IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

On 4/27/2024 at 5:38 PM, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

Back with NeoGeoNow at EVO Japan trying out the chractoers for Fatal Fury: COTW. Let's dive right in shall we? :)

Anthony..

I’m loving all this coverage and the hype is growing around a Garou title again.

2 hours ago, aduffy1976 said:

I’m loving all this coverage and the hype is growing around a Garou title again.

Same here Allan. What exciting times ahead for us. Everything is coming along quite nicely. Glad you came by to have a look on the latest progress of Fatal Fury:COTW brother man. :)

Anthony..

9 hours ago, awbacon said:

awesome stuff

Hi VGE,

Thank you for stopping by to share the latest Analogue Pocket update bro. What an improvement it is and really going to make good use of it after seeing your video involving the core. Always a pleasure to see you doing what you do best VGE. Great stuff as always. :)

Anthony..

43 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

Rage of the Dragons is back on the ExA-Arcadia as "Rage of the Dragons W". WOW! Would love to see more footage of it in the future. :)

Anthony...

I hope it’s not a mobile game. I love me some Rage of the Dragon on the Neo Geo. 

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

『餓狼伝説 City of the Wolves』試遊レビュー。SNKは本気で新規ファンを取るつもりだった https://famitsu.com/article/202404/3862 ・ワンボタンでs殺技やオートコンボ発動 ・REVシステムで大ダメージ ・『餓狼MOW』を継承しつつ、駆け引きは新鮮 ・バスターウルフの演出は修正済み #餓狼CotW #CotW #EVOJ24
Translated from Japanese by
"Garou Densetsu City of the Wolves" demo review. SNK was serious about attracting new fans https://famitsu.com/article/202404/3862 ・One-button special moves and auto-combos ・Rev system for massive damage ・Inheriting the style of Garou MOW, but with a fresh twist to the tactics ・Buster Wolf's performance has been revised

“Fatal Fury CotW” trial review. The "REV system", which inherits from "Garou MOW" and allows you to aim for great damage, is exciting. SNK's seriousness conveyed through simple operation mode [EVO Japan 2024]

“Fatal Fury CotW” trial review. The "REV system", which inherits from "Garou MOW" and allows you to aim for great damage, is exciting. SNK's seriousness conveyed through simple operation mode [EVO Japan 2024]
 The fighting game event “EVO Japan 2024” was held from April 27th to 29th, 2024. At the SNK booth, a trial session was held for the new fighting game `` Fatal Fury City of the Wolves '' (hereinafter referred to as `` Garou CotW '') , which is scheduled to be released in early 2025 .
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

In addition to multiple trial play tables installed at the booth, there was also a panel featuring the series' representative character "Terry Bogard" and a commemorative photo space. Also, at the back of the booth, you could see the main visuals from the previous series, and you could also win tote bags and clear files by taking a survey or posting on X (Twitter).

The trial run was set to last about 30 minutes, but due to its popularity, 100 minute waits were common. It seems that it received a lot of attention from fighting game fans, so much so that the trial play time was shortened to about 15 minutes halfway through.

[IMAGE][IMAGE]

[IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

What is “Garou CotW”?

The " Fatal Fury " series is a fighting game that represents SNK. After ` `Garou MOW '' (hereinafter referred to as `` Garou MOW '') was released in 1999, there was no movement for a long time, but a new work has finally arrived.

Even if you don't know about the series, you may know about the characters from SNK's representative `` The King of Fighters '' series (hereinafter referred to as `` KOF '') and Terry's participation in `` Super Smash Bros. Special '' as guest appearances. There are probably many people who do.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
 `` Garou CotW '' seems to be an orthodox evolution work that incorporates the essence of ` `Garou MOW '', and the system and worldview are also inherited from `` Garou MOW

''. The story  of Garou MOW is also appealing. The ending left me wondering what would happen next, but it hasn't been talked about yet. Now, after about 26 years, fans have high expectations as they wonder if the sequel will finally be told. That is Garou CotW .

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Impressions of trial play & system explanation

I'll share my impressions after actually playing the game, and explain the system and operating methods. Please note that all specifications are still being adjusted, so specifications may differ in the final version.

