IGNORED

Huge trash find of vintage video game boxes

OriginalPSP

I always check shipping options before I bid

I always try to leave meaningful feedback & have star-dinged if I thought shipping was to high (before I knew of E-bay's Top Rated Sellers)

http://retroauction.com/secrets-of-an-ebay-top-rated-seller/

:) I'm glad you were able to catch your mistake. :) you sure can prolly add a note that shipping quote will be corrected to those individual auctions

I've received items in envelope with heavy corrugated cardboard along side and it was fine. also received in envelopes without added material & was fine also.

:thumbsup: they are in beautiful shape & all the best with your auction :thumbsup:

If you believe shipping is too high to begin with, why bother bidding and then leaving a bad star rating to the seller? You know beforehand what shipping is going to be, to buy the item anyway is not very intelligent to me if you already have issues. What is your ebay username so other sellers can go ahead and block you beforehand?

On another note, shipping in a bubble envelope for any item you want to be sure it arrives safely is not a wise thing to do. No matter how much protection you put in with the item, the process used to process mail and transport it simply is not reliable enough to hope it arrives safely. I have shipped over 10,000 packages and received thousands. I learned quickly to only use bubble envelopes for lightweight paperback books or individual carts that can be wrapped before putting in the envelope. I have received so many items in bubble envelopes that did not arrive in the condition they were sent out in. Some of these were very valauble boxed games that decreased the value by half.

If you believe shipping is too high to begin with, why bother bidding and then leaving a bad star rating to the seller? You know beforehand what shipping is going to be, to buy the item anyway is not very intelligent to me if you already have issues. What is your ebay username so other sellers can go ahead and block you beforehand?

As a seller myself, I don't see the point of over charging for shipping. I also don't see the point of having a rating for shipping charges if buyers should either give 5 stars or not buy the item at all. So my question is, what justifies giving a non-five star rating for shipping charges?

On the flip side, it is funny how sensitive some buyers are to shipping charges. Some buyers feel much better buying something for $20 + free shipping rather than buying the same item for $10 + $10 shipping. It is just a mental thing I guess.

I have received so many items in bubble envelopes that did not arrive in the condition they were sent out in. Some of these were very valauble boxed games that decreased the value by half.

I just received two boxed games packed tightly into a bubble envelope. Somehow one of the boxes was undamaged but the top one was crushed (luckily it was only a $20 game). Contacted the seller and asked for a $10 partial refund which they immediately approved. In the past I have had to request 50% refunds on some damaged high cost games and have always received the money back. Being in Canada, and buying most of my games from the US, makes return shipping prohibitive in most cases and so partial refunds have been my fall-back position. Nevertheless, I still do not understand why anyone would ship a cardboard boxed game in a bubble envelope - drives me nuts.

I don't bid if I think shipping is to high ( I check options before I bid)

I didn't know about the TRS thing at all thinking it was a simple survey.

now I do thanks to this article :) http://retroauction.com/secrets-of-an-ebay-top-rated-seller/

CHARGE EXACT SHIPPING (OR EVEN LESS!)

Plan and simple, eBay buyers hate to pay for shipping. Shipping is like a tax, and sellers who charge too much for shipping are like King George III. Buyers will have a good first impression of you if your shipping charges are reasonable, and they will be suspicious of you if charges run too high. Here is a good rule of thumb: use the “Flat: Same cost to all buyers” option if you are shipping by First Class Mail, and use the “Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location” option for everything else.

It seems as though everyone charges $4 to ship a single game. This practice began once eBay capped the shipping charges for certain categories, with videogames maxing out at $4.

It does not cost $4 to ship a single game.

I know the OP is doing his best & will be really fair on combined shipping for the items that will fetch a premium , I'm thinking about the guy who is just looking for ONE common title

I would think the OP with this many items to offer may be able to receive TRS status & I wish them all the best ;)

Shipping to Canada is still coming up at $31.60 even with the latest auctions.

if he is shipping via Priority Mail International, then the price sounds spot on. If First Class International is being used, then the cost should be about $11.

The problem with First Class International shipping from the US to Canada is that USPS does not offer tracking or insurance options which is really a joke and I only ship this way if the buyer says that is what he wants and therefore accepts all responsibility.

Edited by NIAD

Shipping to Canada is still coming up at $31.60 even with the latest auctions.

