IGNORED

Huge trash find of vintage video game boxes

OriginalPSP

FYI - These have started shipping now. I had a slight delay in obtaining the backers I wanted to use but most didn't mind waiting until the third batch was finished anyway.

For those noting shipping costs before: I've worked with those in invoicing, and worth note is that, so far, I've been breaking even at best on shipping, losing 40-90 cents a package on average and, at worst, undercharged by $12 for one of the large orders (thanks to the cost of insuring the package).

All domestic US packages should be out by tomorrow. Some of the smaller wins will even start to arrive tomorrow. Larger multi-box winners will start seeing their stuff next week.

-------------------------

I am considering a very small batch of additional auctions on the 20th (like 5 to 7 items). Next big listing spree will be on November 3, though nowhere as large as what I did to myself by listing so many already :)

If anyone who purchased or are considering bidding in the future, I'll be away from most forums and social media until next week, so e-mail me directly off my site or hit eBay, as I'll have notifications turned on for those things.

• 2 weeks later...

Heya,

A big thank you to all the AtariAge community members who've bid and/or won previous listings. All should have their items by now except, perhaps, a few international winners.

Back to listing. I have a very small batch going live tonight at 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern. Busy for the rest of this month, so I've listed pretty much just enough to help cover the eBay fees coming at the end of this month...heh.

Next larger batch will be coming down the pike on November 3.

Here's the link again. Tonight is mostly Atari based with a Coleco and VIC-20 gem thrown in for flavor.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/originalpsp

What's really ironic is that there have been a couple ColecoVision Xonox games in CIB form sold/auctioned off on eBay since your auctions and the winning bids didn't even come close to what your respective Box Only auctions ended at. BTW, the condition was very good on all of them.

I'd say you got yourself some very good marketing/hype building skills! :D

Edited by NIAD

It might have to do as well with collectors who are just in need of the box being out there. I used to see this in arcade collecting circles, too.... where a board could sometimes sell for as much as a whole game... because a person just needed/wanted that one piece.

Heck, I recently paid as much for a working Donkey Kong Coleco tabletop board as I've paid for whole units, simply because I needed just that one bit.

It also could just be a case of one extra bidder that was out of the hunt. eBay is a nutty beast like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay pulled a funny trick on me last night, as the auction for the Atari 5200 Miner 2049er ended 8 seconds early... or at least it appeared to. Timer went 10...9...8.... ENDED. 14 watchers but no last moment bids; appears that eBay trolled me.

A big batch goes up November 3. I appreciate everyone who's helped me out, bid or just been cool.

Edited by OriginalPSP

It might have to do as well with collectors who are just in need of the box being out there. I used to see this in arcade collecting circles, too.... where a board could sometimes sell for as much as a whole game... because a person just needed/wanted that one piece.

Heck, I recently paid as much for a working Donkey Kong Coleco tabletop board as I've paid for whole units, simply because I needed just that one bit.

It also could just be a case of one extra bidder that was out of the hunt. eBay is a nutty beast like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay pulled a funny trick on me last night, as the auction for the Atari 5200 Miner 2049er ended 8 seconds early... or at least it appeared to. Timer went 10...9...8.... ENDED. 14 watchers but no last moment bids; appears that eBay trolled me.

A big batch goes up November 3. I appreciate everyone who's helped me out, bid or just been cool.

Wish it had gone much higher based on who got it. It'll be relisted for $99 in short order.

Ok this is really odd this is the second time we have seen this happen on your auctions....

I was on the ebay mobile app and I watched miner count down all the way to zero on the clock...and it ended somewhere between $60-$80....can't remember exact number.

I was on the fence on placing a bid and then when I saw the end price I figured I never would have gone near that anyway.

it certainly didn't end at $16.15 last night on my end.... :P

hokey ebay shit goin down....

Might even be more common than those two. The first batch saw someone ask me if I'd ended a couple of them a few moments early, as he saw the same thing. Those weren't on rare or uncommon boxes but still.

I know what I saw eBay do with the Miner 5200 box for sure. 8 full seconds vanished on my watch of it.

Slight change of plans. Next big batch starts tomorrow, November 2... rather than Monday, November 3.

This just works out better for my own schedule... and also based on feedback from some other repeat bidders on these finds.

This lets me spread out the listings through the afternoon as well instead of trying to cram them all into the evening hours.

So check back tomorrow. :)

Might even be more common than those two. The first batch saw someone ask me if I'd ended a couple of them a few moments early, as he saw the same thing. Those weren't on rare or uncommon boxes but still.

I know what I saw eBay do with the Miner 5200 box for sure. 8 full seconds vanished on my watch of it.

I would ask ebay about that if I was you. In the last 8 seconds the price could have doubled or tripled for all we know. As far as I can see they have not provided the service they sold you and ripped you off of potential profits.

I would ask ebay about that if I was you. In the last 8 seconds the price could have doubled or tripled for all we know. As far as I can see they have not provided the service they sold you and ripped you off of potential profits.

Indeed! I bid more on a box than it ended up selling for. As if my bid was cancelled during the last few seconds. I saw the confirmation of my bid and status as highest bidder... then poof!

Indeed! I bid more on a box than it ended up selling for. As if my bid was cancelled during the last few seconds. I saw the confirmation of my bid and status as highest bidder... then poof!

I've had that happen to me also. I also once made a bid in the final seconds and was told that i was not the highest bidder but then won the auction for less than my max. I don't think it's something caused by bidders.

I'll certainly be ringing eBay about this on Monday given how many of you are noting this.

Also... have 95 more items scheduled to list tomorrow... pretty much all afternoon and evening. A lot of 2600, 5200, ColecoVision and Commodore VIC-20 in this batch with a few TI 99/4a and Commodore 64 boxes.

All auctions will run for a week. Listings start at 1pm Pacific, 4pm Eastern and are scheduled to list a new item every 5 minutes.

Hopefully eBay won't flub the endings of this batch. :/

Newest listings have started to go live. New ones scheduled to go live every 5 minutes until all 95 auctions have appeared.

Sort of a WWE Royal Rumble for vintage video game boxes almost sent to a landfill. Atari 2600, 5200, Commodore VIC-20 and 64, TI 99/4a and ColecoVision in this batch.

One week auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/originalpsp

Actually at $7998.95 not that I'm tracking or anything :grin:

Sold three VIC-20 boxes off eBay for $100 each as well. Toss that into the till. eBay and PayPal are taking their cuts, of course, and I've lost on shipping quite a few times as well, so my total so far is really just a gross.

Still have the bulk of the find though I listed the rarest stuff already and am working down through uncommons and the like. Eventually I'll work down to the commons and commons with flaws and do small lots.

As of yet, no, I have not contacted the previous owner. Still plan to do something for her when its all done, though.

My friend who'd found them did try to tell her they were collectible. She just wanted 'em gone.

I've read about those amazing collectible finds on the internet for a long time, but never actually thought I'd have one like this myself.

Edited by OriginalPSP