IGNORED

Coleco Turbo "Prototype" RELEASED !

Bushie2600

That's one reason I'm a little skeptical... the screenshots match the concept artwork almost exactly.

AFAIK the concept artworks of all catalog-only games from Coleco look very correct and doable for the 2600. The resolution of the playfield and the sprites are correct, they know about reflecting playfield, the color limitations, 6 digit scores, etc.

Maybe they always really programmed something first before announcing a game. I remember there was an early "shot" from Smurf showing a picture which was perfect in 2600 limits but never used for the final game. This was discussed here.

So could this be some of those prof-of-concept prototypes they based the catalog pictures on?

Paddles.  It uses paddles.  

Tempest

I could have sworn that I read somewhere, perhaps the Coleco game catalog, that Turbo was to use a steering-wheel controller similiar, but not the same as the Indy500 controllers.

Or this could just be my childhood memory perceptions being muddled like Godzilla was commenting about.

I had an idea for an April Fool's Day game, but didn't have time to develop the joke. Maybe I'll do it next year. :D

I could have sworn that I read somewhere, perhaps the Coleco game catalog, that Turbo was to use a steering-wheel controller similiar, but not the same as the Indy500 controllers.

Wasn't that only for the Coleco console?

If Tempest say paddles, I wouldn't doubt that. But I really would like to know how he knows. ;)

However you want to do it. If you can post an mpeg...By all means.

If all you can do is a screen capture like you did above, but 5 times in a row. That would probably work as well. The trick is to do it quickly so people dont think your playing doctor.

I have made a GIF anim of the frames which makes it easier to see how it moves. turbo_anim.gif

Cool 8)

I wonder why the colors are wrong? Bushie, have you tried switching the palette? (with '-')

EDIT: I checked it, the colors seem to be from the z26 PAL-Palette! Obviously this game is detected wrong by the emulator (probably due to displaying to many scanlines/frame).

:idea: You should use '-' until the colors look correct!

I thought I'd check something. If I recall, the 2600's playfield graphics (which apparently make up the buildings here) have to be 40 pixels across, correct?

So I checked it, using a Photoshop template I made for mocking up some Tron screenshots.

There are 40 white blocks (two offset rows of 20) going across the screen, and the playfield elements line up perfectly with them:

turbo1.gif

turbo2.gif

There appears to only be two backgrounds used, so I would think that they'd tend to strobe as they went by. But maybe it works okay.

As for my earlier comment about the game matching the catalog artwork so closely, I suppose they would have had to lay everything out on graph paper when designing these games, so that would account for it. But an awful lot of games never seemed to match their catalog art. I suppose that can be chalked up to creative license.

Anyway, I'm less skeptical than I was. I've been waiting 20 years to see this game... I'd love the chance to run it in Stella.