I suspect you were going to point out that it was $36.30 before and it is now $31.60 (my mistake). It is still way too high for a single light box to Canada. Nevertheless, if only actual shipping is charged at the end of the day then I'm good with that.

Yes, I'm doing all I can shipping-wise.

One thing to keep in mind, though, as I've stated is that I'm shipping these with tremendous protection. Heck, the majority of the shipping weight will be the protective materials. Photos don't do most of these justice condition-wise and if I have to encase them in carbonite I'm gonna. They've made it 30 years in this shape so far. Double backers and extra padding in a sturdy box is going to add weight to an otherwise light box, but I'd rather it survive.

Here's where I note, btw, that my eBay star rating for shipping and handling charges is a 5.0.... and I use the same "calculated" options for shipping price on everything else I list.

On the eBay account I had years back with much higher feedback (went with an old business when I sold it) I had a 4.9 s&h star rating with thousands of feedback.

Long story short... I'm taking care of this in the best way I can, especially for combined, and yeah... and if there's a big difference between the cost of packing materials & shipping and what eBay calculates, I'm gonna do the right thing. From what I've been dealing with since returning to eBay, though, they are pretty close to the mark.

Lot of activity so far and some of these look like they'll have interesting finishes. A big thank you to the community here for the continued input. My next batch of listings is planned for next Wednesday, October 1.

I prob won't be checking in here for a day or two, so reach out to me on there or my site if there are any questions, input or ice cold beer :)

Well is he putting a brick with the flat boxes?

Should only cost to ship like $4 at most

mannnnnn you USA people us such meticulous, came to croatia and look how much we pay shipping from USA 8 $ is almost like free shipping for me i pay from USA 15$ to ship 1 n64 controller and i'm happy to find it on such low price

Edited by S0nic

I think this is the same guy that posted on Facebook that a widow was throwing out her late husband's collection. And his friend took them without telling her that they are worth something. He was asking how to maximize his profit, where to sell etc. I asked if the lady was getting any of his profit, and the post was deleted.

I think this is the same guy that posted on Facebook that a widow was throwing out her late husband's collection. And his friend took them without telling her that they are worth something. He was asking how to maximize his profit, where to sell etc. I asked if the lady was getting any of his profit, and the post was deleted.

DOH!

God bless the internet, where people will tell the stories wrong 9 times out of 10.

This is not what was said.

My friend who noticed she was throwing them out went to ask her about them and did indeed (as I've posted in many places) tell her they had value. She did not care, she was throwing out everything in the attic. He was welcome to them, so he took them and called me. He, likewise, handed them off to me. He knows they have value as well, but didn't want to go through the effort.

You did not ask me anything, you suggested I was doing something wrong. I did not delete the thread. I blocked you and moved on. We don't know each other; seemed like the sensible course of action from my seat.

Not that I'm required to do anything of the sort as the owner of this stuff now, nor that it is any of your business, but yes.. as I've also said publicly, I won't be keeping all the money.

Edited by OriginalPSP
  • Like 2

Again on the shipping remarks... I appreciate the input, but also note these are not "just boxes". Most are mint. Shipping them in a bubble envelope or stacked in some common box would not ensure they'd arrive in proper condition. I am taking packing precautions that, yes, add to the weight and cost to ship to ensure they arrive in just as perfect condition as they leave in. I am just as interested in preservation as I am in value here, as I've stated from the start.

eBay is calculating the shipping cost for me based on location and the weight of a box I packed in the manner I feel is best to protect these and weighed as a test. I have a 5.0 rating on shipping cost using this method to sell, and they hit it pretty spot on. They are posting the shipping prices, not me.

Already stated as well that if there is a wide difference between what it cost me to pack and ship versus what eBay calculates that I'll make the cost adjustment, even refund the difference if need be.

If these were average condition I wouldn't go through the extra packing efforts. But given they were stored carefully for 30 years I'm going to do so, especially for the rare ones.

Some that have flaws (such as an otherwise mint Defender 2600 that had the UPC cut out, or the Adventure that had the clearance prices written on it by the retailer in pen) will go up later and, yes, for those I will not be going through the same precautions. For those who want a few cheap commons in an envelope, that will be your shot.

Thank you to those who understand my approach and rationale for the extra packing and protection to ensure the near mint boxes remain that way. I guarantee you will appreciate the care I am going through to make sure you get what you pay for.

Edited by OriginalPSP