IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 5 is up!

Listening to the Robinson interview now. I'm not sure who mentioned it, but thanks for remembering that you could get a free game by sending in the bottom flap of a number of boxes. I've always wondered why so many boxes have their bottom flaps missing! (Same reason why so many Parker Brothers manuals are missing the lower right corner.)

Yeah, that was me. I still have my original 'flap-less' boxes... which is why I also have TRON Solar Sailor!

Casual gamers and non-Inty collectors weren't put off by it. If you didn't know or didn't remember the original console, there was nothing inherently wrong with the handhelds. They played "retro games".

Personally, I didn't like them, since they weren't the real thing (though they were advertised as such). But close to a million others did like them, based on the sales figures. And the fact that I didn't like them does not mean I will never buy another IP product.

Did you play the games on the handheld? The games were inherently wrong! They were terrible regardless if you knew the original games or not. A friend bought a handheld for her kid. The kid never played it.

So you consider that if a person buys a product, they must like it? You did not so how could you say that a million people liked the handhelds?

If a million people buy that AT Games console, then I will be wrong and that the handhelds were a great success and people remember the brand. Does anyone know how many DS games were sold?

I think you are a bit biased towards IP. That could be expected. Most people are. I guess I will not expect you to ask the questions we really want answers to.

I wanted to know a bit more of what a commercial product using FPGA system can do.

I mean, I know it's not the cheapest way to "rebuild" Intellivision or any other retro system. But I'm curious to know if it's possible to release a multi-platform fpga console.

There's a guy who made an Intellivision + Intellivoice + ECS with FPGA.

This same guy made many other systems with FPGA...

But I don't know if these FPGA boards can be easily reprogrammed by some deep switch to change its guts into another console....

I guess that would be a very cool hardware. Intellivision + Atari + Nes...

Now, am I totally wrong?... :?

Here is the guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kevtris/videos

Sounds like you're projecting your anger at Nurmix when you should be confronting Keith yourself.

Not anger at all. Really a disappointment from the lack of understanding. Nurmix states that he did not like the handheld but then goes on to state that the close to a million of people that bought it did. Do you not see an issue with making this statement? Where do the facts state that a million people liked the handhelds? IP saying this?

So many people in this forum look to people like Nurmix to provide them valid information but then they get this skewed perspective.

Not anger at all. Really a disappointment from the lack of understanding. Nurmix states that he did not like the handheld but then goes on to state that the close to a million of people that bought it did. Do you not see an issue with making this statement? Where do the facts state that a million people liked the handhelds? IP saying this?

So many people in this forum look to people like Nurmix to provide them valid information but then they get this skewed perspective.

I don't mean to speak for Nurmix, but I'm not reading "like" the same way you are based on the context of his sentence. To me, the statement means that a million others "liked it [well enough to buy it,]" not that a million of them liked it well enough to fill out some kind of survey attesting to how much pleasure the game brought them. The use of the word "like" was a stylistic choice, and to suggest that it needs to be taken literally strikes me as disingenuous or just plain odd (can't decide which) because no one in his or her right mind would claim to know or have access to the feelings of a million strangers.

Why are you then speaking for him?

We're really the same person. And so is Keith Robinson.

In another thread, you told someone if he didn't like one of your games, he should start developing games of his own. Why not start a podcast of your own and ask Keith the questions you want to ask?

• Like 1

I don't mean to speak for Nurmix, but I'm not reading "like" the same way you are based on the context of his sentence. To me, the statement means that a million others "liked it [well enough to buy it,]" not that a million of them liked it well enough to fill out some kind of survey attesting to how much pleasure the game brought them. The use of the word "like" was a stylistic choice, and to suggest that it needs to be taken literally strikes me as disingenuous or just plain odd (can't decide which) because no one in his or her right mind would claim to know or have access to the feelings of a million strangers.

Exactly this. Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say, boxpressed.

I'm not afraid to ask Keith anything, Dave. Lots of the crappy handhelds sold. That's a fact. People thought they were good enough to spend $10 on. I have two. Do I play them? When I first got them, I did. But now they are boxed up, and just one of my Intellivision collectibles (although technically, they are "Intellivision" in name only).

I do not believe the AT Games console will be anything like the handhelds. I have some inside information that I'm not at liberty to discuss now. But all of this will come out on the show in time, as will a thorough question and answer session with Keith.

