IGNORED

Coleco Turbo "Prototype" RELEASED !

Bushie2600

!! I went to bed yesterday after reading the thread thinking a new proto had been found - all I can say is 'BRILLIANT'. This was harmless and will go down as one of the funnier hoaxes of all Atari-time - let it be a lesson that didn't cost you a cent.

Suffice it to say, there are people on this board with WAY too much time on their hands!! (you know who you are)

Dunno what this says about authenticity, but...

Both the TURBO.BIN binary and the Smurfs - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (1982) (Coleco).bin binary (md5sum 3d1e83afdb4265fa2fb84819c9cfd39c) are 8K,

and the last 4K are identiical.

If it is a hoax, someone went through some odd contortions to get the two binaries to match up like that. :wink:

Looking back on the posts, what is so funny is how how sometimes its just so hard to see something for what it is when you REALLY want to believe otherwise. Just to give credit where credit is due to the skeptics:

Inky first suspected a hoax; and Moycon first suspected Thomas.

How long has this been brewing, and how many hours did it take you to get that to work, Thomas?

The idea started when the McDonalds proto surfaced, because for me it was hard to believe that people would any money for that. And since we had discussed about Turbo and how it might be programmed just a few weeks before, I thought this would be a nice game to base the joke on.

I had then forgotten the whole idea until this thread.

First I only wanted to create a dead simple mockup, only showing the buildings (as simple as McDonalds). But while programming that and discussing about the joke details (story, hiding IP adresses, Bushies name etc.) with Albert, it became more and more fun and so I added the second building pattern, the score, the cars, some sounds and some minimum control until the "game" became what it is now. Finally I added the April Fools screen (we where discussing a lot how hard it should be to find it), where I could reuse some code from the Robot City title screen. Then Albert was running out of time due to PC4 and fortunately CPUWIZ took over. :thumbsup:

So it all started in late February and the programming was almost ready two or three weeks later. The remaining time was used to prepare the hardware, finetune the story etc. and having a lot of fun in advance. :)

Looking back on the posts, what is so funny is how how sometimes its just so hard to see something for what it is when you REALLY want to believe otherwise. Just to give credit where credit is due to the skeptics:

Inky first suspected a hoax; and Moycon first suspected Thomas.

From now on I believe NOTHING on 4-01

Not even my own posts, because those may have been a joke too.

:D

First I only wanted to create a dead simple mockup, only showing the buildings (as simple as McDonalds). But while programming that and discussing about the joke details (story, hiding IP adresses, Bushies name etc.) with Albert, it became more and more fun and so I added the second building pattern, the score, the cars, some sounds and some minimum control until the "game" became what it is now. Finally I added the April Fools screen (we where discussing a lot how hard it should be to find it), where I could reuse some code from the Robot City title screen. Then Albert was running out of time due to PC4 and fortunately CPUWIZ took over. :thumbsup:

So it all started in late February and the programming was almost ready two or three weeks later. The remaining time was used to prepare the hardware, finetune the story etc. and having a lot of fun in advance. :)

So my only question is this:

If you could make a mock-up prank version look this good with that much effort, how much more effort would it take to turn it into a real pseudo-Turbo game? You could make the payoff for those of us who felt burned by it worthwhile and have it be an exclusive release at the CGExpo. :D

If you could make a mock-up prank version look this good with that much effort, how much more effort would it take to turn it into a real pseudo-Turbo game?  You could make the payoff for those of us who felt burned by it worthwhile and have it be an exclusive release at the CGExpo. :D

Hm, since the design was never meant to last I would have to do large parts from scratch again. And then it depends howe much Turbo you want (different scenarios, paddles or joystick etc.).

But IMO the major problem is, that I don't think the game would be much fun to play. And there already is Enduro! :)

I wasn't following this drama past April 1st... and just caught up on this thread today....... Thomas, CPUWIZ,Al......god DAMN that was a good one!

After being awash in a sea of lame-ass April Fools pranks on other sites....this one is impressive and nicely pulled off! *Applause* :thumbsup:

If you could make a mock-up prank version look this good with that much effort, how much more effort would it take to turn it into a real pseudo-Turbo game?  You could make the payoff for those of us who felt burned by it worthwhile and have it be an exclusive release at the CGExpo. :D

Hm, since the design was never meant to last I would have to do large parts from scratch again. And then it depends howe much Turbo you want (different scenarios, paddles or joystick etc.).

But IMO the major problem is, that I don't think the game would be much fun to play. And there already is Enduro! :)

Well, It would be fun if you could blow things up! yes, cars, buildings, everything, like in "Thunderblade" or that racing game from atari - "Road Blaster".

Just out of curiosity, where in Connecticut was this flea market and when did you go?  I'm from Connecticut myself and I have to say that I'm somewhat curious about what flea markets have been open recently since it's been somewhat cold recently.

It's classified. I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya :P

• 11 months later...