IGNORED

Huge trash find of vintage video game boxes

OriginalPSP

All this banter is getting really old. It's not the mid-90's anymore where things could be acquired for next to nothing... unless of course you find stuff sitting out in the garbage. I get the feeling that originalPSP choose the eBay route to avoid the BS that can, will and probably already has been going on.

I'm not innocent either. I made him an offer which I thought was very fair for the one remaining box that I need. Now, i'm glad he didin't accept so that I can duke it out on eBay. Fun times a coming!

The whole EBay VS Marketplace argument has no definative right answer. I have sold many items on both places. I have also sold duo ate items in both that sold for much more in both places. Some items sold for twice as much on Ebay and some I got offers of twice as much as what others or what I sold them for.

There is no right answer with this. It is more what the OP is more comfortable with, being a newb I can certainly understand wanting to use EBay.

Btw, on your Facebook someone said that the Q-Bert Qubes box may be worth $500. No way you will get anywhere near that. A complete copy is worth around $325-375. Just want to make sure you have a realistic expectation.

I call bullshit. If you found that many Precious Moments figures you'd have them arranged at a tea party inside of fifteen minutes. :) Lol!

I do love a good tea party, and I have a soft spot for large collections, no matter what they are, just so fun to organize! I swear sometimes I care more about completing my daughters lalaloopsy set then she does ;)
  • Like 2

The whole EBay VS Marketplace argument has no definative right answer. I have sold many items on both places. I have also sold duo ate items in both that sold for much more in both places. Some items sold for twice as much on Ebay and some I got offers of twice as much as what others or what I sold them for.

There is no right answer with this. It is more what the OP is more comfortable with, being a newb I can certainly understand wanting to use EBay.

I thought about this. Many years ago I had a collectible toy business that was big on eBay and much like you said, there were items that went for far more than I could have got offline and some that went for less. I figure in this case it would balance out somewhere, though.

Hardly a newb, though...heh. Gamer of 33+ years who makes his living talking about video games at live events and all over the media. Actually hosting a panel on preserving items just like these boxes at a local event here in three hours. I simply wish to go with eBay so I can sell these things at my own pace rather than deal with juggling multiple offers on 612 pieces all at once, with prices that vary all over the place. Collecting boxes just ain't my thing... I'm more into vintage licensed merch, promotional items and stuff like the old Coleco tabletops, etc. Besides, eBaying it all might just turn into a cool adventure :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on schedule, folks, to start this tomorrow night as planned. I'm likely going to post up on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night this week. Again, I appreciate everyone's input and help and let's have fun with this.

Hardly a newb, though...heh. Gamer of 33+ years who makes his living talking about video games at live events and all over the media. Actually hosting a panel on preserving items just like these boxes at a local event here in three hours. I simply wish to go with eBay so I can sell these things at my own pace rather than deal with juggling multiple offers on 612 pieces all at once, with prices that vary all over the place. Collecting boxes just ain't my thing... I'm more into vintage licensed merch, promotional items and stuff like the old Coleco tabletops, etc. Besides, eBaying it all might just turn into a cool adventure :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on schedule, folks, to start this tomorrow night as planned. I'm likely going to post up on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night this week. Again, I appreciate everyone's input and help and let's have fun with this.

Didn't mean to imply you were a"Newb" to the hobby, but to this site.

PSP - With all this talk about "preserving the boxes", will they be scanned and the images shared with sites like AtariAge? Many sites have the box images to preserve the image and your boxes might be in better condition in addition to there may be boxes that the sites do not yet have scanned images of. I hope that is in your plans otherwise there is little preservation, only profit. It would be a shame to lose this opportunity to scan flat box images in that condition.

• Like 1

PSP - With all this talk about "preserving the boxes", will they be scanned and the images shared with sites like AtariAge? Many sites have the box images to preserve the image and your boxes might be in better condition in addition to there may be boxes that the sites do not yet have scanned images of. I hope that is in your plans otherwise there is little preservation, only profit. It would be a shame to lose this opportunity to scan flat box images in that condition.

