IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

If they get their cart shells down to $2 (or preferably below) the homebrewers will be lining up at their door for them.

$8 is insane.

What would they do with their fat stacks of $2 carts? Make jag homebrew?

As small as the jag install base is these days, it's probably larger than rvgs' could hope to be--even if the rvgs was better thought out, and had some decent backing.

Not to mention the jag already has a board inside of it--green with squares all over it--and a coherant concept of what the system should do.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm willing to bet most of us didn't actively collect and think about preservation when were teens or pre-teens. Those of us lucky enough to still have our original hardware from childhood seemed to have kept it by happenstance.

At least it was that way for me. I was hesitant to throw out and let go of all the Apple II paraphernalia because I worked so hard to get it. Mowing lawns and running errands for the seniors. Sweeping the sidewalks, hauling trash.. And somewhere between those days and today this stuff became important keepsakes. But I sure as hell didn't keep the stuff because I thought I could sell it and make bux deluxe or be a savior to some poor sap looking for a bit of technical knowledge from a manuals. Or even for future nostalgic purposes. No - that stuff just sort of creeps up on you.

But it has been shown time and time again if you allow for patching for bugs in a consumer system.. Somehow, someway, the system will be perverted into allowing for microtransactions and online verifications from temporary servers.

Yes. I don't think I ever really started thinking about "collecting" the stuff until 2006 or so when I went out and bought a Genesis and got into the whole collecting thing. My stuff from when I was a kid is in good enough shape (dust sleeves, stored on shelves, etc.) but I never thought about saving manuals or boxes or anything. Which seems to suggest another issue with RVGS, is the collector market large enough to support a device like this? Seems like those casual somethings and kid gamers would still be important demographics to bring it out of the hobbyist community and into the mainstream.

Others have said it in this topic but RVGS is probably targeting a market that doesn't actually exist. Gamestop has built its business around people trading in their stuff when they got bored of it...how many are like us and horde the damn games?

I can't look away from this thread.

It's like a crowd-written book that has dreams, scandal, humor, betrayal, torches, and now: Romance.

(though I wish they'd just have rolled out a viable prototype and saved us all the trouble)

Game of Thrones has nothing on this thread... well... except dragons maybe.

Has anyone mentioned dragons?

• Like 2

motherboard_by_stardust4ever.jpg

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/MotherBoard-123100184

Dream PC I cobbled together in Bryce back in 2003. No case because nothing could contain it's awesomeness. Massively overclocked dual Athlon XP 3000 with 3Gb RAM and a 500Gb harddrive. Note the extra thick PCB. Must have at least 100 copper planes in there. Pretty tame by todays standards but at least the girl warming her tush on the HD is cute.

Yes but do you have a case for it! Because clearly, that's what will make this console successful... and the cheap Chinese controller.

That's where I'd fail. I'd just use an existing rectangular case and we all know game consoles are superior with cool angles and curves.

BTW, is the girl a bobblehead? You should make her a bobblehead!

Make her a lifesize inflatable doll as a stretch goal! Or would that be a reward? Free inflatable girlfriend when you spend twice as much!

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 3

After my negative post to kevtris then because I feel bad about it I said to myself I would stop posting about the RETRO VGS but there is 2 or 3 supporters of this that likes it but just had to back out, when people that want this to work and been with it in the early days backs out then they and we must think about this project and if it can be rebooted.

No one from the VGS team has posted in a day and with this Indiegogo and paypal thing it can give them a excuse to let them pull back and reboot this thing the way you want them to do it, even if it takes a year... I will stay in it to the end but I can not tell others to when the firsts and vocal supporters from the beginning back out but still say they REALY want this to do well and will back them again.

The Indiegogo and paypal thing is real but not in big sums (i don't think), I think its the fact that every time you give it says it as a new donation and person at first and when you up one it refunds then takes it out but not in the refund. So what ever it is i don't like indiegogo. Don't care about the money up front its just they list me as like 5 donors and 2 refunds that I wants to up not refund but it now sits in limbo for it takes time for paypal and my bank to transfer..

Hi. I am new here. I thought that I might as well enter the discussion.

I remember listening to Scott and the others on RGR when they began, but even though I am a avid podcast listener the show didn't do anything for me.

I only recently heard about the Retro VGS, and I cannot fathom how three grown men can't see that what they are doing is entertaining a pipe dream. I have a 'way of life' that always pushes me to let reality in. Mike Kennedy is 45, the others are 60-ish, yes? Talking about 30 40-100 thousand units sold in the first year etc. etc. I could never have the stomach for this, I would doubt myself to no end.

I did a write-up on my site about this, one of my points was that Mike Kennedy having a university degree in marketingm made me happy that I chose science :) I am allergic to those kind of sales pitches and they just do not work on me. I would assume that most people on a forum like this belongs to the same function-over-form segment.

Three old men cannot fight the future. A future that is already 20 years old. Indie games are plentiful because of digital distribution, it would die if cartridges were brought back.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Edited by AE35
  • Like 1

Hi. I am new here. I thought that I might as well enter the discussion.

I remember listening to Scott and the others on RGR when they began, but even though I am a avid podcast listener the show didn't do anything for me.

I only recently heard about the Retro VGS, and I cannot fathom how three grown men can't see that what they are doing is entertaining a pipe dream. I have a 'way of life' that always pushes me to let reality in. Mike Kennedy is 45, the others are 60-ish, yes? Talking about 30 40-100 thousand units sold in the first year etc. etc. I could never have the stomach for this, I would doubt myself to no end.

I did a write-up on my site about this, one of my points was that Mike Kennedy having a university degree in marketingm made me happy that I chose science :) I am allergic to those kind of sales pitches and they just do not work on me. I would assume that most people on a forum like this belongs to the same function-over-form segment.

Three old men cannot fight the future. A future that is already 20 years old. Indie games are plentiful because of digital distribution, it would die if cartridges were brought back.

Thanks,

Nicholas

You know your on a site where its majority old men right?

We prefer the term "Experienced" or being called OG's (Original Gamers)

• Like 5