IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

@guus.assmann or anyone that can clarify which roms need to be 'F'lashed to the Mega Speedy. I have read the information on the RealDos website, and download the atr called speedy-roms and I have been able to create a Floppy from this atr, and I know I have to have indicator showing 'FL' and boot with the latch open to get to the flashing menu, now comes the part I am confused about------which roms need to be installed and which roms are already in place.

Thank You for any answer..

@guus.assmann or anyone that can clarify which roms need to be 'F'lashed to the Mega Speedy. I have read the information on the RealDos website, and download the atr called speedy-roms and I have been able to create a Floppy from this atr, and I know I have to have indicator showing 'FL' and boot with the latch open to get to the flashing menu, now comes the part I am confused about------which roms need to be installed and which roms are already in place.

Thank You for any answer..

The ROMs on the speedy-roms.atr are updated/bugfixed ROMs for the original Speedy ROM slots.

Start the flasher from the Mega Speedy, insert your disk, select "1" (Program drive ROM), then "3" ("y" / Speedy). Then enter the slot number (1-4) and the corresponding ROM file (eg D1:SBIBO.ROM or just SBIBO.ROM - you can omit D1:).

If you want to retain the original slot layout as described in the docs use the following slot assignment:

slot 1+4: SBIBO.ROM

slot 2: SHSS.ROM

slot 3: SF2000.ROM

But, of course, you may also assign the slot numbers as you like (eg have Speedy+HSS in slot 1). It's your Mega Speedy, you can do everything you want with it :-)

If you want to use the additional modes (Happy, Archiver, US-Doubler, Supermax) you have to provide the ROMs for these upgrades by yourself - we couldn't include them for copyright reasons. Put them on an ATR or floppy and use the flasher to program the corresponding ROM slots.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

Hello tuf,

Yes, the unit will work just fine without a track display and the encoder.

It would be handy to connect a reset button to JP1.

Just start the Atari and leave the 1050 latch open when you boot. A menu will come up and you can select the floppy's functionality.

BR/

Guus

OK. Got mine about a week ago now but have only just managed to get hold of a 1050 that works since my other two died one me.

Now I'm far from a tech expert but installed it and worked right off the bat. Had a go at installing the front panel too. Far from perfect but I'm happy with it seeing as I lack all basic tools to do the job and had to rely on drills, knives etc.

post-39913-0-96951900-1426255826_thumb.jpg

Edited by djmat56
  • Like 2

Now I'm far from a tech expert but installed it and worked right off the bat. Had a go at installing the front panel too. Far from perfect but I'm happy with it seeing as I lack all basic tools to do the job and had to rely on drills, knives etc.

That's the best-looking front panel installation I've seen so far, and even more commendable given the basic tools used.

That's the best-looking front panel installation I've seen so far, and even more commendable given the basic tools used.

Cheers for that. I knew it would look slightly better if the display was flat on the front but i didn't want to risk cracking the front bezel and where I installed it gave me enough room to cut without getting too close to the edge

OK. Got mine about a week ago now but have only just managed to get hold of a 1050 that works since my other two died one me.

attachicon.gif20150313_140150.jpg

I see nothing wrong with that either. I only hope mine comes out that good.

OK several of the dial codes to work with my SIO and APE, SIO2SD. So I have to remember which code to set before using the second SIO post on the Mega Speedy 1050 set it and then reboot.. WORKS.

OK another update about the SIO problems with APE,ASPEQT, and SIO2SD. Well the problems went away after I flashed all the missing rom slots with the required roms or duplicates..

The FLASH program is superb just needed attention to detail and also not to FAT finger any wrong keys.

• Like 1

Okay some more update: Preliminary .stl file is here

FrontSide.JPG

That is incredible! My printer should be able to handle this - I can do an 8*8 and the bezel comes in at 7.75" :)

Are you planning on duplicating the "flat" area where the power switch and LED are? That would be my preferred look for the bezel but I cannot do the design work for anything more complex that a hollow cube.

• Like 3

The FLASH program is superb

Thanks!

just needed attention to detail and also not to FAT finger any wrong keys.

FYI: if you accidentally hit the wrong key pressing BREAK will abort the current operation/menu and bring you back to the main menu.

Every now and then I use that feature, too :-)

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

That is right, and indeed... that is something I actually would use. But can I buy those complete build, or do I have to solder them myself? If you do sell them, built and tested, please contact me... I'm absolutely interested in that!

Yes, you can still order SIO2BT and you can decide if you like to do some soldering or not.

You have a PM.

• Like 1

That is incredible! My printer should be able to handle this - I can do an 8*8 and the bezel comes in at 7.75" :)

Are you planning on duplicating the "flat" area where the power switch and LED are? That would be my preferred look for the bezel but I cannot do the design work for anything more complex that a hollow cube.

That's the idea. To allow almost unlimited customization of the bezel. ;-)

• Like 1

I am using an old version of Solidworks. Had a couple of college courses in 3dsMax a few years ago, so that gave me some background in 3d design. But I am mainly self taught and watched a lot of YouTube videos. Solidworks is relatively easy to learn and fairly powerfull.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20150313_140150.jpg

Nice but that was exactly how I not wanted it to be on mine. It's close to impossible to read the display if the drive is on a table or desk and the knob close to impossible to turn.

I am using an old version of Solidworks. Had a couple of college courses in 3dsMax a few years ago, so that gave me some background in 3d design. But I am mainly self taught and watched a lot of YouTube videos. Solidworks is relatively easy to learn and fairly powerfull.