The graphics are 3D graphics similar to those of `` KOF XV '' and utilize the know-how of recent SNK titles. A unique filter is applied to some scenes, and manga-like effects are mixed with tone-like expressions, creating a unique art style reminiscent of manga and American comics.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
 It seems that the visuals are still being refined. When a gameplay video was previously released, it received a bad reputation as ``Buster Wolf (Terry's super special move) was lame,'' but in this trial version, it was polished up to be quite cool. We're starting to hear comments from fans saying, "It's cool!", and I think the graphics and production will continue to improve.
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Also includes operating instructions for beginners

There are two types of operation methods. "Arcade style" is a control style typical of an orthodox SNK title, with movement using stick controls, and fighting using weak/strong punches and weak/strong kicks. Those who have played the Garou MOW and KOF series will be able to get used to it easily.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Another is the “smart style” that is easy to play even for beginners. Basic attacks are organized into a punch button, kick button, and special move button, and special moves can also be performed with one button. This is a control system that is often used in modern fighting games, and allows you to fight without inputting difficult commands.

The punch and kick buttons cannot be used arbitrarily between weak and strong, but the basics are the weak version, and some actions are assigned the strong version, so it is possible to use one button to change the attack to a certain extent.
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

The special move button allows you to use various special moves depending on whether or not you use stick input. It can be pulled out with one button, making it easy to play even for beginners, and it is also quite easy to take immediate action. The weakness is that only the weak version can be activated, and the strong version cannot be activated. However, the power is the same as the arcade style.

There is also a smart combo button, which automatically performs combos just by pressing the button repeatedly. While standing, you can perform orthodox combos, and while crouching, you can perform different combos. The crouching version left room for small improvements, such as ``you can add your own super move at the end.''

Super special moves do not require difficult command input, and can be activated with button combinations. Most other systems can also be used, so it seems like Smart Style alone will be enough to compete. However, "braking", which allows you to stop a technique midway and change its performance, and "feint", which allows you to pretend to perform a technique, cannot be used in smart style.

Since it is a highly technical and advanced system, there is no need for beginners to master it, so it is probably omitted. If you're good at braking and feinting, you'll probably be able to fight in arcade style.

System inherited from “Garou MOW”

When I played it, it felt very similar to Garou MOW . Before a match, set an "SPG zone" at the beginning, middle, or end of the health bar. When the health bar touches the zone, you can increase your attack power, release the system, recover your health, etc. Will they be strong in the early stages, or will they aim for a comeback in the final stages? It is a unique system that handles such tactics. It is almost the same as the "TOP system" of "Garou MOW" .  In addition, many systems have been inherited from Garou MOW, such as "Just Defense," which allows you to obtain advantageous effects by guarding just before an attack hits, and "Upper Evasion Attack," which combines offense and defense, and "Lower Evasion Attack." There is.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]SPG system. It's chance time to strengthen yourself at the timing set on your health bar.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Just defense. It has a more advantageous effect than normal guard.

There are also "combination attacks" that allow you to perform consecutive attacks using the same operations for all characters, such as weak punch, strong punch, strong punch, and strong kick. When I actually played it, I felt that it was rather similar to the original `` Real Bout Fatal Fury

'' series.  Another great thing about smart style operation is that you can perform punches just by hitting the punch button repeatedly. However, combination attacks cannot be derived with smart style. Derivative attacks are exclusive to the arcade style.

There are plenty of small jumps, and I was also impressed by the simple input options. It's a simple but very nice element because you can attack from the air without any difficult operations.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

New system of “Garou CotW”

In addition to the super special move gauge (power gauge), this work is equipped with a number of "REV" systems that use the "REV gauge".

The REV gauge is displayed from 0 to 100%, and the gauge increases as you use various systems. It will gradually return to 0% after a certain amount of time passes or when you move or attack. When it reaches 100%, it enters an "overheat" state, making the REV system unusable for a certain period of time, and causing a "guard crash" if you continue to guard against your opponent's attacks.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

The gauge that says 47% at the bottom left of the screen is the REV gauge.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

When it reaches its maximum level, it becomes overheated. The area around the character's body also turns red.

