IGNORED

Huge trash find of vintage video game boxes

OriginalPSP

No worries, man. I understand the skepticism, honestly... especially since on top of it all I have a reputation as a promoter. I embrace it, too, because its a fair thing to say.

But yeah, not why I came here. I don't really "do forums" anymore, really. But I'm liking this place thus far, too... so yeah, I may very well make it a regular stop. It'll take a while to move through all these boxes anyway :)

I hope you do stay here- you do seem to care about more than just making a quick buck :)

As for the shipping on the listings, I don't think it's too high considering the fantastic condition of the box listings that have already gone up. I'm in the DC area and the shipping quote for the Vectrex Melody Master box (I've got the high bid so far) was just over $11. Given the shape of it and the fact that you'll be using excellent packaging, I'm okay with that. Don't worry too much about those complaining about high shipping- I'm sure we'll get what we pay for :)

Edited by Blazing Lazers

I hope you do stay here- you do seem to care about more than just making a quick buck :)

As for the shipping on the listings, I don't think it's too high considering the fantastic condition of the box listings that have already gone up. I'm in the DC area and the shipping quote for the Vectrex Melody Master box (I've got the high bid so far) was just over $11. Given the shape of it and the fact that you'll be using excellent packaging, I'm okay with that. Don't worry too much about those complaining about high shipping- I'm sure we'll get what we pay for :)

Shipping to Canada needs to be adjusted here, maybe it can be done when you send the actual invoice. $36.30 is too high for a single flat game box. I just paid $50 to have a large box containing 14 CIB games shipped from the US by another AtariAge member. $36.30 makes no sense in this case and will scare off potential Canuck buyers including myself unfortunately.

Shipping to Canada needs to be adjusted here, maybe it can be done when you send the actual invoice. $36.30 is too high for a single flat game box. I just paid $50 to have a large box containing 14 CIB games shipped from the US by another AtariAge member. $36.30 makes no sense in this case and will scare off potential Canuck buyers including myself unfortunately.

Shipping to and from Canada has never been cheap, at least not from or to DC. That being said, $36 really does seem high, unless it's extremely well packed and insured with tracking. I've had shipping costs from and to Canada quickly skyrocket when insurance and special delivery services were factored in. Still, if a Canadian buyer REALLY REALLY wants some of these pristine boxes even $36 on top of several hundred dollars isn't really going to be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Shipping to and from Canada has never been cheap, at least not from or to DC. That being said, $36 really does seem high, unless it's extremely well packed and insured with tracking. I've had shipping costs from and to Canada quickly skyrocket when insurance and special delivery services were factored in. Still, if a Canadian buyer REALLY REALLY wants some of these pristine boxes even $36 on top of several hundred dollars isn't really going to be a deal breaker.

Yeah maybe, but around $20 tops would be appropriate for a tracked insured envelope in the case of a rare item worth $$$. For a more common box that's a big expense though.

I don't usually complain but shipping is becoming more of a sore spot with me... lots of things I still don't get, like for example why it is so much quicker for something to go US-Canada vs Canada-US at the same shipping level. That's solely based on personal experience, maybe that's not everyone's experience. My current theory is that Canada Post sucks, but it's just a theory.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe, but around $20 tops would be appropriate for a tracked insured envelope in the case of a rare item worth $$$. For a more common box that's a big expense though.

I don't usually complain but shipping is becoming more of a sore spot with me... lots of things I still don't get, like for example why it is so much quicker for something to go US-Canada vs Canada-US at the same shipping level. That's solely based on personal experience, maybe that's not everyone's experience. My current theory is that Canada Post sucks, but it's just a theory.

For a more common box a collector wouldn't need to buy outside of their own country in the first place, unless the game was never released there originally. As for why shipping from the US to Canada seems quicker (it does btw, I've had similar impressions) I'd bet that packages leaving the US are of less concern than packages entering the US, as far as security concerns go. Both our postal systems are quite good and honest, especially compared to those in other parts of the world.

• Like 1

I sell collectibles on eBay for a living and am a Top-Rated Plus Gold Powerseller. I have sold hundreds of Atari items in the past but currently I sell mostly comic books, which weigh more than these boxes and are more prone to slight defects severely affecting value.

