IGNORED

Setting up a 512k cart

Gazoo

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Game Cart #4. It's probably the last one as I've only got a few EA5 games left, not worthwhile making into a cart.

Anyone who wants to send me some games that I don't have in order to get enough for another cart is welcome to do so.

Binary file for burning and backwards file for running in Classic99 are attached in the zip file.

Have fun!

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_3390.gif

gallery_29515_833_3190.gif

Gamecart4.zip

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody else has seen one of those yet, Acadiel--Your package was the first with those in it. . .as one of the testers :) I still have to send one to Rasmus, Gazoo, and Matthew, as they were all involved in the design. . . :)

Edited by Ksarul

Damn! You guys have been busy! Got caught up with family stuff so I'm just checking in and I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm excited!

I bought a new PLCC puller and OMG it works a million times better than my old one. But, will have to wait til tomorrow to try anything out.

Cheers!

-Dano

I have the cartridge boards to put them into, Tempest. I believe Gazoo has put the ROM images up so that you can have Atrax burn them into an EPROM for you--then you just unite board, EPROM, and case to make your own beautiful multigame cart. :)

I just got about 100 of the bare boards that will support the 1M variant he used for the two game carts with the switches--and that don't require hacking the regular 512K board (an easy hack, but the newest board variant makes it even easier). I'm still waiting for the 32-pin sockets I need to finish assembling the boards to arrive--but it will be about six weeks before I build any of them as I plan to spend a lot of quality time with my kids this summer--and my hobby activities will be temporarily suspended while I do that.

• Like 1

I have the cartridge boards to put them into, Tempest. I believe Gazoo has put the ROM images up so that you can have Atrax burn them into an EPROM for you--then you just unite board, EPROM, and case to make your own beautiful multigame cart. :)

I just got about 100 of the bare boards that will support the 1M variant he used for the two game carts with the switches--and that don't require hacking the regular 512K board (an easy hack, but the newest board variant makes it even easier). I'm still waiting for the 32-pin sockets I need to finish assembling the boards to arrive--but it will be about six weeks before I build any of them as I plan to spend a lot of quality time with my kids this summer--and my hobby activities will be temporarily suspended while I do that.

Any idea on the cost of the boards?

An assembled board without the EPROM would be $16, shipped to a US address, Tempest. Atrax has reasonable fees for his EPROMs, and his service is fast.

That sounds more than reasonable. I'll have to look into this when you've got the boards ready.

This whole Mega Game Cart project is interesting. I wonder if all these games would function properly (speed wise) with the 32K on the 16 Bit Buss modification? If so, I might be tempted to convert a spare console, add an F18A and have a 'modern-retro' all-in-one dedicated gaming console.

While going through all my disks looking for something I never did find :(, I came across 3 disks of Educational carts converted to EA5 format. These could be compiled into another 512k cart Rom image. Is there interest in this?

Gazoo

While going through all my disks looking for something I never did find :(, I came across 3 disks of Educational carts converted to EA5 format. These could be compiled into another 512k cart Rom image. Is there interest in this?

Gazoo

Sure, why not! Do you mind sharing both the ROM image and disks? Having carts in EA5 format is pretty handy.

-Dano

Use a good PLCC extractor, not screwdrivers. :)

I second that. Tried it once, broke my PLCC socket, that was the last time.

Unfortunately, I thought I had a good puller but, I just bought another one and the action is much smoother. I think my previous one was broken to begin with. It required an extreme amount of effort. The new one still bends the pins though, errr....

I use a sharp dental pick (one end straight the other has a 45 degree bend). I use that tool every time I touch electronics, super handy, tiny, and fairly strong.

Cheers!

I just got about 100 of the bare boards that will support the 1M variant he used for the two game carts with the switches--and that don't require hacking the regular 512K board (an easy hack, but the newest board variant makes it even easier).

A note on flipping the switch on the double game carts.

Be on one of the game menu screens (the ones with all the letters for the game choices), then flip the switch, then press fctn9 to quit. That will insure that the 378 is set to the first bank, and you'll actually get the other menu. Otherwise you may have to power off and back on to bring up the menu.

Gazoo

Had nothing to do for a few hours and decided the 512k Utility cart was missing something, Editor/Assembler.

So I hot glued an EA Grom to the bottom of the 512k cart board and soldered the jumper wires to make it work.

Now I get the EA cart on the menu in addition to the utilities menu.

It's not that difficult to do if anyone wants to add it to their cart.

Pic of bottom of cart board is included. Comments regarding my soldering skills are NOT allowed. :)

Seems there's room on that side of the board for a Grom socket. :evil:

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_8040.jpg

gallery_29515_833_6613.jpg

• Like 2

Had nothing to do for a few hours and decided the 512k Utility cart was missing something, Editor/Assembler.

So I hot glued an EA Grom to the bottom of the 512k cart board and soldered the jumper wires to make it work.

Now I get the EA cart on the menu in addition to the utilities menu.

It's not that difficult to do if anyone wants to add it to their cart.

Looks like a fun little addition! A step that has helped me solder chips like this is to clip the narrow portion of each lead so that you are soldering wires to the remaining, wider pieces. I started clipping legs when adding 384K to Geneves. Primarily to reduce the risk of shorting a pin below, later as a way to simplify the solder job. Your soldering iron will need a moderately smaller tip to avoid bridging the leads.

• Like 1

Gazoo

Finally getting around to this. Here's the first draft menu. I tried to pick the best out of the working ones.

gallery_29515_833_21026.jpg

Disk images attached for Dano.

Some Carts don't work. :(

EDU1.dsk

EDU2.dsk

EDU3.dsk

Gazoo