Combined offense and defense attack/REV blow

"REV Blow" allows you to deliver a powerful blow while parrying the opponent's attack. It's powerful and easy to use, but the amount of REV gauge used was rather large. Even more powerful is that it can be used in the air, allowing you to parry your opponent's anti-aircraft attacks. It was a system that seemed to be especially important during battles.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

After parrying the opponent's attack...

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Just counterattack. It seemed especially strong when attacking from the air.

So-called EX techniques/REV arts

If you release a special move by pressing two buttons at the same time, it becomes a "REV Arts" and you can use an enhanced version of that special move. It is similar to the so-called EX special move that is also used in the `` KOF

'' series.  REV Arts can be used in succession to connect with other special moves REV Arts or REV Blow. This is called "REV Acceleration", and although it uses a large amount of REV gauge, it is a key system in this game because it allows you to aim for powerful combos.

My impression from the trial version is that when you're fighting around normally, you feel that the damage is low overall, but when you combine REV Accel and super special moves, 70% to 80% of your health is reduced, which is normal. For damage. Since it is a version that is still being adjusted, I got the impression that it has been reduced too much, but it seems that it will continue to be important in terms of dealing damage.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Will it become a new pillar of SNK?

There are some other systems, but there are some that I wasn't able to experience due to small details, so I'll omit them. Overall, not only can you enjoy very exhilarating battles, but the smart style controls are quite comfortable, and I'm impressed by the fact that there's a fair amount of room for research.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

As for the character usage, the characters that continue to appear from ``Garou MOW'' are roughly the same. I like the Gryphon Mask, so I was very happy that the "noisy feeling" was still intact.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

The new character Preecha is Joe Higashi's best disciple. Before playing the combination of Muay Thai and Tornado, I thought, ``Maybe the battle style is just like Joe Higashi?'', but when I tried it out, I found it to be quite a unique battle style.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]
 Of course, I think this work was made to meet the expectations of series fans, but with the appearance of Smart Style, I can feel SNK's determination to increase new fans.

Currently, SNK's mainstay 
is the ``KOF'' series. The series is appealing for its 3on3 team battles, but since it requires mastery of all three characters, it can be difficult for beginners to play in earnest (single battles are also available, but they are not the mainstream). Samurai Shodown

,  released in 2019, is a one-on-one game, but it has a somewhat unique position in the fighting game genre. It's hard to say that it's an easy game to play, even for beginners, because the appeal is that you can experience the tension of instant death with one hit.  Looking at it this way, it seems like SNK doesn't have fighting games that anyone can easily get into (this is just my feeling).

Through this trial run, I felt that the goal of ``Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves'' was to enhance this .  I think there are probably more characters that will appear, such as Marco, who was announced during the event, so I'm looking forward to the release in early 2025 with further updates.
【餓狼伝説CotW】 極限流空手の師範代「マルコ・ロドリゲス」のキャラクタートレーラーを公開! Voice Actors [日本語]松田 健一郎 [英語]Earl Baylon >「マルコ・ロドリゲス」キャラクタートレーラー https://youtu.be/9sMD05H1NnY #餓狼伝説 #CotW #松田健一郎 さん
[Fatal Fury CotW] A character trailer for Kyokugenryu Karate instructor Marco Rodriguez has been released! Voice Actors [Japanese] Kenichiro Matsuda [English] Earl Baylon >"Marco Rodriguez" character trailer https://youtu.be/9sMD05H1NnY #餓狼伝説 #CotW #松田健一郎

GMOdggXbwAAugS2?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

EVO Japan 2024 最終日Day 3がスタートしました! SNKブースでは、餓狼伝説CotWの試遊を実施中です。皆さまのご来場をお待ちしております。 #SNK #餓狼伝説 #CotW #EVOJ24
The final day of EVO Japan 2024, Day 3, has begun! At the SNK booth, we are currently offering a demo of Garou Densetsu CotW. We look forward to seeing you there. #SNK #餓狼伝説 #CotW #EVOJ24
Was this translation accurate? Give us feedback so we can improve:

GMS2bV_aUAEE6JW?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Trailer 2 is now running for Vengeance Hunters for the Neo-Geo. 