When printing this, was it designed to have supports printed? I was going to attempt a very lightweight test print today, but wasn't sure if I should use supports. If I do it will double the print time and materials used, and looks like cleanup will be a bear. I suppose I should just test it without and see how it goes.

When printing this, was it designed to have supports printed? I was going to attempt a very lightweight test print today, but wasn't sure if I should use supports. If I do it will double the print time and materials used, and looks like cleanup will be a bear. I suppose I should just test it without and see how it goes.

Yes, even the front is not completely flat. My slicer is saying ~ 4hrs with raft and supports. I wouldn't try without them. With that long a print time I would think you would need them.

The ROMs on the speedy-roms.atr are updated/bugfixed ROMs for the original Speedy ROM slots.

Start the flasher from the Mega Speedy, insert your disk, select "1" (Program drive ROM), then "3" ("y" / Speedy). Then enter the slot number (1-4) and the corresponding ROM file (eg D1:SBIBO.ROM or just SBIBO.ROM - you can omit D1:).

If you want to retain the original slot layout as described in the docs use the following slot assignment:

slot 1+4: SBIBO.ROM

slot 2: SHSS.ROM

slot 3: SF2000.ROM

But, of course, you may also assign the slot numbers as you like (eg have Speedy+HSS in slot 1). It's your Mega Speedy, you can do everything you want with it :-)

If you want to use the additional modes (Happy, Archiver, US-Doubler, Supermax) you have to provide the ROMs for these upgrades by yourself - we couldn't include them for copyright reasons. Put them on an ATR or floppy and use the flasher to program the corresponding ROM slots.

so long,

Hias

Hello all you Mega Speedy Owners.

My Wife and I own the RealDos.net Web site. We are were very happy when Guus Asked us to be Beta Testers and Web Site Designers for the Mega Speedy Install Documentation and review page. When you received your Mega Speedy it only has a small amount of firmware preinstalled.

Warning! Warning! Warning!

Trying to do this without proper tools and skills can damage your Mega Speedy beyond repair.

If you have the proper tools and EPROM programmer that can program flash chips. I can send you the Flash firmware that you can program your Mega Speedy up to current firmware we are using. If you ask me how to do this I know you do not know what you are doing and I will not send this to a novice hardware geek.

By Asking me to e-mail this firmware you are telling me you own each of these 1050 Drive Upgrades.

"E" Mega Speedy

"S" Super Speedy

"y" Speedy

"o" original 1050

"t" 1050 Turbo

"H" Happy

"U" US Doubler

"A" Super Archiver

"d" 1050 Duplicator

"u" SuperMax

I also have an ATR that contains all the info you need to program your mega speedy. Here is a link to the web page.

http://www.realdos.net/MegaDownload.html

Then the file you are looking for is:

Mega Speedy ATR From Guus!

Mega Speedy Roms and Flash Program 3/8/2015

Thanks! SJC

My e-mail address is on my web site!

Hello all you Mega Speedy Owners.

My Wife and I own the RealDos.net Web site. We are were very happy when Guus Asked us to be Beta Testers and Web Site Designers for the Mega Speedy Install Documentation and review page. When you received your Mega Speedy it only has a small amount of firmware preinstalled.

Warning! Warning! Warning!

Trying to do this without proper tools and skills can damage your Mega Speedy beyond repair.

If you have the proper tools and EPROM programmer that can program flash chips. I can send you the Flash firmware that you can program your Mega Speedy up to current firmware we are using. If you ask me how to do this I know you do not know what you are doing and I will not send this to a novice hardware geek.

By Asking me to e-mail this firmware you are telling me you own each of these 1050 Drive Upgrades.

"E" Mega Speedy

"S" Super Speedy

"y" Speedy

"o" original 1050

"t" 1050 Turbo

"H" Happy

"U" US Doubler

"A" Super Archiver

"d" 1050 Duplicator

"u" SuperMax

I also have an ATR that contains all the info you need to program your mega speedy. Here is a link to the web page.

http://www.realdos.net/MegaDownload.html

Then the file you are looking for is:

Mega Speedy ATR From Guus!

Mega Speedy Roms and Flash Program 3/8/2015

Thanks! SJC

My e-mail address is on my web site!

Here is another way to flash the Mega Speedy with out the need of pulling a chip and flashing it.

There's a less invasive way to add the Roms that also doesn't require any extra equipment.

Just use the flasher menu that's build in the unit.

Set the emulation to "FL" and boot the Atari with open latch.

Then, from the black menu enter "F" and "Return" to Invoke the flash menu.

A blue screen with many options will appear.

One of the options will give information on the slots that have been programmed and the empty ones. ( These will show "-" and a programmed one will give a number or a dot )

There's one option to program the slots, one at the time.

Flashing all slots will take less than 5 minutes.

Just put a real floppy with all files from the ART in the drive or attach the ATR in some way.

Steve

@Dropcheck -- Instead of creating a whole new bezel, have you considered a small "box" to house the display unit and attach to the existing bezel? Surely would be easier to create and probably take 10% of the material.

Attachment would come from two "posts" that would snap into holes drilled into the bezel and then secured with push-on retainers or hot melt (which is easily removed with IPA). User can paint as he/she chooses.

If/when I install mine, I'll attempt to make a mock-up out of 1/8" plywood. Way too thick, but should give a good idea if it is feasible.

-Larry

• Like 1