IGNORED

Coleco Turbo "Prototype" RELEASED !

Bushie2600

Well the problem is when you got active guys like Slocum / Thomas who are 100% capable of making one of these.. I guess you GOTTA be wary ;) (Remember Thomas' tanks "FOUND" in River Raid hoax?)  :roll:

Also I wouldn't discount Andrew Davie's sense of humor. And he's in the area.

Could be a troika of fools. ;) :D

The best way to test if he's really Australian is to ask him what beer he drinks and who his hero is.. (It should be Fosters and Crocodile Dundee...or the Crocodile Hunter). And how come he doesn't say "G'day"? :? This is looking suspicious...  :x

Oh puuuullleeeezzzz,, Give me a break. What century are you from pal?

Noone drinks fosters except for tourists

Crocodile dundee was nothing more than an embarresment, The crocodile hunter is more popular in the states.

Would you like to hear some UNIVERSAL generalizations about americans?? No? I dont want to give them because forunately im not that ignorant or arrogant.

What!!!???!!! You mean Paul Hogan isn't seen as a GOD in Australia :P

There be choc-ful-o-sarcasm in that there quote.

Very interesting indeed. Too bad there is no way to tell if the game was written recently or not. It doesn't really do much and I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult for the experienced 2600 programmers among us to write up something like that.

Good find if true, but I'll remain skeptical to the end. Especially since it's April 1.

One of the benefits of my current job (game programmer) is that on my team I work with a man (Paul J.) who title was "Director of Game Development" at Coleco circa 1982-1985. (Sean Kelly can vouch for this - He's got some unreleased ROMs and marketing materials that he's working on getting released from him)

Anyway, upon seeing this, I just called him up to ask if this was legit.

His Response (paraphrasing here) : "Yes, that could very well be real. That's the correct cartridge board. code was written for turbo, and far enough along that it produced that (city) display."

Further discussion revealed. "The game got axed because we determined that we were technically unable to generate the scenes where there was buildings or wall on one side and ground or cliff on the other. Thus we couldn't do a port similar enough to the Colecovision Version. Our competition for this was Night Driver" (Yes, the last part seems odd).

This reduces (though does not eliminate) the likelihood of an April Fools hoax....

Our competition for this was Night Driver" (Yes, the last part seems odd).

This reduces (though does not eliminate) the likelihood of an April Fools hoax....

Night driver was quite revolutionary for its time. Although nothing compared to Enduro. That game is one of the best games ever produced for Atari.

Too bad the game was never finished. You have an awesome find. As you can tell the trolls came out for this one. Did you happen to see the number of times the screenshots were downloaded? Unbelievabel! Just goes to show there is an ATARI TROLL in all of us. You crossed the bridge and the price to cross was a ROM dump. Again, thanks for sharing. Hope we are all as lucky as your find! Maybe TURBO could find its way to the hack section and maybe we could see a finished product. Too cool!

Anyway best of luck and hold on tight to that proto. :D

I'm sure that review from above isn't from Electronic Games. They never gave numerical or star ratings in their regular magazine, maybe in a special edition guide.

I had the EG issue, there wasn't a picture accompanying the review, it was about 4 paragraphs long spread over two pages. memory can be tricky of course, but I know EG didn't give numerical ratings.

I should clarify. It was from EG's 1983 Software Encyclopedia (page 33 - I scanned the review). This was a one-off issue which had short reviews and rating numbers for games for all of the systems out at the time.

Of the EG issues I have, that was the only review I ever saw of Turbo. I'll have to check again and see when my collection starts, and if I'm missing any in that stretch. Maybe someone else with the missing issues can find a longer review.

His Response (paraphrasing here) :  "Yes, that could very well be real.   That's the correct cartridge board.   code was written for turbo, and far enough along that it produced that (city) display."

Further discussion revealed.  "The game got axed because we determined that we were technically unable to generate the scenes where there was buildings or wall on one side and ground or cliff on the other.   Thus we couldn't do a port similar enough to the Colecovision Version.   Our competition for this was Night Driver" (Yes, the last part seems odd).

That sure makes a lot of sense, and is something I was wondering about. The scenes he's referring to (different things on either side) were the curved portions of the road. The way they've got Turbo going now, I don't see how they could put curves in the road. Night Driver did have them, and (until Enduro) was the only first-person driving game on the 2600. I'm pretty sure Turbo was being worked on before Enduro came out. Or Pole Position, for that matter. Either way, curving roads would have been the standard to match.

If I'd been working on Turbo and saw Enduro, I probably would've packed it in, too. ;)

His Response (paraphrasing here) :  "Yes, that could very well be real.   That's the correct cartridge board.   code was written for turbo, and far enough along that it produced that (city) display."

This really kills me. :lolblue:

I should clarify. It was from EG's 1983 Software Encyclopedia (page 33 - I scanned the review). This was a one-off issue which had short reviews and rating numbers for games for all of the systems out at the time.

Of the EG issues I have, that was the only review I ever saw of Turbo. I'll have to check again and see when my collection starts, and if I'm missing any in that stretch. Maybe someone else with the missing issues can find a longer review.

FWIW, that same brief review also appears word-for-word on page 101 in the 2600 section of EG's 1984 Software Encyclopedia, 2nd Annual Edition, which is conveniently sitting here by my computer. The formatting of the numerical ratings at the top is slightly different, but the text is the same. This particular issue has no game photos or artwork, just B&W newsprint pages of reviews, most recyled from the first edition, I imagine.

This same issue also has a "review" of Coleco's Lady Bug (their spacing) for the 2600 (p94). A good imagination and a talent for rewriting promotional copy were apparently job requirements for game reviewers even back then. :)

The best way to test if he's really Australian is to ask him what beer he drinks and who his hero is.. (It should be Fosters and Crocodile Dundee...or the Crocodile Hunter). And how come he doesn't say "G'day"? :? This is looking suspicious...  :x

Oh puuuullleeeezzzz,, Give me a break. What century are you from pal?

Noone drinks fosters except for tourists

Crocodile dundee was nothing more than an embarresment, The crocodile hunter is more popular in the states.

Would you like to hear some UNIVERSAL generalizations about americans?? No? I dont want to give them because forunately im not that ignorant or arrogant.

:lol: Do you always fall for trolls so easily? :lol:

It was a joke dude :) ;) Nukey obviously got it :D

Hmmm accelerate eh thomas. I should fire up this damn game and try it out. It's almost after April 1 here on the West coast so let the damn cat out of the bag already ya bastards! :D