To ship a single comic book it costs me $3.99 (including packaging costs). You could ship several of your Atari boxes via Priority Mail, boxed and extremely well-protected for less than $6.50 to all parts of the USA. Priority packing supplies are free are are not only available at any post office but you can have them sent to you door for free.

I'm just trying to help you out here.

Peace,

Chip

The current priority mail boxes being given away for free by the USPS are of horrible quality. I regularly receive damaged items because they are almost completely unable to withstand any kind of bumping or weight. I certainly wouldn't ship comic books or other fragile paper collectibles in them as they will arrive bent. These boxes will similarly end up damaged unless they are properly packed and that means reinforced boxes with sufficient padding and rigid interior support.

For a more common box a collector wouldn't need to buy outside of their own country in the first place, unless the game was never released there originally. As for why shipping from the US to Canada seems quicker (it does btw, I've had similar impressions) I'd bet that packages leaving the US are of less concern than packages entering the US, as far as security concerns go. Both our postal systems are quite good and honest, especially compared to those in other parts of the world.

Ah yes, those darn customs guys, I forgot about them. They gave me problems every time I tried to get into your country (kidding - it was only half the time). Now of course I'm not even allowed into the US... no passport :-)

You're right, they are both pretty good. Although my last package was stepped on or something and two game boxes were ruined. Not sure if the perpetrator was Canadian or American though, I couldn't identify the boot print.

The current priority mail boxes being given away for free by the USPS are of horrible quality. I regularly receive damaged items because they are almost completely unable to withstand any kind of bumping or weight. I certainly wouldn't ship comic books or other fragile paper collectibles in them as they will arrive bent. These boxes will similarly end up damaged unless they are properly packed and that means reinforced boxes with sufficient padding and rigid interior support.

Absolutely, totally and completely false. Again, I do this kind of shipping FOR A LIVING and ship well over 125 packages a week. I have yet to have one item sent in a Priority Mail box damaged this year. Every one of the items I've sent out has been VERY well protected and has arrived safely. I'm not talking about 5-10 packages here...I'm talking about close to 4,000 packages this year alone with nearly 70% being both domestic and interational Priority Mail.

Peace,

Chip

Absolutely, totally and completely false. Again, I do this kind of shipping FOR A LIVING and ship well over 125 packages a week. I have yet to have one item sent in a Priority Mail box damaged this year. Every one of the items I've sent out has been VERY well protected and has arrived safely. I'm not talking about 5-10 packages here...I'm talking about close to 4,000 packages this year alone with nearly 70% being both domestic and interational Priority Mail.

Peace,

Chip

I probably buy 30+ items a month that come shipped in priority mail boxes. I would say I receive 2-3 a week that arrive damaged when they are shipped in priority mail boxes and this is from sellers who actually care and provide adequate packaging. It's great that you've been lucky, but it also could be that your buyers don't bother to complain. There are a couple of hardcore comic collectors I work with that have shared similar experiences in recent months. In fact, most of the major comic collector vendors they work with use recycled Diamond boxes that are double ply to ship higher value items because they have had a massive increase in claims since the USPS went to thinner boxes. Maybe we all live in a bad postal area of Los Angeles, but I kind of doubt it. In any event, for high value items, I always ask the seller to use a real box and I pay whatever extra costs are required to do that. Given the value of these items, there is no way anyone should be skimping on shipping.

• Like 1

Ouch ... yeah. $11 to ship a flattened box to Ohio via Parcel post? For those (like me) who were more interested in buying a few of the common ones, that's pretty high.

You may want to consider adding a First Class option. You could easily ship these safely, in a box, with padding for $5.00 total cost.

Not a complaint, just a recommendation from a potential bidder.

I will look into if anything can be done on the shipping and I appreciate the remarks. Of course, I cannot change the options on the already listed items that have bids, but if it's an issue there I'll toss in freebies or something. eBay is calculating the shipping based off the weight I input, which is the weight I got when I did a sample packing and, well, weighed it.

But also, to reiterate, I'm shipping these with backers and materials to protect them. Most of these are the nicest examples I've ever seen and I want them to arrive in the same condition I have them in here. If these were average condition boxes I wouldn't be taking the extra step. Having run two collectible businesses in the past, including a vintage toy business where I specialized in action figures still on the card: condition condition condition. I'm concerned most with condition here.