It really looks like this was a promotion ad more than anything else. He signed up to boost the sales on ebay of this lot of boxes not to share or preserve anything as a couple others have already mentioned.

Troy - Yes, that has been going on in the background.

Shawn - No, sir. I came here because AtariAge has the reputation as the go-to place for a find of this kind. It was not until late last week that I decided to hit eBay, mostly due to the stress it was causing me to juggle offers on 612 items that are difficult to value. When I promote things, I don't use internet forums to do it, as I have larger platforms to do that. While I can understand this is the internet, where things like benefit of the doubt don't exist, rest assured I came here for the input of experts here and little else. In fact, I largely decided to go the eBay route due to the input within this very thread.

The first auctions go live tonight.

• Like 1

Troy - Yes, that has been going on in the background.

Shawn - No, sir. I came here because AtariAge has the reputation as the go-to place for a find of this kind. It was not until late last week that I decided to hit eBay, mostly due to the stress it was causing me to juggle offers on 612 items that are difficult to value. When I promote things, I don't use internet forums to do it, as I have larger platforms to do that. While I can understand this is the internet, where things like benefit of the doubt don't exist, rest assured I came here for the input of experts here and little else. In fact, I largely decided to go the eBay route due to the input within this very thread.

The first auctions go live tonight.

May I apologize then, threads like this have come up many times over the years where the member was only looking to do guerrilla promotion and if that wasn't you intent here is hoping you stick around on AtariAge and continue to enjoy all things Atari.

• Like 1

May I apologize then, threads like this have come up many times over the years where the member was only looking to do guerrilla promotion and if that wasn't you intent here is hoping you stick around on AtariAge and continue to enjoy all things Atari.

No worries, man. I understand the skepticism, honestly... especially since on top of it all I have a reputation as a promoter. I embrace it, too, because its a fair thing to say.

But yeah, not why I came here. I don't really "do forums" anymore, really. But I'm liking this place thus far, too... so yeah, I may very well make it a regular stop. It'll take a while to move through all these boxes anyway :)

• Like 1

what will be the link for the auction?

I was just coming here to post that.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/originalpsp

I'm starting off with 20 or so auctions tonight... they start going live at 9pm Eastern, 6 Pacific (which is 8 pm for me in Central). International shipping, no reserves, all starting at 99 cents a pop. Tonight is mostly 2600 and ColecoVision with some random others thrown in. Kicking it off with a mix of rares and some commons (one common literally included in an attempt to make some of you giggle)

I currently plan to post some more tomorrow night and/or Wednesday night. Undecided about listings next week at this time.

This will be an adventure. Lets go :)

Just a word of advice...$9.87 for shipping is expensive for what you're selling and it might turn off most bidders.

Peace,

Chip

Note: Shipping price varies by location and is calculated by eBay. Also as I noted above, I'm taking some serious care in packing these up to ensure they arrive in the same condition they've managed to stay in for 30 years. I'm not just going to shove something like these into an envelope or something. Those extra materials are factored in that calculation, too.

Note: Shipping price varies by location and is calculated by eBay. Also as I noted above, I'm taking some serious care in packing these up to ensure they arrive in the same condition they've managed to stay in for 30 years. I'm not just going to shove something like these into an envelope or something. Those extra materials are factored in that calculation, too.

I sell collectibles on eBay for a living and am a Top-Rated Plus Gold Powerseller. I have sold hundreds of Atari items in the past but currently I sell mostly comic books, which weigh more than these boxes and are more prone to slight defects severely affecting value.

To ship a single comic book it costs me $3.99 (including packaging costs). You could ship several of your Atari boxes via Priority Mail, boxed and extremely well-protected for less than $6.50 to all parts of the USA. Priority packing supplies are free are are not only available at any post office but you can have them sent to you door for free.

I'm just trying to help you out here.

Peace,

Chip

Edited by marillion
  • Like 1