IGNORED

Protector: RESURGENCE coming to the Atari Jaguar!

Songbird

I agree.

And the fact that this is regionally limited as well as numerically, makes this doubly worse for your non-domestic customers.

Not a JagCD owner myself anyway, but although it is cool to see a new release I am not a friend of limited runs. I don't think it's good to have some graphics exclusive to a limited run. What's the benefit in leaving Jag fans who can't attend CGE or are too late to order whatever is left after the event with a version missing a few graphics? Just a loss for fans.

I had hoped others would follow the idea Jagware/Reboot started with their Jagtopus games, getting rid of unnecessary limitations that only benefit eBay scalpers later. So this is kind of disappointing for a CD release.

• Like 3

Not a JagCD owner myself anyway, but although it is cool to see a new release I am not a friend of limited runs. I don't think it's good to have some graphics exclusive to a limited run. What's the benefit in leaving Jag fans who can't attend CGE or are too late to order whatever is left after the event with a version missing a few graphics? Just a loss for fans.

I had hoped others would follow the idea Jagware/Reboot started with their Jagtopus games, getting rid of unnecessary limitations that only benefit eBay scalpers later. So this is kind of disappointing for a CD release.

That's what makes it a limited edition :) I could see reason for complaint if this expansion was ONLY released at CGE, but I think it's fair to have a special release for those at the show and then a general release everyone can enjoy.

That's what makes it a limited edition :) I could see reason for complaint if this expansion was ONLY released at CGE, but I think it's fair to have a special release for those at the show and then a general release everyone can enjoy.

I disagree with that. I would like to see a special release for longtime Songbird customers instead. I've bought tons of stuff from Carl over the last 12 years, including all the Jaguar stuff, and plenty of Lynx items from his store, but there is no way I can make it to Vegas. I'll buy the 'regular' edition regardless, but it's really crappy to see a random set of already fortunate folks get a special edition just because they have the time and money to make it to Las Vegas.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

I disagree with that. I would like to see a special release for longtime Songbird customers instead. I've bought tons of stuff from Carl over the last 12 years, including all the Jaguar stuff, and plenty of Lynx items from his store, but there is no way I can make it to Vegas. I'll buy the 'regular' edition regardless, but it's really crappy to see a random set of already fortunate folks get a special edition just because they have the time and money to make it to Las Vegas.

Again, that's what makes it a limited edition. It's for people who go to CGE. If everyone got it, it wouldn't be limited. Either way, it's just a video game.

I'm assuming the extras are included from Wave 1 and not at the start of the additional Waves. Either way I will buy a copy. This is right down my street as Defender 2K is my fave Jag title and I really enjoy the Protectors too.

I think a copy of the limited run should be included in the case with the regular run... :grin:

Yeah, but that doesn't change my original point that a limited edition with extra contemt, no matter how small, is by default not a good thing, especially if limited to an audience that has the chance to attend an event. It's just artificially splitting the copies of a game for an already small fanbase into a desirable full version and a lesser regular edition.

It really goes against what is good about the change of attitude in the Jag homebrew scene, getting rid of artificllial rarity an just giving the already tiny Jag fanbase a chance to buy and enjoy new games equally.

Jut because it happens with other games too and happened in the past doesn't make it a positive thing. Screw limitations and artificial rarity, this is not the big industry wanting to maximise profit. Let everyone who has supported the Jaguar for 21 years now get the same goods instead of creating disappointment about missing out on content and not being able to put a piecein your collection for no reason other than a pointless LE. The only understandable limitation is based on costs an work involved, for example when you have to decide on a number of cartsto be made and can't manufacture just five more after that. Other limitations are a disservice to fans.

Edited by 108 Stars

Personally, I've never seen a problem with special edition games like this for special events and when it really comes down to it, only a handful of graphics will most likely be different that probably have very little or no effect on actual game play (such as maybe a slightly different CD cover stating it's a limited edition, or intro artwork and credits signifying it's part of CGE) or other slightly goofy alterations.

Bottom line is, the differences will be moot really. It's just a fun way to create something special for CGE attendees and if you're one that feels the need to collect each and every piece of Jaguar variations, I'm sure it'll pop up sometime in the future. Price on the other hand, nothing comes without hurting the wallet in most cases for any Jaguar collector but everyone already goes into it full well knowing the Jaguar isn't a cheap system to collect for.

• Like 1

Clint has it right -- honestly, I'm just doing the CGE edition for fun, because CGE has been a huge part of Songbird all the way back to when I started in 1999. I've even had a number of fans ask for more releases like this over the years. I also very much appreciate fans I have never met face to face but have remained faithful Jaguar supporters, which is why there is also an unlimited release.

Just to make it clear, the CGE version is not "superior" or "expanded" compared to the unlimited release. The CGE version says "CGE" in a few places (see screenshot in the first post for an example), whereas the unlimited release does not. No exclusive backgrounds, no exclusive enemies, no exclusive waves, etc., so gameplay is 100% identical and appearance is 99.9% identical. It's a trivial cosmetic change, and that's it.

