IGNORED

The homebrew flood ... good thing, right?

Fushek

I like Carol, Space Patrol, DK Arcade (and D2K), King of the Mountain, Tennis.

Lets think about that sentence - Carol is a new fresh idea, so its awesome. Tennis, Space Patrol and DK are better versions of existing games, so they are nice to play, but honestly not very creative.

I am still thinking about the sentence. So Carol is awesome because it is new? Then Paddle party is awesome also because it is new?

Space Patrol is new to the Intellivision. I am not sure how you say it is a better version like DK and Tennis which are updates to games already released on the console.

I have had my personal reasons for releasing games as I am sure other producers have. If you do not think you will like the game, do not buy them.

Understanding a large population of the buyers are collectors, I refuse to cater to them such as by putting serial numbers on the boxes as we did with the first 4 titles. I really do want people to enjoy playing the games but every release will NEVER satisfy everyone. I focus on satisfying one person...ME.

I still think you should start making games. Perhaps you will make games you like or understand what it takes to make a game. What are you waiting for?

I personally hold homebrews to a higher gameplay standard, though it's also important to me that unreleased games have all their bugs fixed and missing levels added before release. IntelligentVision did a great job with King of the Mountain in that regard.

I agree that a relatively small number of high-quality releases would be my ideal too. That said, so far I've only encountered one Intellivision game that made me think "Hmmm, maybe this shouldn't have been released", and that was a reproduction of an unreleased game (Rocky & Bullwinkle). IV did another excellent job with the production, I just think the game itself was deeply flawed.

Thanks. I have always thought KotM was a great title. Even after the release, I think most people did not enjoy this title. :( It is nice to hear someone did.

I understand about Rocky. The game itself is well made but the game play is a bit interesting. At least it is better than League of Light :) Now that is a strange title.

Understanding a large population of the buyers are collectors, I refuse to cater to them such as by putting serial numbers on the boxes as we did with the first 4 titles. I really do want people to enjoy playing the games but every release will NEVER satisfy everyone. I focus on satisfying one person...ME.

Lord British started with a zip-lock bag with a disk and printout for a manual. If people weren't willing to buy a game for the gameplay this would be a very different industry. I've been lucky enough to work out deals in the past that allow me to release "developer editions" with minimal trimmings that don't compete with the main offering that has a fancy box with chatchkis.

@ Dave

I am no developer and I know that its much easier to say what you dont like, than to make it better. And I agree, I may should make a difference between unreleased and updated titles. About Paddle Party... well its not exactly what I would call awesome, as you could read in another thread :lol: What I do not agree: I dont think that I do not have the right to claim things I dont like just because I am not a developer. Also criticsm is feedback, some want to hear, others not, thats okay.

I stay behind my statement: I prefer new ideas and new games, they are more exciting for me than games I already know. Nonetheless is Super Pro Tennis the homebrew I spent most time of all homebrews, except Space Patrol, with. Its great in what it is.

So, then, is there 4 "types" of releases on any game systems? Am i missing any type and do these sum it up?

(just curious, not trying to make any point, although I LIKE THEM ALL!) variety is the spice of life! :-D

original homebrew (carol or paddle party)

port or clone of a game from another system (space patrol or boulder dash)

updated original or "hack" (ps., i always hated this term in regards to games) (super pro tennis or king of the mountain)

unreleased game (rom that may have bugs or incomplete) (scarfinger or hard hat)

Edited by revolutionika

Yep, these four categories seem to be quite good. And I have to admit, I also like unreleased titles, because they are new for me (even if they are old) and they are a kind of document of the history. Thats pretty cool.

Yeah, the mattel unreleased are special, ever since reading about what could of been released Ive loved getting them! It is exciting getting 'new' Intellivision games 30 years later after they should of been released! :P Yeah, im a geek....

• Like 1

So, what is the Intellivision scene being flooded with? I missed the titles the topic was premised on. It's quite possible I just missed where they were specifically mentioned.

I think the original poster is more worried about 2014 being flooded with homebrews. 2013 only seen 5 releases, hardly a flood......I cant remember how many 2012 saw.

Take a look at the 2014 release schedule that I update every month. Not 100 percent accurate but kinda close I think. http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/homebrew-releases-coming-soon

11 games on that list.......i have a feeling at least 2 on that list may be pushed back......I just announced 2 more......I think there could be a possible 2 more not on the list that MAY make it in 2014, but could not.....So........that is a max of 15 games, and a low estimate could be 10 or 11........of course stuff and plans change, could be less or more!

So, is 12 games a year a flood? How many atari 2600 games and CV games get released a year? Are those markets flooded?

• Like 2

@ theloon

Right now with announcements :P In the past we got many ports, unreleased games and hacks, for the future we could expect some homebrews (even if its not not really correct to call Elektronite games homebrews).