From the description,

"Nalua Studio, a new & independent game development studio, would like to present Vengeance Hunters! An all-new beat'em'up brawler developed for play on Neo-Geo hardware (AES/MVS) and being brought to all modern platforms!! Vengeance Hunters has an old school look and flair while also using newer game play design methodology. Expect hard hitting moves, ground combos, air combos, OTG combos, comb extensions and a free form Co-Op experience that is focused on producing a fun time for players as opposed to simply trying to remove as many quarters from your pocket as possible. Vengeance Hunters is also coming to Nintendo Switch, Sony PS4/PS5, Xbox Series S/X and Steam! NOTE Xbox is not listed in the video due to Nalua Studio still working on becoming a dev partner. Please join us at https://shop.naluastudio.com/shop/pro... to order your copy of the AES/MVS version. Modern platform versions will be available to wish list/pre-order later. Chapters: 0:00 Vengeance Hunters 0:18 Candy 0:40 Golem 0:56 Loony 1:27 Order Vengeance Hunters

Anthony..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok. So looking at the price of NEO-GEO CD games at the mo. Most games apart from some of the fighters are hitting £100++.

I decided to copy and burn 50 games that interest me, just to see if they are worth actually spending the money on them.

Played Raguy/Blue's journey today and absolutely loved it. It's like an arcade version of super mario, thou better! Probably my next physical purchase...

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

Ok. So looking at the price of NEO-GEO CD games at the mo. Most games apart from some of the fighters are hitting £100++.

I decided to copy and burn 50 games that interest me, just to see if they are worth actually spending the money on them.

Played Raguy/Blue's journey today and absolutely loved it. It's like an arcade version of super mario, thou better! Probably my next physical purchase...

Excellent choice as usual Shane. I always liked Raguy/Blue's Journey. It's a strange game to play and I remember the AVGN did a video with his friend Mike regarding it for the AES. They enjoyed it overall. Nice vibrant colors it has in the backgrounds. :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shane857 said:

I decided to copy and burn 50 games that interest me, just to see if they are worth actually spending the money on them..

That’s how I went … I don’t think I have a single original for the NGCD, I gladly patched each and every one of them that either had cd or cdz protection, given none of my money would go to SNK or Visco or etc… anyway I did not feel bad one bit.

For my top loader I went the neosdloader route http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/ and it’s so much faster … I even have a cdz (pity no neosdloader for that) but rarely if ever use it. 
I also own an aes + neosd pro (https://terraonion.com/en/producto/neosd-pro-aes/ ) just because I could afford it way back when and it can alsoplay about half of the ngcd library in addition to all aes games thanks to razoola of unibios fame (http://unibios.free.fr/)

I mean if anyone is in retro gaming neogeo is a mandatory stop … MiSTer does a very good job at it btw, so that counts too.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

【特別企画】「餓狼伝説 City of the Wolves」試遊レポート。攻めも守りも強力なシステムが目白押し! 対戦動画も掲載 https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/kikaku/1588081.html #餓狼伝説CotW #EVOJ24
[Special Feature] "Fatal Fury City of the Wolves" demo report. Packed with powerful offensive and defensive systems! Video of the gameplay also included https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/kikaku/1588081.html #餓狼伝説CotW #EVOJ24

GMLhY3PakAAGZ5f?format=jpg&name=small

GMLhY_gaQAA-3jz?format=jpg&name=360x360

GMLhZFjbAAET-TS?format=jpg&name=360x360

“Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” trial report. Full of powerful systems both offensively and defensively!

• Yuichi Fukikoshi

April 28, 2024 00:00

Scheduled to be released in early 2025

Price: TBD

Platform: TBA

1_l.jpg

Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves is a competitive 2D fighting game that is the first completely new series in 26 years. My first impression after trying it out for the first time was that it was a "high-speed attack game."