• Like 1

Just like with movies, even if we as a group don't like something, that doesn't mean that the rest of the world will agree with our opinion.

The plug and play units sell like hotcakes. It can be collectors, someone looking to relive their childhood, or someone who just wants to play some games without having to go buy the older systems and the games. We know our games, and we'll notice something that the average person won't notice. The sound is wrong? The guy who hasn't played the game in over 20 years won't know that, whereas we'll pick it up instantly.

Something selling means there's an interest in it.

Something being returned means there was either a defect, or the person didn't like it.

I don't like the P&P units in general, across all systems. In fact I don't care much for some of the $50+ handheld units that will play actual cartridges for system. From a company perspective, selling a lot of units, and having very little returns would indicate a positive response to the product. Stuff comes back (and in the case of movies, get sequels) when there's enough money being made.

I work at Target, and I'll on occasion do the electronics department. There were plenty of people who came in trying to find the Sega plug and play units. Hell, almost all of the stuff that we sell in the Dollar Spot near the entrance is absolute garbage, yet we sell a **** ton of it. Good or not, the store is making bank.

This argument over "Like" is starting to sound like the recent RGR argument over "system".

Something selling means there's an interest in it.

Well said....there is interest in the product. How would they know if they liked it if they have never tried it.

How many people return the products in the Dollar Spot bins? If they did not like what they purchased in the dollar bin, do they just trash it or return it? I guess if they are visiting the store often, they might just return it. A dollar is a dollar.

I have never complained about the production of the podcast. I think they do a great job at producing it. The point of views are interesting.

• 1 month later...

I just got around to listening to this podcast. I'm impressed. I always like listening to Keith talk, he's got so many stories, and they're all entertaining. And even if a lot of it is apocryphal, they are all imbued with his enthusiasm and passion, which makes them interesting and entertaining. :)

The explanation of how the voices for the IntelliVoice were processed was very instructional. I always had the impression that they were mere digital samples and that they just played with the sampling rate. However, it seems that the process was a lot more involved than that. They didn't just play sampled voices, they simulated phonemes with specific parameters to match the actor's voice. That's incredible! It's like a steam-punk time-machine: a surprising low-tech concept applied with incredibly high technology.

Thanks for doing this. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

By the way, Rick, tell Nurmix to get off his ass and produce that extended remix of the theme song. It takes me considerably longer to play each podcast when I find myself replaying the intro over and over. :)

-dZ.

Nurmix, where for I get Mp3's of the podcast songs?

I'd donate a few bucks toward the show. ;-)

Actually Rev brings up a good point. Do you guys need any help financially with the podcasts? Pardon my ignorance of the costs involved but I'd be willing to help offset costs with a donation.

Nurmix set everything up in terms of the storage, feeds, etc., at libsyn, so he pays the bills! :) I've been sending him a little month each month to help with the costs.

We have talked only briefly about possibly putting a donation button on the website. Nurmix could speak more towards any actual need of help.

I just got around to listening to this podcast. I'm impressed. I always like listening to Keith talk, he's got so many stories, and they're all entertaining. And even if a lot of it is apocryphal, they are all imbued with his enthusiasm and passion, which makes them interesting and entertaining. :)

The explanation of how the voices for the IntelliVoice were processed was very instructional. I always had the impression that they were mere digital samples and that they just played with the sampling rate. However, it seems that the process was a lot more involved than that. They didn't just play sampled voices, they simulated phonemes with specific parameters to match the actor's voice. That's incredible! It's like a steam-punk time-machine: a surprising low-tech concept applied with incredibly high technology.

Thanks for doing this. :)

-dZ.

Thanks, dZ.

Have you heard others - who were there, or are in the know - say that Keith's stories are somewhat less than accurate?

I also never realized that was the way they created the Intellivoice voices. The techniques used were a great deal more complex and involved than I ever imagined.

By the way, Rick, tell Nurmix to get off his ass and produce that extended remix of the theme song. It takes me considerably longer to play each podcast when I find myself replaying the intro over and over. :)

-dZ.

I know, I know... I'm so lazy!

You did download the "music only' episode, as Rick mentioned, for JUST the music tracks, correct? They were 320kbps as well.

And I never heard you comment on the Christmas Remix of the intro track, dZ (the one in our December / 'Christmas Carol' episode). That took some work!

;)

EDIT: Just noticed THAT episode isn't on our website... Rick?

Edited by nurmix