IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Back again listening to Neo-Geo soundtracks. This morning, were back with Professor G, who was courteous by doing another complete OST from the MVS/AES title, "Viewpoint". If you have time to revert on the pages here, you'll notice the other amazing soundtracks that this gentleman has to offer. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQyOOaF5cw

Tracklist: [#105]

00:04 - Eye Catch Sammy
00:11 - Title
00:29 - Instruction
00:49 - Area 1 [Not All There]
02:11 - Boss [F.O.B.]
04:22 - Area 2 [un Caillou Ricochet]
08:38 - Area 3 [be Your Age!]
10:54 - Area 4 [Ass Back Wards]
14:04 - Area 5 [La Nervatura M.]
18:17 - Area 6 [Physical Daydream]
21:37 - Final [F.O.B. -Biotron Mix- ]
23:23 - Ending [Mes Volutes Bleus]
25:46 - Name Entry
28:18 - Continue

Composers: Sizlla, Masaki Kase, Megumi M.
Developer: Aicom/ Sammy
Publisher: Sammy/ SNK
Release Date: Dec 11, 1992 (JP/NA), March 1993 (EU)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

My Atomiswave went the way of the Dodo, so I'm in a market for a new one. The system is quite unreliable long term for some reason. It's a fun platform, but ultimately it's for SNK fans looking to continue where the MVS left off. The PGM is quite fun, but there aren't too many heavy hitters.

Anthony if you're interested in these platforms, do what I did and get yourself a SuperGun.

• Like 3

Yeah, but I kind of want to get away from the neo geo franchises--otherwise if I just wanted more of those games, I'd complete my kof, ss, and ms collections on neo geo.

Sadly, since nothing's going to be nearly as good in the home as a neo geo, it's about picking a distant second best. They each have their issues, IMO:

• naomi: Great games, but looks hugely complex to set up with control harnesses, etc. Many games that require special controllers
  • f3: I really like the shmups but don't have my monitor vertical. (and I strangely don't see an option in my framemeister for it)
  • pgm: not many 'big name' games, not much stronger than mvs.
  • atomiswave: just more mvs
  • st-v: awesome saturn ports greatly reduces the attractiveness of the system, imo.

If I had more space, it'd be an easier call--I'd want a naomi 2 driving cabinet. There are so many good racers on naomi.

I personally just purchased an Atomiswave to play the Neo titles, since it is the hardware that SNK chose to use following the Neo Geo MVS! I have Metal Slug 6 and KOF Neo Wave and so far the games are awesome except I have to play it with only the 4 buttons due to the MVS only having 4 buttons. I did get it to work on my multicade but I am unable to give more credits, sigh! Oh well, I guess I will be only playing with 4 buttons.

• Like 2

My Atomiswave went the way of the Dodo, so I'm in a market for a new one. The system is quite unreliable long term for some reason. It's a fun platform, but ultimately it's for SNK fans looking to continue where the MVS left off. The PGM is quite fun, but there aren't too many heavy hitters.

Anthony if you're interested in these platforms, do what I did and get yourself a SuperGun.

Yeah the battery was dead when I got mine, just had to replace it, Is that the problem you had with yours?

Yeah the battery was dead when I got mine, just had to replace it, Is that the problem you had with yours?

Lots went wrong with the board. Basically it no longer registered Neo sticks, and the display burnt out completely. The most bizarre part of all of this is that the system looks brand spanking new. It's extremely odd. I was a big Atomiswave fan too, and own all the SNK-made games for it. Shame really. James from Jamma-Nation X was telling me that it's common for the diodes to cause damage to the board, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened in my case. It has to be as the Jamma connector is flawless, and I don't get any input from the sticks. I've tried both the Jamma and the VGA and I don't get signal from either one.

Hi Jarrod.

Like your Atomiswave, my Supergun went the way of the dudo as well. Its been malfunctioning for a few weeks before it went "kaput". :( I'm shipping it out to a friend next mouth to have it repaired seeing he was the one that assembled it 4 years ago.

As for the Atomiswave itself., I always wanted one since it was able to be consolized. Like you mention, its a must for Neo-Geo/SNK fans. Plus I like the Rumble Fish series on it as well. :-D

Anthony...

• Like 1

I personally just purchased an Atomiswave to play the Neo titles, since it is the hardware that SNK chose to use following the Neo Geo MVS! I have Metal Slug 6 and KOF Neo Wave and so far the games are awesome except I have to play it with only the 4 buttons due to the MVS only having 4 buttons. I did get it to work on my multicade but I am unable to give more credits, sigh! Oh well, I guess I will be only playing with 4 buttons.

That's awesome Aaron. I can't wait to see those single credit runs for MS6 and Neo Wave! I'll be getting the pretzels and soda pop ready! :-D

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi Jarrod.

Like your Atomiswave, my Supergun went the way of the dudo as well. Its been malfunctioning for a few weeks before it went "kaput". :( I'm shipping it out to a friend next mouth to have it repaired seeing he was the one that assembled it 4 years ago.