"Fatal Fury" is a fighting game series by SNK whose first game was released in 1991. Since the previous game was released 26 years ago, I think there are many people who have never played it, but characters from "Fatal Fury" are participating in the same SNK fighting game "THE KING OF FIGHTERS" series. Terry Bogard from the Fatal Fury series is making a guest appearance in Nintendo's competitive action game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and many people may have heard of his name.

The first trial run will be held at "EVO Japan 2024", which is being held from April 27th to April 29th. Although it was a short 30 minutes, I was able to experience the sense of speed from guard cancels, feints, and braking that appeared in past games, as well as the explosive power of the new system "REV System." We will be delivering a report focusing on the "REV System".

[FATAL FURY: CotW |Announcement Trailer]
0_l.jpg
The five characters you can try out are "Rock Howard", "Terry Bogard", the new character "Pricha", "Griffon Mask", and "Hotaru Futaba".

The REV system creates new tactics

The new system in this game is the ``REV System.'' The ``REV System'' is a system that allows you to perform powerful REV actions by increasing the ``REV Gauge.'' At the beginning of the game, the REV gauge starts at 0%, and increases as you use various REV actions or guard against your opponent's attacks, and when it reaches 100%, it becomes "OVERHEAT" and various disadvantages occur. For fighting gamers, it will be easier to understand if you think of the drive gauge in "Street Fighter 6".

6_l.jpg
The REV gauge is at the bottom of the screen, above the two gauges. Start from 0% and OVERHEAT at 100%

The disadvantages of being in OVERHEAT are that various REV actions become unusable until you recover, and if you guard against an opponent's attack during OVERHEAT, your guard gauge will decrease, and when it reaches 0, you will crash and expose a big gap. It becomes like this. As with the drive gauge, the key seems to be how to use the gauge to your advantage while being careful not to overheat.

In addition, the REV gauge will recover over time, moving forward, attacking, and just defense/hyper defense, which will be described later. It will be important for gauge management to attack when attacking, and switch between offense and defense using Just Defense/Hyper Defense when defending.

So, what can you do with the REV gauge? Below is the REV action.

REV Brow

REV Blow is a combined offense and defense attack that parries the opponent's striking attack while delivering a heavy blow. You can also use the aerial REV blow while jumping. It can also be connected after a combination or REV Arts to create a continuous attack.

REV Arts

By pressing two buttons at the same time when performing a special move, you can use the REV gauge to use REV arts that are more powerful than normal special moves.

REV accelerator

After REV Arts, you can use the REV Gauge to connect to other REV Arts and REV Blows. Let's perform continuous techniques while paying attention to the REV gauge!

REV Guard

By holding the REV Guard button, you can use the REV Gauge to use REV Guard, which allows you to distance yourself from the opponent more than a normal guard. Also nullifies the damage caused by special attacks.

Of these, the REV brow is worth mentioning. It is an attack and defense action that parries the opponent's striking attack while attacking, and can also be used while jumping, and can also be used to counterattack while parrying the opponent's anti-aircraft attack. Also, if you counterattack by countering your opponent's REV blow with a REV blow, you will fall to your knees and be hit with a painful combo. It's an attack similar to the Drive Impact from Strike Fighter 6, but there is a clear difference in that it cannot be used as a combo even if it is blocked at the edge of the screen.

4_l.jpg
The attack that turns green is REV Blow. He enters a so-called hyper-armor state, allowing him to attack while being attacked by his opponent. By the way, it occurs in 26 frames.

This REV blow uses the REV gauge and also has the property that it can only be used during SPG. SPG is a system that activates when you select an SPG zone from the beginning, middle, or end of your health gauge before a battle, and your remaining health is in the selected zone. In addition to being able to use REV Blow during SPG, you can also gain benefits such as increased attack power and recovery of health gauge.

3_l.jpg
The yellow part of the health gauge is the SPG zone.

The fact that ERV Blow cannot be used unless the opponent is in SPG means that there is no need to worry about the REV Blow being returned unless the opponent is in SPG. As long as the REV gauge allows, you can apply pressure with REV Blow. If you can land an attack from there, REV Accel will do a lot of damage.