I see some people noting envelopes. I will not be shipping any of these in an envelope. I see what happens to items sent to me in envelopes, no matter how well labeled or packed, and none of them are minty and/or rare vintage video game boxes that were carefully stored for 30 years. These avoided the landfill once already, very much would like to keep it that way. I sometimes think my local post office makes a game of seeing how well they can crush and smash large envelopes in a competition that resembles a football pool.

I'm listing a second run of these tonight and will have adjusted shipping options based on options I can see in there and will use them going forward. I still have 592 more boxes to list. I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by OriginalPSP
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more. I have only ever been charged rates as high as this when the purchase has been large and/or heavy.

Combined shipping is being offered but this still infers that shipping 2 or more boxes to Canada will cost more than $36.30 which is still crazy.

I will look into if anything can be done on the shipping and I appreciate the remarks. Of course, I cannot change the options on the already listed items that have bids, but if it's an issue there I'll toss in freebies or something. eBay is calculating the shipping based off the weight I input, which is the weight I got when I did a sample packing and, well, weighed it.

Glad to hear that you'll be reviewing this. I do think that a First Class International option would help plus also some indication of how many game boxes can be included at the shipping rate quoted.

• Like 1

...including a vintage toy business where I specialized in action figures still on the card: condition condition condition. I'm concerned most with condition here.

That's a hobby I'm very familiar with. If you'll allow me to threadkrap for a post, I'm sure you'll appreciate these few pictures of mine. :-)

secretwars.jpg

67000case-finale.jpg

superherois.jpg

superamigos-group.jpg

Peace,

Chip

D'oh.

I see what I did on the shipping thing. I feel like that guy freaking out over the "mundane detail" in Office Space. I'd entered the wrong weight on the first auction and simply repeated the mistake 20 more times because I kept using "sell similar item" to save time listing.

It won't let me revise the auctions with bids on them, but if anyone wins one of those I'll adjust the shipping rate post-auction (if it will let me) or reimburse the difference. Still, don't expect 'stuffed in an envelope' shipping prices, either, as I'm still shipping this stuff as protected as possible as noted above.

Instead of doing a second batch tonight and a third batch tomorrow night, I am simply doing one more larger batch of auctions tonight (with the shipping adjustments made) and they will start going live at 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern, 7pm Central.

That link again is - http://www.ebay.com/usr/originalpsp

Glad someone outbid me on the 1 box i had. I quickly went through the bid thinking shipping was $1.xx not noticing it was $11.....

My interest is just in some common boxes to show on a book case - not collecting anything rare so a bubbleope would be more than fine shipping for me.

D'oh.

I see what I did on the shipping thing. I feel like that guy freaking out over the "mundane detail" in Office Space. I'd entered the wrong weight on the first auction and simply repeated the mistake 20 more times because I kept using "sell similar item" to save time listing.

It won't let me revise the auctions with bids on them, but if anyone wins one of those I'll adjust the shipping rate post-auction (if it will let me) or reimburse the difference. Still, don't expect 'stuffed in an envelope' shipping prices, either, as I'm still shipping this stuff as protected as possible as noted above.

Instead of doing a second batch tonight and a third batch tomorrow night, I am simply doing one more larger batch of auctions tonight (with the shipping adjustments made) and they will start going live at 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern, 7pm Central.

That link again is - http://www.ebay.com/usr/originalpsp

I always check shipping options before I bid

I always try to leave meaningful feedback & have star-dinged if I thought shipping was to high (before I knew of E-bay's Top Rated Sellers)

http://retroauction.com/secrets-of-an-ebay-top-rated-seller/

:) I'm glad you were able to catch your mistake.:) you sure can prolly add a note that shipping quote will be corrected to those individual auctions

I've received items in envelope with heavy corrugated cardboard along side and it was fine. also received in envelopes without added material & was fine also.

:thumbsup: they are in beautiful shape & all the best with your auction :thumbsup:

Glad someone outbid me on the 1 box i had. I quickly went through the bid thinking shipping was $1.xx not noticing it was $11.....

My interest is just in some common boxes to show on a book case - not collecting anything rare so a bubbleope would be more than fine shipping for me.

Please note my update on the shipping thing just a couple posts earlier.

Also, though... please note that the stuff I'm listing right now is the top condition stuff. There are some commons that are not in tip top shape that will be sold later on down the road, possibly in lots but we'll see when we get there. That stuff I would be happy to send envelope when the time comes. The stuff I'm listing now will be protected.