As for the Atomiswave itself., I always wanted one since it was able to be consolized. Like you mention, its a must for Neo-Geo/SNK fans. Plus I like the Rumble Fish series on it as well. :-D

Anthony...

I'm not sure what SuperGun you have, but what is great with my Jamma-Nation one is that it allows me to use Saturn controllers, so I can hook up my HSS-0130 to player 1 and 2 and it works perfectly. This way you have all 5 buttons, and don't need to use the select button on the Neo stick. I always found that annoying for Atomiswave games, especially since most SuperGuns use the select as the coin-in button. Anyways, there's an Atomiswave I can pick up that's been tested for about $100, which is a pretty good deal. I've wanted to review all my Atomiswave games for a while now, but for one reason or another I never got around to it. I even opened the motherboard up and don't see any visible signs of damage, but clearly something is up as everything else I throw at my SuperGun works perfectly from PCBs, to CPS-II games to my one-slot MVS. I might actually just pick that Atomiswave up and see if the problem persists on that model. $100 isn't bad for the mobo, and since I don't need games, I think I'll just go ahead and do that later this week.

• Like 1

LOL....Well I'm happy you got for you that you got it to work Jess. But Yeah, Mr. Do is a strange game. But a fun one no doubt and worth playing it over and over again! :-D

Anthony...

I have a more jaundiced view of the game, as evidenced by my review:

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2015/10/cirque-du-so-lame-ballad-of-neo-mr-do.html

It's... okay. There's too much artistic license to make it feel like an authentic sequel and some of the animations just plain freak me out. It's playable, just not amazing.

• Like 1

Hey Anthony,

You mentioned rumble fish for the atomiswave, is it any good? I'm debating between rumble fish or kof xi!I have personally never played either on an arcade system.

Hi Aaron,

I use to play both versions 1 & 2 at the arcades plenty of times. The franchise reminded me of the World Heroes series. Is it better than KOF XIII? Not in my opinion.... But its a fun fighter that will keep you busy for awhile. Here's two videos regarding them both for your convenience Aaron to show how enjoyable the pair are. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what SuperGun you have, but what is great with my Jamma-Nation one is that it allows me to use Saturn controllers, so I can hook up my HSS-0130 to player 1 and 2 and it works perfectly. This way you have all 5 buttons, and don't need to use the select button on the Neo stick. I always found that annoying for Atomiswave games, especially since most SuperGuns use the select as the coin-in button. Anyways, there's an Atomiswave I can pick up that's been tested for about $100, which is a pretty good deal. I've wanted to review all my Atomiswave games for a while now, but for one reason or another I never got around to it. I even opened the motherboard up and don't see any visible signs of damage, but clearly something is up as everything else I throw at my SuperGun works perfectly from PCBs, to CPS-II games to my one-slot MVS. I might actually just pick that Atomiswave up and see if the problem persists on that model. $100 isn't bad for the mobo, and since I don't need games, I think I'll just go ahead and do that later this week.

Wow, you can pick up that Atomiswave for a $100 bucks really is a good deal Jarrod. Lately, I've been it seeing it going up in value again and wanted to buy one when the time is right. Its been on my wanted items for quite awhile. Now that were all been congregating on the topic, I should bump it to my top three "to purchase list" because the games have been the same for the last 3 three years in prices.

I'm always amazed on what Jamma-Nation can do for customizing the works of what the buyer has in mind. They can turn aluminum into gold if they wanted to. If I didn't go that far in regards to using Sega Saturn controllers. Its a basic unit that I didn't pore too much into consideration for the specs that I wanted because I was really dedicated to the AES at the time. But Jamma Nation will be on my mind if I want to get involved with another unit once more! :)

Atomiswave is supported by one of the Dreamcast emulators, although performance greatly varies by game. If you've got a decent graphics card, Dolphin Blue (imagine Metal Slug, with more anime-like graphics and dolphins instead of tanks) runs exceptionally well. I think I played a side-scrolling beat 'em up that didn't work nearly as well though. You can forget King of Fighters Neowave, but that game sucks balls anyway.

• Like 1

Hi Aaron,

I use to play both versions 1 & 2 at the arcades plenty of times. The franchise reminded me of the World Heroes series. Is it better than KOF XIII? Not in my opinion.... But its a fun fighter that will keep you busy for awhile. Here's two videos regarding them both for your convenience Aaron to show how enjoyable the pair are. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTT63mbytq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGaG_Cpcck

Anthony...

Thanks forlinking the videos, I think I'll give Rumble Fish a try since I just bought kof neowave! Thanks for the input!

-Aaron

• Like 1

Atomiswave is supported by one of the Dreamcast emulators, although performance greatly varies by game. If you've got a decent graphics card, Dolphin Blue (imagine Metal Slug, with more anime-like graphics and dolphins instead of tanks) runs exceptionally well. I think I played a side-scrolling beat 'em up that didn't work nearly as well though. You can forget King of Fighters Neowave, but that game sucks balls anyway.

So true Jess about the emulator support with the Dreamcast Jess. As for Dolphin Blue. Another entertaining title that should receive more exposure of other on how finally detailed the game is.

