IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

@am1933

your program is not accepted ;) .

There is no interactive element and so we cannot call it a game. And so it does not complies with the rules.

Strictly in you! I'm sure you could do it with a little practice.

Edited by Bunsen
  • Like 1

I started out with one game that there was no way to get everything in 10 lines. Scrapped. Moved to another idea and realized it too was never going to fit. On my third and am 3 lines over budget. Squeezing logic, snd tracing a nasty screen object bug that resulted from a slight change along the way. And its slow as tar.

Edited by Ripdubski

Nice game, Bill :)

Thanks. What's funny is, I've always wanted to do a Mahjong Solitaire game, but never got much beyond unworkable designs. But that's because I wanted it to _look_ good (3D isometric & stuff). Having to cram it in 10 lines of code required me to focus on the gameplay, and I was able to get it done. In reviewing/explaining the code, I saw a few places where there's stuff I can remove, so I actually have a tiny bit of room; maybe I'll add proper sound effects. :)

Thanks. What's funny is, I've always wanted to do a Mahjong Solitaire game, but never got much beyond unworkable designs. But that's because I wanted it to _look_ good (3D isometric & stuff). Having to cram it in 10 lines of code required me to focus on the gameplay, and I was able to get it done. In reviewing/explaining the code, I saw a few places where there's stuff I can remove, so I actually have a tiny bit of room; maybe I'll add proper sound effects. :)

Yes looks very nice indeed. It's great that you have put up the web pages with explanations of the programs too :thumbsup: (One of the TBS links is broken!). Fandal relased a superb Mahjong XE game last year, though I suspect even he used 11 lines or more :D

Yes looks very nice indeed. It's great that you have put up the web pages with explanations of the programs too :thumbsup: (One of the TBS links is broken!). Fandal relased a superb Mahjong XE game last year, though I suspect even he used 11 lines or more :D

(Which link's broken?)

And wow, that's pretty. Though it seems to only be 2D. (I'm having trouble playing it in Atari800 at the moment; with PC mouse input set to "Atari ST Mouse", it's still very wiggly & hard to aim.) I always wanted to make something like "My Jong", but less "GRAPHICS 7" in appearance. :)

my_jong.png

Activision! did an official "Shanghai" for the 8-bit, it seems. Like my 10-liner, it uses tile colors to portray which level a line is on, rather than trying to do the 3D isometric that My Jong (and Shanghai on 16-bit systems) did:

235475-shanghai-atari-8-bit-screenshot-i

I've got one in the pipeline - 8 lines so far but hoping to compact down a bit.

There's some exploits that can be used to cram more into a line and some programming trickery that can help too:

- normal limit with E: is only 120 bytes input to a line. Actually, BASIC allows 256 bytes to be input but this limit is rarely approached and can only occur when doing something like ENTER "<filespec>". To get such large lines, an editor on the PC can be used, then use the H: device in the emulator with ATASCII translation to get the lines into memory. There are downsides though, changing the program will be tedious and including special characters somewhat harder. Best method is probably to do the program e.g. as 30 lines of code then combine lines in an editor once finalized.

Note also that there's a limit to a stored line of program (256 bytes?) and it's fairly easy to overrun this. Especial case is if there's lots of numeric constants in a line.

- use boolean logic. e.g. in the game I'm doing, speed/size advantage for moving something vertically:

S=STICK(0) : V=(S=13)-(S=14) : Y=Y+V

- use infinite loop, change loop variable to break out. The problem with using GOTO for program control within the main loop is that the main loop will start at the beginning of the line and the end of the main loop with the GOTO can't have anything following it.

FOR L=1 TO 2 STEP 0
<rest of main loop>
IF C=1 THEN L=2 : REM set breakout condition so we can get out of loop
NEXT L

I am not sure how these contest entries will be evaluated exactly, does originality and creativeness play an important part or is it all about how much code one can cram into 10 lines? If the former is true one doesn't really have to worry about these trickeries but instead concentrate on being original.

Me... no I am not participating... i can't even code my name in only 10 lines :P

Edited by atari8warez

(Which link's broken?)

And wow, that's pretty. Though it seems to only be 2D. (I'm having trouble playing it in Atari800 at the moment; with PC mouse input set to "Atari ST Mouse", it's still very wiggly & hard to aim.) I always wanted to make something like "My Jong", but less "GRAPHICS 7" in appearance. :)

my_jong.png

Activision! did an official "Shanghai" for the 8-bit, it seems. Like my 10-liner, it uses tile colors to portray which level a line is on, rather than trying to do the 3D isometric that My Jong (and Shanghai on 16-bit systems) did:

235475-shanghai-atari-8-bit-screenshot-i

I like the 3D tiles used in Taipei XL, but I'd rather see it use traditional tile faces like Shanghai.

I am not sure how these contest entries will be evaluated exactly, does originality and creativeness play an important part or is it all about how much code one can cram into 10 lines? If the former is true one doesn't really have to worry about these trickeries but instead concentrate on being original.

Me... no I am not participating... i can't even code my name in only 10 lines :P

There will be about 20 to 25 voters in the jury (the visitors of the NOMAM fair). Of course wins the one who pays the most bribe. I will spend them some beer, for sure they will vote for my game :D .

• Like 2

12th game registered :thumbsup:

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Paddleship by Bill Kendrick

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Carrera by Daniel Serpell

Minijong by Bill Kendrick

Jump! by Xuel

love this competition, should dig into programming (like in the 90ies) again...

C'mon you can create something; you have until April :)

I've just been playing all of the games that are released [PAL 800XL] (are we ok relasing them before the event?!!)

firstly WOW amazing stuff guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If I may be so bold as to suggest some tweaks :grin:

Paddleship almost impossible to stop the spinning:

Line 110 add "PAUSE 3" to the start

Line 130 change to T=T+0.1 and replace the END with PAUSE T: RUN

Much more playable; in fact you can also play it quite nicely with the Joystick(!) as the default spin is now slow enough; using Left to thrust at the correct times.

Shmup

Line 120 change to PAUSE 99 - it was too easy to skip end of go. [Might need to reset the text colour as it is sometimes black?]

If you can stop the repeat fire this would be a better challenge as holding it in makes it too easy. It's way more fun to play without firing and trying to dodge the enemies - so I'd suggest this for the contest - reminded me of one of my favourite little games Meteor

meteor_(russell_payne).png

Gozmind seems tricky but I might be a bit dumb - was expecting the stars in the correct positions DOH!

Jump WOW!

MiniJong - feedback from bluecat was the black lines on the left of the tiles made it less clear about the tile levels (even despite the colour differences!)

Planets neat!

Slice - played with paddles; great fun for two players.

Had a bit of feedback for Gwobby Micro - "bit too hard!" but I think the Atari veterans at the event can handle it... final tweaks tomorrow and will start making a game with bluecat and her nephew - he has designed some graphics today ;)