IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Oh, you wrote "is to be announced". My apologies for misreading.

There are some games I think working on but they will not announce them, I got this from some small indie game publisher that hint to it but unless its announce it just rumors.

http://www.retrovgs.com/f.a.q..html

System Specifications

Disclaimer: We reserve right to make improvements and appropriate adjustments as necessitated by forces outside of our control.

Processing

• Unprecedented massive parallel processing at bit level via FPGA (field-programmable gate array) with 49,000 logic elements (LEs), programmable via cartridge and/or media processor—the ultimate game enhancement chip!
  • Fast sequential processing through media processor with 32-bit ARM Cortex-A8 @ 1.2 GHz, 3-D processor, blitter, and more

Memory

• 1 GiB high-bandwidth dual-channel 32-bit DDR3-1600 DRAM (102.4 Gbps) via media processor
  • 384 MiB fast 24-bit DDR DRAM and 32 MiB SDR DRAM via FPGA
  • 1 MiB shared DMA buffer

Cartridge Interface

• Durable USA-made application-appropriate edge connector with thick gold on contacts
  • Media independent, supporting multiple data bus widths and switching voltage levels
  • Bus transfer speed: variable, up to 1.6 Gbps

Game Controller Interface

• 4 USB (Universal Serial Bus) ports (standard A) for included game controllers, etc.
  • 2 plastic DE-9P (male) connectors with variable pinout for any classic game controller with mating connector, or similar player-built game controllers

Host Connector

• 1 USB port (standard B) to host PC or other Retro VGS console for synchronized play

Audio/Video Output

• Simultaneous video output via digital HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) and analog intermediate frequency (IF) NTSC (PAL support under consideration), so game sessions may easy be captured or recorded
  • HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) support planned
  • Power output for Sony RFU modules, for connection to televisions without line in
  • Resolution: up to 1920 × 1080 from media processor and/or FPGA; media processor may overlay, upscale, and otherwise process video from FPGA
  • Frame rate (maximum):
  • From media processor: 30 Hz and 60 Hz (up to 1080p/60)
  • From FPGA: 1080p up to 30 Hz (1080p/30) and 720 up to 60 Hz (720p/60), may be upscaled by media processor to 1080p/60
  • Color palette: up to 24-bit true color (>16.7 million colors) from media processor and/or FPGA
  • High-resolution audio output, with bi-directional audio interface between media processor and FPGA enabling flexible audio processing

Connectivity

• 9-pin mini DIN: RGB or component using Sega Genesis MK II/Nomad/32X cables
  • 4-pin mini DIN: S-Video (Y/C)
  • RCA (yellow): composite CVBS (color, video, blanking, and sync)
  • RCA (white): left channel audio or mono audio (if right channel not connected)
  • RCA (red): right channel audio

Power

• External global power adapter with cable/plug included for destination country

Cooling

• Convection-cooled, no noisy fan to wear out

Regulatory Certifications

• Global: CSA, EU CE, US FCC, US UL, etc.

Edited for legibility.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 2

Looking good!

There is no firmware to upgrade. We're making this system in such a way that in 30 years from now when you plug in a game, the system won't have to rely on a bunch of garbage updates from servers that won't even be there! Most next gen games have a lifespan of 6 to 10 years because they need to ping a server for some kind of crap reason. This will be totally self contained and not have to rely on updates.

Is the RETRO VGS updatable? Will there be patches?
(Steve Woita) We wanted to avoid any architecture that would need internet connection for updates. We want the whole system to be update free and not dependent on a server being around 30 years from now.

This is a huge HUGE plus! And I like that. In a sense all cartridge-based systems are updatable. The new information is, well, within the cartridge.

What there needs to be, now, are cartridge adapters or multicarts like Harmony on the 2600. This shouldn't be difficult technically, because all you have to do is read the Game Program. Do you guys have any idea how desirable this would be?

One other thing, the cartridges themselves - talking about multi-carts here - would be updatable by plugging in a new SD-card. A freshly made SD-card you prepare on your PC. An SD-card FULL OF ROMS! I know several people, in fact a lot, that would jump all over something like that.

Edited by Keatah

An SD-card FULL OF ROMS! I know several people, in fact a lot, that would jump all over something like that.

I'm sure there would be people interested in that.