Very informative article you did on Neo Mr. Do Jess. Everything is spot on on what you mention. Keep up the great work and will be reading more from you in the future. :)

Since were on the topic of Dolphin Blue. Might as well show a video of it! :-D

Anthony...

Dolphin Blue is one of my favorite games on the system. It's also quite pricey for those looking to get into the system. All this Atomiswave talk is really making me want to go out and play Dolphin Blue and Slug 6 again haha.

I have to warn everyone here that if you're going to purchase games for the Atomiswave you need to be extremely careful. There are countless fakes out there. Look up the serial numbers to ensure you're not buying a fake and then when the game arrives open it up and confirm the boards are real.

Atomiswave.jpg

Behold, my limited Atomiswave collection. I'm still missing a few key titles I'd like to pick-up, but I do have all five SNK-produced games on the platform and I'm quite proud that all of these games are legit. I played them so much my Atomiswave is dead haha. I know it's not Neo Geo related per say, but thought I would share just the same. There are about four or five more games I'd like to get for the system and then call it a day :)

From top left working our way to the top right we have, Knights of Valour, Samurai Shodown VI, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Metal Slug 6, The King of Fighters XI, The King of Fighters NeoWave, Dolphin Blue, and finally Demolish Fist.

• Like 1

Behold, my limited Atomiswave collection. I'm still missing a few key titles I'd like to pick-up, but I do have all five SNK-produced games on the platform and I'm quite proud that all of these games are legit. I played them so much my Atomiswave is dead haha. I know it's not Neo Geo related per say, but thought I would share just the same. There are about four or five more games I'd like to get for the system and then call it a day :)

From top left working our way to the top right we have, Knights of Valour, Samurai Shodown VI, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Metal Slug 6, The King of Fighters XI, The King of Fighters NeoWave, Dolphin Blue, and finally Demolish Fist.

HOLY VIDEO GAME COLLECTION BATMAN!!! :-o :-o :-o

That's a great sizable collection you have Jarrod! Thank you for sharing them with us and +1,000,000 thumbs up for you for having them! You don't see these types of collections around here and I envy you for having them! :) Don't worry, it pertains to SNK since they participated onto the unit! :-D

King of Fighters XI, MS6, and SS6 are fun games. Played themt a lot in Chinatown in NYC!!!

You're correct on the part of counterfeiters producing these games as well. In the past Ebay auctions, I notice that the labels were off with the sharpness with the image on the picturs, and the tops were tampered with. So yeah, we all need to be aware of it as well.

Will you be getting Fist of the North Star in the possible future? Fun fighting title!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Fun!

I didn't know of this system. Interesting labeled carts. It almsot looks like SNK planned to release them to the public...

Hi Cat.

The Atomiswave was developed by Sammy Corporation and it was based off of Sega's NAOMI board. SNK made a contract deal with Sammy to develop titles for the Atomiswave after the discontinuation of the Neo-Geo MVS & AES in 2004. Soon after, SNK signed a contract to make games for the Taito Type X platform(s).

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

HOLY VIDEO GAME COLLECTION BATMAN!!! :-o :-o :-o

That's a great sizable collection you have Jarrod! Thank you for sharing them with us and +1,000,000 thumbs up for you for having them! You don't see these types of collections around here and I envy you for having them! :) Don't worry, it pertains to SNK since they participated onto the unit! :-D

King of Fighters XI, MS6, and SS6 are fun games. Played themt a lot in Chinatown in NYC!!!

You're correct on the part of counterfeiters producing these games as well. In the past Ebay auctions, I notice that the labels were off with the sharpness with the image on the picturs, and the tops were tampered with. So yeah, we all need to be aware of it as well.

Will you be getting Fist of the North Star in the possible future? Fun fighting title!

Anthony...

Indeed as well as Guilty Gear X Version 1.5, Guilty Gear Isuka, The Rumble Fish, and the Rumble Fish 2. That should complete my Atomiswave set. So I was right, five more games haha. Some of those are quite rare though so it won't be for a little while yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pic. I have a few CPS-II and PGM games as well. I also have all six CPS-III games released. All I'm missing is space for some arcade cabs.

Hey what do we have here...

A box...interesting...

Looks like two well wrapped games. What could they be?

Awesome! Spin Master and Top Hunter, two games I've been looking for, for a long time now.

That's great--those two have specifically been pretty high on my list. Especially spin master. For whatever reason, 60 games in, I don't have a single platformer on neo yet. Weirdly I don't have any beat-em' ups either.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

That's great--those two have specifically been pretty high on my list. Especially spin master. For whatever reason, 60 games in, I don't have a single platformer on neo yet. Weirdly I don't have any beat-em' ups either.

I'm much like you. That's why I said ok enough is enough. I don't have 60 quite yet, but I'm starting to get up there now and figured it was about time I add these two to my ever growing Neo library. The next objective I has is to finally get Garou: Mark of the Wolves and SVC Chaos. Both of those have eluded me for years for some reason.

• Like 1