For ease, I just call ANY release a HOMEBREW. I dont get caught up too much in other terminology. But thats just me. :P

Thanks. I have always thought KotM was a great title. Even after the release, I think most people did not enjoy this title. :( It is nice to hear someone did.

I understand about Rocky. The game itself is well made but the game play is a bit interesting. At least it is better than League of Light :) Now that is a strange title.

I LOVE KOTM!!!!

@ Rev

I never heard of Oldschool, but it hardly happen in Feb/March. William said he is out of business for half a year, so isnt it more a summer release? May I missed some changings.

Stay tuned to any announcement on here from Games For Your Intellivision, he made this announcement on Facebook in an Intellivision group, he may of also mentioned in a thread on here, I cant remember. But yes, that was recently added to the list, even though, yes, he was on a break, but hey, Im not complaining, Ill take all the releases no problem! You know me!

original homebrew (carol or paddle party)

port or clone of a game from another system (space patrol or boulder dash)

updated original or "hack" (ps., i always hated this term in regards to games) (super pro tennis or king of the mountain)

unreleased game (rom that may have bugs or incomplete) (scarfinger or hard hat)

Looks good except that King of the Mountain should really be in the unreleased game section. I think the "updated original/hack" category should only be for improvements or expansions of released games, and I'd put Super Chef BT in there instead.

I LOVE KOTM!!!!

Me too, and I'm surprised that Dave was under the impression people didn't like it -- I've read many positive comments! I wish the Video Game Critic had reviewed it, but I guess it flew under his radar.

My worry is that I won't be able to buy everything because I won't hear about something.

So far my track record is perfect ... But who knows in the future,

(Of course, I still need to find my missing overlays.)

Just bookmark Rev's website, you won't miss anything that way.

So, is 12 games a year a flood? How many atari 2600 games and CV games get released a year? Are those markets flooded?

Well, in 2013 for Colecovision were published:

1. Mario Bros (2nd edition)
  2. Mindwalls
  3. Roller Ball (SGM)
  4. Bankruptcy Builder
  5. Cix
  6. Search for the Stolen Jewels Crown 3
  7. Shunting Puzzle
  8. MTX Memotech Game Collection vol. 1
  9. Electric Adventure Classics
  10. Helifire
  11. Earth Defend 2083
  12. Galaxian
  13. Lode Runner
  14. Super Minefield
  15. MTX Memotech Game Collection vol. 2
  16. Pong/Computer Space
  17. Battle of Hoth.
  18. The Black Onyx.
  19. Buck Rogers Supergame (SGM)
  20. Module Man
  21. Mecha-8

:D

I remember posting this just the day Atariage failed, and just today I realized it was missing.

To answer to the question "Intellivision flood... good thing ?" my answer is very simple :

I collect Intellivision (first), Vectrex (second) and Colecovision (third) games. Last year, I bought a lot of CV homebrew... I didn't play 'cause I don't have time for. Now, I see there are a lot of homebrew for CV and Intellivision for 2014 and I know I couldn't play them all and I couldn't buy them all. So, I decided there are a few weeks to stop my CV homebrew collection (I sold a few yesterday (Dacman, Fortress, Ghosts...) and I will continue). And if too much games will be released for Intellivision, I think I will stop to buy all the homebrews.

So, good thing ? Yes, for my Paypal account, it's a good new ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Just entered all my homebrews (and many of the regular games) in the Collectorz Game Collector. Thankfully, many were acquired before my five year collecting hiatus, so there is not that much missing what I want to add.

Looking at the quality of most of them, I'm glad that talented people program these gems in their spare time and find the publishers who release them adding beautiful boxes and manuals. Thanks again to all involved and keep them coming. Many people like myself are interested in them and are looking forward to add more fodder to our beloved 8-bitters.

Atari Homebrews: 31 Games

Colecovision Homebrews: 40 Games

IntelliVision Homebrews: 2 Games :woozy:

Vectrex Homebrews: 23 Games

Edited by AtariBuff

Just entered all my homebrews (and many of the regular games) in the Collectorz Game Collector. Thankfully, many were acquired before my five year collecting hiatus, so there is not that much missing what I want to add.

Looking at the quality of most of them, I'm glad that talented people program these gems in their spare time and find the publishers who release them adding beautiful boxes and manuals. Thanks again to all involved and keep them coming. Many people like myself are interested in them and are looking forward to add more fodder to our beloved 8-bitters.

Atari Homebrews: 31 Games

Colecovision Homebrews: 40 Games

IntelliVision Homebrews: 2 Games :woozy:

Vectrex Homebrews: 23 Games

Pics? I'd love to see these babies displayed together :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

@ theloon

Right now with announcements :P In the past we got many ports, unreleased games and hacks, for the future we could expect some homebrews (even if its not not really correct to call Elektronite games homebrews).

No disrespect to William but his games are homebrews I mean isn't the definition of a homebrew game any game made after the system was taken off the market (after market games) ? But what ever you want to call them I say they are all great games and look forward to more to come from Elektronite.