By the way, Rock Howard's aerial REV blow was advantageous by being guarded. It can also crush the opponent's anti-air attacks, and even if it is blocked, it can gain an advantage and attack further from there. Isn't that a pretty powerful move?

In addition to REV Blow, you can use "braking" to interrupt the movement of some special moves to block only the first hit of a special move and continue attacking, or "feint" to pretend to perform a special move. By incorporating it into a combination, you can develop a quick attack such as normal attack > feint > normal attack.

【breaking】
【feint】

By making full use of these systems, they can carry out speedy and intense attacks, so it seems difficult to outrun their attacks, but on the other hand, they also have powerful defense systems. These are "Just Defense", "Hyper Defense", and "REV Guard".

The most important one is just defense. Just Defense, which is activated by inputting a guard at the right time in response to an opponent's attack, will recover a little physical strength and decrease the REV gauge if successful, and will also allow you to cancel.

At first glance, it seems difficult to activate, but there seems to be a delay of about 5 frames. It's difficult to use, but if you practice, you'll be able to aim and activate it.

5_l.jpg
Don't just keep guarding, guard at the timing of the attack! Can be activated even in the air

The important thing about Just Defense is that it allows for guard cancellation. Guard Cancel is a system that interrupts the guard state when a Just Defense/Hyper Defense is successful and performs a special move, super special move (potential super special move), REV blow, etc. By just defending your opponent's attack and immediately unleashing a special move, you can counterattack right after the attack.

What's more, if you activate a super move with a guard cancel, it will occur faster, so it's quite powerful. Even defense can become a powerful means of attack.

[Guard Cancel]

This game is powerful both offensively and defensively. It looks like it will be fun to read each other at high speed, with the offense and defense reversing. Also, the fighting style, which combines REV accelerators with braking and feints, seems to have a high degree of strategic freedom, and there seem to be quite a lot of elements to get into.

In this trial run, we were not able to compete to the extent that we were able to fully utilize all the systems, but we have included videos of the battles provided by us, as well as videos of staff members competing against each other. Click here to see what kind of battles you can enjoy in this work.

[Fatal Fury City of the Wolves Rock vs. Hotaru]
[Fatal Fury City of the Wolves Terry vs Rock]

"Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves" is scheduled to be released in early 2025. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves from here.

Anthony...

• Like 2

Hi guys,

「餓狼伝説 City of the Wolves」EVOJ試遊ミニレポ:玄人好みなジャストガ重視システムが味わい深い! ファン待望のシリーズ最新作のシステム感想をお届け https://gamer.ne.jp/news/202404280009/ #餓狼伝説 #CotW
"Garou Densetsu City of the Wolves" EVOJ demo mini report: The Just Guard system that experts love is deep! We bring you our impressions of the system of the long-awaited latest series https://gamer.ne.jp/news/202404280009/ #餓狼伝説 #CotW
Was this translation accurate? Give us feedback so we can improve:

GMOhwsXbMAAWkA8?format=jpg&name=small

“Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” EVOJ trial play mini report: The justga emphasis system that experts like is tasteful!

Delivering system impressions of the latest series in the long-awaited series.

SNK brings you a mini-play report of the first trial play of the fighting game " Fatal Fury City of the Wolves " scheduled to be released in early 2025 .

table of contents
  1. Impressions of each system. The scent of a Jasuga-focused game that you haven't been able to experience lately.
  2. New system REV system. The timing of attack and defense is clear
  3. Overall review. An image of them hitting each other with a big shield.

At "EVO Japan 2024" held from April 27th, the world's first trial corner of "Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves" was held. In this article, I will introduce the feel of this work that I felt after participating in the trial play corner.

I'm sorry that I couldn't introduce everything about this game because I had limited time to play it, but I'd like to introduce you to the atmosphere and play feel of the game, so if you'd like, please watch until the end. I would like you to join me.

*This is a trial version under development, so the content may differ from the product version.

First, I would like to introduce my impressions after playing the game regarding the system aspect of this game. First, let's take a look at techniques that can be used commonly by all characters.

just defense

The first thing I noticed when I tried playing this game was that ``just defense is extremely important.'' Just Defense is a common technique that involves guarding in time with the opponent's attack timing, and its main effects are as follows.