Hopefully my track record shows that I have worked very hard to keep my games in stock for the past 15 years and not drive up the prices for Jaguar fans. Well, I've had some supply issues with my Lynx games for 2-3 years, but that should be rectified in time for CGE. :)

If you choose not to support this release because you disagree with the premise of a CGE release and unlimited release, I understand your rationale and I respect that. Either way, I want to thank all the fans that have stuck with the Jaguar and with Songbird over the years! You're an awesome community to support! :)

• Like 10

will this be coming with the usual bloated price tag for shipping to overseas fans?

for me it is very disappointing to pay say 20 - 40 $ for an item then have to pay another 40 $ for postage just because i don't live near to the source where it could have quite easily be sent out for 10$ or below.

so i think the statement of not driving up the price for jaguar items is not quite true. the game itself is an acceptable price, however the postage cost for overseas people make the game or item quite undesirable

Shipping prices are beyond my control; the US Post Office has dramatically increased prices over the past decade. Plus, they will not provide tracking unless you purchase Priority Mail International, which is now what I exclusively use. There is no option to ship a game from the USA to Europe for $5, since most shipments within the USA cost more than that. USA to France without tracking would be a minimum of $12-15.

I used to ship international packages as cheap as possible, but the lack of tracking meant if a package did not arrive, then I replaced it. This happened numerous times, and I replaced all the lost games at my expense every time. Since I switched to Priority Mail International, I have never had to replace a shipment. To help offset the higher cost, I offer flat-rate international shipping, so it's easy for international customers to purchase multiple games with no extra shipping.

For a situation like this, where a fan may only want to purchase a single newly released game, I will offer a decreased shipping amount but it will still be using Priority Mail. I did the same thing when Robinson's Requiem was released a few years ago. Another option will be to buy from Nick @ 16/32 Systems, as he is pretty consistent when it comes to ordering new Songbird releases.

Convince the USPS to internationally ship items under 0.5kg for $15 or less, with tracking, and I will gladly pass on the savings to my customers. :)

• Like 4

Ive been lucky enough to get all SB jag releases here in the UK and less fortunate on a couple of SB lynx titles as I held out to get them here rather than pay these high shipping prices. This might be about to change depending on how long I'm prepared to wait! However I'm planning to see nick Harlow in person soon so will ask if he's going to stock it.

Just to make it clear, the CGE version is not "superior" or "expanded" compared to the unlimited release. The CGE version says "CGE" in a few places (see screenshot in the first post for an example), whereas the unlimited release does not. No exclusive backgrounds, no exclusive enemies, no exclusive waves, etc., so gameplay is 100% identical and appearance is 99.9% identical. It's a trivial cosmetic change, and that's it.

To be honest, I would have thought that this would have been really obvious from the outset. I wouldn't have expected there to have been any in-game changes tbh, or additional content. Just different packaging, label and the usual bits (Music CD, other extra's etc). But, It's actually cool that you have made non-game altering in-game mods, such as random CGE logo's. Nicely done.

Also, to touch on the complaints re: shipping.

It's always MUCH cheaper to ship overseas WITHOUT tracking or recording the package, as there is much less involved for both couriers involved. However, if that package should go missing, it is solely the responsibility of the SENDER to replace or refund the package if it should go missing.

Although minimal insurance is often offered regardless, the 'holes' uninsured, untracked shipping offers still enables the wrong types of scumbag individual to take advantage, which still makes it a time consuming process for the seller, even if he can claim his money back from the courier service in the event of a 'not yet received' claim from the recipient.

Certainly, tracked shipping is much more expensive, however, it creates a much smoother, less problematic process for all parties involved...

The whole CGE limited edition thing... it's a non-issue. You really shouldn't give it another thought Carl. Songbird titles are pretty much always in stock. We can expect that this expansion will be available to anyone that wants it going forward. How much extra will someone pay to see a CGE banner in the game? I'm thinking not much. Personally I would only be interested in it if I actually went to CGE. In general it is not something that really fits with the theme of the game. It doesn't blend in like an ad in a racing game. It isn't something that should be in a general release. If the game itself was going to be incredibly limited and a small subset of them were signed copies with exclusive graphics I could see some validity to the complaints. As it is I think it sucks that Carl is catching so much flack when we should all be excited by this unique release he is putting out more than a decade after he started on it. I'm just glad it will no longer be sitting in the dustbin of unreleased Jag games.

So, normally I would agree, but I think this special release for CGE isn't a slight on everyone else not going to CGE, but an incentive (in his own way) to help support CGE so that people will want to go to CGE. I am a little bummed that I won't be able to get the special one! heh... but I'll still order the other CD when it becomes available to us.

will this be coming with the usual bloated price tag for shipping to overseas fans?

for me it is very disappointing to pay say 20 - 40 $ for an item then have to pay another 40 $ for postage just because i don't live near to the source where it could have quite easily be sent out for 10$ or below.

so i think the statement of not driving up the price for jaguar items is not quite true. the game itself is an acceptable price, however the postage cost for overseas people make the game or item quite undesirable

Yeah, be glad you don't live in Canada with regard to shipping. Not sure I understand it, but Canada tacks on a crazy tariff or tax to everything that's shipped through the country.

Either way, one option might be to sell a lot of them to one of the European resellers. The shipping could be greatly reduced simply by shipping ~30 of them at one time (for example)... and then you guys could buy from that reseller. Just a thought.

On a side note... I want to say thanks to Songbird... I've bought ALL of the Songbird releases... ALL of them, and I've been very happy with all of them... I'm just thrilled that I can keep buying games for the Jag. I also think it's interesting how he was able to get this new Protector CD to run while using the engine from the cartridge... very interesting...

Edited by 82-T/A