproduction of an unreleased game (Rocky & Bullwinkle). IV did another excellent job with the production, I just think the game itself was deeply flawed.