I'm also sure they have absolutely no reason whatsoever to provide that to customers so they can make no money.

• Like 4

Well retro games do not need that kind of power anyway, seriously PS1 3D is now 20Y old ... so yeah ... apart the FPGA this thing is marginally more powerful than a Raspberry Pi 2, and the FPGA at 49K LE is not really anything to talk home about ...

https://www.altera.com/products/fpga/cyclone-series/cyclone-v/features.html

Edited by phoenixdownita

Well retro games do not need that kind of power anyway, seriously PS1 3D is now 20Y old ... so yeah ... apart the FPGA this thing is marginally more powerful than a Raspberry Pi 2, and the FPGA at 49K LE is not really anything to talk home about ...

Well at least we know what we are dealing with. I think the ARM will be ample considering what the RetroVGS is. Even the Pi2 is great. Sans the FPGA, a Pi 2 has almost everything the RetroVGS has. Just stick a cart port on the GPIO and install custom firmware to the SD.

This guy says a goal of his from-scratch rewrite Jaguar FPGA code is to move it to a CycloneV from his CycloneIII. I wonder if it would work on the RVGS? http://scpcd.free.fr/

• Like 1

This is a good editorial from Gamasutra: With Ouya's demise, is the dream of the microconsole dead?

The RetroVGS team will no doubt face similar issues, although I suspect their economic model is quite different, i.e., if they get a similar amount of backers for their Kickstarter then they may be able to have a sustainable niche business, particularly without an online infrastructure to contend with.

• Like 1

This is a good editorial from Gamasutra: With Ouya's demise, is the dream of the microconsole dead?

The RetroVGS team will no doubt face similar issues, although I suspect their economic model is quite different, i.e., if they get a similar amount of backers for their Kickstarter then they may be able to have a sustainable niche business, particularly without an online infrastructure to contend with.

Neat little read. Besides being polar opposites aside from the "micro" thing and small userbase, the RetroVGS needs to find a way to succede on it's own metits. I supported Ouya and it has been an intriguing experience to say the least, I hope the RetroVGS guys come up with an awesome development kit. Original games are a must. Relying on the FPGA to "clone" other consoles (which much of the target market already owns) so devs can port existing homebrew doesn't cut it. If I want to play an SNES homebrew, I'll get the SNES version and play it natively. If "new" games or physical releases of existing indie titles come to RetroVGS, then this will make the RetroVGS worth owning in my eyes.

This guy says a goal of his from-scratch rewrite Jaguar FPGA code is to move it to a CycloneV from his CycloneIII. I wonder if it would work on the RVGS? http://scpcd.free.fr/

What would the point be? I get the engineering goal of making an FPGA Jag, but what would the point of having the RVGS support a Jag core be? So you can play Jag games that are on carts that have Jag shells, but not Jaguar internals on a console that has a Jag shell but different internals? If one wants to play Jag games, why not play them today on the actual Jaguar?

• Like 1

I would think more here would like the idea of a new console, I guess if it fails many here will be happy so I guess thats good i guess :| ... Just remember I predict the next Nintendo will have no CD drive, it will kill off Nintendo as a hard ware company and yet Sony and Xbox will do the same and succeed, making the cheapest system at the highest price let to be seen. If this happens, I demand you buy me the next round of beers or coffee soda.

I'm still locked in the bit-thinking....

How many bits are there under the hood??? 32??

• Fast sequential processing through media processor with 32-bit ARM Cortex-A8 @ 1.2 GHz, 3-D processor, blitter, and more

SWEET, 32-bit that might open for some fun 3D nad if so I'm in, at a later date after the fund run

never bought those systems, have no emo conntection to them, like carts, like a new system within my taste so-so coming...

my systems: neo geo aes, jag, genesis, 2600, amiga cd32, lynx, n64, dreamcast... i baled around year 2000 from consoles. VGS could blend well in i think if it has some fun hipster retro-punk exclusives

won't dig into more systems form the past... don't have the time or interest to study them and find games, a new one of this style... maybe...

Atlantis, I hope to play the neo geo, back in the day they cost about the same as a new JAG and CD. I loved the reviews but few store had them and the price was way more them I could have paid. Sad that they still have high price tags, this Retro system may too be too high, don't ask what some say it may cost, its about the same as a neo geo / jag CD system on ebay. I hope I am wrong on the price..