• Recovers some physical strength
  • REV gauge (gauge for common actions) recovers
  • Guard cancel becomes possible

It really felt like the game was based on just defense, and I got the impression that it was a system that emphasized just guarding, which has been disappearing from fighting games these days.

“Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” EVOJ trial play mini report: The justga emphasis system that experts like is tasteful! Image of

Compared to other 2D fighting games, it is important to be able to just "guard", unlike parry-type operations that take special motions and block-type operations that require special inputs. The secret is that even if you fail, you can at least protect yourself. The risks are modest, but the benefits are large, so it makes you want to actively aim for just defense, and the point of evaluation is that the player can actively operate during the "Uke time", which tends to be a pain in competitive fighting games. I think.

However, if this system becomes too strong, both players will become constrained, so careful adjustments will be required in terms of difficulty and returns.

“Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” EVOJ trial play mini report: The justga emphasis system that experts like is tasteful! Image of

hyper defense

Hyper Defense, to put it simply, is "just defense against continuous attacks." For fighting gamers, it's something like ``just defense that can be done while guard is stiff.''

However, for continuous attacks, the lever must be moved forward rather than backward. It seems that the grace period for acceptance is a little short. Unlike Just Defense, the key is to press the lever ``before'' the guard state is released, and because the guard state is released, the risk is probably higher than in Just Defense. Although the level of difficulty is high, I think that this operation adds to the interaction of ``reading the combination that the opponent will select next'' in the battle.

guard cancel

Guard Cancel, which can only be activated from Just Defense, is a powerful system that allows you to activate special moves and super special moves from a guard state. In a fighting game, guarding means your opponent is in an attacking state, so in many situations this is the moment when you can definitely land an attack.

Furthermore, a super move activated from a guard cancel will start at 0F, so if you can activate a super move from just a guard, you will be sure to hit. As it stands now, I feel it's a bit difficult to see that super special moves can be connected reliably even from jump attacks and projectiles, but I'm sure this will be adjusted in the future.

breaking

Speaking of the "Fatal Fury" series of later years, this system was mentioned. It is a system that allows you to cancel the second half of the special move's motion and quickly connect it to the next action. This is a slightly subjective evaluation, but the point is that you can press as many buttons as you like.

You may be thinking, "Oh, that's all?", but I personally think it's quite important, and pressing the buttons as many times as possible leads to a feeling of exhilaration when operating the device.

Braking is also very useful in combos. Connect while canceling various special moves. Braking is also very useful in combos. Connect while canceling various special moves.

The controls themselves are as simple as ``pressing a special move and then a light attack at the same time,'' so although it's ``busy,'' it's not ``difficult.'' With practice, anyone should be able to do it.

It also has a strong anti-system aspect of just defense, and by canceling the second half of the multi-stage move, you can take advantage of the opponent's hyper defense.

feint

Literally, it's a feint using a special move motion. In this game where just defense is strong, it seems necessary to utilize this feint.

Cancel with a weak feint Cancel with a weak feint Continue the attack. Movements like this are also possible. Continue the attack. Movements like this are also possible.

It's just a personal hobby, but I like reading the thoughts of others when they're being manipulated, and I got the impression that this feint would be a fun way to read each other's thoughts. From the simple act of performing a feint, various thoughts run through my mind, such as whether my opponent wants to use this technique, or whether he is aiming for something completely different. Feints are short overall movements and can be performed easily, so I'd definitely like to have fun playing with those tactics.

New system REV system. The timing of attack and defense is clear

Lastly, I would like to briefly introduce the new system introduced in this work, the "REV System." The actions that can be performed using the REV gauge are as follows.

• REV Arts = So-called enhanced special moves
  • REV Accel = so-called Special Move Cancellation Special Move
  • REV Guard = so-called reinforced guard
  • REV Blow (can only be used at certain health points) = Rush attack with super armor

You can take quite a variety of actions, so you have a lot of freedom when you have enough gauge. Among them, REV Axel is also excellent in terms of production, and when you cancel a special move and perform another special move, the previous special move remains as an afterimage. The visuals that connect the combos while producing afterimages one after another are simply cool, and when watching the game, it's very easy to understand that ``I just canceled the special move with the REV accelerator.''

“Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” EVOJ trial play mini report: The justga emphasis system that experts like is tasteful! Image of “Fatal Fury City of the Wolves” EVOJ trial play mini report: The justga emphasis system that experts like is tasteful! Image of

A feature of the REV system is that ``as you use it, the gauge fills up, and if you use it too much, it will overheat.'' If you overheat, your Guard Crash Gauge will be depleted, so you won't be able to keep a calm guard. Therefore, I get the impression that the system makes the timing of each other's attacks and defenses clear, such as attacking flashily when the REV system is accumulated, and aiming for just defense that can recover the REV gauge when it is on the verge of overheating.

Overall review. An image of them hitting each other with a big shield.

Finally, I would like to conclude this review by sharing my overall impressions. Overall, I had the impression that this game had a strong defense system. In particular, it seems that skill in defense is directly linked to the winning rate, especially with the Just Defense → Occurrence 0F super special move. Using their strong defenses as shields, they fight each other, giving the impression that they are ``hitting each other with giant shields.'' Although I had the impression that it was for experts, the operability and presentation were well-done, so even those who want to play Garou Legend for the first time will find it easy to get into.

Freelance writer who loves fighting games. I play a wide range of games from Famicom to PS5. Memorable games include Persona 4, Sakura Wars 2, GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2, and Valkyria Chronicles. When playing a game, we tend to focus on the game's uniqueness, unique features, and challenging elements, rather than the graphics. I think games where you can do combos are definitely fun.

read more

(C)SNK CORPORATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

*Published based on information announced by the manufacturer. The images posted may include items that are currently under development.

Anthony..

Been playing these two awesome games today(burned copies).

Magician Lord and Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits(English translated by Jeff Nussbaum aka MoriyaMug).

Both games should get a re-release in my opinion, as PixelHeart have done recently with some NEO-GEO CD titles.

maglord1.JPG

maglord2.JPG

maglord3.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, shane857 said:

Been playing these two awesome games today(burned copies).

Magician Lord and Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits(English translated by Jeff Nussbaum aka MoriyaMug).

Both games should get a re-release in my opinion, as PixelHeart have done recently with some NEO-GEO CD titles.

Glad you're enjoying Magician Lord Shane. My absolute favorite game for the Neo-Geo. That will always be number 1 in my books bro. There was supose to be a Magician Lord 2, but that was scrapped sadly.  

Anthony..

• Like 2

Hi guys,

ECサイト リニューアルキャンペーン 【BAMBAM GAMEMONSTERオンラインストア】にて 税込¥3,000以上のお買い上げごとに グリーンハウス書き下ろし "KOF XIII GM 特製シール"を 1枚プレゼント 全6種 ※送料はお買い上げ金額の対象外となります。 #BGMT
 EC site renewal campaign  For every purchase of ¥3,000 or more (tax included) at the [BAMBAM GAMEMONSTER Online Store]  Green House's original "KOF XIII GM special sticker" 1 free card  6 types in total  ※ Shipping costs are not included in the purchase price. #BGMT

GMVLm-5bwAAtrnT?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..

Hi guys,

KOF XIII GM商品 こちらも大好評 【マイクロファイバーバスタオル】 約 H120cm × W60cm ¥2,640(税込) 『その「タオル」の力、 もしかしたらs要になるかもしれないからネ 今は預けておいてあげるヨ♪』 Half Anniversary Thanks Sale開催中 表示価格より40%OFF #BGMT
 KOF XIII GM products  This is also very popular   [Microfiber bath towel] Approximately H120cm x W60cm   ¥2,640 (tax included) "The power of that towel, I might need it later, so I'll leave it with you for now ♪ 』  Half Anniversary Thanks Sale now on  40% OFF the listed price  #BGMT

GMUZBRRb0AAkf0s?format=jpg&name=small

GMUYG_iaUAAkubx?format=jpg&name=small

Anthony..